Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dare you, show me a better MMO PvE fight than this

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mc-ueh4xh4&list=UUe2FTU0537rZQ2X9GZneuWA

Say what you will about TERA but the BAM fights are pure awesome.

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Yamota

Wow.  Makes me want to play again.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I think that Tera does have some of the best, if not the best, combat in an MMO and that is a great example. A good mix of mobile spell casting with some static hard casts as risk vs reward.

Unfortunately I think the farthest I got in Tera was high 20s low 30s IIRC.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    One thing I will say is that the game still looks great.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Yeah the questing is incredibly bland and there is almost no class customization. But the combat, specially againts those big ass monsters, are so damn good. I played ESO before returning to TERA and it puts ESO in shame when it comes to PvE combat.
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Just thought i'd mention that your TS server and password are in chat on one of the videos there...
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

*spacebar to chain this skill* *spacebar to chain that skill* *spacebar to chain that skill*....

That fake combo system always got on my nerves. BAMs have good combat animations, some are smarter than others, but that fight was not blood pumping for me. The day an ¨action¨ mmorpg implements boss fights along the lines of Dragon´s Dogma, i will never look back (yes, it is possible to do that in an mmo)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    its probably a matter of personal preference, personally i thought the ones in FFXIV;ARR looked better, but what people think is 'best' is usually from an individual perspective, it did look good though, even if it was all a solo thing, which kind of took away any real sense of the fight being all that 'challenging' or 'dramatic' although from the perspective of a player rather than the viewer, perhaps this is not the case? image
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Those BAMs used to require a group before they were nerfed. They've been nerfed hard. ;(
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

*spacebar to chain this skill* *spacebar to chain that skill* *spacebar to chain that skill*....

That fake combo system always got on my nerves. BAMs have good combat animations, some are smarter than others, but that fight was not blood pumping for me. The day an ¨action¨ mmorpg implements boss fights along the lines of Dragon´s Dogma, i will never look back (yes, it is possible to do that in an mmo)

It's not a boss, it's an open world "Elite" mob basically, just a really big one that has been nerfed to be soloable. If you want to see boss fights go search some hardmode dungeon videos.

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Yeah the questing is incredibly bland and there is almost no class customization. But the combat, specially againts those big ass monsters, are so damn good. I played ESO before returning to TERA and it puts ESO in shame when it comes to PvE combat.
    all i see in that video is attack/heal/spacebar with unlimited mana..now go do the same in Eso with elite mobs at skull areas without watching your mana/stamina/block/dodge & in the 1/3 of the fight you will be pretty much dead meat..bigger monsters doesn't make the combat better imo..

for me eso combat is better because of the management of resources such as mana, stamina,ultimate, block ,dodge,active buffs & light/heavy attacks..but that's me..

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Agreed.  TERA has the most interesting mobs in the genre, and the BAM feature is absolutely magnificent.  I wish more MMOs would do something like that.  

My one gripe about the BAMS is that they re-skinned too many of them as you increase in level and go to new zones, rather than coming up with new ones.  Just too much redundancy.  

Originally posted by AsalzSy
    all i see in that video is attack/heal/spacebar with unlimited mana..now go do the same in Eso with elite mobs at skull areas without watching your mana/stamina/block/dodge & in the 1/3 of the fight you will be pretty much dead meat..bigger monsters doesn't make the combat better imo..

for me eso combat is better because of the management of resources such as mana, stamina,ultimate, block ,dodge,active buffs & light/heavy attacks..but that's me..

I like ESO, and I thought the combat was decent, but ESO combat doesn't hold a candle to TERA.  It's not even close.  

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Varex12

I like ESO, and I thought the combat was decent, but ESO combat doesn't hold a candle to TERA.  It's not even close.  

faster maybe yes but better i just don't see it & i bet if the op close the eyes & put random skills in the same video he will take down the mob again without even trying..

faster maybe yes but better i just don't see it & i bet if the op close the eyes & put random skills in the same video he will take down the mob again without even trying..

Not sure you know how BAMS operate.  I can promise you that closing your eyes, or using random skills, will have you dead within 10 seconds.   Guaranteed.   

