Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP to what extent?

tolketolke Member UncommonPosts: 39

How much PvP is this game? Is PvP allowed everywhere? Are there PvP servers? Is end game based on PvP?

During developement all games are sandboxes. At release they all become theme parks.

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         My guess is that PvP will be consensual..  Since there is no good/evil side races, I doubt that PvP servers will be available.. It would be too difficult to determine who is friend or foe using storybricks..  My guess is that PvP will be in the form of duals, or instanced team vs team.. 
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well we just dont know really.. I would think there will be servers with different rules so PVE and PVP server but I dont think it will be open PVP accross the world.. still I think PVP will be a big part of the game or at least when it has been mentioned in interviews it did sound like it would be quite important.

We will just have to wait and see as there is very little info.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         My guess is that PvP will be consensual..  Since there is no good/evil side races, I doubt that PvP servers will be available.. It would be too difficult to determine who is friend or foe using storybricks..  My guess is that PvP will be in the form of duals, or instanced team vs team.. 

The game would be DoA if they did this. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

The Lead Devs covered this in the video A Life Of Consequences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

They talked about how the story bricks develop and players get involved and would have the choice of joining factions and fighting other players on opposing factions, but it's up to the player if he/she wants to get that involved. If they just want to participate in the PvE content they can do that instead.

From watching that video it seems they are aiming for consensual PvP.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    If you can turn PVP off and on, you have no real PVP.  Any game that does this, is not a PVP game.
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Originally posted by Pepeq

If you can turn PVP off and on, you have no real PVP.  Any game that does this, is not a PVP game.

Yup. Another carebear PvEfest MMO. Just what we need. I'll pass.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by unclemo

Excellent. 

The market needs a solid robust PvE focused game, and the less PvP obsessed complainers along the way demanding this or that the better.

The less white noise that gets in the way of what the true market wants, the more likely SOE will get out of the echo chamber of bad received wisdom that kills one game after another.

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Rydeson

That is your opinion. Not all MMO's have to be pvp based to be considered 'successful'. After all, VERY few MMO's that are pvp centric are even considered to be successful at this point as the crowd that favors PVP above all else usually kill their own games. That is my opinion.

• shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Excellent. 

The market needs a solid robust PvE focused game, and the less PvP obsessed complainers along the way demanding this or that the better.

The less white noise that gets in the way of what the true market wants, the more likely SOE will get out of the echo chamber of bad received wisdom that kills one game after another.

I fully agree. Look at all the FFA pvp MMO's out there, then look at the community they have. The community usually eats itself alive. Show me ONE FFA Pvp game that has lasted as long as EQ or Wow and been as popular? The correct answer would be zero.

Originally posted by shiner421 ....as the crowd that favors PVP above all else usually kill their own games. That is my opinion.

One that I share.

Between their toxic posturing and squeaky wheel mentality, the "like PvP or die" crowd are bad for any game. Add to this that the majority seem to be fickle game hoppers, and the fact that they usually the ones running the hacks, I do wonder why Devs seem to listen to these guys. Maybe it's just that they are a vocal minority.

I still maintain that the rise in popularity of the MOBA has had a detrimental effect on MMORPGs.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by shiner421 ....as the crowd that favors PVP above all else usually kill their own games. That is my opinion.

One that I share.

Between their toxic posturing and squeaky wheel mentality, the "like PvP or die" crowd are bad for any game. Add to this that the majority seem to be fickle game hoppers, and the fact that they usually the ones running the hacks, I do wonder why Devs seem to listen to these guys. Maybe it's just that they are a vocal minority.

I still maintain that the rise in popularity of the MOBA has had a detrimental effect on MMORPGs.

My experience is that the PvP crowd go by the mentality of "Own or get owned"..  If they are one of the better players, they'll stay with the game, but for whatever reason they are on the bottom of the food chain, they often go find another game (hopping).. When this happens the ones on the top will now become bottom feeders (attrition).. PvP games always need a steady supply of bottom feeders to keep the game active.. 

It's why I almost focus on PvE games, because everyone can contribute in one form or another.. Sure the ranger girl that would normally get owned in PvP, can still contribute to a PvE raid fight if designed right..  PvP is based on exclusiveness, while PvE is more inclusive..  IMO..   I enjoy games that bring people together, not split them apart.. oh well

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    I think they made it pretty clear already, PvP will be situational and consentual, and PvE will drive most of storybricks emergeng ai. It will be the actions of players that drives the ai, and it that can be directly through PvP in some cases and indirectly through for example supporting PvE actions.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Rydeson      My guess is that PvP will be consensual..  Since there is no good/evil side races, I doubt that PvP servers will be available.. It would be too difficult to determine who is friend or foe using storybricks..  My guess is that PvP will be in the form of duals, or instanced team vs team.. 

