Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

for all doubters who say they only make ships

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

look at this ripped alpha footage from the livestream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gGLE3USB2U&hd=1

Comments

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Is that it?  11 minutes of footage with very little actual dogfight gameplay?  Okay.  

Anyone know when the next ship is available for sale?

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Varex12

Is that it?  11 minutes of footage with very little actual dogfight gameplay?  Okay.  

Anyone know when the next ship is available for sale?

Yes that is it,. for dogfighting footage go look up Arena Commander footage, this was a planetside demo, read the video title maybe?

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

That does not look like you can go down to the planet manually. Basically you go through the same cut-scene every time you land and end up in a high poly lobby to walk around in.

The character animations need some serious work. Environment looks great.

----

Not saying it does not look impressive but from a game play perspective this shit is going to get old really quick. I hope there is a way to skip that sequence.

----

This is how you do planetary landing/exploring

Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

That does not look like you can go down to the planet manually. Basically you go through the same cut-scene every time you land and end up in a high poly lobby to walk around in.

----

Not saying it does not look impressive but from a game play perspective this shit is going to get old really quick. I hope there is a way to skip that sequence.

----

you know what gets old fast, a boring manual docking each time you want to land somewhere and a boring minigame over and over and over again.

This landing sequence is NOT boring as it serves a purpose it replaces a loading screen and you can still look around, run around in your ship, you can obviously even get assigned 20 something different landing platforms look at the HUD there are many different landing spots.

this is immersive background loading at its best, can´t see how this could get ANY better.

Besides think about it a big city would do EXACTLY that, remote land your ship on a predefined path. On empty planets in the future they will sure let us land manually but first thing I would get would be an automatic landing computer or something similiar.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

----

Sums up what I think. It's a good start but I feel it'll get old very quickly, like SW:TOR's loading screens.

Visually it's very good, although I hope there's more to it than a market square, 4 shops and a futuristic water fountain.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

They bought the engine so they are actually showing off what they bought, rather than what they did on their own.

You can download CE SDK(for free) and make something very similar...

It is very embarrassing.

• 1000111010110001110101 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Hopefully we will see Infinity:The Quest for Earth one day, but for now I will stick with Elite.  Just can't seem to get behind SC.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    The real question is how many people are dedicated to working on the game and how many on new ships to sell?  New Ships have out paced new content announcements by a good margin for the last year plus.  There is nothing wrong with releasing new ships but Star Citizen has become a joke with how far to one extreme they have taken this whole crowd funding thing.  At what point are they going to commit to releasing a game and not more ships with more stretch goals that just extend the development time even more?
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I want to believe!

Star Citizen and EQN are promising so much, I so hope they deliver because I would be a very happy gamer.

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Gdemami

They bought the engine so they are actually showing off what they bought, rather than what they did on their own.

It is very embarrassing.

I won't be surprised if this statement finds it's place along the "640K ought to be enough for anybody" thats how stupid it is.

It's frightening how clueless you are about 3d scene composition, modelling, materials, lighting, rigging and animation to serve us such statement.

In regard to the game so far it's pretty but shallow (due to the alpha stage I hope)

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by DocBrody

----

----

you know what gets old fast, a boring manual docking each time you want to land somewhere and a boring minigame over and over and over again.

This landing sequence is NOT boring as it serves a purpose it replaces a loading screen and you can still look around, run around in your ship, you can obviously even get assigned 20 something different landing platforms look at the HUD there are many different landing spots.

We are at a technological level where loading screens are a thing of the past. It's really sad that they need to have loading screens. But i guess that is what you get when you don't have talented people and just buy an engine.

this is immersive background loading at its best, can´t see how this could get ANY better.

When SC does it a boring repetitive cutscene suddenly becomes an immersive loading screen experience? You got to be kidding me. Can you be more obvious in your blind bias towards the game. Keep an open mind man.

Besides think about it a big city would do EXACTLY that, remote land your ship on a predefined path. On empty planets in the future they will sure let us land manually but first thing I would get would be an automatic landing computer or something similiar.

So you visited the future and saw this first hand? Who says that it will be like that? Maybe we dock at stations tethered to the ground with space elevators, a MUCH more likely scenario since entry end launch from a planet is very ineffective in terms of energy consumption.

But who am i to argue your logic, SC knows what the future will be like, right?

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232

So.... How much was the ship in the demo?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

It is very embarrassing.

lol, so. how is your game called and what can you do in it so far?

and how long did it take you to modify the cryengine 3 after you bought the rights on it?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy but I feel it'll get old very quickly, like SW:TOR's loading screens.

LOL

he compares  a still loading painting (this one!)

with a fully animated landing sequence where you can get off your chair and walk around in a ship.

X,-D

So desperate to bash Star Citizen to post utter nonsense?

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

The amount of haters this game has is astonoshing. The best part is that all the comments are smth like

1. Where is gameplay, they are working only on ships.

2. Landing is just a loading screen.

3. OMFG they are selling ship for 600$

1. Well go to Twitch and check Star Citizen streams there is always some1 playing.

2. Well why Elite has manual landing i found it only a nuisance. After sometime it gets boring and if I had to chose between manual landing or having FPS and Planetside in game form start than option 2 plz.

3. And for like 100 time every ship will be available to get ingame. No one is forcing you to buy these ships and as Chris said during during conference this is a way of supporting the game.

