Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gfx card recoomendations

JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100

As title says i need a new gpu. Im getting 23 fps on fair setting in world of warcraft which is a problem lol.

specs are:

cpu - AMD 4130FX Quad Core 3.8ghz

mb - Gigabyte GA-78LMT USB3

psupply- 500 watt

ram - 12 gigs

looking for a new card within the 100-200 price range that should give me a substational fps increase.

Comments

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78
    What kind of video card do you have now? WoW is rather CPU intensive so depending on what you have now you might not get a big bump vs if you had an unclockable Intel or whatever AMD has that comes the closest.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

1)  What power supply do you have?  The nominal wattage is a marketing number, not an engineering one.  A high quality 500 W power supply will be able to handle plenty of video cards.  A low quality one should be replaced before you consider adding a better video card.  I need the exact brand name and model, not just the nominal wattage.  If you have to open up the case and read the label to find out, then do it.

2)  What video card do you have now?  If you're using the integrated graphics that comes with that motherboard (which is a seriously strange option for that CPU), then just about anything would be huge upgrade.  But if you've already got a very nice card, it's not automatic that a new card would even be an upgrade.

3)  When and were where did you get that computer, anyway?  Between a CPU that never really made sense for anyone, a motherboard that was obsolete before it launched, and memory that forces you to mismatch the channels, you've got a bizarre system configuration--of the sort that makes me wonder what else is wrong with it.

4)  What case do you have?  A brand name and model would be nice, but failing that, how many case fans do you have, where are they positioned, and how big are they?

5)  Ignore any recommendations from someone who jumps in and lists a video card without knowing what else you've got in your system.  That's someone jumping in and mentioning his favorite card without the slightest clue as to whether it's appropriate to your needs.

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    You should also upgrade your CPU, WoW tends to be very strong on the CPU, especially in crowded cities or raids. But you will for sure also benefit from a GPU upgrade as well.
  • JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100

Sorry i cant believe i left my card of my spec sorry i currently have nvidia geforce 610 gt.

also not sure about the power supply, though not concerned as well cause i have 700 wattt corsair i can change it out with.

You didn't answer most of the questions.  There's no sense in picking a video card for you, getting you to buy it, and then finding out that it doesn't physically fit inside your case, for example.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    GTX 970 hands down best bang for  your buck
    I bought it from ibuypower around 2 years ago has I believe the case is a phenom 2? Not sure at the moment other than the CPU fan it has 2 others I couldnt fit my older ati 5850 HD in because of case size if that helps reference the space I have available
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Jenosyde
    I bought it from ibuypower around 2 years ago has I believe the case is a phenom 2? Not sure at the moment other than the CPU fan it has 2 others I couldnt fit my older ati 5850 HD in because of case size if that helps reference the space I have available

First off I think your better off with no video card than with a 610 - that's like one step down from a pack of bubble gum

If you couldn't fit a 5850 - a 10.75" card, your going to be somewhat limited. Although it's hard to be more limited than you are with a 610. A 5850 was hardly a "huge" card.

This computer, I think, just needs to have an accident. It's got questionable selections all the way around, and your better off just Craigslisting it as a working computer to someone who really needs something that can barely browse Facebook on low settings, and then using that cash to star off again with something on the right foot, than you are throwing money at it trying to make it limp along on Warcraft.

Apart from that, your second best option is just to take it into Best Buy, and tell the Geek Squad that money is no object - you need the best video. They will treat you right.

/S

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    GTX 770 is a very good card. Just got mine in about 2 months ago and handles every game I have on high settings with 30 FPS+
    Its funny that you mentioned it cause i do currently have it on craigslist lol. But if i could save a few bucks by just buying a card to bump me around 60sh fps on wow figured id go the cheaper route
  • joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

The video card is pretty much rubbish as someone already mentioned. If you are limited to a certain amount of space that most likely is going to be the limiting factor in what you can get as if it can only be so long you will be restricted to some low-mid grade video cards. Hard to recommend anything without knowing exactly the limitation and you will have to dig around cards to find whatever will fit

You might be able to replace the case though with something that will work and after that as mentioned you might check on your power supply and see if it is something halfway decent or not. 500 watts is more than enough for a sub $200 video card if the power supply is effecient. Any kind of 80+ certified power supply should be enough, you can purchase one around $40-$60 that would take a sub $200 video card just fine. A new case can run $30-$100+ depending on how much you care about the case, just make sure it can take a full size video card.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

as others have mentioned you might want to swap out the case as well.. by the sounds of it most decent cards wont fit.

