Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Will Dragon Age: Inquisition Be Too Long?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dragon Age: Inquisition will take single-players between 150-200 hours to complete. Even with a solo campaign of 20-40 hours, we ask the question: is it too much for a game that’s not Elder Scrolls to maintain?

Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: Will Dragon Age: Inquisition Be Too Long?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

How can an RPG be too long?!?

The real question is if Bioware learned to make their games easier to mod or not. The first Dragon Age had some tools at least, the second was a PITA.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• necredonnecredon Member Posts: 118

Yes it will be to long and we should all avoid buying it to send a clear message to these pesky developers! 

When will they learn to provide us with less content.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    I would far prefer it if they divided the content into a number of DLC's and charged me repeatedly for their game.  
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    Originally posted by JJ82

The real question is if Bioware learned to make their games easier to mod or not. The first Dragon Age had some tools at least, the second was a PITA.

It can be too long if they add too much filler. RPGs can be grindy just as MMOs. As long as the game is interesting, it can't be too long.

Originally posted by PioneerStew
    I would far prefer it if they divided the content into a number of DLC's and charged me repeatedly for their game.  

^ this so much, its like they don't even want our money.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Keep it coming guys I dont think the author feels like a pile of steaming brown goop yet....but seriously I dont think the game can be too long. Once you have invested over 100 hrs on it you basically dont want it to end.
    Originally posted by Alverant

It can be too long if they add too much filler. RPGs can be grindy just as MMOs. As long as the game is interesting, it can't be too long.

Filler never needs to be done...side quests are always optional in SRPGs.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

I don't consider side-quests to be filler. Filler is something that doesn't add to anything and is just there to pad out the mandatory game time. If you can avoid it, it's not filler.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Repeat the question please

I don't consider side-quests to be filler. Filler is something that doesn't add to anything and is just there to pad out the mandatory game time. If you can avoid it, it's not filler.

Then you are misusing the word filler. In the game industry things like crafting and non main story quests are called filler content.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I hope they don't mean it will be too long like the witcher was which was basically very little content stretched out as much as possible.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Now that's what im taling about. the last 2 ES games reign supreme because of modding...no one is going to play Dragon Age 3 for more than a few hundred hours if players cant create content for it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Even with a solo campaign of 20-40 hours, we ask the question: is it too much for a game that’s not Elder Scrolls to maintain?

uh, NO! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Now that's what im taling about. the last 2 ES games reign supreme because of modding...no one is going to play Dragon Age 3 for more than a few hundred hours if players cant create content for it.

It's ALL about the mods.

I'm currenlty running 74 give or take while I tweak/drop some until my game is stable. 

And when I finish this game, I'll drop all my mods find a whole new set and build a whole new game.

I also do some light modding myself...more or less alter and edit others mods to my specifications, but yeah.

EDIT: Although, it looks as though I may have to actually learn to edit quests. I've been waiting for a mod that allows me to use violence to resolve my Parthurnaax problem with Delphine and Esbern. And the closet one only lets me tell her off. I wanna beat the crap outta her for being too arrogant.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Then you are misusing the word filler. In the game industry things like crafting and non main story quests are called filler content.

I agreed with you until I read his response a second time. It's actually quite good. I do tend to agree with your point of view, that filler is content that allows them to put a shiny sticker on the front saying "100 hours of gameplay!" opposed to being anything useful. 

However, I do love the concept that, how can something be "filler" content, if you aren't forced to play it? It's almost philosophical.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

"My new RPG is too long and has too much content in it!"

#firstworldproblems 

It's hilarious that most people worry that RPGs will be too short but if they announce a game will be long sure enough some weird people on the internet are going to complain about that as well. :)

Originally posted by iridescence

"My new RPG is too long and has too much content in it!"

#firstworldproblems 

It's hilarious that most people worry that RPGs will be too short but if they announce a game will be long sure enough some weird people on the internet are going to complain about that as well. :)

IKR???

And maybe someone can set up a 3rd party website and charge those same people to play the game for them too.

