Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When ?.....Its the ONLY important question.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I asked here about four months ago, and nine months ago.

Why is this game even advertised when nothing even indicates a release date ?

" When " is the only important question as far as I could see.  We have a lot of speculation to mechanics but very few facts.  Why even guess at this point......Why is EverQuest Next even on the list ?

- Is it Sony Online or mmorpg.com that is responsible for this hype ?......I'm kind of leaning towards mmorpg for even adding it. 

Advertising now is like Ford announcing there will be a 2027 Ford Mustang. Then stopping all announcements after that statement !

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    No, the what and the how are much more important, when is irrelevant if the answers to the first two are disagreeable.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Well, they said 2014, which in Dev speak means 2015 or maybe 2016.

One nice thing is with Landmark out you know they have some of the work done. I hope that what they're doing now that's pushing the release back is adding some more healing into the game. (I'm Selfish that way)

I think they're using Landmark as an alpha for EQN what with the PvP and such going on there.

Asdar

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by asdar

Well, they said 2014, which in Dev speak means 2015 or maybe 2016.

One nice thing is with Landmark out you know they have some of the work done. I hope that what they're doing now that's pushing the release back is adding some more healing into the game. (I'm Selfish that way)

I think they're using Landmark as an alpha for EQN what with the PvP and such going on there.

SoE has never mentioned a date for EQN. The only date that was mentioned was on August 2nd 2013 when Mr. Smedley said: "Players will have something to play this year". That was delayed to January 31st 2014 when EQ Landmark Alpha started. News about EQN since the opening of Landmark has been very minimal.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

The game will fail to meet your expectations to be the dream MMO you've been looking for, just like every other game released after WoW. The sensible thing to do would be to enjoy the wait, because it's going to be the only time you're happy with the game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

a Smed guesstimate for 2015

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/?limit=500

What does the Long Term release look like for EQN? Will it be around the end of this year, or does it look more like late next year?

j_smedley:
    not sure yet. Likely sometime next year.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by delete5230
    Advertising now is like Ford announcing there will be a 2027 Ford Mustang. Then stopping all announcements after that statement !

Not true.

Announcing a 2027 Mustang implies a 2026-2027 release date.
    EQN has no implied release date.

Also, EQN has EQL (which amounts to a semi-playable tech demo in my opinion). You don't get alpha/beta tests for cars (typically, anyway), or drivable tech demos released to the public (that you get the privilege of paying for).

MMORPG has a good history of listing forums for games once they are announced, not released. That isn't anything unusual, and I think it good because a good bit of the traffic does occur on pre-released games. Speculation is the most fun part about a release. (The second best part is in writing your "I told you so" posts after release).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/?limit=500

What does the Long Term release look like for EQN? Will it be around the end of this year, or does it look more like late next year?

j_smedley:

I personally could see it easily getting here in 2016 tbh.

No rush though, they need to get this one right. Whatever they decide is the core philosophy of the game it has to be 100% on the delivery or SOE will be in big trouble I think.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i agree, i'm expecting 2016 myself,  with a beta in late 2015
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Vesavius

j_smedley:

No rush though, they need to get this one right. Whatever they decide is the core philosophy of the game it has to be 100% on the delivery or SOE will be in big trouble I think.

The " no rush, let them get it right " statement is not true......Most all games pre-hyped and slow to produce are usually STILL bugged un done games.

Time does not really mean they will be done better, just announced too early !

j_smedley:

The " no rush, let them get it right " statement is not true......Most all games pre-hyped and slow to produce are usually STILL bugged un done games.

Time does not really mean they will be done better, just announced too early !

I don't care enough to argue whether it is 'true' or not tbh. I don't think it was announced too early at all though, considering how they are using Landmark to build it. I am loving watching the workshop videos and the like. Plenty of stuff to be doing until it gets here.

But, yeah, I think 2016.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I have my doubts tbh, Landmark is just plain bad and H1Z1 looks just as bad, then you have the massive flop that was Planetside 2..........

When it does come along it seems like it will be this big blank slate of a boring world. 

I just want EverQuest with better graphics.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Remember when EQN won best of show at E3 in June 2013?
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by tixylix

I have my doubts tbh, Landmark is just plain bad and H1Z1 looks just as bad, then you have the massive flop that was Planetside 2..........

When it does come along it seems like it will be this big blank slate of a boring world. 

I just want EverQuest with better graphics.

Landmark is far from being plain bad.. its quite enjoyable for what they have in the game at the moment. H1Z1 is looking really good I just hoped we would have access to test it by now.. How was Planetside 2 a flop? its a great game and lots of peopel are still playing it on a daily basis..

You will not be getting Everquest with better graphics..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    EQN has "Titan" written all over it
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

" When " is the only important question as far as I could see.  We have a lot of speculation to mechanics but very few facts.  Why even guess at this point......Why is EverQuest Next even on the list ?

- Is it Sony Online or mmorpg.com that is responsible for this hype ?......I'm kind of leaning towards mmorpg for even adding it. 

Because it's how game development works. Creating a game is like running any major operation (running a factory, captaining a ship, running an airline, etc. etc. etc.)

The more ambitious the project, the longer it takes to make. And thus you need to operate months, years into the future. And MMOs are easily the MOST ambitious games you can try to make. Furthermore, EQN is actually trying to do something very new / innovative. There are very few voxel-based games on the market. And almost none are MMOs. And none of are trying to do it to the degree as Sony.

