Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The state of Wildstar make me sad.

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I had been following WS since its announcement over 3 or 4 years ago now. I remember how excited I was for this game, I thought how awesome this game could be, from the art style, and the sci fi settings.

I even had the first WS podcast I did with two others and was invited to the only fan fest they had, but as the game got closer and closer I knew this game wouldn't be success, it was just too much of the same, but even more hardcore than previous theme park mmo's.

If only they went more sand box then themepark, I believe they could have had a real big hit on their hands, but nope and look what's been happening.

Anyways, it's sad to see WS end up like this.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The story is not over yet, give them some time and they might turn it around....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

I had been following WS since its announcement over 3 or 4 years ago now. I remember how excited I was for this game, I thought how awesome this game could be, from the art style, and the sci fi settings.

I even had the first WS podcast I did with two others and was invited to the only fan fest they had, but as the game got closer and closer I knew this game wouldn't be success, it was just too much of the same, but even more hardcore than previous theme park mmo's.

If only they went more sand box then themepark, I believe they could have had a real big hit on their hands, but nope and look what's been happening.

I agree with some of your points.  Disagree with one or two points.  

I honestly believe some of the issues Wildstar has are more then just same old gameplay (raids, dungeons, leveling etc).  I honestly don't believe being a sandbox would of somehow made this game the new wow.  Themeparks are much more successful then sandbox mmos.  I think they focused only on the hardcore instead of just balancing between hardcore and casual.  I also believe they missed the mark on the combat system.  They should of went with either a Tera action combat system or at the very least GW2 semi-action/tab target combat.

The beginning leveling is also very painful.  I was in Wildstar closed beta for about 9 months.  I tried several characters.  Once through is enough for most.  That really sucks for me personally.  Because I love playing alts in MMOs.

The thing I think most people forget with mmos and some games like Diablo 2 and 3.  Sometimes they start off rough and then over time get fixed and sometimes remade.  So, there is always hope for Wildstar.  I do agree with you that the game is in a sad state atm though.

Last thing.  The first time I saw an announcement about Wildstar was about 8 or 9 years ago in a PC Gamer.  So, I think you  just discovered Wildstar 3-4 years ago.  Just fyi.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    The story is not over yet, give them some time and they might turn it around....

This. I've canceled my subscription for now but I'm going to be watching Carbine very closely.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Going sandbox might of helped them but I'm not convinced it would of helped seeing as the game is too similar to WoW.  Themepark's aren't bad, but WoW clones are.  What we need is a non-quest hub, non-linear, non-endgame centric MMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

There are other theme parks out there doing way better than Wildstar (FFXIV, Rift, Tera, for example)

People say "Wildstar failed because it was Hardcore", but even most Hardcore guilds had problems with it.  Really, Wildstar had TONS of other issues besides just being a theme park and just being hard core (horrible itemization, broken PvP, simplistic classes, a combat system where you spend more time looking at the ground than your character, no good loot from anything but raiding after you've gotten crafted gear, buggy raids, nothing to really do in between raids even if you were raiding, horrible optimization, long attunement process, levelling journey was the same for all characters so no fun in making alts, art and humour style that was niche at best, the list goes on and on and on....) which is one of the reasons it's gonna be hard for Carbine to turn it around.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Lazzaro I had been following WS since its announcement over 3 or 4 years ago now. I remember how excited I was for this game, I thought how awesome this game could be, from the art style, and the sci fi settings. I even had the first WS podcast I did with two others and was invited to the only fan fest they had, but as the game got closer and closer I knew this game wouldn't be success, it was just too much of the same, but even more hardcore than previous theme park mmo's. If only they went more sand box then themepark, I believe they could have had a real big hit on their hands, but nope and look what's been happening. Anyways, it's sad to see WS end up like this.
    Going sandbox might of helped them but I'm not convinced it would of helped seeing as the game is too similar to WoW.  Themepark's aren't bad, but WoW clones are.  What we need is a non-quest hub, non-linear, non-endgame centric MMO.

That's my point, it was a themepark and pretty much a WoW in space.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

There are other theme parks out there doing way better than Wildstar (FFXIV, Rift, Tera, for example)

People say "Wildstar failed because it was Hardcore", but even most Hardcore guilds had problems with it.  Really, Wildstar had TONS of other issues besides just being a theme park and just being hard core (horrible itemization, broken PvP, simplistic classes, a combat system where you spend more time looking at the ground than your character, no good loot from anything but raiding after you've gotten crafted gear, buggy raids, nothing to really do in between raids even if you were raiding, horrible optimization, long attunement process, levelling journey was the same for all characters so no fun in making alts, art and humour style that was niche at best, the list goes on and on and on....) which is one of the reasons it's gonna be hard for Carbine to turn it around.

