Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

12345679»

Comments

  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

    Ohhh, the hate is strong here.... Lol.

     

    I must admit I have been thinking of trying this out. But I would never buy it at full price. It doesn't seem complete enough to be full price....

  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,828
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

    Ohhh, the hate is strong here.... Lol.

     

    I must admit I have been thinking of trying this out. But I would never buy it at full price. It doesn't seem complete enough to be full price....

    Well, it's discounted on Steam now.  I say why not go for it.  :-)

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • Neobloodline3dNeobloodline3d Member CommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

    Ohhh, the hate is strong here.... Lol.

     

    I must admit I have been thinking of trying this out. But I would never buy it at full price. It doesn't seem complete enough to be full price....

    Well, it's discounted on Steam now.  I say why not go for it.  :-)

    Because rewarding developers for crap games which are already making a lot more money than they deserve is dumb.  If the graphics are great but the game is bad the graphics artists will go get a new job at a developer that isn't making crap games.  It's survival of the fittest.  Don't give people money who don't use it wisely. 

  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,324
    Originally posted by vorpal28

    Personally paying the one off fee to play Asheron's Call will net you more fun than ESO ever will.

    Go Retro guys!

    Yeah this the best deal out there 10 bucks lifetime for AC1 and AC2 and no monthly fee. Forget about Wildstar and ESO. Go Retro all the way.

  • gothmog99zgothmog99z Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Telondariel

    It kills me to hear the same people bleating on and on about how X game isn't worth it..unless it goes FTP.  Apparently at that point, there is a magical transition that turns the game, the company, and it's players from being flame-worthy into an experience they want to partake of and support.  /eyeroll   There is plenty of pub-par, Cash Shop-centric, wallet-digging FTP trash out there.  Please go find one and stop squabbling that one more thing in life isn't being given to you for free.

     

    As to the OP, I find myself in the position of observing and waiting.  I'd like to see the Imperial City opened up, as I was always a huge fan of Darkness Falls.  I am also allowing the game to mature for a bit more.  It's new, and there are still some growing pains that need to be worked out.  I see myself playing ESO, just not right now.

    my guess is they want to play but not pay for it.if it was a true sub game i's play it,it was fairly good,but i am not going to pay for a sub than have a cash shop as well.

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,632
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by vorpal28

    Personally paying the one off fee to play Asheron's Call will net you more fun than ESO ever will.

    Go Retro guys!

    Yeah this the best deal out there 10 bucks lifetime for AC1 and AC2 and no monthly fee. Forget about Wildstar and ESO. Go Retro all the way.

    You do realise that AC is still rather old school? They would be back crying on here in no time. In Teso they complained vet levels were a grind, I would just love to see them in AC1. I suppose they don't have corpse runs now, I would so like to see the whingers on here doing a corpse run. They complained about the gold cost to repair amour, can you imagine them on a corpse run? :D

    Do they still have crafting stations in AC2 where you have to feed the station resources to enable the workshop to actually make top gear? Can you imagine the look on their faces? :D

    Thanks for that guys, brought tears to my eyes.

     

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

    Is The Elder Scrolls Online worth buying?

    To who? is it worth buying TO WHO?  what a silly question.

    For me? Heck ya!

    When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,614
    Def worth buying for half price atm.

    image

  • DR4296DR4296 Member UncommonPosts: 17

    I participated in three of the Betas (or was it four?).   And two days ago, I decided to cancel my subscription.

    My guild and I were all excited when ESO came out, but frankly, the game fragmented our guild terribly.   People often TRIED to group together, but way-to-often encountered the phasing issue.  And there really wasn't any incentive or need to group together.    Everybody could tank, everybody could DPS, everybody could heal a little.   If some PVE baddie was too tough, you just came back to them when you've levelled a bit more.    You only needed to group for one dungeon per zone.  And frankly, you could skip that dungeon.

    I liked how immersive the quests were.  They were so immersive, that when one of my guildies entered Vent and said "hi!", I often found myself saying "Mmmm-hmm!" and listening instead to an NPC.   (My own fault, I know.)

    And you were cannon-fodder for PVP if you went in at a level lower than 50, so you HAD to work the level-grind continously, if you ever hoped to have any PVP where your a** wasn't handed to you every few minutes.

    Yes, the graphics are great, the lighting is great, the voice-acting is good.   

    But I can get most of that from paying $15 once for Skyrim and installing an ENB.    And the world there is far-more immersive than the one presented by ESO.    But it's darned lonely, which is why I had high hopes for grouping with my guildies in ESO.

    In the end, 80% of my guild-friends have left.  Why should I stick around (and continue to pay $15 per month)?

     

  • grafas7grafas7 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    No
  • captsammycaptsammy Member Posts: 17
    I was skeptical, then Steam had it at 50% off. At 30 bucks it was about the same I would spend to see a movie with popcorn and a coke. Did I get two hours of fun? HECK YEAH. The deeper I get into it the more I am addicted. There are some balance issues and such trivial things, but show me an MMO that did not have the same or worse for the first year. Any of you old enough to remember the fiasco that was WOW after launch? Is WOW F2P after how many years? I feel they have the right to make a profit off continuing the development of the game and content. Anyone that does not feel the same obviously has never purchased a car. My Jeep Wrangler was expensive, and guess what; I buy fuel and oil changes and insurance and those fees will never end. If you are shocked that a company wants to pay it's employees, and make a little profit, welcome to capitalism.
  • AdderTudeAdderTude Member CommonPosts: 4
    The main thing about it for me is that the grand scale fight they promised will happen in the trailer they barely implemented in the game.  If you watch "Angry" Joe Vargas' review of ESO, the promised battle in the trailer is literally unpopulated, as he fought all of roughly five creatures one at a time.  There was no huge army to wade through, and absolutely no grand scale feeling.  Just about the entire game for him was one huge "meh."  I mean, even the instance quests regarding the Oblivion Gates...all you have to do is just walk through the portal, wait for the area to load, and then touch the oblivion stone which is *right in front of you*.

    image
  • SamuinSamuin Member Posts: 1
    The game is ok up to lvl50 but they tried to cram TES into a thempark MMO mold that's not really all that diffirent from other mmo's and the result is a completely gutted TES experience and a pretty mediocre MMO
  • Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

    ESO is a solid mmo that carries over TES lore and style to make it unique enough in the mmo scene and casual enough to draw in people who would otherwise stay away from the mmo genre. I played mmos for a good while back in the day but grew sick of the crammed UI and npc text and cool downs and the like. ESO virtually removed all of that (it's there in addons if you would like) and that plays a major role on why I'm still playing now. 

    Tried both Wildstar and Archeage and I could never go back to that style again

  • hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57

    No, it is still just as buggy and unreliable as when it was beta. Some addon's restore things that should have been done with the GUI and API before it went live, but that just isn't enough. 

    ESO for the most part is completely unsupported, they give not one shit about their subscriber on a personal basis. I was on hold for constant crashes in the game for 4 hours. They then hung up on me.

    Zenimax is a cowardly shell of a company there to rip you off. Don't buy this game.

  • RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 75

    My brother picked it up for $19.99 from the ESO site. We have had a lot of fun playing the game. I like the combat and the PvE content in the game.  It is worth the buy if you like this type of game.

    And yes there are some bug's, not unlike most mmo's that I have played over the years.

    Redsalt... the other salt.

  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 937

    I'd say, if people seriously discuss whether a game is dying, i would refrain from buying it. Even if it's not dying, i don't think it's in the best shape. Whether thats due to bug, low player count, monetization model, core mechanics/gameplay or whatever.

    I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

  • alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by DR4296

    I participated in three of the Betas (or was it four?).   And two days ago, I decided to cancel my subscription.

    My guild and I were all excited when ESO came out, but frankly, the game fragmented our guild terribly.   People often TRIED to group together, but way-to-often encountered the phasing issue.  And there really wasn't any incentive or need to group together.    Everybody could tank, everybody could DPS, everybody could heal a little.   If some PVE baddie was too tough, you just came back to them when you've levelled a bit more.    You only needed to group for one dungeon per zone.  And frankly, you could skip that dungeon.

    I liked how immersive the quests were.  They were so immersive, that when one of my guildies entered Vent and said "hi!", I often found myself saying "Mmmm-hmm!" and listening instead to an NPC.   (My own fault, I know.)

    And you were cannon-fodder for PVP if you went in at a level lower than 50, so you HAD to work the level-grind continously, if you ever hoped to have any PVP where your a** wasn't handed to you every few minutes.

    Yes, the graphics are great, the lighting is great, the voice-acting is good.   

    But I can get most of that from paying $15 once for Skyrim and installing an ENB.    And the world there is far-more immersive than the one presented by ESO.    But it's darned lonely, which is why I had high hopes for grouping with my guildies in ESO.

    In the end, 80% of my guild-friends have left.  Why should I stick around (and continue to pay $15 per month)?

     

    This... the Single Player element is good enough but the MMO part sucks... and the combat is also bad.

    They killed this MMO with the skill system, the way it works now there is no variety, everyone just uses the best spell for the job, so 1 dps spell, 1 cc spell and so on..... no cooldowns no nothing you just spam spam and spam even cancelling animations to spam some more... who did they think will enjoy that?

     

    As for the fabled melee... i`ll just say this: my ranged sorcerer could solo skull camps where my melee sorcerer got 1shot... 

    This limited your options even more, either go ranged or go home(or try as melee knowing you will bring your group down)

     

Sign In or Register to comment.