Those BAMS are more difficult than any non-boss mob in ESO.   And the beauty of the combat system is that they are still capable of being soloed IF you are very good at your class and you can maintain focus for anywhere from 3-10 minutes.  A single mistake gets you killed.  But a player well-versed in their own class mechanics and the tendencies of the BAM can solo it.  In other words, skill trumps RNG.

If that's not the definition of a great combat design, I don't know what is.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Not sure you know how BAMS operate.  I can promise you that closing your eyes, or using random skills, will have you dead within 10 seconds.   Guaranteed.   

Those BAMS are more difficult than any non-boss mob in ESO.   And the beauty of the combat system is that they are still capable of being soloed IF you are very good at your class and you can maintain focus for anywhere from 3-10 minutes.  A single mistake gets you killed.  But a player well-versed in their own class mechanics and the tendencies of the BAM can solo it.  In other words, skill trumps RNG.

Your definition is only for great fast combat. See...that's why you cannot compare them. ESO is not supposed to be fast combat. just solid combat.

Not better or worse mind you...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The problem with TERA combat is that it takes mobs about 20 hits to kill you, while it takes you about 2 hits to kill mobs.  So they put a bunch of dodge mechanics and so forth in so that you can be good at the game and dodge attacks, but then made it so that it doesn't matter if you do, because you'll win anyway unless you're trying to solo group content or some such.  Or at least that's the case up to about level 30; I didn't play beyond that before I gave up on the game.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Also, if you want better combat, try tier 3 danger rooms in Spiral Knights.  Actually, just about any combat in tier 3 in Spiral Knights, except for the end boss, which is a completely stupid fight where the primary determinant of success is your monitor resolution.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Don't mean to.be rude, but he guy simply took hit after hit and simply shielded and self healed. No.tactics whatsoever in that fight.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I don't see the appeal.  It's just a BAM with a large health pool.  Rinse and repeat your rotation until it dies.  
    Originally posted by DMKano

To me doing the same stuff for several minutes to just kill one BAM was challenging when I was learning the rotation - once you learn the BAM's moves  - it's easy to know what to do (when to dodge, block attack etc....), and then it's just routine execution.

My issue remains on how long it takes to kill them - it's far too slow for my tastes.

If they reduced the TTK to 45seconds to 90seconds tops - it would be a lot more enjoyable *for me*, again I only speak for myself.

Well, of course it's going to take a long time to kill the mobs.  They are more than just elite---they are all mini-bosses.  And they give you a crap ton of XP.  But you'll need to focus in for a few minutes to kill them.  That's the tradeoff.  Some like it, some don't, I guess.  I thought it was a great feature to the game, and I wish more games had something like this in place.  

The repetition of farming BAMs can get tedious, but remember, we are talking about an Asian-style MMO here.  Kind of goes with the territory.  The true beauty of the system is learning the BAM's tendencies and then getting the fight timed just right.  Among the most fun and satisfying experiences I've had in MMOS is the times I mastered a BAM in TERA.  

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

IMO , the BAMs just too weak and only have big ass .

When you overpower them by gears and level , they just another weak monsters .

But i have to say that the combat of TERA is good , though i don't like how they lock target and fireball home run chase .

If they force player to play in first person view when start combat (or draw weapon) then the PVE experience will be better .

Of course it just my opinion .

Sadly , aside from good combat , other stuff wasn't much interest .

With that kind of combat , it will better if they build for monster hunting instead of quest hubs

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

if only this game wasnt so grindy up front.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Haha, I loved the bosses when playing Tera, I quit though because I had leveled a priest up to like 45-50 and then my friend quit and my damage was horrible and I couldn't solo. Soo yeah. I'm a noob.

Fun game though, and they have really good support.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84
    TERA's combat still feels very slow and clunky compared to Dragon Nest or Vindictus, imho.

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by richarddoyle
    TERA's combat still feels very slow and clunky compared to Dragon Nest or Vindictus, imho.

How is Vindictus these days? I tried it once a long time ago and although it was fun, the player hosted connection thing was terrible. The lag in groups ranged from a mild 2 or 3 second lag to severe rubber banding, stutters, and complete freezes at times.