Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen hits 58 million $ in crowdfunding

JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

looks like 8000 new people joined since last week and preordered the game.

Number of citizens went up from 599.000 to over 620.000 in just a few weeks.

Welll done CIG, going to open a bottle of champagne when you hit the 100 million $ budget

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I was amazed that they got all that money just from a few thousand (2.8-3.2 iirc) backers.

I was also amazed when I found out only 3.5% of people who have backed the game have actually played it.

..Cake..

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by sgel

I was amazed that they got all that money just from a few thousand (2.8-3.2 iirc) backers.

I was also amazed when I found out only 3.5% of people who have backed the game have actually played it.

as of today 621,014 people PRE-ORDERED the game, supporting its development by PLEDGING. Not everyone is into testing alphas/beta demos, people want a game when it´s out and released, filled with content to PLAY, plain and simple.

Besides your numbers are probably pulled out a place where the sun doesn´t shine as there are no sources for your little "IIRC"

look at that, 59 million approaching quickly, probably by next week

budget raised: 58,215,153 $

heh.

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

as of today 621,014 people PRE-ORDERED the game, supporting its development by PLEDGING. Not everyone is into testing alphas/beta demos, people want a game when it´s out and released, filled with content to PLAY, plain and simple.

Besides your numbers are probably pulled out a place where the sun doesn´t shine as there are no sources for your little "IIRC"

They're actually pulled from the SC official forums. You should read them sometime if you can get the glitter of cash out of your eyes.

I like how you try to defend against the information then go about disregarding it.

They should hit 100mil in 2015. 

Hopefully they can use this money to make a fun game.

..Cake..

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I can't understand the amount of money they've received.

The game is a instanced MMO in space without any character progression other than buy better ships and better ship parts.

The server system the game will have is something similar to Diablo 3 where you connect to their servers and create games with your friends. With the exception that you can create private servers and heavily mod them which are separate from the "closed servers".

Personally Elite: Dangerous sounds a lot more interesting than SC.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I know... it's baffling.

This is my theory after looking into it a bit:

There's three kinds of backers.

The backer who has pledged a low/minimum amount and is waiting for the release to play the game. These guys are the VAST majority.

The backer who has a ship-collection addiction. These guys buy/melt ships and buy new ones on every ship sale. Considering that accumulating ships is going to be your goal in this game, they're beating the game before they even started playing it.

The backer who buys ships and sells them for profit. I know a few people who have absolutely zero interest in the game and are just making money by reselling ships. I mean some of them make 50-80% profit selling the next day after a ship sale (probably to the people in the previous category).

There's obviously people who are between any of the above categories but I think most of the people are covered in the above.

Just my opinion anyway.

..Cake..

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

MMO's are always at their best before launch (and sometimes for a brief time after). That's when all the hopes and dreams remain firmly in place.

It would be great to see a MMO that under-promises and over-delivers, but you need a confident and certain type of marketing team (or person) to accomplish that.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

heh.

Nah that's registered forum accounts, of which there's a decent number of multi-account backers, lots of non-backers as well as your typical backer. The game is majoritively being funded by wallet warriors simply after the latest and shiniest ships, eg

$1.3 million / $600 = 2167 ships sold on Saturday = 0.3% of registered bought an 890 Jump.

It's surprising how much money is raised off such a small proportion of backers.

The game is a instanced MMO in space

well exactly as instanced as Eve is instanced, and any other allegedly super cool space game you and your friends constantly keep plugging in Star Citizen threads. Eve has instanced space bubbles, you switch instance every time you travel, so does the other cheap procedural game with its peer2peer 30 ship lobby. So yeah enjoy some other instanced MMO in space then.

Anyway I will never give a single dime to any of the upcoming cheaper Star Citizen knock offs, riding on the space sim revival Chris Roberts kicked off.

the amount of aggressive guerilla marketing, SC bashing and bandwagon riding simply turned me off.

SC is the real deal, it will have everything I could possibly want, so I understand it´s natural that product bashing vultures with special interests pop up left and right.

But hey the more people hate on SC the more the true space sim lovers are pledging. So the 0.1% haters are doing their part on the success of SC, and I should thank them for that.

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

The game is a instanced MMO in space

well exactly as instanced as Eve is instanced, and any other allegedly super cool space game you and your friends constantly keep plugging in Star Citizen threads. Eve has instanced space bubbles, you switch instance every time you travel, so does the other cheap procedural game with its peer2peer 30 ship lobby. So yeah enjoy some other instanced MMO in space then.

Anyway I will never give a single dime to any of the upcoming cheaper Star Citizen knock offs, riding on the space sim revival Chris Roberts kicked off.

the amount of aggressive guerilla marketing, SC bashing and bandwagon riding simply turned me off.

SC is the real deal, it will have everything I could possibly want, so I understand it´s natural that product bashing vultures with special interests pop up left and right.

But hey the more people hate on SC the more the true space sim lovers are pledging. So the 0.1% haters are doing their part on the success of SC, and I should thank them for that.

Not to point fingers or anything, but aren't you bashing all those other games? 

It is entirely possible that all of these games can exist together and that none of them deserve any kind of bashing. Some people like games one way, others like it differently. I have a lot of friends that think instanced gaming is much more fun that competing for open world targets. I have friends that hate instanced. I have friends that think Console Style games like DCUO are awesome. Everyone likes different things. You can't get mad at someone for liking things differently.

Personally, I think that SC has the potential to be a great game. I am just worried that it is never going to be done. Every time they reach a new funding goal, they add more to the game to the point that if they don't cut it off soon, they will just keep moving the ends out until it is 2020 and we still don't have a released game.

I have almost bought in a couple times, but I just can't see spending that much money on it at this point. Especially when there are tons of free games that have similar or even better features in the game currently.

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406

I am a strong supporter of crowdfunding and early access, I think its the best thing to come to gaming in a very long time.

I also think Star Citizen is a great idea and even more so with the idea that they plan to push the PC to the limits like game developers used to do.

HOWEVER...I think this is a huge house of cards that is going to fall very painfully.

Why? Because it appears Chris Roberts is a terrible Project Manager, they are way past deadline and way over budget. 50million for all of what he is planning? no way.

Originally posted by WillowFuxxy

I am a strong supporter of crowdfunding and early access, I think its the best thing to come to gaming in a very long time.

I also think Star Citizen is a great idea and even more so with the idea that they plan to push the PC to the limits like game developers used to do.

HOWEVER...I think this is a huge house of cards that is going to fall very painfully.

Why? Because it appears Chris Roberts is a terrible Project Manager, they are way past deadline and way over budget. 50million for all of what he is planning? no way.

they have like 20+ project managers accross 8 studio locations, you think CR is doing all this alone? lol...

Way over budget? They earn money quicker than they could possibly burn through, by the time of release they´ll easily have raised more than 100 million, if the projections are correct

They haven´t missed ANY release deadline, maybe start complaining in November, k? That was the only date ever on Kickstarter for release of an alpha.

Besides it has been pushed to 2015 very early on due to MASSIVE amount of reached stretch goals between 2 million and 6 million, the game tripled in content and features within 2 weeks of the campaign due to more money and incredible funding success, just sayin.

they have like 20+ project managers accross 8 studio locations, you think CR is doing all this alone? lol...

Yes I do. I have personally seen the desires of the product owner change the PM deadlines. So the PMs role is not 'when do we think we can finish it' but rather 'it has to be done by...because the boss said so'. In fact I would say that is more the norm for Project Manager

Way over budget? hahah... they earn money quicker than they could possibly burn through, by the time of release they´ll easily have raised more than 100 million, if the projections are correct

Garbage games like ESO and Destiny cost 200-300 million dollars to make with no where near the amount of features or quality he is suggesting. Now I do agree indies make better games for less but lets be a little realistic here!

They haven´t missed ANY release deadline, maybe start complaining in November, k? That was the only date ever on Kickstarter for release of an alpha.

The first 'real' module was 6 months late wasnt it?

