Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles Are Not Cheap

2»

Comments

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

I never understood the argument that consoles are cheaper.

Sure, the hardware itself is cheaper, when the console is released. That changes two years later,... but you also need a TV. People claim that everyone has one. Well... i do not. I never watch TV, so i had to buy one for my console.

Hey, if you keep adding OS, Mouse, Keyboard for PC pricing.. you gotta add Tv for console pricing. Not trying to bash anyone here, just dislike comparing apples to oranges. Sure you can already own a TV, but i can already own a mouse and stuff, so doh!

Adding up everything you need for a console to run, you actually hit the same price point of a PC that is WAY faster. I had to learn that the hard way myself. And we did not even talk about the games themselves that are DEFINITLY WAY more expensive for consoles.

Bottom line:

Console gaming is not cheaper by any means. Consoles DO need a new selling point to be a real consideration. For me it has been Kinect for example. I bought a new TV and a XBox 360 for kinect alone. That was a selling point for me because it was something a PC did not offer.

Nowadays i can just plug in the Kinect to my PC, so.... well. The selling point for the xbox just dropped.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by WillowFuxxy
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

BESIDES...mixing in console vs console as a reply to someone who is talking about console(s) vs PC can get a conversation extreemly confusing. Is it unreasonable to ask to when someone has a statement regarding consoles(s) vs PC (as I did) to not respond about fucking netflix?

It matters. Do you think we would even be talking about Console vs PC if Netflix (as one good example of both a cross-compatible app, and a popular media/digital hub app that isn't a game) were not available on consoles?

this is silly you want me to say 'yes I can see how console might be more attractive than a PC because a console can stream netflix'

sorry I am not going to agree with that statement and we are done.

The Netflix streaming just makes consoles on-par with PCs in regards to entertainment content.  The blu-ray player in the PS3 was a big deal for reasons that had nothing to do with playing games.  Doing it in the living room, with an interface that works using a game controller without a lot of futzing around makes it the more attractive option for a lot of people.  But it really depends on the person.

Some people will put the effort into putting a gaming PC in their living room and making it work, or putting up with the less user friendly nature of the gaming PC to make it work.  Some people don't bother with living rooms for their gaming, so for those people the convenience factor is a non-issue.  Some people really don't want to mess around with making things work.  They just want to plug the device in, turn it on, put the game in and play games.  It just depends on the preferences of the people.

All that said, I bet there are more people with a gaming PC and a console than there are people with just a console or just a PC.  They probably have a tablet too.  They certainly have a cell phone or smart phone of some sort.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by lizardbones

BESIDES...mixing in console vs console as a reply to someone who is talking about console(s) vs PC can get a conversation extreemly confusing. Is it unreasonable to ask to when someone has a statement regarding consoles(s) vs PC (as I did) to not respond about fucking netflix?

It matters. Do you think we would even be talking about Console vs PC if Netflix (as one good example of both a cross-compatible app, and a popular media/digital hub app that isn't a game) were not available on consoles?

this is silly you want me to say 'yes I can see how console might be more attractive than a PC because a console can stream netflix'

sorry I am not going to agree with that statement and we are done.

The Netflix streaming just makes consoles on-par with PCs in regards to entertainment content.  The blu-ray player in the PS3 was a big deal for reasons that had nothing to do with playing games.  Doing it in the living room, with an interface that works using a game controller without a lot of futzing around makes it the more attractive option for a lot of people.  But it really depends on the person.

Some people will put the effort into putting a gaming PC in their living room and making it work, or putting up with the less user friendly nature of the gaming PC to make it work.  Some people don't bother with living rooms for their gaming, so for those people the convenience factor is a non-issue.  Some people really don't want to mess around with making things work.  They just want to plug the device in, turn it on, put the game in and play games.  It just depends on the preferences of the people.

All that said, I bet there are more people with a gaming PC and a console than there are people with just a console or just a PC.  They probably have a tablet too.  They certainly have a cell phone or smart phone of some sort.

here is literally the position he was taking. Everyone please read this part very closely

' consoles might be more attractive than a PC because a console can stream netflix'

my response was well PCs can stream to so the point is mute.

Am I mistaken in my logic?

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I don't own a console and doubt I will buy one... got that out of the way.

Plus, I don't think the OP can say games like CoD are short lived. I'm a Battlefield player, I have close to 700hrs in BF3 multi-player and close to 600hrs of BF4, how is that short lived? The only MMO that I played with close to those number of hours would be WoW, the others I have played I'm probably around 300hrs at the most. It's all about enjoyment, you play what you enjoy.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

I never understood the argument that consoles are cheaper.

