Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The All Time Ultimate Space Adventure MMO

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by sgel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3ZvnUnUkU#t=43

Absolutely the best space sim ever. 

LOL what the hell is that?

If that is representative of the main component of the game then how poor is the rest of it going to be?

Is it a simply a case of trying to do too many things at the same time?

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    If this game is more than 15 gigabytes, I'll never get it. Games are getting ridiculously large. Seeing what ArcheAge achieved with 8gb client I feel sorry for those 20gb+ MMOs... And if the patcher is as shitty as the streamed SWTOR patcher, updates will take half a century, so no thanks. 
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Regardless of how this game works out, it's going to be entertaining to watch.  I predict much crying, but then again, pretty much every game that has released in the last 5 years has been accompanied by much crying.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Leon1e
    If this game is more than 15 gigabytes, I'll never get it. Games are getting ridiculously large. Seeing what ArcheAge achieved with 8gb client I feel sorry for those 20gb+ MMOs... And if the patcher is as shitty as the streamed SWTOR patcher, updates will take half a century, so no thanks. 

it's over 15 GB already. The patcher is not "shitty."

but you could talk to your shitty Internet Provider?

Oh my provider is just fine, Downloaded 20gb Witcher 2 for 3-4 hours few nights ago to replay it on Steam. On the other hand, SWTOR chokes when there is update, you see, the first step is doing something that isnt even downloading and it takes forever. The second step is download which happens relatively fast, then its installation which takes forever as well. Most MMOs have crappy launchers like that. Oh well, its their money for bandwidth :P 

However I refuse to play MMOs with such large clients and nothing to show for. 

• TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46

Oh my provider is just fine, Downloaded 20gb Witcher 2 for 3-4 hours few nights ago to replay it on Steam. On the other hand, SWTOR chokes when there is update, you see, the first step is doing something that isnt even downloading and it takes forever. The second step is download which happens relatively fast, then its installation which takes forever as well. Most MMOs have crappy launchers like that. Oh well, its their money for bandwidth :P 

early... alpha......

• sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175

"nothing to show for it" ...lol!

Name any game that has released its development from such an early stage...

that's right, only Star Citizen.

Any MMO gamer should be used to heavy bandwidth usage. I'm surprised after all these years there are still MMO gamers mentioning this. Especially for a game in alpha/beta.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by sparkatb

You're saying that as if it's a good thing.

What they have now is horrible gameplay.

..Cake..

Well opinions and all that. what is so horrible about it exactly? oh... its not slow and boring like EDs (another opinion...)

Not enough repetitive docking and frame jumping action? 

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by TestSubject102

Well opinions and all that. what is so horrible about it exactly? oh... its not slow and boring like EDs (another opinion...)

No Man´s Sky and the like , I think the procedural fad will soon be over, exactly at the moment when people realize that computer generated randomness sucks, even more if the randomness is repeated a billion times.

but for now a nice number with lots of zeros looks great on the backside of a game box

Star Citizen is not that kind of game, thank god they won't mess around with computer generation until the 115  handmade core systems and walkable planets are fleshed out

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

don't worry, the procedural fad will soon be over, exactly at the moment when people realize that computer generated randomness sucks, even more if the randomness is repeated a billion times.

but for now a nice number with lots of zeros looks great on the backside of a game box

Star Citizen is not that kind of game, thank god they won't mess around with computer generation until the 115  handmade core systems and walkable planets are fleshed out

You do realise Star Citizen will be using procedural generation (like Elite and NMS) and that none use random generation?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1602-pax-star-citizen-procedural-generation-interview

don't worry, the procedural fad will soon be over, exactly at the moment when people realize that computer generated randomness sucks, even more if the randomness is repeated a billion times.

You do realize that procedural generation doesn't mean random right? You do realize that PG is the only way for SC to be able to provide open planetary exploration right? 

I'm sure you feel quite silly now.

Elite doesn't have a game box. 

It is actually.

..Cake..

You seem to think that tactical space flight combat is boring compared to maneuvering a turret in space. You're entitled to your opinion but I certainly don't agree with it and I've been playing both games. One a lot more than the other due to incomparable monopoly of fun ED has over SC right now.

How repetitive is manual docking compared to a 5min loading cinematic?

..Cake..

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

You do realise Star Citizen will be using procedural generation and that none use random generation?

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1602-pax-star-citizen-procedural-generation-interview

Sorry but procedural generation is simply running a load of useless scripts to throw together random generic stuff and very little handcrafted material.

It´s a cheap way of content creation, that´s why the smallish 1-5 man teams are using it, then they advertise some insane number of "systems" or "planets", so some easily impressed folks can argue who is playing the bigger space game.

Sorry I am not interested in generic randomly created throwaway PG content.

I sincerely hope CIG isn´t running out of money in the future so they´ll have to hit "ENTER" on some PG script to generate an endlessly dull, repetitive universe with a gazillion repetitive planets.

You do realise Star Citizen will be using procedural generation and that none use random generation?