Besides it has been pushed to 2015 very early on due to MASSIVE amount of reached stretch goals between 2 million and 6 million, the game tripled in content due to more money, just sayin.

Try harder!

Way over budget? hahah... they earn money quicker than they could possibly burn through, by the time of release they´ll easily have raised more than 100 million, if the projections are correct

Excuse me? They've missed every single AC content patch date they announced.

In fact they've missed every single deadline they've announced in general.

That's why CR himself said he's not "falling for that anymore" (with a smile on his face) when asked for a certain deadline at Citizens Con.

I agree with him, they shouldn't be giving dates so early in development. It took him quite a few missed deadlines realize this.

Try harder!

heh

..Cake..

Excuse me? They've missed every single AC content patch date they announced.

In fact they've missed every single deadline they've announced in general.

That's why CR himself said he's not "falling for that anymore" (with a smile on his face) when asked for a certain deadline at Citizens Con.

I agree with him, they shouldn't be giving dates so early in development. It took him quite a few missed deadlines realize this.

Try harder!

heh

the deeper (hidden) concern is that every hour they are late that cost money.

So if they estimate that they can get XYZ done for X dollars that estimate is based off of time management.

So this project will either cost a fuck ton more than they are estimating or (more likely) they will have to cut a lot of planned features.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Way over budget? They earn money quicker than they could possibly burn through, by the time of release they´ll easily have raised more than 100 million, if the projections are correct

Besides it has been pushed to 2015 very early on due to MASSIVE amount of reached stretch goals between 2 million and 6 million, the game tripled in content and features within 2 weeks of the campaign due to more money and incredible funding success, just sayin.

Please dude, I get you are a fan, and i was too, but let's not pretend they havent been horrendously late with EVERYTHING they have tried to put out lol

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia

Please dude, I get you are a fan, and i was too, but let's not pretend they havent been horrendously late with EVERYTHING they have tried to put out lol

thanks to some complaining people, CIG won´t share internally floating alpha deployment dates anymore - thanks and well done.

There is nothing to pretend, internal dates are bullshit irrelevant. The only relevant thing is a release date of a product not some alpha patch, and that is sometime 2015 for Squadron 42. We´ll very likely see the first episode of it long before.

So just another hairsplitting fairy tale about CIG missing deadlines - it´s all made up. They missed NOTHING of relevance so far. They first thing they´ll miss is their original Kickstarter date for the 2 million scope game which had an alpha planned for Novemebr 2014, that is NEXT month.

Oh well since the features and content tripled between 2 and 6 million due to acquiring every single original stretch goal, a person with a healty understanding of reality would see that including the stretch goal content takes longer than making a game without stretch goals.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I am one of those that first backed the game when it first started crowd funding. I have only purchased one ship (300i) and only played Arena Commander less then five times. I strongly support the game but I am one that is wanting to be more "surprised and amazed" at the finished product then playing in an "alpha".

So, as to why I only played AC a few times, just to see how my money is being used and to make sure it is shaping up as I expect....it is.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Toxia

thanks to some complaining people, CIG won´t share internally floating alpha deployment dates anymore - thanks and well done.

There is nothing to pretend, internal dates are bullshit irrelevant. The only relevant thing is a release date of a product not some alpha patch, and that is sometime 2015 for Squadron 42. We´ll very likely see the first episode of it long before.

So just another hairsplitting fairy tale about CIG missing deadlines - it´s all made up. They missed NOTHING of relevance so far. They first thing they´ll miss is their original Kickstarter date for the 2 million scope game which had an alpha planned for Novemebr 2014, that is NEXT month.

Oh well since the features and content tripled between 2 and 6 million due to acquiring every single original stretch goal, a person with a healty understanding of reality would see that including the stretch goal content takes longer than making a game without stretch goals.

nearly the entire development cost of a game is related to TIME.

wages...office rent...etc

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    $58mil, that's a lot of space ships...
  • TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46

They're actually pulled from the SC official forums. You should read them sometime if you can get the glitter of cash out of your eyes.

I like how you try to defend against the information then go about disregarding it.

