Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is P2W! Don't play this game

CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121

Here are actual restrictions for F2P players (from reddit):

Last Updated: 10/13/14

The free to play option was released on 11/15/2012.

Anyone can now play all of the story content from levels 1-50.

Access to Level 51-55 can only be obtained by purchasing the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion, the Shadow of Revan expansion, or by subscribing for 1 month after September 2013.

Access to Level 56-60 can only be obtained after 12/9/2014 by purchasing the Shadow of Revan expansion.

Free to Play Restrictions:

• 200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W!
    • Escrow Account Credits can now be transferred out with a Cartel Market Consumable.
    • These only transfer credits from the Escrow Account to existing credit balance.
    • The Transfer Packages do not increase the credit cap.
      • Small Package - 50k - 40 Cartel Coins
      • Medium Package - 150k - 80 Cartel Coins
      • Large Package - 600k - 240 Cartel Coins
  • Access to 1 Crew Skill... P2W!
  • Access to 2 Character Slots
  • Access to 2 Galactic Trade Network slots
  • Access to 2 Quickbars... P2W!
  • Access to 3 Species for Character Creation
  • Access to 5 Medical Probes (In Field Revive) per Character... P2W!
  • Bank (Cargo Hold) Access must be unlocked... P2W!
  • Can only receive Mail... P2W!
  • Cannot Trade items... P2W!
  • No Access to In-Game Support
  • No Access to Rest XP
  • No Login Priority
  • Restricted Chat functions
  • Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased)... P2W!
  • Restricted to 3 Space Missions per week (Weekly pass can be purchased)... P2W!
  • Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear.... P2W!
  • Weekly Pass must be purchased to access any Operations... P2W!
The game is still unplayable for F2P players! Don't play this game and don't feed the BioWare's greed!!!

Comments

• BensorBensor Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Or you could just pay a subscription and see ALL of these restrictions disappear. This isn't a P2W game, it is a P2P game. In this case, you are the greedy guy, not Bioware.
  • st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Bensor
    Or you could just pay a subscription and see ALL of these restrictions disappear. This isn't a P2W game, it is a P2P game. In this case, you are the greedy guy, not Bioware.

I don't completely agree with the OP, but SWTOR's F2P restrictions (and even Preferred) are ridiculous.  I've tried to go back a few times and would even consider paying for it if I enjoyed it enough, but the restrictions are so prohibitive that it discourages me from really putting any commitment into it.

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121

Yes... it's a Pay to Play game, but Bioware claim it as a F2P game. My post don't say anything... I just warn people about this.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by st3v3b0

I don't completely agree with the OP, but SWTOR's F2P restrictions (and even Preferred) are ridiculous.  I've tried to go back a few times and would even consider paying for it if I enjoyed it enough, but the restrictions are so prohibitive that it discourages me from really putting any commitment into it.

Pretty much this.

Not even cool features like off rails space combat and strong holds (housing) is enough to excite me.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

A player who pays a subscription for a game should have a discernibly improved experience over one who does not.  

If you do not like the restrictions try paying for the products you use.  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Hah, good one OP, so access to content is P2W? I could agree on the Purple restrictions. As you are at a disadvantage somewhat in competitive play. However TOR is a PVE game first and foremost. It's a story game, and you can see all of that for free...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

hahahah

Let's define P2W.. P2W is when you PAY to have an advantage over another player.  (i.e. I buy a lightsaber that does 90000 damage per hit when the highest one in game is only a 3000 damage sword).

_________________________________________________________________________________

Let's go through each of your gripes (which you want to pay NOTHING for) one at a time:

• 200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W!
    This is to prevent goldsellers on accounts.  But hey.. you don't need 200K if you're F2P... everything is given to you (including XP buffs) by questing.
    But you need at LEAST 2.  Well, then you should probably use a referral (like the one conveniently located in my signature).  The welcome package includes a couple of nice items, including crew skill unlocks.
    How many quickbars do you need?  Including all of my movement buffs, I never use more than 2 quickbars.
    Don't suck.  Seriously, you RARELY need these.
    Unlocked for like 10K.  And then you pay for each additional bay.  Still waiting for the P2W portion.
    Again, a restriction to prevent goldsellers.
    Yet another goldseller restriction.
    • Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased)... P2W!
    At this point I don't think you actually know what you're talking about.
    • Restricted to 3 Space Missions per week (Weekly pass can be purchased)... P2W!
    Clearly not a pay to win, just a restriction.  Nothing in space missions carry over to anything in the game other than... space missions.
    • Restricted to 5 Warzones per week (Weekly pass can be purchased)... P2W!
    Your rewards for warzones are warzone only gear.  So really... nothing pay to win here either.
    So use the metric TON of oranges that are available that only require new mods and can be worn from level 1-55.
    Operations are a bonus.  Nothing in them makes them "winning"

2 problems:

1.  You know zilch about P2W.  Everything you noted is a restriction, but not required to play the game or experience the story.  Nothing you noted expressly gives players a leg up over another.  Finally, LMAO.. I can't believe I just wasted these minutes of my life responding to such a silly post.