Send them daily updates via email as to the progress they are making so the player still feels connected to their game. 

LOL

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    I don't feel bad at all! I personally want it to be long. Read what's there and then come back.
  • docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

What kind of question is that posed on an MMO site???

200 hours are probably the minimum for any MMO. So 200 tops for a single player might be a lot but definitely not too much (especially without a subscription....)

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Skyrim is no benchmark for content

The open world is kinda empty, the cities *and* houses are still instanced, and besides the very basic of replayability - different races, different "classes" - Skyrim only had the radiant quests.

But i do not find it fun to visit 100 caves/cairns etc. that look exactly the same, only to fight the same boss, too (it does not make a different whether the boss is a vampire mage, or a human mage, or a daedra casting when it comes to fighting him).

And people talk about mods here..thats not content provided by Skrim. It's nice that you can mod it, i love to mod my games, too. But that content is done by modders, who could "simply" create that content for other games, too. Half the mods for Skyrim are just Morrowind or Oblivion mods recreated in the first place.

And Skyrims mods mostly where visuals, whether it's the world or new armor etc. If you want actual content, check out Neverwinter Nights.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Originally posted by GameByNight
    I don't feel bad at all! I personally want it to be long. Read what's there and then come back.

We know, the title was to easy though.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    The question is not if it is too long. The question is, does the game live up to expections for both its length and price. Putting out a game that is boring and not fun at 5 hours total length can be  just as boring and not fun if it were to last 100's of hours.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

So,

You have a game where the first installment (DAO) drew rave reviews, a 2nd installment that drew mixed reviews at best and a 3rd installment that everyone even remotely aware of the game is looking for news.  You have a playerbase following the game, they have released previous editions of the series with a toolbox and they just released DAO for free.  Add to that the shallow MMO market where a lot of people are looking for a game to play.  I'd say 200 hours of content releasing now is fantastic for EA and the franchise.  

I'm a MMO player and I like a lot of others are looking for the next game or are tired of the current game.  In looking at the previews of the next installment of Dragon Age, I can see spending 200 hours playing the game.  To me that is much better than getting 40 hours and then rounding out my game with another $40 in DLC for 60-70 hours of fun.   

• KamatariPLKamatariPL Member UncommonPosts: 7
    The very question asked is BS. RPG's can't be too long and making a long game should be applauded in times when we constantly get 8 to 10h long relases. Did you even play old rpgs? Beating Baldurs Gate 2 without the expansion took around 200 hours as well. And that game is a damned legend.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Anireth

Skyrim is no benchmark for content

The open world is kinda empty, the cities *and* houses are still instanced, and besides the very basic of replayability - different races, different "classes" - Skyrim only had the radiant quests.

But i do not find it fun to visit 100 caves/cairns etc. that look exactly the same, only to fight the same boss, too (it does not make a different whether the boss is a vampire mage, or a human mage, or a daedra casting when it comes to fighting him).

And people talk about mods here..thats not content provided by Skrim. It's nice that you can mod it, i love to mod my games, too. But that content is done by modders, who could "simply" create that content for other games, too. Half the mods for Skyrim are just Morrowind or Oblivion mods recreated in the first place.

And Skyrims mods mostly where visuals, whether it's the world or new armor etc. If you want actual content, check out Neverwinter Nights.

Your point is very well taken though I think it's a "glass half full/half empty" proposition.

I don't look at the world as empty. I look at it as a "world". The last thing I want is to be besieged every 100 feet with something.

The whole point of the elder scrolls games is to venture out and see what you may or may not find. Of course, there are those inverted ^ that point the way which can be a blessing or a curse.

There are quite a few Skyrim mods that are quest mods. Besides the one I've been building I've been playing many of these and they definitely help spread the reason to be out in the world.

In any case, I've been playing the game since launch. So that's over the course of 3 years. Or in truth, 1099 hours in total. Not many games can make me put in 1099 hours.

But again, a game like skyrim is what you make of it. Anyone who solely plays it for the quest lines will be missing the point or the best part of the game. Which of course may mean that it's not for them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo