Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam has to go..

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Random poster vs. Steam (a company I've never had troubles with, and a company who offers me awesome deals)

hmmmmmmmm... The quandary.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

just bad luck ,I never had a problem with steam.

if my load speed was faster I would not have to go and buy the box set of games but staem are most of the time more expensive also.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

removed

removed

removed
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Raquis

just bad luck ,I never had a problem with steam.

I agree. It happens, you are dealing with humans after all. :)

Been a Steam member since 2003 with no problems aswell.

• BlkWizz1BlkWizz1 Member Posts: 9

I'm not a Steam user, but reading this does warrant a look at Steam's BBB rating if I was going to use their services.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

ive been a Steam user since release, since then i got a total of 3 refunds (because the game purchased was not the one intended) and even one of them was a bluff.

Never had any problem, i was polite asking and thats that.

• WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54
    10 years over 80 games purchased not a single problem with Steam. Saved a boat load of money buying stuff on sale. I will keep on buying...
  • shukoladeshukolade Member UncommonPosts: 113

So you leased a game (wtf?), your internet fucked up and something went wrong with the payment.

Next step is to go the lawyer - you're from Murica aren't you?

Steam is something good, without it PC gaming wouldn't be where it is now. Don't get me started on all the indie stuff going on there, pretty awesome!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

They didn't threaten to take your account away from you. It states your account will be locked from making any future purchases, trades etc.

You closed the dispute without paying attention to what was written

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I am not saying that I don't believe you but I really don't freaking believe you one bit. I have contacted Steam on a number of occasions and I have never ended in a situation where I was getting standard premade emails. They always resolved my issues. They have given me refunds on a number of occassions. So I seriously doubt that if you contacted them to say that you had billing issues and you got charged but didn't get the game, I seriously doubt they will not give you the game.

Steam has saved me hundreds of pounds because of all of their sweet deals. 

Valve <3 The only thing I hate about Valve is that they are not nearly as good as Blizzard at coding!

Did I mention that I hate boxes? I really hate game boxes and I really hate having to go to a gazillion number of online retailers and having to remember all their logins etc.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AnskierAnskier Member UncommonPosts: 59

I sympathize with you, but you I think you panicked.

First that email and pop-up were almost certainly as canned as everything else you received. It may or may not have been send by a person, but it is a copy paste affair.

Second why were you so terrified of having your account locked? I mean if the emails you posted are accurate it stops you from getting new games, posting an their forum and trading their silly steam cards, and using a game that you never received. If you carefully read the pop-up and email it doesn't say that you lose access to every one of your games.

The game you never received so no loss there, the new games I hope you are unlikely to buy after how you were treated, and the steam cards are IMO a rather silly thing entirely and rather easily ignored.

Really as soon as you closed that complaint you lost most of your recourse here. So unless you want to escalate things hugely to the courts which will likely cost you way more then you will ever get back if you get anything, your pretty much out of luck.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    The customer service for Steam has always been absolute shit. A few years ago when I was having problems, they didn't even have a phone number I could call, it was a voice mail number like the OP has already mentioned. Waiting for them to respond to tickets was a nightmare, and what was essentially an account credential reset ended up taking around four or five days. Despite that, though, I still really enjoy Steam, I just wish they had better CS.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145

Games on PC are cheaper but this is becoming a downside,I have purchased a key from G2A and was invalid and so my money was taken but no change of key and no refund.

Never had a problem with Steam but after reading this story I will try to use other services like GOG when possible.

Pay pal need to offer better protection otherwise it's a useless system that only cost money to us.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by fivoroth

I am not saying that I don't believe you but I really don't freaking believe you one bit. I have contacted Steam on a number of occasions and I have never ended in a situation where I was getting standard premade emails. They always resolved my issues. They have given me refunds on a number of occassions. So I seriously doubt that if you contacted them to say that you had billing issues and you got charged but didn't get the game, I seriously doubt they will not give you the game.

Steam has saved me hundreds of pounds because of all of their sweet deals. 

Valve <3 The only thing I hate about Valve is that they are not nearly as good as Blizzard at coding!

Did I mention that I hate boxes? I really hate game boxes and I really hate having to go to a gazillion number of online retailers and having to remember all their logins etc.

There's really only 2 things Valve should be taken to task for:

1. No HL3

2. Not making all the Windows games run easily under wine.

Agree, Linux needs more support, but its not something that Steam is able to do alone, the game developers themselves are the ones that need to make it easier to either run under a linux based system or code a product for it natively, of course, Microsoft are not keen on that coming about so don't hold your breath.image

Personally i think anyone who seriously believes Steam is behaving in a criminal manner perhaps have issues of their own to deal with, and 'projecting' them onto a commercial platform, is probably not the best way to deal with themimage

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Originally posted by Haurus
    Call the US attorney general, the state department and the BBB, report steam for fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, blackmail and theft. Then sue Valve for the full cost of the games that were in your steam library, plus time spent, plus pain and suffering, plus legal fees.

Totally agree with this. Do not let them get away with scamming you. 

If you have bought a game through Steam, they cannot just close your account without refunding.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

I'll agree with the title of this thread. 'Steam has to go', Steam and Games for Windows Live. Both are unnecessary software and applications required to manage and play the games we buy (lease).

If you enjoy them then I'm happy for you. Both have been more of a hinderance than helpful assets since I installed them. If they weren't required for me to play the games I paid for I'd uninstall them in a second and never look back. Whatever they provide should be handled/provided by the software companies that make and publish the games and independent third parties that have nothing to do with their distrubution.

Steam and any service like it needs to go and we should let game publishers know this.

Just my opinion and I know many will not agree with it.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

Removed

Informed I could be sued for saying something bad about steam publically 

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

It's pretty clear you have a Paypal receipt showing you paid for the game.  Steam is obligated to honor that. 

It is as simple as this.

Receipt shows that game was bought and to what name/email it was purchased to.

Steam will have to check your account to see if you got the game on your account.

They will then realize if it is not, they will add it to your account.

Simple, it seems you made a storm in a tea cup.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

It's pretty clear you have a Paypal receipt showing you paid for the game.  Steam is obligated to honor that. 

It is as simple as this.

Receipt shows that game was bought and to what name/email it was purchased to.

Steam will have to check your account to see if you got the game on your account.

They will then realize if it is not, they will add it to your account.

Simple, it seems you made a storm in a tea cup.

Problem is their absolutely horrible customer support that has only gotten worse over the years.

---

1. You need to go through at least 3 canned responses which can be between 2-3 weeks before you get someone to really look at what you wrote.

2. Support always refuses help and points to the EULA/TOS first before they actually help you. Another week goes by.

3. They will discuss the issue with you saying if they help you you used up your ONE TIME favor and they will take note before they solve your problem.

4. Four weeks later you may have your issue resolved.

---

The whole customer support is made to discourage and intimidate you. In my opinion that is disgusting and despicable for a company that makes billions a year. They do not offer chat or voice support at all.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I had a hard time liking steam when I first got it. Back then I preferred the box and dvd-roms. I suppose I still had an old fashioned view of buying games, because ever since I was a teenager I went to the store to browse the shelves for games and try to pick something out that I wanted to play. But games, particularly PC games began to move towards digital downloads. Games like Minecraft and Bastion simply do not exist in a physical form and you have no choice but to get download them.

I don't really have a problem with steam now and have accepted that the pretty much tied down the digital download market. They probably have way more users than GOG, Gamergate, Origin and others have put together. When a new game is released Steam is the go to place to buy it. I can see it as a problem in that Valve has so much power over the marketplace. But GOG and Gamersgate simply do not have the range of games and is not as easy to use as steam. I mean I load up steam just to browse the workshop for skyrim and EU4. It also has tags the browse walking simulators and play Gone Home and pretend its art or browse curator lists and find what Kotaku was paid to like and I can browse games that specifically use controllers... no other platform offers this much.

• BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42

I have no idea what this thread was about. But Valve need to die already. Without dropping names on the company that agreed to giving me a refund then later realized I bought it through steam and was told to contact steam with a reference number and they will give me the refund. However we all know valve has a broken system of no refunds, ever. Even though they say they make exceptions. Which is why they are being sued. It wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't cost me $165. The only other problem I've had with Valve, is again a refund issue. I bought in game items, did not receive them, was told to report it to the dota devs on their forums. That was roughly 6 months ago. The issue has been pushed so far back on their forums that I got banned for bumping it. No replies, but a ban for bumping.. They have no care for the customer. They never have had any car for the customer. 0 customer support, 0 customer care. Once I get this all sorted you may all look at the tickets and the horrible replies/response times.

Edited; Swears removed in case it gave admins reason to remove my post :)

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by psiic
    RemovedInformed I could be sued for saying something bad about steam publically 

How has this thread not been locked yet? It's obviously all fake.

I am worried for all of you who replied in a serious matter...

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Howbadisbad

Originally posted by psiic
    Removed

Informed I could be sued for saying something bad about steam publically 

How has this thread not been locked yet? It's obviously all fake.

I am worried for all of you who replied in a serious matter...

I think you should be more worried at the fact EVERYONE is letting a company get away with theft just because in their guidelines it says they won't give refunds under any circumstances. Both of my issues should have been refunded but they're making me go the long way to get this. 

This discussion has been closed.