And that maybe look ridiculous to you but yes some people have a lot of income and can afford themselves a 600$ ship and want to help creation of a game that they are dreaming of their entire life.

And it looks like most of these haters have no sense of scale of this game. Unlike Elite where your are stuck in 32 players instances and most of the time you are alone in universe. SC will be filled with players and npcs.

Also there is no dev team that is communicating more with it's community than RSI does.

And one more thing these are not ppl that just grouped together and decide to make a game. Chris and Erin Roberts ( and other people around them ) are veterans of this genre and if someone can pull this off then it's them.

Oh and one more thing this game has been in the making for less than a 2 years and look what it has accomplished. Games like Desitny or some MMOs take much more time and look laughable compared to this.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I watched the first 2 or so hours of the stream and it was sad. I feel sorry for them.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If everything on the screen is playable then it is ok to pretty good.

Ai will be key,i got real bored/tired of SWTOR AI that always acted the same.I also don't like multiple npc's on the exact same AI,it looks bad.

It still does not warrant throwing a LOT of money blindly at a game development.If people were donating say 50 bucks maximum and everyone is treated the same then i would say fine but as is it is a buy to win,favor goes to those who pay the most,definitely not a design i would support.

One thing for certain ,this is a massive budget,you had better expect a lot,using his words,his 50+ million is like close to 200 million without the added overhead.The whole game has to come together,even if it turns out good and buy to win is tossed out the door and i accept it to give it a try,i need a LOT more than just nice mapping and space combat because to me space combat is extremely boring.

Kind of curious to the game engine,it looks awful familiar,it does look like a decent engine close to Half Life/Unreal quality.

I read others comments,to me the video is a huge step up from what they were not showing us for a very long time.I agree they COULD be just borrowing a free SDK to make a video without actually licensing the engine although i assume they are licensing it.

I see a decent amount of effort in that video,they need to keep showing us some effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

every new info on this game is awesome this is the true spirtual successor and lovechild of Star Wars Galaxies and Wing Commander , it just can´t get any better

Yes it will take time, yes people pledge money to it but no one forces anyone, it has been said hundreds of time, you are not a second class citizen if you start out with the basic 40$ game package with Aurora and earn all the stuff you want in game..

Haters gonna hate!

I am a lover and I love!

:-D

In total I pledged to the development 100$ and will add another pledge in the future, I´m perfectly fine and I don´t need 200 $ ships, I will earn them simply by playing this awesome fantastic game

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by udon
    The real question is how many people are dedicated to working on the game and how many on new ships to sell?  New Ships have out paced new content announcements by a good margin for the last year plus.  There is nothing wrong with releasing new ships but Star Citizen has become a joke with how far to one extreme they have taken this whole crowd funding thing.  At what point are they going to commit to releasing a game and not more ships with more stretch goals that just extend the development time even more?

On the live stream yesterday they said 280 people were being employed to work on the game so you have help give them jobs.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy but I feel it'll get old very quickly, like SW:TOR's loading screens.

LOL

he compares  a still loading painting (this one!)

with a fully animated landing sequence where you can get off your chair and walk around in a ship.

X,-D

So desperate to bash Star Citizen to post utter nonsense?

Lol I'm talking about the break in gameplay not static load scenes .... talk about missing the point.

This is going to be Freelancer HD, certainly not going a spiritual successor to SWG or WC.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The issue isn't that little else is developed. The issue is how this company is abusing crowd funding and corrupting the concept of a "game". The only game going on here is this company gaming it's fans.

It could be the best game ever made ... but is not the point. It entirely separate from the damage this approach to game development is doing to the industry. There are lines that should not be crossed. This game's development not only crossed them but pointed back and mocked the lines for even being there and yelled, "Ethics? Bitches, we be here for the money!"

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by NitemareMMO

It's frightening how clueless you are about 3d scene composition, modelling, materials, lighting, rigging and animation to serve us such statement.

Yes, they still do have to build the scene, they still have to do modelling but vast majority of the work is done - animations, ligthing, shaders, etc. all they bought. All they had to do is to just create that one little area.

Compare this "little" work of single amateur fan did with the SDK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQC0QwYgM4

What they show, is no achievement, it's very simple to make if you already have the engine and I bet they also got quite a few goodies with it as well.

Originally posted by Thane

and how long did it take you to modify the cryengine 3 after you bought the rights on it?

For what they showed, there isn't much modification needed - it is just what CE does. The hard work will come once they turning this gfx scene a game - game mechanics, network layer, etc. which...we did not see yet.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

This game and Elite: Dangerous are hard to judge for me.  They both look great visually from what I have seen so far.  I'm also glad to see the space ship/combat simulator genre get some love again.  It's been way to long since I have played I good space game.  The X series for single player and EVE for multiplayer have just been disappointments to me.  

As far as the landing sequence being hands off I'm actually OK with it.  Commercial aviation already works almost the same way with the amount of automation involved when it comes to landing an airliner.  Like someone else said, the character animations do need work though.  That said at least my avatar won't be just a ship, so I would actually even be happy with Turbine's level of character animation as another form of interacting with other players and the environment. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

What they show, is no achievement, it's very simple to make if you already have the engine and I bet they also got quite a few goodies with it as well.

Yes it might be easy to make with the toolset and engine they bought.  But it's the design of the environment, ships, lighting (both direct and ambient), sound, animation keying, character design, color study and the overall aesthetic of making it look like all those elements belong together and convincing is what is not easy. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

This discussion has been closed.