I hope Elite: Dangerous gets more money and actually becomes fun... and not pretty empty copy paste content.... flying into that same space station, going through frame jump rubber banding simulator over and over again.

But wait...... It probably won't because it has investors and a very small community in comparison, such a shame... but I guess inferior projects jsut can't cut it.

I suppose spaceships dogfighting at 1 mile per hour is fun... to some...

Originally posted by TestSubject102

I hope Elite: Dangerous gets more money and actually becomes fun... and not pretty empty copy paste content.... flying into that same space station, going through frame jump rubber banding simulator over and over again.

But wait...... It probably won't because it has investors and a very small community in comparison, such a shame... but I guess inferior projects jsut can't cut it.

[mod edit] You claim you've played the game yet you don't know there's several different space stations out there with numerous variations.[mod edit] 

..Cake..

Originally posted by jcrg99
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

heh.

Nah that's registered forum accounts, of which there's a decent number of multi-account backers, lots of non-backers as well as your typical backer. The game is majoritively being funded by wallet warriors simply after the latest and shiniest ships, eg

$1.3 million / $600 = 2167 ships sold on Saturday = 0.3% of registered bought an 890 Jump.

It's surprising how much money is raised off such a small proportion of backers.

Years of endoctrination by "marketing shows", "speech", etc?

Plus an initial high vested interested that only makes they continue to try to make it a success by themselves...

Plus a need to say to Roberts do not leave after the release, if the matter will end to be a PU just with 3k to 5k whales around, like trying to convince him to later giving up of his tons of profit.

Addiction encounters frustrated people, that are easily manipulated.

They don't even care with whatever Roberts do. They back the man, not the game.

I am pretty sure that despite the thing ending in a massive train wreck, they still will call themselves mature, intelligent, and everyone else just "haters" and will put the guilty in anything else, but the own mistakes of Mr. Roberts.

You have 41 posts and each one is a hate tirade against Star Citizen, we get it, you hate SC you hate CIG.

Time to move on maybe?

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I've seen some of the streamers playing this game. It's very shiny, but I'll be a lot happier when I see the open world systems going into the game. Until it's just pretty.

Best of luck to them though.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by jcrg99
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

heh.

Years of endoctrination by "marketing shows", "speech", etc?

Plus an initial high vested interested that only makes they continue to try to make it a success by themselves...

Plus a need to say to Roberts do not leave after the release, if the matter will end to be a PU just with 3k to 5k whales around, like trying to convince him to later giving up of his tons of profit.

Addiction encounters frustrated people, that are easily manipulated.

They don't even care with whatever Roberts do. They back the man, not the game.

I am pretty sure that despite the thing ending in a massive train wreck, they still will call themselves mature, intelligent, and everyone else just "haters" and will put the guilty in anything else, but the own mistakes of Mr. Roberts.

You have 41 posts and each one is a hate tirade against Star Citizen, we get it, you hate SC you hate CIG.

Time to move on maybe?

Did you read my 41 posts? WoW! That's what I could call a neurose. 

I don't hate Star Citizen. I just state some facts and did not stick myself to marketing biased speech. I also have some experience in the industry and in business to know that CR 's approach means just one thing...

And its not anything that is healthy for the game or for the company.

So, in the end, I love more this game than you, while you, apparently loves the CR pockets more than the future of this game and the company, and will bash anyone who dares to talk against his "pocket wishes". At least I presume by the few posts that I read from yourself. I definitely would not be so obsessed by whatever person in the internet to read all their posts.

And I see more people disagreeing than agreeing with what you say. So, I am not sure that you can speak by all them as you did.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by TestSubject102

E:D is way beyond Star Citizen regarding active players.

Your "community" that is larger according that "website counter", seem to have only phantoms and "new" people who pay money all the time in whatever period of the time, be in the beginning (2012), be in years later, but all them, with almost like a standard behaviour of paying and not playing the game and not giving to it, even a single try, and not even participating of forums or polls.

Curious. Just curious.

I suppose that the SC dogfithing is not so great or fun for the huge majority of their own backers after all, while in E:D is, because they actually play the game.

This discussion has been closed.