I think this sums it up nicely.  

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Wait... no where in your post do you say or even IMPLY you actually PLAYED WILDSTAR

Stop being a troll. Next.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    WS has my all-time favorite npc - the taxi driver bot. Sometimes I just took a taxi only to listen to his rant. So I hope that WS gets over it's current problems, it does have quite a number of them though.
  • manowar88manowar88 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Iam playing wildstar and have The a Great time, think The levling in wildstar is beter Then most mmorpgs out there. I cant understand whay so meny think Its so hadcore. The problem whit todays playes is that The whant evreting on a silver plate. Work for it and you whill get it but mebby not in a weak.

x1muft.png

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Siug
    WS has my all-time favorite npc - the taxi driver bot. Sometimes I just took a taxi only to listen to his rant. So I hope that WS gets over it's current problems, it does have quite a number of them though.

You liked the taxi driver ? I downloaded an addon just to shut him up. 

As i stated numerous times i do believe that NCSoft, NOT Carbine, will somehow turn things around and save WildStar. They invested to much money in this project to just let it wither away. They have both the know-how and the funds to make this happen.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Quick...name one sandbox other than Eve that's been successful.  You can't, because there hasn't been.  

The thought that going sandbox is the answer to every game's woes is fallacy. Having some of those elements certainly helps, but overall, themeparks have been more successful than sandboxes across the board.  

The main issue with Wildstar was the elimination of the casual player from the endgame.  The issue with many themeparks is the design encourages a race through leveling content and an over-emphasis on endgame activities.  Wildstar accelerated that formula even more, which isn't good if you want to draw in a casual player.  The game simply demands too much of a time commitment if you want to keep up with everyone.  The casual player simply feels overwhelmed trying to keep up, so they quit.  

I thought Wildstar was one of the most unique, refreshing and better-made themeparks to come across in years.  But the game was simply too busy and too overwhelming to stick with for me personally.  I simply didn't have the time commitment to take it all in like I wanted.  

If Carbine continues to support the game and improves on the issues it has, I will probably try  returning to it at some point down the road.  Because it really is a great game.  It simply demands too much of its player base, which Carbine unfortunately overestimated to begin with.  When you base your endgame on 40 man raids, and then don't have the playerbase to run those raids, well...that's not good.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Hard to believe this game is going through this much trouble.

Even though I dislike watching telegraphs on the floor all the time, I love the combat and the PVP of this game, movement is of an essence to survive. It has the best combat gameplay of any MMO I've played, better than GW2 in my opinion. That alone is very hard to achieve and gives Wildstar a huge advantage over other games.

Now that they closed the gap between the PVP gear sets, it's really a lot about skill whether you win or lose.

The game had issues but games like SWTOR and ESO launched in much worse state and don't have the population problems that Wildstar does. I love PVPing in this game but I can't get a queue to pop, even after the megaservers. 11pm I don't see anyone in the high level daily areas.

I think most of the people just don't like the IP, the lore. Feels too goofy to be taken seriously. Then the first 20 levels are horribly boring to level in. Afterwards come the contested zones and questing while pvping is always fun but not if the server is dead.

Then there's the optimization issues, I have no issues with a nvidia gtx 680 but many people claim to still have them , specially AMD people.

Then there's the dev's jumping ship, that alone says a lot about the future of Wildstar. It's a great game but its future doesn't look bright.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

It saddens me too. I loved this game. I enjoyed the humour and loved the whole vibrant colors and adored the art style unfortunately even though I thought I could manage the combat I found I could not do it. It was hurting me to use mouse turn while frantically hitting the skills and moving out of the telegraphs. It  got so bad it started to make my elbow ,wrist and shoulder ache if I played a few hours. I gave up the game. I will not come back unless they change the combat.

Being a themepark is not its failure. It's the combat style.

Chamber of Chains
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I think Wildstar will be a very different and better game a year from now if it doesn't go f2p.

For the sake of the English language:

could have

should have

would have

Not:

could of

should of

would of

the combat is the problem? You prefer the tab target, no-escape-soak-it-all-in kind of combat? WoW's combat was fun for a while but quickly PVPers notice its lack of freedom and diversity. 

Wildstar's combat give players the ability to show off their skill. Timing, aiming, movement, all come in to play in addition to your spells and gear. How on earth does that make the combat its main problem?