That said, if you're going to be managing such an expensive and ambitious project, you need to make sure that there is interest there. Otherwise you're wasting 100s of thousands of man hours, and millions of dollars for no reason. And that's where things like 'hype' come into the equation.

Can it be annoying dealing with hype for something so far out? Absolutely. But the solution is a simple one. Don't follow the game, and wait until it's actually being released. If hype is something you're so sensitive to that you get this bothered by, then stay away.

The most important questions for this game are the 'what' and 'how' atm. They are still tweaking features and experimenting with what will and won't work. These questions will determine what the final game will actually become. if you can't maintain through that part of the development process, to get to the why, then you should avoid being involved entirely.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    EQN has "Titan" written all over it

Doubtful.

Blizzard and Sony are very different companies.

Blizzard has always been a company that looks at what is currently good on the market, and then looks to copy it and tweak the hell out of it. They have not once created a game that is truly original or unique. And indeed most of there games are pretty blatant copies of other established IPs. They get away with it because they are good at changing just enough as to make it their own, and can spend most of the process polishing instead of innovating.

Titan failed, because Blizzard has been monitoring the MMO market for years now. They made WoW at a time when EQ was getting big, and they thought 'we can do that, and make it better'. So they copied many of it's featured, put their own IP on it, made it more accessible, and advertised it to a bunch of people who never even heard of an MMO before. And thus you how WoW of today.

When you look at the MMO landscape currently. There really isn't a new 'EQ' anymore. The closest thing we have is indeed, WoW. So what does Blizzard do? They scrap Titan, as there really isn't any game they can emulate currently, they don't want to risk experimenting with a truly new IP or innovation, and they already have WoW. And thus, they just announce '10 more years of WoW' and call it done. And now we're seeing them focusing on other genres (CCGs, MOBAs).

- Sony, on the other hand, are actually fairly innovative overall. They've made / backed a lot of pretty unique games over the years. And they aren't afraid to experiment. They have their established IPs, but they also try and do new things (both in MMOs, and on other genres). They want to make that next big thing that other people try and emulate. And in their eyes, that's EQN.

It may not be the best game ever, once done. And knowing Sony, they'll probably find a way to screw it up (usually involving the cash shop). But it will probably be a good game at it's core when finished.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The connection was loose at best. The point is that I think SOE may have a growing concern that they may not be creating the game they are hoping for.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I am guessing Holiday 2015 late alpha/early beta .  Full game release sometime in 2016.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

ROFL, you guys are something else. How many times has Sony let you guys down? Widlstar was going to be that all great game, then came AA and you really think EQN is going to be that one great game.

SONY has let all you down before and they will do it again. My God when will you guys wake up. :-D

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Brenics

ROFL, you guys are something else. How many times has Sony let you guys down? Widlstar was going to be that all great game, then came AA and you really think EQN is going to be that one great game.

SONY has let all you down before and they will do it again. My God when will you guys wake up. :-D

SOE let us down ?

How ? Do you mean SWG? that was mainly LA that forced the changes so not really SOE letting us down.

No one game will please everyone that will never happen.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Well I think the regular stream of EQN news serves 2 purposes:

1). Spread the word about EQN at minimal cost;

The way you do marketing is either use lots of money or lots of time (both is rare). They're using a lot less money and a lot more time to build up the hype.

2). There are people who like being drip-fed information and the feeling of being part of development.

I don't mind EQN being "on the list". It is an MMO that will most likely launch in about 2 years...so it's all good.

Nah, I'm no hardcore fanboy of what has been presented of EQN as to it becoming my 'go to' main MMORPG, but I do think it will be fun enough.

I have fond memories of a few SOE games though and have spent a lot of time in them, I like AA very much, and I never thought WS would be all that, so I guess that means how you see things is extendable to everyone.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

If they completely revamped their combat system and allowed for more buttons on the toolbar it might be worth waiting until 2016.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

Nah, I'm no hardcore fanboy of what has been presented of EQN as to it becoming my 'go to' main MMORPG, but I do think it will be fun enough.

I have fond memories of a few SOE games though and have spent a lot of time in them, I like AA very much, and I never thought WS would be all that, so I guess that means how you see things is extendable to everyone.

I seen how Wildstar was going to be and knew it would fail, AA has a lot of great points but the botters and internet cafe's are what hurt the overall game. It wasn't made for us, it was made to force people to spend money even if you subbed. A lot like LOTRO, which I think is the worse F2P game to play because even if you sub you tend to still purchase things from store if you really want to advance. I believe these oversea and F2P games have ruined our MMO's but who am I and my opinion knows no more than the rest of you.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Did you see an ad on TV or something? Where are they advertising. Or you mean the article on the front page talking about the recent details on dwarves/ogres and what not? That is pretty standard game in development progress updates.

Since players can take part  in Landmark and through it help influence EQN's design (buildings at least), makes sense to talk about it, even if EQN itself is a ways off.

They've released quite a lot about the game and it isn't all speculation. SOE Live 2013/2014, many vids on youtube, twitch streams every week, etc.

Maybe the issue is you are checking in every 5 months or whatever and not actually following the game, yet seem surprised when you hear about it?