Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash Shop Done Right!!

toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I finally found a good F2P game that the game is not stacked against you, if you do not buy items from the shop. Unbalanced cash shops is the first thing that runs me off from F2P games.  I am not a big penny pincher, and I have bought a couple hereos and inventory spaces in this game, but I hate the feeling that I HAVE to buy something to enjoy the game. 

What are your guys opinions on how this cash shop is set up compared to other F2P games?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
Now Playing: N/A
Worst MMO: FFXIV
Favorite MMO: FFXI

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    It's one of, if not, the best F2P model out.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    It wasn't long ago this was said of Rift
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Yes it has one of the better cash shop implementation. I would like to get more storage space by grinding though.

That thing you can do in LOTRO.

Another good thing Marvel Heroes shows is that active F2P can be without gold spammers.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Great game and they have the best drops.  Gold sellers just can't compete.  Other games make it hard to get gold so some people just buy it but with this game gold comes easy, puts them right out of business. 

There's a youtube interview with a gold seller who said if games want to get rid of us all they have to do is make gold and items easy to get which undercuts us to much.  No profits no sellers.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

it's a very good model but if you intend to play the game somewhat seriously, you are forced to buy storage. there is no way around it.

best f2p model hands down goes to path of exile and dota 2/cs:go though.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I don't consider paying for inventory space to be fun.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by ananit

it's a very good model but if you intend to play the game somewhat seriously, you are forced to buy storage. there is no way around it.

Ya I guess you are right about storage, it would be rough if you play hardcore to not buy storage, but once they implemented the currency tab a few patches back, that freed up a lot of your standard storage, since all your raid tokens and event tokens go there now. I think it would be doable to play without buying storage, but not if you are a pack rat like me image

It would be nice if they allowed you to buy storage with the eternity splinters though.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I only played this in beta and I could hardly run it on my old PC, might try it again.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

cs:go wasn't free and still costs 15 dollars. They just put a skin system into the game like dota 2 has just on the guns.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

I honestly get the impression Marvel Heroes is run more by Marvel fans doing it because they love Marvel (and perhaps, making games) more than a company trying to make a profit (primarily).

Also, what F2P do you NOT have to pay for inventory space these days?  Even Path of Exile charges for that.

Originally posted by TiamatRoar

I honestly get the impression Marvel Heroes is run more by Marvel fans doing it because they love Marvel (and perhaps, making games) more than a company trying to make a profit (primarily).

Also, what F2P do you NOT have to pay for inventory space these days?  Even Path of Exile charges for that.

I agree, the guys running the game, do seem to be marvel fans. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it is a decent model if you dont mind spending more money than what you want to spend. All microtransaction based business models are flawed. You have to make unnecessary purchases to get things that dont cost that much, passively forcing you to spend more and more in excess every time you want to buy even a single item. Where am i getting with this? I would rather follow the Free to Play model from Dota 2. Pay an exact amount of real money for the item you want.

If the item i want from the cash shop cost 500 microtransactions and you get 400 per 10 dollars and 200 per 5 dollars, then you have to buy three  200 packs or one  400 + one 200 packs to make up the 500 cost and have extra currency remaining. That is bullshit. Charge me the exact price or i aint buying it. Microtransactions are flawed by design for the sole purpose of ripping people off. I hope more F2P companies learn from Valve and use the Dota 2 model. Pay for what you want to buy, not for what they want to sell.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by toddze

I finally found a good F2P game that the game is not stacked against you, if you do not buy items from the shop. Unbalanced cash shops is the first thing that runs me off from F2P games.  I am not a big penny pincher, and I have bought a couple hereos and inventory spaces in this game, but I hate the feeling that I HAVE to buy something to enjoy the game. 

What are your guys opinions on how this cash shop is set up compared to other F2P games?

I am glad for your discovery but how come you missed Aion (US version)?

The whole game is free and only things you buy from shop is cosmetics. Infact AION F2P is even better than MH just because of the scope, content and features Aion offers.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Path of exile gives you 4 bank tabs for free, which if you manage correctly is enough.  If you join a guild you dont need more than that.

1) POE 

2) MH

as far as cash shops, but these arent really an MMO, it seems easier to do a proper cash shop in a hack and slash

I bought stuff from each games cash shop for the simple reason I wanted to support the Dev teams of both games, not cause I actually needed to

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I bought stuff from each games cash shop for the simple reason I wanted to support the Dev teams of both games, not cause I actually needed to

when i make cash shop purchases that is the reason why i do it. If i am forced to buy from a cash shop (like in Swtor) they will never see a dime from my wallet.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by toddze

I am glad for your discovery but how come you missed Aion (US version)?

The whole game is free and only things you buy from shop is cosmetics. Infact AION F2P is even better than MH just because of the scope, content and features Aion offers.

I did try Aion, but my problem with that is I was playing Aion wanting to play an MMO and I don't like that style of MMO, never got out of starter zone, and never opened CS. 

Marvel heros, I don't even consider an MMO, just a fun little  online game with mmo features.

But I have very strict criteria for what I call an mmo. Which most disagree with me, but that's ok. 