Sorry but procedural generation is simply running a load of useless scripts to throw together random generic stuff and very little handcrafted material.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

It´s a cheap way of content creation, that´s why the smallish 1-5 man teams are using it, then they advertise some insane number of "systems" or "planets", so some easily impressed folks can argue who is playing the bigger space game.

Well they've managed to put all the known star systems into a playable computer game. Feel free to do that by "handcrafting".

It's not random. Please educate yourself. Also SC will be using it for planetary exploration... It's practically impossible to handcraft entire planets.

I sincerely hope CIG isn´t running out of money in the future so they´ll have to hit "ENTER" on some PG script to generate an endlessly dull, repetitive universe with a gazillion repetitive planets.

"PG script"  rofl...

..Cake..

Well they've managed to put all the known star systems into a playable computer game. Feel free to do that by "handcrafting".

It's not random. Please educate yourself. Also SC will be using it for planetary exploration... It's practically impossible to handcraft entire planets.

"PG script"  rofl...

yeah "ROFL" yourself, I know how PG stuff works. It´s a script and they can generate any ridiculous number of randomly generated cubes by pushing a button, a.k.a. running a script.

A million? a Billion?  a Gazillion? Hey just see how many zeros you can type in!

It´s the type of script the one man show who programmed Limit Theory does too.

and voila you can advertise a number with lots of zeros and all the cool kids go "oooohhhh" and "ahhhhh"

Enjoy endless numbers of random areas created by the magic of C++ scripts, I personally hope CIG won´t sink that low to cheat up their system number in the future.

"PG script"  rofl...

yeah "ROFL" yourself, I know how PG stuff works. It´s a script and they can generate any ridiculous number of randomly generated cubes by pushing a button, a.k.a. running a script.

PG doesn't mean random.

Also, the process of generating 400 billion accurate star systems isn't simply performed by "running a script" :D

..Cake..

"PG script"  rofl...

PG doesn't mean random.

Also, the process of generating 400 billion accurate star systems isn't simply performed by "running a script" :D

procedural generation means exactly that, a script assembling artist created elements randomly and spreading out the script output over number XY, e.g. some number with lots of funny zeros.

but really, just XYZ billions..?? not enough for me, I ´ll wait for the next big thing with 20% more billions, that will presumably be at least a 20% better game! ROFL

[mod edit]

"PG script"  rofl...

PG doesn't mean random.

procedural generation means exactly that, a script assembling artist created elements randomly and spreading out the script output over number XY, e.g. some number with lots of funny zeros.

So they randomly generated an accurate in-game replica of known space using a script?

*facepalm*

..Cake..

"PG script"  rofl...

PG doesn't mean random.

So they randomly generated an accurate in-game replica of known space using a script?

*facepalm*

No, hes saying the art assets ect are procedurually place.... copy pasted/slight variants.

What does it even matter if they all do as little as eachother? why even go out into deep space and never encounter another player? or have any good back stories other than maybe a stupid piece of text attached to a planet?

Does ED even have a story? or different races? or anything that would resemble the need to go ANYWHERE outside of the core systems?

Seriously... my entire time is spent doing generic missions, frame jumping rubber band simulator and docking on nearly identical stations over and over again.

Which... by the way... all of the reviews/youtubers saying "Landing is complex and risky! a really reaslistic space sim!" are so full of crap... I havn't crashed once... its easy.... compared to other flight sims even.

Over-hyped game just because its out first and there hasn't been any other space sims in years. people so desperate for one that the standards are so low.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    All sounds good, question remains can they deliver?

Faith and hype aren't much to count on in this genre.

uhm, yes they can.

they have the manpower, the funds and the vision.

Well their vision was not that big when they started this design because they were aiming for a low budget game.SO unless people believe these guys are constantly changing their vision,meaning no real solid game design,just winging it,then they are still on that same low budget design course.

A solid game NEEDS to be designed before actually building for many reasons,you can't just keep changing the entire design and vision every time you sell a few hundred more ships,otherwise the game would never be completed.

Now of recent video,yes i see potential but until that is fulfilled it is still just a ton of money been thrown at a non realized project.

Guess what i am playing a game i enjoy in Alpha for FREE,the game has tons of improvement needed and bugs but it is a game that i can actually play and the developer has about 0.5% the budget Star Citizen has.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

"PG script"  rofl...

PG doesn't mean random.

*facepalm*

No, hes saying the art assets ect are procedurually place.... copy pasted/slight variants.

What does it even matter if they all do as little as eachother? why even go out into deep space and never encounter another player? or have any good back stories other than maybe a stupid piece of text attached to a planet?

Does ED even have a story? or different races? or anything that would resemble the need to go ANYWHERE outside of the core systems?

Seriously... my entire time is spent doing generic missions, frame jumping rubber band simulator and docking on nearly identical stations over and over again.

Which... by the way... all of the reviews/youtubers saying "Landing is complex and risky! a really reaslistic space sim!" are so full of crap... I havn't crashed once... its easy.... compared to other flight sims even.