I hate watching the telegraphs on the floor, I just customize them to be barely visible and that's it, best combat I've ever seen in a MMO.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by cheyane

It saddens me too. I loved this game. I enjoyed the humour and loved the whole vibrant colors and adored the art style unfortunately even though I thought I could manage the combat I found I could not do it. It was hurting me to use mouse turn while frantically hitting the skills and moving out of the telegraphs. It  got so bad it started to make my elbow ,wrist and shoulder ache if I played a few hours. I gave up the game. I will not come back unless they change the combat.

Being a themepark is not its failure. It's the combat style.

Any combat that encourages mouse-turning instead of keyboard turning is good combat.  It forces people out of bad habits.  

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I use mouseturn and strafe all the time not keyboard but not while I am moving frantically. The combat is awful. It forces you to move your hand awkwardly which is what made me get pains. I play FFXIV and WoW and I use mouseturn to fight in BGs but never had any issues with any pains in my joints. This game is the problem.

GW 2 and TERA I played with no issues at all. No I firmly believe that what cause my shoulders to ache so badly that I needed a hot water bottle is Wildstar combat. It some how does not flow or its not well done. The other games never caused me any problems at all. I have no idea how to make you understand I do not use the keyboard to turn have not done so in ages I use mouseturn but in Wildstar it just makes my joints ache when I never had this issue with TERA or GW 2.

I even used an elbow brace but it got so bad I had to give up. I think I may have been holding myself awkwardly and the problem could be completely my own fault but I never had this problem in TERA or even DCUO. Those games I played with no pains. I think its the telegraphs and the combination of using a programmable mouse like the Logitech G600 with the skills on the thumb of the mouse by the side. I did however do the same for TERA and never had a single ache. Sorry but I am inclined to believe its the game that caused the problems.

Also I must admit the combat was fun initially until it got more frantic as I went up higher and healing in groups I completely failed at it. It was bad so I decided with all the aches and my inability to heal which I love doing why was I torturing myself like this so I left the game. I was reluctant because I enjoyed the lore and adored the art style. It made me so sad to go but I had to leave. 

Chamber of Chains
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

If only they went more sand box then themepark, I believe they could have had a real big hit on their hands, 

Honestly don't see sandbox doing anything... nor is it needed. Final fantasy 14 ARR, a game that launched terrible and went through a redo is a pure and simple themepark game with many old school elements mixed in, yet it did and still is doing amazingly well. People still enjoy themepark and sandbox has yet to really prove itself in the MMo market as being a strong alternative that can keep a large population of people.

Themeparks are enjoyed because if done right they can be great fun for players and are far less likely to alienate players like a sandbox will. In no way do I think it remotely would of had any effective if it had been sandbox. What people most want isn't a 'sandbox' as much as they simply want choice on what they do having a variety of things to pick from on their way. Sandbox happens to be tagged on without people realizing its not really what most people want from a game.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

First of all you were watching podcast for 3 to 4 years, NOT GAME PLAY......This is marketing only ( remember Warhammer, that game Looked fun too ).

Next, the game is totally obnoxious, DOUBLE KILL !!!!!

Then the quest are short run here, then run there short quest that has to be done solo.....This is an mmo right ?

Last the targeting system is bad.  It's like trying to shine a flashlight on the ground but only in a video game.

• Originally posted by Kinado

Even though I dislike watching telegraphs on the floor all the time, I love the combat and the PVP of this game, movement is of an essence to survive. It has the best combat gameplay of any MMO I've played, better than GW2 in my opinion. That alone is very hard to achieve and gives Wildstar a huge advantage over other games.

Now that they closed the gap between the PVP gear sets, it's really a lot about skill whether you win or lose.

The game had issues but games like SWTOR and ESO launched in much worse state and don't have the population problems that Wildstar does. I love PVPing in this game but I can't get a queue to pop, even after the megaservers. 11pm I don't see anyone in the high level daily areas.

I think most of the people just don't like the IP, the lore. Feels too goofy to be taken seriously. Then the first 20 levels are horribly boring to level in. Afterwards come the contested zones and questing while pvping is always fun but not if the server is dead.

Then there's the optimization issues, I have no issues with a nvidia gtx 680 but many people claim to still have them , specially AMD people.

Then there's the dev's jumping ship, that alone says a lot about the future of Wildstar. It's a great game but its future doesn't look bright.

Swtor had really good Scenario PvP at the start..Huttball alone was worth it for that game..It also had very good PvE leveling up. Factor in its a major IP and went with a f2p system its going to do vastly better then a subpar WoW clone.