2.  A bunch of those things get better if you spend a measly 5 bucks in the store.  But hey, whatever.

• GadzGadz Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by PioneerStew

A player who pays a subscription for a game should have a discernibly improved experience over one who does not.  

If you do not like the restrictions try paying for the products you use.  

100% in agreement

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    If you can't even be arsed to inform yourself on what P2W means then dont make stupid threads.....

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    seeing his arguments, i dont think the OP actually understands what P2W means

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by CIB3

Here are actual restrictions for F2P players (from reddit):

Last Updated: 10/13/14

The free to play option was released on 11/15/2012.

Anyone can now play all of the story content from levels 1-50.

Access to Level 51-55 can only be obtained by purchasing the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion, the Shadow of Revan expansion, or by subscribing for 1 month after September 2013.

Access to Level 56-60 can only be obtained after 12/9/2014 by purchasing the Shadow of Revan expansion.

Free to Play Restrictions:

• Escrow Account Credits can now be transferred out with a Cartel Market Consumable.
      • These only transfer credits from the Escrow Account to existing credit balance.
      • The Transfer Packages do not increase the credit cap.
        • Small Package - 50k - 40 Cartel Coins
        • Medium Package - 150k - 80 Cartel Coins
        • Large Package - 600k - 240 Cartel Coins
    • Access to 2 Character Slots
    • Access to 2 Galactic Trade Network slots
    • Access to 3 Species for Character Creation
    • No Access to In-Game Support
    • No Access to Rest XP
    • No Login Priority
    • Restricted Chat functions
    The game is still unplayable for F2P players! Don't play this game and don't feed the BioWare's greed!!!

Thanks for the mid-week laugh. Apart from the gross mis-understanding of what P2W actually means, like at all, like not even in the same ballpark or on the same planet, I'll still address your highlighted items nonetheless. 

First, yes, let's remove the credit cap so that gold farmers have an unlimited bank account. Super idea. Are you a filthy gold farmer?!?!? 

Secondly, Medical Probes are not P2W. What? So you need to walk back instead of reviving instantly? Mmmmmmmmk. Yeah, P2W bro. 

Third, everything else that you list here can be purchased through the GTN because the cartel coin unlocks are NOT soulbound. So........ yeah...... you have obviously never played a game that is actually P2W. Nevermind that, you're bashing one of the VERY few games out there that allows cash shop items to be re-sold through the in-game auction house or trade, giving free players the ABILITY to compete directly with P2P players. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    It's really a SPRPG in MMO clothing. It's fun for a couple of weeks, so just enjoy it for what it is. There is no real economy or anything like that so even if you have pay to win features it doesn't resonate like it would in a real MMORPG.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I only use F2P feature to try games out, if I like it, I will subscribe to get the optimal experience, because why would I not, if I like the game?

Anyway, I dont see SWTOR being a P2W game since your character power is the same as anyone else, it simply has some ridiculous restrictions that makes it really hard to play as a full mmorpg, but it's totally playable as a story game still with equal character as anyone else.

If you want to play it as a mmorpg, either you unlock a ton of features through CC or you sub, but PW2? Not really, not in a way that bothers me anyway. If I could buy items that made my character more powerful then it would be P2W, because even as a subber I would be weaker than people who bought those items. That's my definition of a P2W game, raw character/item power.

-200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W! A F2P player can't buy good items and some abilities at high level. F2P players hardly can buy some cheap unlocks from AH (GTN) due to this limit.

-Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear.... P2W!  Purple mods are locked too.

-Access to 2 Quickbars... P2W!   2 quickbars are not enough to put all abilities at high level.

-Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased with $$$)... P2W!

What is that? P2W?

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

SWTOR is a P2P game with a F2P option, easy like that.  

P2W is when the guy who spend more money on the CS will have a huge Advantage over a player who dont use the CS. The only HUGE ADVANTAGE that you´ll get from the SWTOR CS is a lot of Cosmetic stuff.

It do have a lot of restictions for a F2P player, but again, SWTOR is a P2P MMO, it have been like that since launch, and as one of the most played MMOs on the market, it doesnt looks like it will change anytime soon.

-200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W! A F2P player can't buy good items and some abilities at high level.

-Unlock must be purchased to use Artifact (Purple) gear.... P2W!  Purple mods are locked too.

-Access to 2 Quickbars... P2W!   2 quickbars are not enough to put all abilities at high level.

-Restricted to 3 Flashpoints Rewards from the final boss per week (Weekly pass can be purchased with $$$)... P2W!

What is that? P2W?

So buy the unlocks off the GTN. 

Plus, the best gear available isn't available for purchase anyway. So why not just work for your gear? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

-200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W! A F2P player can't buy good items and some abilities at high level.

What is that? P2W?

Plus, the best gear available isn't available for purchase anyway. So why not just work for your gear? 

Because:

And, if a F2P player don't have purple gear unlocked, he can't use that dropped gear!
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

What is that? P2W?

What´s your point?, you really need to undestand this:  SWTOR is a PAY to PLAY game.  The F2P is pretty much a TRIAL, if you really want to enjoy the game, you have to pay a Sub. 

Otherwise you should go to the Archeage forums to complaing about P2W or to one of the many real F2P MMOs that you´ll find around. 

And looks like you dont even know that all the unlocks can be purchased with ingame credits from the auction house, you´ll need more time and work and a player with a Sub but it can be done. 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

-200,000 Credit Cap (anything above this amount is saved in an Escrow account)... P2W! A F2P player can't buy good items and some abilities at high level. F2P players hardly can buy some cheap unlocks from AH (GTN) due to this limit.

Ok.

1)  Almost all items that a F2P would need to unlock sells for BELOW that 200K cap limit.  Why?  Because I know quite a few folks who play entirely F2P.  So it's most definitely possible (though levelling without XP boosts sounds very hard).

2)  So don't use Purple Mods?  A blue mod will suffice all the way up.  You'll be regularly replacing them anyways.  Don't waste the time/money/energy on purple mods you're just going to replace.

3)  As someone playing a level 55.. I can tell you ALL abilities that could be needed (my CC's, AOE rotation, single rotation, etc) are on 2 quick bars.  My exception is my left sidebar (which you won't have).  On that bar is my vehicle, rocket boots, quick travel, and fleet pass (which is rarely used now as I can go from my GS to fleet no issues).

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

Guy's get over it, the F2P people will never be happy until a game comes out that is actually free. They want free inet, free games, free phones, free food and sit on their butts all day long playing free games.

Just a waste to even respond to them anymore.

Personally I think we went wrong when we stopped spanking them and telling people my child does no wrong.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Originally posted by hikaru77

What is that? P2W?

What´s your point?, you really need to undestand this:  SWTOR is a PAY to PLAY game.  The F2P is pretty much a TRIAL, if you really want to enjoy the game, you have to pay a Sub. 

Otherwise you should go to the Archeage forums to complaing about P2W or to one of the many real F2P MMOs that you´ll find around. 

And looks like you dont even know that all the unlocks can be purchased with ingame credits from the auction house, you´ll need more time and work and a player with a Sub but it can be done. 

The game is advertised by BioWare as F2P game. I just want to warn new potential F2P players that the game is still unplayable for free and it is a P2P or P2W game. A paying player will win a free player because it will have better gear (purple), more abilities to use, more money to buy better gear and abilities, etc.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Thane
    seeing his arguments, i dont think the OP actually understands what P2W means

The secondary definition of p2w is "unfriendly to freeloaders." 

The game is advertised by BioWare as F2P game. I just want to warn new potential F2P players that the game is still unplayable for free and it is a P2P or P2W game. A paying player will win a free player because it will have better gear (purple), more abilities to use, more money to buy better gear and abilities, etc.

Then you don't understand what "unplayable" means either.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    You cant buy gear/power upgrades with real money, so the game is not p2w, case closed.
    Originally posted by hikaru77

What is that? P2W?

Ok, so now that you've been told on three separate occasions that you can buy unlocks directly through the GTN, it's become clear that you're an idiot. You can BUY UNLOCKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT FOR IN-GAME GOLD!!!!! THIS MAKES YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT USELESS!!! MUCH LIKE MY WORDS AT THE MOMENT! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

What is that? P2W?

Because:

And, if a F2P player don't have purple gear unlocked, he can't use that dropped gear!

Just so you know, the Warzones restriction was removed about a year ago or so.

So you can remove that from your fail list. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

This discussion has been closed.