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

when i make cash shop purchases that is the reason why i do it. If i am forced to buy from a cash shop (like in Swtor) they will never see a dime from my wallet.

I am exactly the same way

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Agreed @ OP

Marvel and World of Tanks are the best ones for me.

You can do anything you want from Start to the End. But if YOU WANT you can spend some Money. And that's how it should be.

And honestly, if i like a Game and feel no pressure to pay, my Wallet opens easier; first off, for my Fun and for the Devs as their Gamedesign fits.

Feels just good.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

One of the things that amazes me is that there is some price protection built in.  If you buy a thing up to 7 days before a special offer or sale, you get that bonus/sale price.  Currently they are doing a Buy one get one deal, you buy a hero, you get a random hero box with it.  I had bought a hero last week, but they still gave me the box once the sale started, even though I didnt buy a hero when the sale was going on.

Warframe is also a solid F2P title.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Dupe post
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by grimal
    It's one of, if not, the best F2P model out.

I was just about to post the exact same thing.

it's a very good model but if you intend to play the game somewhat seriously, you are forced to buy storage. there is no way around it. best f2p model hands down goes to path of exile and dota 2/cs:go though.

PoE is a good model, definitely one of the better ones. I don't know about DoTA 2 as I'm not a fan of MOBAS. But you mention about storage and that you need to pay for it...Path of Exile you have to buy storage as well. And as far as space goes, each item space in MH is 1 item(which include stacking items), where in PoE some items take a lot of space. You may get more tabs in PoE but that doesn't mean more space for items necessarily. In PoE things can take up big amounts of space.

Gazillion Entertainment is full of Marvel fans, from the CEO David Brevik to many other employees they love Marvel and you can tell. The devs know how to connect with the players and take feedback and actually use it. Gazillion is the best companies out there that make games. A lot of game developers out there should take notes.

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    I am glad for your discovery but how come you missed Aion (US version)? The whole game is free and only things you buy from shop is cosmetics. Infact AION F2P is even better than MH just because of the scope, content and features Aion offers.

I'm going to mention 2 things. Aion is MMORPG.. totally different type of game. Marvel Heroes is an MMOARPG like the Diablo franchise. Everything is different about the 2.

2nd Aion has tons of restrictions if you choose to not pay compared to paying...limited character slots, you can't use world chat, limits on trading, you can't buy or sell at the trade brokers, no Legion warehouse, limited mail and you can't send items, limited gathering and item extraction, you can't open your own store, limited amount of time you can do instances each week and not to mention you get a decent amount of perks from paying compared to free 2 play such as AP and insignias. As I mentioned this is not even the type of genre as Marvel Heroes but to say this model is better free 2 play model than Marvel Heroes in my opinion is crazy..

Originally posted by Derros
    One of the things that amazes me is that there is some price protection built in.  If you buy a thing up to 7 days before a special offer or sale, you get that bonus/sale price.  Currently they are doing a Buy one get one deal, you buy a hero, you get a random hero box with it.  I had bought a hero last week, but they still gave me the box once the sale started, even though I didnt buy a hero when the sale was going on.

Gazillion values their players and it shows.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Marvel Heroes does have a very good F2P model - I'd agree it's one of the best out there.  Very good game, too.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Originally posted by ChaoticWake

I'm going to mention 2 things. Aion is MMORPG.. totally different type of game. Marvel Heroes is an MMOARPG like the Diablo franchise. Everything is different about the 2.

2nd Aion has tons of restrictions if you choose to not pay compared to paying...limited character slots, you can't use world chat, limits on trading, you can't buy or sell at the trade brokers, no Legion warehouse, limited mail and you can't send items, limited gathering and item extraction, you can't open your own store, limited amount of time you can do instances each week and not to mention you get a decent amount of perks from paying compared to free 2 play such as AP and insignias. As I mentioned this is not even the type of genre as Marvel Heroes but to say this model is better free 2 play model than Marvel Heroes in my opinion is crazy..

To me it looks like you are talking about Aion EU version and not the Aion NA version that was refered to.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Derros

Warframe is also a solid F2P title.

I've had them do that for purchases nearly a month old for me. Much like a lot of retailers, the 'official' policy might be rather limited or unforgiving, but this is just a CYA move to satisfy the legal department. In reality, they're actually pretty lenient. For example, a certain online reseller of PC parts and supplies clearly states in their return policy that they will not, under any circumstances, pay for return shipping, even on a defective item. However, in my experience if you call them up instead of going through the website, they're more than happy to arrange for return shipping, and will even offer to cross-ship you a new item (something which, according to policy, they will NEVER EVER DO).

While you will eventually have to pony up a little cash for storage, unless you're a complete pack-rat $20 should buy enough storage for a long time, especially now that currency items are contained in a wallet instead of your inventory or stash. Plus they've increased the default inventory space by a decent amount. Oh, and buying a team-up hero provides you with extra space as well, and one of those can be obtained for free. 

I've spent a lot more on the game than I'm willing to admit, but I never felt I had to. I wanted to. To me, that's the way a cash shop should be perceived.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic