Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7.4 mil? More like 450-500k subs at best...

13»

Comments

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Varex12
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah

Originally posted by OhhPaigey    How is this guy a spotlight poster lmao?    The reason why you can't find people to arena with is because of your attitude partly, and also because most good players don't use OQ and have friends they play with.    By the way, you couldn't find out of 660 people, 1 or 2 people to arena with? I'd love to see how you interact with people then lol.

I mean seriously, who the fuck are you to talk to anyone this way.  You dont know this guy, but by all means talk more shit because he has a conflicting opinion about your best friend, WoW.  I mean this guy has the super coveted " spot Light ' title.  Oh shit, lets fuck him up and steal his title and give it to Paigey, because being mean to another person is far more deserving of a title than talking shit about an MMORPG...

A lot of people on this site need to watch Fight Club again...

You are not the contents of your wallet

You are not the car that you drive

You are not the MMORPG that you play

Calm down, bro.  Not sure why you'd try to lecture Paigey on attacking posters when you are flying off the handle.  Might be time for you to take a little nap.    

Also, let's be realistic here, no offense to the OP, but the premise of this thread is pretty ludicrous.   WoW with only 400-500k subs?  

Somebody's not very good at math. 

Maybe in your household people fly off the handle over posts on a website, but not in mine.  So how about neither of us fabricate context for each others posts...

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Originally posted by OhhPaigey    How is this guy a spotlight poster lmao?    The reason why you can't find people to arena with is because of your attitude partly, and also because most good players don't use OQ and have friends they play with.    By the way, you couldn't find out of 660 people, 1 or 2 people to arena with? I'd love to see how you interact with people then lol.

I mean seriously, who the fuck are you to talk to anyone this way.  You dont know this guy, but by all means talk more shit because he has a conflicting opinion about your best friend, WoW.  I mean this guy has the super coveted " spot Light ' title.  Oh shit, lets fuck him up and steal his title and give it to Paigey, because being mean to another person is far more deserving of a title than talking shit about an MMORPG...

Calm down, bro.  Not sure why you'd try to lecture Paigey on attacking posters when you are flying off the handle.  Might be time for you to take a little nap.    

Also, let's be realistic here, no offense to the OP, but the premise of this thread is pretty ludicrous.   WoW with only 400-500k subs?  

I would do the math and agree...the actual subs in the millions? That's what needs to be checks. Not the OP opinion. That tired game may still have millions of tired fanbois, but not near that many subs.

If it does...how sad for the MMO community...srsly

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

They sold millions of copies of their last crappy expansion. Not hundreds of thousands. Millions.... Are you dense enough to think non-subscribers are buying the expansion? 

Doesn't take much to earn five stars or a title around this joint. Just bash WoW, and praise crap WoW knockoffs.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Golelorn

They sold millions of copies of their last crappy expansion. Not hundreds of thousands. Millions.... Are you dense enough to think non-subscribers are buying the expansion? 

Doesn't take much to earn five stars or a title around this joint. Just bash WoW, and praise crap WoW knockoffs.

Pretty logical way of figuring subscriptions, Xpacs sold = subs.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Golelorn

Millions according to who? Let me guess? Blizzard? By the way if you read thread we are clearly discussing about now, which is the end of 2014 not 2012. A lot of things are changed within those 2 years. Fact is I do not have an accurate source to see exactly how many people purchased the expansion even then at retail price and I certanly don't trust Blizzard. One thing I have as a fact is my experience with the game and how it felt being part of it. Combine that with the state of the game and the industry now and that's enough info anyone could get.

[mod edit]

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Kopogero

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/list/us (if you go to wowprogress us)

US represents NA and Australia. Add Europe and you are looking at around 450-500k actual subs. It's been like this for years as I can remember. I don't even count those in China, since the amount they are paying is fraction of what America/Europe/Australia is paying.

This also makes sense since rest of the AAA MMO's probably have 50-100k subs at best. This also fits well for the experience I had with WOW. When I used OQ for example (addon that allows me to find all PvP'ers across all realms) I was literally in the pool of 1k (there were 660+ dps and 330+ healers with up to 2000 rating)

Bottom line is, 500k subs and 7.4 mil just makes me laugh, especially to all these people who are actually "buying" that number. Keep in mind, those "500k also could be high level alts counted as well".

I believe the problem here may be terminology. There are three issues here:

1. The site referenced seems to list Concurrent Users (CCU). This is the amount of players on at one time. This is only a fraction of the people who actually have a subscription.

2. The majority of the WoW subscription numbers has always been in asia. Roughly 2/3 of the subscription numbers come from Asia.

3. The subscription numbers for Asia are measured differnetly than in the west (because subs are illegal). They count any account that has logged in during the month using a timecard as an active sub. Timecards are prepaid cards with minutes of game time. So, to be active, you need only have used one minute during the month.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Elbone
    OP please remove the Wiseman avatar from your profile, your idiocy isnt worthy of bearing such a legend.

I was just about to comment about the irony of his profile avatar.  You beat me to it lol.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

The fact I could not find players to PvP in the 2k rating month in the season with OQ was the saddening fact. I then went to the site and counted exactly how many 1900-2000 rated players there was in America/Australia and it was 1k! That's right folks...1k and from that 1k only 660 were dps that I could actually use as a healer.

From those 600 players, finding dozen that actually were willing to push rating was challenging. Bottom line is...when I'm playing the game and I'm left with few hundred players at best to further progress it out of America/Australia doesn't feel at all like it has "millions of subs".