ESO had the advantage of being different. Its not a WoW clone... Its also got vastly superior PvP to this game.. They're also putting out good content a consistent rate...and they don't have to worry about the WoW expansion next month absolutely gutting their population (I'm sure there will be players that leave ESO for it, but not anywhere near the hurt Wildstar is about to take from it)

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

Wait... no where in your post do you say or even IMPLY you actually PLAYED WILDSTAR

Stop being a troll. Next.

I think, as a reader, it's pretty safe to assume. That's probably why OP didn't mentioned he played WS. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means.

Originally posted by Xsorus
    Originally posted by Kinado

Swtor had really good Scenario PvP at the start..Huttball alone was worth it for that game..It also had very good PvE leveling up. Factor in its a major IP and went with a f2p system its going to do vastly better then a subpar WoW clone.

ESO had the advantage of being different. Its not a WoW clone... Its also got vastly superior PvP to this game.. They're also putting out good content a consistent rate...and they don't have to worry about the WoW expansion next month absolutely gutting their population (I'm sure there will be players that leave ESO for it, but not anywhere near the hurt Wildstar is about to take from it)

It's true that Wildstar's population is more of the kind that plays WoW over SWTOR or ESO but in no way did these last 2 games launch with a good PVP scenario at the beginning. I know, I was there. SWTOR had huge optimization issues and ability delays and ESO was just a mess once you got passed the "woah" moment of having hundreds of people on screen. I'm really hoping they improve ESO's PVP in the future, the game still looks promising but has a long way to go.

What really screwed Wildstar's PVP was the gap between PVP gear sets being too big stat-wise and the fact that people got to manipulate their arena ratings in order to get epic pvp gear. 

What's really hurting the game is that people just stopped playing it. I leveled my character entirely through PVP at the start and now I'm lucky when I get one queue to do one random practice BG.

They need a shitload of marketing with their next content drop to see if people come back and stick around. The game is solid but feels pretty much dead at the moment.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Originally posted by azzamasin

Originally posted by Lazzaro I had been following WS since its announcement over 3 or 4 years ago now. I remember how excited I was for this game, I thought how awesome this game could be, from the art style, and the sci fi settings. I even had the first WS podcast I did with two others and was invited to the only fan fest they had, but as the game got closer and closer I knew this game wouldn't be success, it was just too much of the same, but even more hardcore than previous theme park mmo's. If only they went more sand box then themepark, I believe they could have had a real big hit on their hands, but nope and look what's been happening. Anyways, it's sad to see WS end up like this.

That's my point, it was a themepark and pretty much a WoW in space.

Meeeeh, you're basically suggesting that there is no room for more than one stylized MMORPG, because that's really what you're saying a WoW Clone is, a stylized MMORPG. 

The reality is that there is room for games like Wildstar in the genre, and it could probably do quite well. The question is whether or not someone is willing to actually pay for it on a monthly basis. The answer seems to be no. I played through on beta and thought it was fun and I think that the telegraphs actually add to the ability for them to create more difficult encounters, as I said from the beginning. However, I will only pay for one subscription at a time. I played ESO when it came out. I've since moved on from that and I'm re-subbed to WoW right now. So if Wildstar was F2P or a hybrid game (option subscription) then I'd probably play it, because then I can put in an hour or two a week and leave it at that. Feel like I'm still getting value. Then when I unsub from WoW when they go into a content rut, maybe I give Wildstar a few months of sub. 

Unfortunately subscription immediately implies commitment, you're basically marrying the game (or at least that's how sub games feel at times), whereas if it's free, you feel less obligated to continue. Shoot, make it B2P with an optional sub. Bump up those box sales for the holiday season. Even that would be smart. I just shake my head in disbelief about this game. Seems like they are in denial or something. IDK. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by luisrkiller
    Originally posted by JackFrosty Originally posted by Lazzaro I had been following WS since its announcement over 3 or 4 years ago now. I remember how excited I was for this game, I thought how awesome this game could be, from the art style, and the sci fi settings. I even had the first WS podcast I did with two others and was invited to the only fan fest they had, but as the game got closer and closer I knew this game wouldn't be success, it was just too much of the same, but even more hardcore than previous theme park mmo's. If only they went more sand box then themepark, I believe they could have had a real big hit on their hands, but nope and look what's been happening. Anyways, it's sad to see WS end up like this.
    Wait... no where in your post do you say or even IMPLY you actually PLAYED WILDSTAR   Stop being a troll. Next.
    I think, as a reader, it's pretty safe to assume. That's probably why OP didn't mentioned he played WS. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means.

No, it's not. I was invited into WS beta back in May of 2013 and played until May of 2014. So I'm not trolling.

So if you meant the retail product then no, I didn't buy it because I already knew what was in store because of playing it in beta.