Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3.2 Million Players per ~Day~

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

So, yeah.  Looks like they are racking up the players right now.

http://www.engadget.com/page/2/

Better Link:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/12/destiny-average-player-count/

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119

And? It's a MMO in it's honeymoon period and, more importantly, on a system (the consoles) which rarely have them. Almost all MMOs have players in the Millions immediately after the launch period even on PCs.

From what i have heard and seen of the game, if they would have released the shitfest on PC only, people would have been bored in the first week and it would be planning it's F2P transition now.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's only console right now, right?

Edit: Just looked.  It is. I only play Computer games so if it ever ventures to the PC I'll look out for it.

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by grimal

It's only console right now, right?

Edit: Just looked.  It is. I only play Computer games so if it ever ventures to the PC I'll look out for it.

They have said of a possibility of being released on the PC. However, you should see the Angry Joe review to get a good idea of the game. I am not a fan of him but that review was very spot on and detailed.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Destiny is not an MMO and it is a new super hyped up FPS by the guys who market CoD / manage to sell that shit show every year. So take it with a grain of salt. That game was sold by pure hype. Once the "SUP BRO WANNA PLAY MADDEN?" Fratboy crowd stop playing I am sure those numbers won't be so high.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

You can find the actual Bungie post here:

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---10102014/en/News/News?aid=12272

There is something a bit odd about the numbers:

•Destiny averages 3.2 million players each and every day!
    •Average playtime is still right around 3 hours a day, even on weekdays, one month after launch.
    •The average player plays Destiny 1.8 times a day.
    •The average player has played Destiny 20.9 times.

The Average Player has only played the game for 11 days. This seems a bit odd, 30 days after the launch.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Superman0X

•Average playtime is still right around 3 hours a day, even on weekdays, one month after launch.

The Average Player has only played the game for 11 days. This seems a bit odd, 30 days after the launch.

The "Average Player" is a composite of those players who played 30 days, and those players who played 1 day during the first thirty days.  Or, it's a composite of those people who played the game for 720 hours (totaling 30 days) and those people who played the game for 1 hour (totaling 0 days).

Also, are there comparable statistics for other online games?  How do we know it's odd if we don't have other games to compare it to?  Maybe this is average.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Destiny is not an MMO and it is a new super hyped up FPS by the guys who market CoD / manage to sell that shit show every year. So take it with a grain of salt. That game was sold by pure hype. Once the "SUP BRO WANNA PLAY MADDEN?" Fratboy crowd stop playing I am sure those numbers won't be so high.

That's funny, I just saw a Taco Bell commercial for the game yesterday.

Originally posted by lizardbones

The "Average Player" is a composite of those players who played 30 days, and those players who played 1 day during the first thirty days.  Or, it's a composite of those people who played the game for 720 hours (totaling 30 days) and those people who played the game for 1 hour (totaling 0 days).

Also, are there comparable statistics for other online games?  How do we know it's odd if we don't have other games to compare it to?  Maybe this is average.

I dont have any specific statistics, but if you do simple math, you can see what I mean.

If there were two players, and one played every day (for 30 days) and one played a single day. The average would be 15.5.  I would hope/expect that on the launch of a hot new title (such as this) that the first 30 days would have more frequent days played. However, at an average of 11 days, it shows that players are already (in the hottest time to play that the game will ever have) playing on less days, than they are not playing.

This is why I am saying that something looks off in these numbers. (i.e. I dont have to do the math to know that pigs flying is not something expected).

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

I dont have any specific statistics, but if you do simple math, you can see what I mean.

If there were two players, and one played every day (for 30 days) and one played a single day. The average would be 15.5.  I would hope/expect that on the launch of a hot new title (such as this) that the first 30 days would have more frequent days played. However, at an average of 11 days, it shows that players are already (in the hottest time to play that the game will ever have) playing on less days, than they are not playing.

This is why I am saying that something looks off in these numbers. (i.e. I dont have to do the math to know that pigs flying is not something expected).

Yeah because lord forbid I have never heard of a gamer playing more than one game...thats silly...

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by nbtscan

That's funny, I just saw a Taco Bell commercial for the game yesterday.

Yep. My point exactly.

Originally posted by orionblack

Yeah because lord forbid I have never heard of a gamer playing more than one game...thats silly...