But then again this is one of the issues with the game design and why it's lost so many subs over the decade. Best part is how always WOW claims the global sub number, but never individually claims the amount of subs per Europe, China and so forth. Maeby cuz WOW was actually one of the few MMO's China allowed in their country with a population of 1,367,040,000.

How is this guy a spotlight poster lmao?

If you go check ratings on WoWs website: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/leaderboards/3v3#page=80 you can see at page 80, 5,000 characters in, the lowest rating is 2400. There's probably 15,000+ 2k+ rated players just in 3s, you obviously didn't count very well.

The reason why you can't find people to arena with is because of your attitude partly, and also because most good players don't use OQ and have friends they play with.

By the way, you couldn't find out of 660 people, 1 or 2 people to arena with? I'd love to see how you interact with people then lol.

I play on Thrall mostly and many of the Arena players have no issue finding people to PvP with on the server alone using trade chat. There are some great guilds that focus on PvP and assist members with rankings. I think you hit a brick wall and just made excuses instead of working to find answers.

Didn't the season end for Arena anyways? I thought it was on pause until the new changes and xpac gets launched and worked out.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Superman0X

3. The subscription numbers for Asia are measured differnetly than in the west (because subs are illegal). They count any account that has logged in during the month using a timecard as an active sub. Timecards are prepaid cards with minutes of game time. So, to be active, you need only have used one minute during the month.

I'd be surprised if the amount of Asians only logging on to WoW for a few minutes every month made up a significant amount of that 7.4 million number ((if they even exist in the first place...)

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Golelorn They sold millions of copies of their last crappy expansion. Not hundreds of thousands. Millions.... Are you dense enough to think non-subscribers are buying the expansion?    Doesn't take much to earn five stars or a title around this joint. Just bash WoW, and praise crap WoW knockoffs.
    Millions according to who? Let me guess? Blizzard? By the way if you read thread we are clearly discussing about now, which is the end of 2014 not 2012. A lot of things are changed within those 2 years. Fact is I do not have an accurate source to see exactly how many people purchased the expansion even then at retail price and I certanly don't trust Blizzard. One thing I have as a fact is my experience with the game and how it felt being part of it. Combine that with the state of the game and the industry now and that's enough info anyone could get.

Maeby you are the densed one trusting some figures someone posts over actually being part of the game to form your opinion on the state of its subs.

Activision Blizzard is a publicly traded company which comes with it's own set of rules, first you need to open your books and show all your numbers and no, you can't simply cook them up like you make it out here.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Publicly traded companies are generally required to have their accounts audited by outside auditors, and then publish the accounts to their shareholders. Besides the cost, this may make useful information available to competitors. Various other annual and quarterly reports are also required by law. In the United States, the Sarbanes–Oxley Act imposes additional requirements.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by Golelorn They sold millions of copies of their last crappy expansion. Not hundreds of thousands. Millions.... Are you dense enough to think non-subscribers are buying the expansion?    Doesn't take much to earn five stars or a title around this joint. Just bash WoW, and praise crap WoW knockoffs.

Maeby you are the densed one trusting some figures someone posts over actually being part of the game to form your opinion on the state of its subs.

Activision Blizzard is a publicly traded company which comes with it's own set of rules, first you need to open your books and show all your numbers and no, you can't simply cook them up like you make it out here.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Publicly traded companies are generally required to have their accounts audited by outside auditors, and then publish the accounts to their shareholders. Besides the cost, this may make useful information available to competitors. Various other annual and quarterly reports are also required by law. In the United States, the Sarbanes–Oxley Act imposes additional requirements.

This thread should die. The OP is clearly trolling. He's one of those small minded people who can't see beyond their own nose. Do you really think he nkows how public companies work? Of course not, he probably doesn't even know what a public company is. He doesn't believe Blizzard because he only wants to troll. Then he goes on to talk how this is only his opinion so he can't be wrong. Can you believe it? So if I said that sky is pink, it can't be true because it's my opinion.

Stupidity at its best.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

I would do the math and agree...the actual subs in the millions? That's what needs to be checks. Not the OP opinion. That tired game may still have millions of tired fanbois, but not near that many subs.

If it does...how sad for the MMO community...srsly

Lol, you don't think there's millions of subs?  Really?  

Wait... are you one of those folks who believes the moon landing was staged?  

Seriously, the length the MMO snobs and WoW-haters on this board go through to discredit the most popular MMO of all time is hilarious.  I swear, you guys have turned hating on WoW into your own private sandbox MMO, in which you can terraform the facts to back up any argument you want about why WoW is failing.  It's truly hilarious.  

Here's a fact for you:  WoW has lost more subs in its lifetime than any two games you have ever loved have ever had during their lifetimes.  And now you are honestly trying to convince people that WoW still doesn't hold millions of subs, just because it's that important to you to believe that it shows some kind of philosophical shift in gamer's wants and needs that more closely match your own.   

Here's a newsflash:  The casual gamer is still the most important gamer on the market, because there are more of them than any other kind.  And WoW caters to that.  Doesn't matter what you think of the WoW model...for good or bad.  Blizzard figured this out a long time ago, and they'll be the top mmorpg on the market until the day they decide to pull the plug.  The MMO snobs will just have to deal with that fact.  

Wow is easily the most populated sub today, with subs in the millions.  It will only grow after the xpac is released.  Do yourself a favor and stop gnashing your teeth about it and crying conspiracy.  It makes you look silly.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Maybe in your household people fly off the handle over posts on a website, but not in mine.  So how about neither of us fabricate context for each others posts...

I guess you missed the irony in your own post, then.  

This discussion has been closed.