Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is P2W! Don't play this game

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Omali
    Originally posted by Thane
    seeing his arguments, i dont think the OP actually understands what P2W means

The secondary definition of p2w is "unfriendly to freeloaders." 

Originally posted by CIB3

The game is advertised by BioWare as F2P game. I just want to warn new potential F2P players that the game is still unplayable for free and it is a P2P or P2W game. A paying player will win a free player because it will have better gear (purple), more abilities to use, more money to buy better gear and abilities, etc.

Then you don't understand what "unplayable" means either.

I actually suspect the OP suffers the "unplayable" part in a lot of MMO's (and other games).

I've got plenty of guildies that are F2P, and they are succeeding in an "unplayable" game. Either they are some very talented people or the OP is less... talented.

Given the outrage at the lack of medical probes I'm leaning towards option #2.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    You cant buy gear/power upgrades with real money, so the game is not p2w, case closed.

You need to buy the ability to equip and use better gear (purple) with real money. So this is why I call the game P2W.

And this is not the only P2W aspect.

[mod edit]
  • viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by hikaru77

-200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W! A F2P player can't buy good items and some abilities at high level.

-Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear.... P2W!  Purple mods are locked too.

-Access to 2 Quickbars... P2W!   2 quickbars are not enough to put all abilities at high level.

-Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased with $$$)... P2W!

What is that? P2W?

What´s your point?, you really need to undestand this:  SWTOR is a PAY to PLAY game.  The F2P is pretty much a TRIAL, if you really want to enjoy the game, you have to pay a Sub. 

Otherwise you should go to the Archeage forums to complaing about P2W or to one of the many real F2P MMOs that you´ll find around. 

And looks like you dont even know that all the unlocks can be purchased with ingame credits from the auction house, you´ll need more time and work and a player with a Sub but it can be done. 

The game is advertised by BioWare as F2P game. I just want to warn new potential F2P players that the game is still unplayable for free and it is a P2P or P2W game. A paying player will win a free player because it will have better gear (purple), more abilities to use, more money to buy better gear and abilities, etc.

take a look at this link https://account.swtor.com/play-free?utm_campaign=sor_pbm-search-north-america&utm_medium=cpc&sourceid=sor_pbm-search-north-america&cid=12849&ts=1413390521223&utm_medium=paid-search

you see that little asterisk next to "Free"?  that means there is an explanation below.  if you look below at the asterisk it clearly says  "

*SWTOR's Free-to-Play option contains some gameplay restrictions that limit access to certain features and content. For more information on these limitations please visit: www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE/features. "

so, as others have tried to explain to you, the game is not advertised as FREE TO PLAY, it is advertised as "free to play with restrictions"  THAT'S WHAT THE ASTERISK IS FOR.  if you don't want any restrictions then PAY TO PLAY this PAY TO PLAY GAME, or ACCEPT THE RESTRICTIONS, that they list when you sign up. 

bioware isn't hiding anything, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what restrictions are in place for free to play portion of the game.  if you don't like it , pay, simple as that.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    You cant buy gear/power upgrades with real money, so the game is not p2w, case closed.

You need to buy the ability to equip and use better gear (purple) with real money. So this is why I call the game P2W.

You can buy this through the GTN!!! Auction House. In-Game Trade Depot. Trading Post. Space Trader. Space Trade House. 

I'm not exactly sure what language will resonate with you at this point, so I'm trying every single possible meaning I can think of. You can buy the purple unlock through the GTN, just like every other unlock in the game. All using in-game gold, credits, dollars, money, monies, cash, moolah. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by viletot0

-200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W! A F2P player can't buy good items and some abilities at high level.

-Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear.... P2W!  Purple mods are locked too.

-Access to 2 Quickbars... P2W!   2 quickbars are not enough to put all abilities at high level.

-Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased with $$$)... P2W!

What is that? P2W?

What´s your point?, you really need to undestand this:  SWTOR is a PAY to PLAY game.  The F2P is pretty much a TRIAL, if you really want to enjoy the game, you have to pay a Sub. 

Otherwise you should go to the Archeage forums to complaing about P2W or to one of the many real F2P MMOs that you´ll find around. 