Maybe a geforce 760 would.. I guess that would help you out a bit and they are quite cheap these days.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Most likely you can fit this card in your case, as it is designed for an iTX build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127794&cm_re=270x_itx-_-14-127-794-_-Product

It is a small gpu and should run WoW like a champ. Costs less than $200 and may help salvage the PC until you can get a better one.

Hopefully you have learned why so many posters here are against places like iBuypower. I will bet a paycheck they marketed that as a "gaming" PC.

Originally posted by jdnewell
    Most likely you can fit this card in your case, as it is designed for an iTX build.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127794&cm_re=270x_itx-_-14-127-794-_-ProductIt is a small gpu and should run WoW like a champ. Costs less than $200 and may help salvage the PC until you can get a better one.Hopefully you have learned why so many posters here are against places like iBuypower. I will bet a paycheck they marketed that as a "gaming" PC.

That is a small card, nice find.

Thanks for the card jdnewell looks like it will fit going to do some more research on it. And yeah the pc was just a quick cheap fix cause my other was hit by lightning :(

Phenom II is a processor, not a case.

iBuyPower will sell you cheap junk cheaply, or let you pay more to get something nice.  The former gets them a bad reputation in some quarters, as some of the computers they sell (such as yours!) genuinely are awful.  But in their defense, at least they don't charge a premium price for cheap junk parts, which is more than can be said for some other companies.  So you paid $600 or whatever for your current computer and got what you paid for, which sure beats paying $1000 for a piece of junk.

Sticking a high powered video card in that computer might well constitute a fire hazard.  If you're picking the cheapest parts available, the power supply they gave you is a threat to fry everything.  You say you have another power supply that is better; why isn't it already in the computer?

How do you feel about saving up $700 or so to get a proper gaming rig?  Or perhaps $500 if your Radeon HD 5850 still works and you're willing to use that for a while.

Just to give you some idea of what you've got:

A GeForce GTX 780 Ti has 2880 shaders.  A Radeon R9 290X has 2816 shaders.  Your old Radeon HD 5850 has 1440 shaders.  AMD's best integrated graphics has 512 shaders.  The chip that Nvidia is pushing for tablets has 192 shaders.  The chip that AMD is pushing for tablets and ultra-low power laptops has 128 shaders.  Your GeForce GT 610 has 48 shaders.  It will beat those tablet chips, partially due to much higher clock speeds, but it's going to be much closer in performance to tablet chips than to AMD's best available integrated graphics--and that's still far behind your old Radeon HD 5850.

Do you know if your old parts still work?  If a computer got fried by lighting, I'd expect most parts in it to be dead.  Your Corsair power supply and Radeon HD 5850 that you can't use in your current computer might well have been fried when the rest of the computer went in a lighting strike.  Indeed, unless the surge came in through some other source such as an ethernet cable, the power supply kind of has to fail in some way in order for the surge to get to anything else.

Its funny that you mentioned it cause i do currently have it on craigslist lol. But if i could save a few bucks by just buying a card to bump me around 60sh fps on wow figured id go the cheaper route

You're probably familiar with the notion of throwing good money after bad.  I'd be hesitant to spend more on your current rig rather than replacing the whole thing outright.  You'd end up replacing nearly everything anyway if you wanted to make a respectable computer out of it.  If money is really tight right now so that you can't replace the computer, I could understand picking up a cheap card to at least make the rig functional for gaming:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131577

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500341

Also, why doesn't your Radeon HD 5850 fit?  Is it too long, or is it too tall?  For the latter, you'd need a half-height card like the second one I linked above.

To tall and you could just leave the side of the case off and still use it.
    To long and your just SOL.

So while I don't want to make any assumptions, I would bet too long.

• ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62

i'd recommend a msi 760 oc edition, i have it, works lovely, runs wow on ultra x8 AA on 70~fps +

if not...check out gtx 980 mITX version !