The game would be DoA if it was PvP centric.

PvP centric MMOs always have TERRIBLE communities.

Spend 5 minutes in ArcheAge to see the latest example.

• ndreanandreana Member UncommonPosts: 1

Hopefully will not be full pvp that would ruin the game , much like darkfall , archeage , and all the other pvp gank games

how about a sandbox with more pve elements since greifers and gankers ruin all the gameplay and end up failing and empty

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

I ultimately imagine it being zone based ,

where there are noob friendly zones with PvP tagged off

And there are special, hot higher level zones where it is all out PvP ,

a kinda enter at your own risk youve been warned kind of deal .

this is the one and only best solution to cater to softcore players, and hardcore PvP players

although if a low level player decides to attack somebody in a noob zone, he will autoflag himself and be PvP enabled

basically the original World of warcraft PvP & flagging system redux 

Originally posted by SupaAPE

I ultimately imagine it being zone based , where there are noob friendly zones with PvP tagged off. And there are special, hot higher level zones where it is all out PvP 

Hrm, maybe, but tbh I see SOE going with the server specific rule set approach over this. They have many flaws as a dev, but they seem to always of understood the need for different servers for different play styles.

Has there really been no hints even about this yet?

I mean, it's pretty core...

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

Excellent. 

This!!!  So tired of the CoD, killragepwn'ers and would like a good mmoRPG to play

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

One that I share.

I am sick of it too....the Counter Strike cronies making the MMORPG genre a wasteland in the name of ubergodliness...really sick of it

• ZigZagsIIIZigZagsIII Member Posts: 18
    In EQ1 the breakdown was about 85% playing on Non PVP servers while 15% played on a PVP server. The same holds true today on the private EQ servers. In true EQ form I am betting on a consent style pvp system which is really sad if its true. Im hoping for the best though.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Anyone giving you info on this subject is guessing. All we know for sure is no one will be forced to PvP and voxels will be part of it as the two are tied together almost any time a dev talks about PvP. Anything outside that, its hot air.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The Lead Devs covered this in the video A Life Of Consequences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

They talked about how the story bricks develop and players get involved and would have the choice of joining factions and fighting other players on opposing factions, but it's up to the player if he/she wants to get that involved. If they just want to participate in the PvE content they can do that instead.

From watching that video it seems they are aiming for consensual PvP.

They never said this was a feature, just that it could work that way on a PvP server. No official word on how PvP will work.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

Amen to this. MOBA games are concentrated, no context, PvP arenas with communities that make MMORPG.com look like charm school.

Developers looked at market population for MOBAs and decided that MMORPG Players could be sacrificed on the idea of attempting to lure MOBA players over. This is like deciding that Gasoline would be better for your Diesel Engine because more people use gasoline.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • BribaryanBribaryan Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by shiner421

Excellent. 

I fully agree. Look at all the FFA pvp MMO's out there, then look at the community they have. The community usually eats itself alive. Show me ONE FFA Pvp game that has lasted as long as EQ or Wow and been as popular? The correct answer would be zero.

UO in its prime was excellent and better than bot of those imo.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am quite certain most feel it will be identical as already been in EQ games.I found it lame that Smedley tried to create a little buzz when mentioning perma-death,it was like he was marketing his game to try and get as many people on board.

The EQ franchise has been struggling ,imo mostly because of the way perceive SOE,wow is definitely not a better game but has a happy following.IMO there is no way SOE could risk anything too risky from pvp unless they thought they had a better chance at aiming for a new audience and give up on the old fans.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

One that I share.

Hmm? What now... the pvp crowd is not good for any MMO. Or that it had a detrimental effect on MMOs that the pvp crowd is pulled away from MMOs to MOBAs?

And i highly doubt that the pvp crowd is the majority of game hoppers, more the contrary. And about hacks.. i wonder if there is a more or less reliable statistic about it.. because again i doubt that it is the case. It is just the case that within pvp people care about if someone uses hacks and it will be cry out loud very fast if someone uses hacks.. or even if it looks like it.

But yeap.. we, the pvp crowd a the bad boys, sociopaths, a complete minority(but vocal), and destroy your games. However what MMO without any pvp is even available.. not to talk about successful? I am just tired of hearing that again and again.. hopefully you get your pve only game, stick with it, and don't ever touch any game with pvp.. and maybe.. maybe i will not have to listen to such a bullshit again. However.. i doubt it.. because actually the "pve player" is the game hopper.. joins even games with pvp and complains afterwards that there is pvp and how bad and evil those pvpers are.. although those pvp only do what is supposed to be done.. play against and with other players.