And looks like you dont even know that all the unlocks can be purchased with ingame credits from the auction house, you´ll need more time and work and a player with a Sub but it can be done. 

take a look at this link https://account.swtor.com/play-free?utm_campaign=sor_pbm-search-north-america&utm_medium=cpc&sourceid=sor_pbm-search-north-america&cid=12849&ts=1413390521223&utm_medium=paid-search

you see that little asterisk next to "Free"?  that means there is an explanation below.  if you look below at the asterisk it clearly says  "

*SWTOR's Free-to-Play option contains some gameplay restrictions that limit access to certain features and content. For more information on these limitations please visit: www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE/features. "

so, as others have tried to explain to you, the game is not advertised as FREE TO PLAY, it is advertised as "free to play with restrictions"  THAT'S WHAT THE ASTERISK IS FOR.  if you don't want any restrictions then PAY TO PLAY this PAY TO PLAY GAME, or ACCEPT THE RESTRICTIONS, that they list when you sign up. 

bioware isn't hiding anything, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what restrictions are in place for free to play portion of the game.  if you don't like it , pay, simple as that.

OK... and I tell to anyone who read this my opinion about these restrictions and about what is that asterisk and what it mean. Nothing more!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

I would say SWTOR is more free to try. And like other's have said, you can purchase most of the account unlock's via ingame credit's. Do all the restriction's suck, yup they do. But if you gave everything to f2p player's, how would you fund the game? And honestly nothing on your list is P2W, it's pay for convienence.

Edit: forgot about the GTN posting limit, F2P get I believe 5 slot's and subber's get 50ish.

Originally posted by ZigZagsIII
    This game failed over a year ago. Let sleeping dogs lie as they say.

Yes, it's only, currently, one of the most successful MMORPG games in terms of revenue, it has a new expansion coming out in December, but you are completely correct. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

What is that? P2W?

OK... and I tell to anyone who read this my opinion about these restrictions and about what is that asterisk and what it mean. Nothing more!

And every restriction that you mention can be unlocked using in-game gold. So, effectively, I never need to spend a penny of my own money on it. Thanks for the warning. HEY!! EVERYONE!! DON'T COME OVER HERE!! WE'VE GOT A F2P GAME THAT'S ACTUALLY FREE TO PLAY!!!! WE CAN'T LET THE OTHER GAMES SEE IT!!!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Originally posted by clumsytoes44

I would say SWTOR is more free to try. And like other's have said, you can purchase most of the account unlock's via ingame credit's. Do all the restriction's suck, yup they do. But if you gave everything to f2p player's, how would you fund the game? And honestly nothing on your list is P2W, it's pay for convienence.

Edit: forgot about the GTN posting limit, F2P get I believe 5 slot's and subber's get 50ish.

Oh, and you can purchase those additional slots on the GTN too, I believe. :) I think that's the 5th or 6th time mentioned now. At some point the concept will catch on with the OP. I'm not sure he's reading all of the posts. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44

Oh, and you can purchase those additional slots on the GTN too, I believe. :) I think that's the 5th or 6th time mentioned now. At some point the concept will catch on with the OP. I'm not sure he's reading all of the posts. 

Agree with ya 100%, and I forgot to put in that you can purchase more GTN space's in game also.

What is that? P2W?

And every restriction that you mention can be unlocked using in-game gold. So, effectively, I never need to spend a penny of my own money on it. Thanks for the warning. HEY!! EVERYONE!! DON'T COME OVER HERE!! WE'VE GOT A F2P GAME THAT'S ACTUALLY FREE TO PLAY!!!! WE CAN'T LET THE OTHER GAMES SEE IT!!!

Yea... you can unlock in time some of restrictions at high level (lvl 50 most probably) when you have enough money to buy escrows unlocks first and after to buy the desired unlock.

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Just when I thought I saw everything there was on these forums, this little gem came around. And it's only Wednesday, it's going to be a good week.

What is that? P2W?

Yea... you can unlock in time some of restrictions at high level (lvl 50 most probably) when you have enough money to buy escrows unlocks first and after to buy the desired unlock.

So what you're saying is that, with time, you can play this game completely free?!? Come on, I know you can. 

THANK YOU, DETROIT!! YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL!! GOODNIGHT!!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Bensor
    Or you could just pay a subscription and see ALL of these restrictions disappear. This isn't a P2W game, it is a P2P game. In this case, you are the greedy guy, not Bioware.

Yes... it's a Pay to Play game, but Bioware claim it as a F2P game. My post don't say anything... I just warn people about this.

The game is playable as f2p.  Sure you won't have access to everything but you can play up to max level as f2p.  As for as the expansion goes, I see nothing wrong with them charging for it just like most games already do.