Sure, the hardware itself is cheaper, when the console is released. That changes two years later,... but you also need a TV. People claim that everyone has one. Well... i do not. I never watch TV, so i had to buy one for my console.

Hey, if you keep adding OS, Mouse, Keyboard for PC pricing.. you gotta add Tv for console pricing. Not trying to bash anyone here, just dislike comparing apples to oranges. Sure you can already own a TV, but i can already own a mouse and stuff, so doh!

Adding up everything you need for a console to run, you actually hit the same price point of a PC that is WAY faster. I had to learn that the hard way myself. And we did not even talk about the games themselves that are DEFINITLY WAY more expensive for consoles.

Bottom line:

Console gaming is not cheaper by any means. Consoles DO need a new selling point to be a real consideration. For me it has been Kinect for example. I bought a new TV and a XBox 360 for kinect alone. That was a selling point for me because it was something a PC did not offer.

Nowadays i can just plug in the Kinect to my PC, so.... well. The selling point for the xbox just dropped.

Do you not have TV and cable because you're PC rig is so expensive that you couldn't afford it? 

FYI, that wasn't meant to be serious. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    PC > $$ > Console....game over...you've saved the princess

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

here is literally the position he was taking. Everyone please read this part very closely ' consoles might be more attractive than a PC because a console can stream netflix' my response was well PCs can stream to so the point is mute. Am I mistaken in my logic?

Yes, your mistaken. You literally need to read the posts again.

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406

It really wasn't until the last generation of consoles this was even a consideration (PS3/360).

Before then - console games were console games, PC games were PC games, and very very rarely did they intersect. Consoles had extremely limited (if any) online capabilities, and almost no capability to do anything outside of gaming. Most consoles wouldn't do anything without a game disc or cartridge. PCs had limited gaming capability (at least up until the rise of the 3D graphics accelerator in the mid 1990s).

If you wanted to play Zelda, you got a Nintendo. If you wanted to play Crazy Taxi, you got a Dreamcast. If you wanted to play Halo, you got an XBox. If you wanted to play Leisuresuit Larry, you got a PC.

Then with the 360/PS3, things turned around a bit. We saw a lot of cross-platform titles, much more so than before. Consoles can talk online, they have local storage, they can play games without needing a disc or cartridge, they have digital marketplaces, they are media consoles and TV viewers and stream photographs. They can accept a number of general use peripherals with USB and Bluetooth.

And that's when it become a bigger question than "What game do you want to play?" Then the concept of value came into play - if you can play reasonably Madden on any of them - which one is the better value? Maybe value to you means the least expensive - maybe it means the best graphics option, maybe it means fees and services on top of the purchase price (Damn you XBL subscription costs), maybe it means all the services you can perform with the console apart from play games (PS3 BluRay was a big driver, up until Netflix/Hulu/Prime streaming at least).

I can understand that perspective when ONLY talking about console vs console however the topic of the thread if you read the entire OPs opening seems to suggest strongly to me that he is discussing the differences between console(s) and PCs not consoles with consoles.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

yes I thought I would never go back to console but I go where my favourite games go ill buy a ps4 for bloodborne.

I am not going to wait for a pc release,most people play hundreds of hours in the souls games so its the same as buying 10 games and there are no comparison between these games and others out there so ill rather spend my time playing the best games in the world than playing 10 disappointing games.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Raquis

yes I thought I would never go back to console but I go where my favourite games go ill buy a ps4 for bloodborne.

I am not going to wait for a pc release,most people play hundreds of hours in the souls games so its the same as buying 10 games and there are no comparison between these games and others out there so ill rather spend my time playing the best games in the world than playing 10 disappointing games.

I almost don't even want to say this but I will probably get a PS4 for Christmas from the wife, and it will be so I can play the next Silent Hill game.  I have no idea what else I'm going to do with it, but because I have it, I'll play more games on it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I will probably get a PS4 for FFXV. I really thought about it for Destiny, but I'm glad I held off (if it had been anything other than a shooter I probably would have). I will probably end up getting a 3DS for Bravely Default this year.

I never got into Halo or Forza or Fable though, so unless kid decides he really wants Kinect for Christmas, probably stay away from XBone. And we already have a WiiU, which gets played a lot... so that pretty much covers the bases.

I agree, it's all about the games. If there's a game I want, I'll get the console.

If the games (or apps, like Netflix) are available on everything, then I won't buy anything new for the sake of having new hardware when I already have something that runs it. FOr me, it really doesn't have anything to do with price or features or anything else, unless -- unless I'm starting out with nothing and have to choose between what's available - then if Madden, or Netflix, or whatever it is I happen to want to play/do happens to work on everything available, then the other features and price become the distinction and the driver... I haven't been in that position ever I don't think though.