They could be playing 20 games. The number isnt really important (or relevant). What is relevant is how many days in the last 30 they spend playing the hot new game that they just bought... which the numbers indicate is not that much (and will only decline).

They could be playing 20 games. The number isnt really important (or relevant). What is relevant is how many days in the last 30 they spend playing the hot new game that they just bought... which the numbers indicate is not that much (and will only decline).

The numbers are important, but relative to what?  Your opinion?  Your own gaming habits?  There are tens of millions of people playing video games.  In order to have any idea if the stats presented are above, below or on par with the average, we need those same or similar stats for other games.  The only thing we have for sure is Bungie saying that Destiny is outperforming Halo during the same time frame, but even there we don't know what kind of game play stats Halo had.

The numbers are important, but relative to what?  Your opinion?  Your own gaming habits?  There are tens of millions of people playing video games.  In order to have any idea if the stats presented are above, below or on par with the average, we need those same or similar stats for other games.  The only thing we have for sure is Bungie saying that Destiny is outperforming Halo during the same time frame, but even there we don't know what kind of game play stats Halo had.

We do know that Destiny is outperforming Halo in sales. However, the information provided is not sales figures. I do agree that I am not comparing their stats vs some industry standards or such... but I believe that it is clear that the numbers are clear enough that even a layman, without reference to the standard would suspect that something is wrong.

Are we really proposing that the 'Average' gamer would choose not to play the hot new game they just bought... just after having purchased such a product. If so, then any rush to purchase such a product is self defeating, as it is just going to sit on the shelf after purchase anyways. I, personally, dont have any experience with this gamer, and dont see any anecdotal evidence of this anywhere.

All of this leads me to the conclusion that something is unusual with the numbers. It could be a statistical anomaly, a quirk of how the data was obtained, or even just an error somewhere. I am not making any claims other than the fact that the numbers look odd, and that there might be some sort of issue.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Can you give me some stats? Let's say that we believe VGChartz.com which says that the game sold around 6.5 million copies. Not really all that impressive compared to GTAV which sold like 30 million copies over a year (which VGChartz seems to have pretty close to what's mentioned in media). 6.5 million ain't great. Numbers may or may not grow, it's tough to say. What's interesting, though, is that amid all of the apparent disappointment surrounding the game, despite the people who have apparently given up on this game, nearly half of their original user base logged in every day. So either they sold way more than 6.5 million copies (don't think WAY more), people who are hating on it are liars (maybe not liars, but louder than most), or the people remaining IN the game are hopelessly in love it with, for some reason or another.Think about it, even if every single person that bought the game logged in every other day, that's pretty substantial. Never mind the average playtimes that they're talking about. 

These types of things point to the one and only factor that anyone at Bungie even cares about. Are people playing the game? The answer is yes. Love it or hate it, people are playing the game. For me, having to think about whether or not I maybe, might, try to work it into my game rotation once WoW is out is enough for me to say that the game is, at very least, fun to play. Whether the story was done right, or executed to perfection is secondary to that, at this point, since I know I've got expansions on the way. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Can you give me some stats? Let's say that we believe VGChartz.com which says that the game sold around 6.5 million copies. Not really all that impressive compared to GTAV which sold like 30 million copies over a year (which VGChartz seems to have pretty close to what's mentioned in media). 6.5 million ain't great. Numbers may or may not grow, it's tough to say. What's interesting, though, is that amid all of the apparent disappointment surrounding the game, despite the people who have apparently given up on this game, nearly half of their original user base logged in every day. So either they sold way more than 6.5 million copies (don't think WAY more), people who are hating on it are liars (maybe not liars, but louder than most), or the people remaining IN the game are hopelessly in love it with, for some reason or another.Think about it, even if every single person that bought the game logged in every other day, that's pretty substantial. Never mind the average playtimes that they're talking about. 

These types of things point to the one and only factor that anyone at Bungie even cares about. Are people playing the game? The answer is yes. Love it or hate it, people are playing the game. For me, having to think about whether or not I maybe, might, try to work it into my game rotation once WoW is out is enough for me to say that the game is, at very least, fun to play. Whether the story was done right, or executed to perfection is secondary to that, at this point, since I know I've got expansions on the way. 