A normal F2P can't play enough to unlock what he need. First, the level cap for F2P is only 50. A F2P receive lower XP, so at some point (level 35-40) the content level will be to much above the player level and the in game progress will be stopped because that player can't complete the quests to advance.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Nothing to see here other than yet another ignorant to the truth that Swtor's f2p model has ALWAYS been a glorified trial.

It is a HYBRID cash model. You will always be expected to pay the full sub price to not have to jump through hoops to obtain full access to the game.

OP needs to learn that there are many different f2p models out there. Many have slightly different names for them but one thing is true:  a hybrid model that is a sub + f2p is NOT pay to win. You have the choice to sub or have the choice to limited access. If you fail to read about the game and then run to the internet to complain you will only have egg on your face like CIB3 has.

You stay sassy!

A normal F2P can't play enough to unlock what he need. First, the level cap for F2P is only 50. A F2P receive lower XP, so at some point (level 35-40) the content level will be to much above the player level and the in game progress will be stopped because that player can't complete the quests to advance.

And at that point pick a planet and go on a killing spree, from what i've found it's a decent way to make credit's. You can also try and find a good guild that is willing to help a F2P get the unlock's (haven't tried this but it was a thought that rambled through my head).

Hmm? How do you know a normal F2P can't play enough?

And also some corrections:

1) F2P's don't earn "less" XP, they earn "standard" XP. Subscribers get a 25% XP bonus (so P2W, right?! ;) )

2) It's easy for F2P characters to level from 1-50 by only doing missions. It becomes even easier if they actually do Flashpoints and Warzones too (especially if they pick up the daily missions for both of these).

You may want to actually play a game before you start a rant.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Tamanous

Nothing to see here other than yet another ignorant to the truth that Swtor's f2p model has ALWAYS been a glorified trial.

It is a HYBRID cash model. You will always be expected to pay the full sub price to not have to jump through hoops to obtain full access to the game.

OP needs to learn that there are many different f2p models out there. Many have slightly different names for them but one thing is true:  a hybrid model that is a sub + f2p is NOT pay to win. You have the choice to sub or have the choice to limited access.

I think MMORPG.com actually has it listed as a hybrid too. image

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

You can argue your point till you're blue in the face, but it won't change the fact that this game is not P2W. After 5 pages, you still are going at it. I have an idea, it's a reach, but I know it will work. Stop playing the game, uninstall it and don't look back. I know it will be touch and go through the process, but I know you can manage and move on to another game.

OP needs to learn that there are many different f2p models out there. Many have slightly different names for them but one thing is true:  a hybrid model that is a sub + f2p is NOT pay to win. You have the choice to sub or have the choice to limited access.

Subscription=pay. A player need to pay to "win" the game content, to go to level 55, to equipt purple gear, etc. Where is my error?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Subscription=pay. A player need to pay to "win" the game content, to go to level 55, to equipt purple gear, etc. Where is my error?

The f2p option is  an extended TRIAL. Do you understand this?

A TRIAL.

LIMITED GAME PLAY.

THE DE FACTO STANDARD FOR PLAYING THE GAME IS SUBSRCIPTION!!!

SNAP OUT OF YOUR FUNK DUDE!

Click that switch in your brain. You should be ECSTATIC that the game even allows you to play it to the extent it does as f2p ... because it is really a subscription game. The worst thing Bioware did was hide this slightly in order to attract more players but seconds after logging into the game as f2p an genetically intellectually enhanced lab mouse could figure out it is really a sub game when the 295 reminders go off per play session telling you about the benefits of a sub over f2p.

You stay sassy!

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

So WoW is pay to win? I know I can play to level 20 for free, but need to sub to go higher.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=587642

There, check out that link. It's a clear conversation with a Bioware Support person saying that a few people purchased the Artifact Authorization OFF THE GTN and it was broken. Bioware support then confirms they did have a bug with it. However, he did fix the issue for them. 

So, yes, you can purchse the purple gear unlock off the GTN. It's called Artifact Authorization and it's wonderful. I'm assuming that any issues with it will have been fixed at this point, also. 

You don't need to spend any real money. Nope, sure don't. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

The f2p option is  an extended TRIAL. Do you understand this?

A TRIAL.

LIMITED GAME PLAY.

THE DE FACTO STANDARD FOR PLAYING THE GAME IS SUBSRCIPTION!!!

SNAP OUT OF YOUR FUNK DUDE!

Exactly what I said! Is not F2P... it's a trial or something like that

This discussion has been closed.