Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm starting to join the trend..

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

So, I've been playing MMOs for a good bit now, nowhere close to some people, but I've also had a lot of free time, so when I play something, I play it, probably too much lol.

But, looking through my emails, and installed games I've noticed that a large majority of them are indie games, the games that I'm most hyped for are indie games, I don't even think I could name a single triple A title that's releasing.

I'm actually kind of glad that so many people in MMOs are supporting indie developers, with all of the kickstarter campaigns and crowdfunding going on. Sure some are scams, some will more than likely never release, but most have really come far because of it.

Anyways, I don't really have a point to this thread, I just didn't realize how many indie games that I've subscribed to/have installed, almost every game that I'm looking forward to in the next little while are indie games, sooo yeah.

Bye. :)

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• PixelPersonaPixelPersona Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Could you elaborate a little more as to which Indie games you are looking forward to? I have got to the point I have started re modding Oblivion and Skyrim.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

That's because the industry is so stunned by the general reception of ESO and WS.

They were both supposed to be "it" - the new bombshells, the new generation of MMOs.

With their mediocrity in mind, all big companies have frozen. Blizzard even canned their next MMO. If they couldn't make it work with their talented development teams, their concepts, their money and their IPs.. the question gets raised: who can at this point?

I don't see small budget indie studios delivering personally - regardless of your ideas and/or how good you are, you can't make a solid MMO that will endure in the community on a low budget and limited resources. (Staff). One look at Shroud of the Avatar and Camelot Unchained show that almost immediately.

To me it would be like the lead designer of Ferrari heading off to a new company saying he wants to design "the next sports car" with $5million dollars and a team of 20.. yeah, not happening.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by SuperNick

That's because the industry is so stunned by the general reception of ESO and WS.

They were both supposed to be "it" - the new bombshells, the new generation of MMOs.

With their mediocrity in mind, all big companies have frozen. Blizzard even canned their next MMO. If they couldn't make it work with their talented development teams, their concepts, their money and their IPs.. the question gets raised: who can at this point?

I don't see small budget indie studios delivering personally - regardless of your ideas and/or how good you are, you can't make a solid MMO that will endure in the community on a low budget and limited resources. (Staff). One look at Shroud of the Avatar and Camelot Unchained show that almost immediately.

To me it would be like the lead designer of Ferrari heading off to a new company saying he wants to design "the next sports car" with $5million dollars and a team of 20.. yeah, not happening.

Could not have said it better my self. image

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun, FTL, Endless Legend, Starbound.

Thank you Kickstarter and Indie devs everywhere.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well, you better get used to indie devs as I see no big budget MMO's planned other than EQN.  I do agree that it takes indie devs a longer time to implement features and add content.  But this is the new reality for MMO's.  We will need to be even more patient than we have.  The good things are that these smaller teams will be allowed to take risks and not try to appeal to red bull fueled 16 year olds and grandmas with the same game.  Linear quest hub themeparks have been done to death.  And luckily it looks like we may be allowed a small bit of freedom.   

We may need to rely on Eastern devs to throw a bunch of money into developing an MMO.  Archeage has a ton of good features and is very complex.  It has brought back hope for Eastern devs taking risks and appealing to some western people.

What will happen with these indie MMO's has been seen with DFUW.  It will typically "release" in a beta state in order to get funding.  Although this paid alpha crap wasn't around then so maybe that will be the norm.  Either way, the game will require a lot of content and people are going to have to be patient.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I have 0 faith in indie kickstarer mmorpgs.

What i can get behind is companies that self finance showing they have a stake in the product they are trying to produce.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Originally posted by Nitth

What i can get behind is companies that self finance showing they have a stake in the product they are trying to produce.

I guess I can see both sides, but I'm at a point now where I'd rather give $5-10 to a few indie companies instead of $70-80 to ESO, to Wildstar, SWTOR, Destiny, Tera, ect.

At this point I'd more than likely find more entertainment in smaller indie games that are priced reasonably than overpaying for triple A games that are DOA.

Even F2P games are better than most triple A games that have released in the past little bit, you can pay $60 or whatever it is for Diablo 3 + the xpac. Or you can play PoE which is completely F2P and a better game overall.

Originally posted by PixelPersona
    Could you elaborate a little more as to which Indie games you are looking forward to? I have got to the point I have started re modding Oblivion and Skyrim.

Sure, some games that I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out would be Albion Online, Bless, Skyforge (okay that one's maybe not indie lol), Project Gorgon, Shards Online, The Hammers End, Immune, Pathfinder Online, The Repopulation, Shrouds of the Avatar and of course, I was a CoH player, so City of Titans and Valiance Online. Those are some of them.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Smart. Pathfinder Online, Shroud of the Avatar, The Repopulation, Project Gorgon, Star/Citizen/Elite, Torment/Eternity, The Mandate. This is where the really exciting and innovative gameplay seems to be coming from as long as you aren't too hung up on graphics or polish.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey

I guess I can see both sides, but I'm at a point now where I'd rather give $5-10 to a few indie companies instead of $70-80 to ESO, to Wildstar, SWTOR, Destiny, Tera, ect.

At this point I'd more than likely find more entertainment in smaller indie games that are priced reasonably than overpaying for triple A games that are DOA.

Even F2P games are better than most triple A games that have released in the past little bit, you can pay $60 or whatever it is for Diablo 3 + the xpac. Or you can play PoE which is completely F2P and a better game overall.

And yet Diablo 3 pretty much blows it out of the water when it comes to success. I remember seeing their article last month about how GGG were celebrating their 10 millionth registered user after several years of existence.

In the meanwhile Diablo 3 sold 6 million copies in week one, and countless more since then. (Not even factoring in the RoS expansion)

PoE does some things right, but it also targets a more hardcore crowd, it's not as good looking as Diablo 3 and often suffers from horrible performance (the well known "synch" issues).

Indies are the new hype. It's all about being cool with some people and sticking it to the big corporations. And when it comes to single player (or limited MP like PoE) they manage to do well.

However when it comes to MMO's I'm pretty convinced they're going to be choking the life out of each other by virtue of too many popping up. We're already seeing this in the recent number of failed Kickstarters (Pantheon, Gorgon, and I'm fairly sure there were others I can't recall atm).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

So, I've been playing MMOs for a good bit now, nowhere close to some people, but I've also had a lot of free time, so when I play something, I play it, probably too much lol.

But, looking through my emails, and installed games I've noticed that a large majority of them are indie games, the games that I'm most hyped for are indie games, I don't even think I could name a single triple A title that's releasing.

I'm actually kind of glad that so many people in MMOs are supporting indie developers, with all of the kickstarter campaigns and crowdfunding going on. Sure some are scams, some will more than likely never release, but most have really come far because of it.

Anyways, I don't really have a point to this thread, I just didn't realize how many indie games that I've subscribed to/have installed, almost every game that I'm looking forward to in the next little while are indie games, sooo yeah.

Bye. :)

Me also. Indie games,gog's is my new favorite compamy. emulators of old game. The only newer games i have now are Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Indie games have advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side the devs can do whatever they like instead of whatever EA and Activision believe at the moment will become the next big thing.

On the bad side do indiegames generally have bad budgets and often inexperienced programmers which means that they often looks dated at launch and can be buggy on a Anarchy online level.

Personally I don't focus at all on if a game is indie or not, I want a good game that doesn't feel like I already played it for years 2 days after release and whoever made it doesn't matter (even if anything that forces me to use Origin gets points off for that).

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

And yet Diablo 3 pretty much blows it out of the water when it comes to success. I remember seeing their article last month about how GGG were celebrating their 10 millionth registered user after several years of existence.

In the meanwhile Diablo 3 sold 6 million copies in week one, and countless more since then. (Not even factoring in the RoS expansion)

PoE does some things right, but it also targets a more hardcore crowd, it's not as good looking as Diablo 3 and often suffers from horrible performance (the well known "synch" issues).

Indies are the new hype. It's all about being cool with some people and sticking it to the big corporations. And when it comes to single player (or limited MP like PoE) they manage to do well.

However when it comes to MMO's I'm pretty convinced they're going to be choking the life out of each other by virtue of too many popping up. We're already seeing this in the recent number of failed Kickstarters (Pantheon, Gorgon, and I'm fairly sure there were others I can't recall atm).

Oh, it's for sure a fad, but so is everything in gaming, I think it's almost impossible to make a copy of a game, even if it's done better, and sell as much as them without any advertising, 0 funds, being a brand new IP, a new company, ect.

It's also up to regular gamers to make that decision, still most people want to play casual things with a few buttons and not much complexity like D3, hopefully that'll change eventually, but who knows.. /shrug

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    My problem with indie games is their fun and very unique but they never seem to hook me for longer than a week, I dont know what it is but they are amazing for a few days and then all of a sudden they just become MEH. From starbound to the forest,Paper Please and prison architect all of them very short lifespans for me. For 15 bucks though, which most of them cost, Its still worth the entertainment. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

Indie MMOs are a gamble to be sure, mostly because they need all of their support up front.  Whereas indie single player games are sold (usually) in some playable condition, then expanded upon. Or even modded.

The only AAA single player game I'm looking forward to is the next BioWare title Dragon Age Inquisition. The only AAA MMO I'm even watching at this point is EQN.

Kerbel Space Program, Don't Starve, Cities XL (rather than the fail that was SimCity), and of course Minecraft.  At $15, I'd much rather try an indie title, than pay $60 to try a AAA title...especially when the indie games, for me, have actually been more fun! You can try 4 indie games for the price of one AAA. And if you hate the AAA title, as I did with SimCity, you're fucked.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    AAA definitely isn't what it used to be, more like CCC, as in cash shop, copied, crap.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Personally I'm excited more for Galactic Civilizations 3 than any upcomming MMORPG.

Hell if a really good Privateer clone came out you wouldn't see me for 6 months ^^

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by cure01

I know its older but have you tried Freelancer?   Directed to grndzro

Oddly, I do have this on my PC. It hasn't held up very well over time to be honest. Nostalgia is a bitch.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That's part of the problem right there, I expect no game to be such, it makes it a lot easier to grasp what a company is actually trying to deliver.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Maybe I'll feel this way if I find an indie game that's worth a shit.  The Repopulation has some promise.  But aside from that, every other indie game I've seen, or played, has been a hot mess.  

And don't get me started on Kickstarter and crowdfunding.  As they say, a fool and his money...