I think I agree with what you're saying.  To add a stat, sales exceeded $325M in the first five days.  It doesn't seem out of line to think they are going to make a mint off of this game.  So is the game successful?  Seems likely.  Is the game going to outsell the best selling game that's ever existed?  Probably not, but they didn't expect it to.  They didn't expect it to outperform Halo either, and it is.  So they aren't doing that bad.  Good even.

We do know that Destiny is outperforming Halo in sales. However, the information provided is not sales figures. I do agree that I am not comparing their stats vs some industry standards or such... but I believe that it is clear that the numbers are clear enough that even a layman, without reference to the standard would suspect that something is wrong.

Are we really proposing that the 'Average' gamer would choose not to play the hot new game they just bought... just after having purchased such a product. If so, then any rush to purchase such a product is self defeating, as it is just going to sit on the shelf after purchase anyways. I, personally, dont have any experience with this gamer, and dont see any anecdotal evidence of this anywhere.

All of this leads me to the conclusion that something is unusual with the numbers. It could be a statistical anomaly, a quirk of how the data was obtained, or even just an error somewhere. I am not making any claims other than the fact that the numbers look odd, and that there might be some sort of issue.

You have nothing to base your conclusions on.  It's the equivalent of asking people if 10 is a big number.  Relative to 1 it's pretty big.  Relative to 100, it's not.  Without knowing what we're comparing it to, the idea of "big" or "small" makes no sense.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

This might come as a shock to you, so I hope you're seated.  Not everybody plays video games every day.  And of those that play everyday, not all of those play only one game for 30 days straight.  Even if that game is the hot new special sauce game to end all games.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by Kaladin

This might come as a shock to you, so I hope you're seated.  Not everybody plays video games every day.  And of those that play everyday, not all of those play only one game for 30 days straight.  Even if that game is the hot new special sauce game to end all games.

If they actually played 50% of the first thirty days after purchase, the numbers would be VASTLY different. The numbers indicate that despite there being people who are playing frequently (there is lots of evidence of this) the average is only 11 days out of thirty.

P.S. There is no measure of exclusivity here. You can play as many other games as possible. However, each day you play THIS GAME counts, regardless of any other game played.

If they actually played 50% of the first thirty days after purchase, the numbers would be VASTLY different. The numbers indicate that despite there being people who are playing frequently (there is lots of evidence of this) the average is only 11 days out of thirty.

P.S. There is no measure of exclusivity here. You can play as many other games as possible. However, each day you play THIS GAME counts, regardless of any other game played.

To me 11 days out of 30 average sounds insanely high.  I typically play games on a daily basis, maybe a handful of hours each, but I'm under no delusion that I am a normal gamer, I know that I play WAY more than most.

Hurt - Wars

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

^ This.

Also the people who bought the new consoles are starving for games and thus will buy anything that get released at this point.

To me 11 days out of 30 average sounds insanely high.  I typically play games on a daily basis, maybe a handful of hours each, but I'm under no delusion that I am a normal gamer, I know that I play WAY more than most.

Fair enough. Let me put it another way.

Imagine a gamer goes to the store, and purchases Destiny because it is a high anticipated title, and they are eager to get it (remember they had huge initial sales). They then put the box on the shelf, and dont touch it for a week or two. After this the take it out and start playing it...

Does this sound like the 'average' gamer? or even the average consumer? Do you really need comparable statistics to think 'hmm, this sounds a bit odd'?

Imagine a gamer goes to the store, and purchases Destiny because it is a high anticipated title, and they are eager to get it (remember they had huge initial sales). They then put the box on the shelf, and dont touch it for a week or two. After this the take it out and start playing it...

Does this sound like the 'average' gamer? or even the average consumer? Do you really need comparable statistics to think 'hmm, this sounds a bit odd'?

Yes.

Especially when the retort is "imagine this".

Yes.

Ok. So you are saying you need some proof to think that players would purchase a highly anticipated game with great sales,  and then actually play it. I dont actually have proof of this, but then again I havent ever had anyone think that it was normal.

You just seem completely out of touch with the way a majority of people play video games.

Hurt - Wars

Yes.

Ok. So you are saying you need some proof to think that players would purchase a highly anticipated game with great sales,  and then actually play it. I dont actually have proof of this, but then again I havent ever had anyone think that it was normal.

Ok, try this.  Why does this look odd to you?  What information in your head are you referencing to determine that this number is low (or high)?