Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: You Got Your RPG in my Sports Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This may or may not matter to some of you, as I do not know who here plays games like NHL, NBA2K or Madden outside of their MMO and RPG habits. But recently, after years away from sports games, I picked up both this year’s Madden and NBA 2K15. I have a history with both games, but what I found in this years’ versions hit me right in the nerdy bone. It’s like the funny bone, but instead of jokes it’s RPGs, Star Wars references, and comics that tickle this one.

Read more of Bill Murphy's You Got Your RPG in My Sports Game.

Scanning complete. How'd I do?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Madden and NCAA Foorball have been doing this for many years now with varying degrees of success.  Madden used to even allow you to take your college player, from that years version,and port them in for the virtual NFL draft.  Allowing you to take a player, basically, through their entire adult life.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    When it comes to sports and RPG combos I like to play Blood Bowl.  Though the game is actually more akin to strategy than a sports game it still scratches that itch, in an odd way.  It would be cool if you could upload a scan of your face into that game though so you could be an orc, dwarf, vampire etc.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I prefer the career modes in sports games, along with their rpg elements far more than the Ultimate Team crap that is being pushed on us by EA. 
  • jcfjordjcfjord Member UncommonPosts: 2
    The best sports/rpg hybrid was NHL Hitz. You could create a team full of custom players with different stats and roles. Take them through the custom team career mode full of quest like challenges (check 3 players through the glass was my fav) and then import them into the NHL career and dominate real teams. You also got new gear for beating the custom teams. It was the best.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    That's pretty cool. Wish they had something like that when I still played sports games. :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Yawn.  It's still NBA, and thus, irrelevant.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    For me Madden has been ruined with the amount of RPG FLUFF they flooded the game with. I just want to play my season the same way i have every other year in the past without having to set the price of stadium hotdogs and negatiote contracts with backup qb's. Its so freacking annoying.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

I laughed. :)

But I am a guy with nearly zero interest in almost anything related to American sports minus a very few.

You stay sassy!

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

Water Pistol Pete, is that you?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Not the 2 you mention, Bill, but I've been playing NHL (insert year here) since the time I had hair in all the right places and none in weird spots.

For several years now, the hockey game has had that RPish "Be a Pro" and GM features like the ones you describe for Madden and 2K15.

Hockey is my go-to PS game...and it made those queues during Archeage launch week totally bearable :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"does the idea of sports games injecting hallmarks of a true RPG make you more or less interested in playing?"

More, in my case. Actually it's the only reason to play them :)

As others already posted, it's not a new feature. I don't play sport games, my only exception was many years ago the current version of PES, when they introduced this kinda career mode. Had a few PES fanatic buddies, they talked me into it - and it was fun for almost a year, which means a lot with my feelings towards sport games...

It's nice to create a player and try to get him to the top, choosing / switching clubs, etc. Probably the only viable gameplay for me, besides the manager games - maybe because it is a manager game-mode as well, but you also play the matches with your player. Never liked the "regular" sport games, with switching back and forth among the team like an indecisive body-snatcher :)

edit: just googled it, PES 2009. 5 years ago, damn I'm getting old...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Been doing this for quite some time in NHLPA hockey, i love being able to design and make your own player.

Really has nothing to do with RPG facets in my game,i was a big sports fan way before i even knew what a rpg was.I actually got turned right off when COD started adding rpg aspects,so much i have quit playing it altogether,forever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I love 2K's My Player/My Career mode.  I always dreamed about what it would be like to be in the NBA, and I always made characters after myself in basketball games, but it wasn't until I played their more recent games that I was able to take a version of myself, impress people into drafting me, and prove I belonged in the NBA, rather than simply being a juiced up video game baller from the get go.