Over-hyped game just because its out first and there hasn't been any other space sims in years. people so desperate for one that the standards are so low.

I get it. You don't like it... but please stop lying.

ED has the best core gameplay of any space sim I've played.

I have yet to see a negative review from someone in the press playing the game.

Sure there are issues like with every game ever, but the core gameplay is awesome and the development team behind it know exactly what they're doing.

It seems, again, you have trouble playing a sandbox game. If you want a game that's on rails then please go ahead and play something else. 

..Cake..

"PG script"  rofl...

PG doesn't mean random.

no one cares.

Let the PS4 users have No Mans Sky, and random generated maps, don´t have a problem with people enjoying randomness and insane numbers which tell absolutely nothing about "fun gameplay".

However, this thread is about Star Citizen and you should stop derailing it with irrelevant factoids and product plugging.

If you believe in some PG voodoo magic technology that makes actual content creation obsolete, fine.

I find this overhyping of a C++ generator that simply creates endless numbers of random areas quite amusing.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I get it. You don't like it... but please stop lying.

ED has the best core gameplay of any space sim I've played.

I have yet to see a negative review from someone in the press playing the game.

Sure there are issues like with every game ever, but the core gameplay is awesome and the development team behind it know exactly what they're doing.

It seems, again, you have trouble playing a sandbox game. If you want a game that's on rails then please go ahead and play something else. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-and-crowdfunding-an-interview-with-ch/1100-6421207/

According with Chris Roberts:

"I think that's why so many people are excited for and have backed Star Citizen, because it is the ambition of the vision, right? You know, Elite Dangerous looks great, right, and they're out there, but they're not even close to the level that we are, partly because we've put this vision out there..."

How dare you to contradict this true legendary persona?

:D

What I like about E:D is that they don't need to announce "Aliens" or show some art to make more money. When questioned about Aliens, they answer:

"Aliens? Who knows what you could find in 4 billion systems".

As a lot of things that they don't tell to people (Because that is exactly the best thing to do for a space game).

After all, that's what a universe exploration, SPACE is about, right? To go to some place and not knowing EARLIER (Because it needs to be sold to get money), what you could find. Finding something, detecting something and saying "What is that?"... not "Oh look, if not a hole in space to jump, its a derelict ship", because if other things existed, they would have told us, they would have added a sales campaign associated to that stuff, etc. etc.

:D

In SC people know that will find in their claustrophobic space, "hidden spots to jump", "derelict ships" and those "aliens", been or not handcrafted.

In E:D you will end finding things not earlier announced. You have no idea when or in what moment they will add the "surprise"... and that's what will keep players playing... not just "oh, I want to be the economic overlord of the day"...

And No Man's Sky has the exact same premise... So, that's the reason that these games are more interesting for press, etc, and gamers... because its not just some with better graphics "CoD on space", "Battlefield on Space", "Need for Speed on Space", "EvE 2. with cockpits"... its a totally different and new experience in the industry.

That's what it is in my opinion, something that will make E:D always ahead of SC (despite the expansions that will put the SC team on more shame as usually the Frontier team, liking them or not, have been doing all the time, in all terms, since all the time, they seem to take the best directions and CR, as he made his stuff later, he has to adopt a different path and end sucking in such path).

In the side of CIG will be always, graphics, graphics, graphics, vision, vision, vision, money, money, money, orgs, orgs, orgs, trying to compete with EvE and becoming EvE 2.0 sooner than later, because or they do that, or they end with no players in the medium/long term. And due the high-end machine requirement are not going to be ahead, not even from EvE, which is pretty sad when you see all their talking of BDSSE, ultimate of the games.

Originally posted by jcrg99
    thread derailing spam

you can plug and spam for this random generated low budget title in Star Citizen threads all day long, no one cares, no one will buy it, it will receive miserable reviews, and why? It´s boring repetitive nonsense in a boring generic random created, dead, zero multiplayer, zero compelling gameplay world, empty promises, this will receive an average of 3/10 at most next month, wait and see.

Originally posted by jcrg99
    [jcrg99 SC hate train and spam removed]

You keep plugging that SC knock off title in Star Citizen threads, fine. By the way according to your SC hate train they are even worse missing their Kickstarter delivery date in March, just saying.  They missed their alpha date, they missed their standard alpha date, they missed their premium beta date, they missed their beta date, they missed their binding release date over 9 months ago which is binding according to Kickstarter terms,  they missed EVERY date they ever put out because they are dilletants and amateurs only good at shill marketing and artificial hype for nothing. Someone should start a class action lawsuit against your low budget procedural scam title.

So hey your double standards are just showing, Frontier has probably hired a bunch of cronies who are hired to do constant thread derailing, spamming and advertising in SC threads and mods here around don´t care either?

this site can´t even execute their own rules and ban spammers like you, I´ll go to WOW threads and advertise dunno.. Hello Kitty Online in every single post, maybe? Let´s see how acceptable that is.