Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AA and GW2 the better Wow alternatives

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

So far A.A. is, imo, one of the better mmo games to play that isn't Wow or just plain tired of Wow.   The other is GW2, which is F2P, and is even better imo.    I am starting to play GW2 again too (havent played in awhile)    I did try and play ESO, Wildstar at launch but both games didnt do it for me.   Thought WS was going to be great, but didnt take long to realize I didnt like the combat and the very cartoony, kiddy graphics.     I think A.A. really hurt WS, cause it came out not long after WS's release.    

I like how A.A. doesnt have that tiresome, telegraph combat and more realistic graphics.   Also more sandboxy with more open worlds and zones.    Just my 2 cents.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Glad you have found your game(s). 
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Wildstar was bleeding looooong before AA was released (relatively speaking.  Which is pretty bad when you consider that WS was released kinda close to AA.  Now that was one fast downward spiral)

Anyone who's playing AA just as an alternative to WoW had better know what they're getting into.  I see tons of people who treat AA as if it's a "PvE game with added farming, crafting, and naval combat features" but it's actually a "PvP game (and a highly competitive one) with farming, crafting, and naval combat", with the "highly competitive" part being particularly devious.

Sadly, like most MMOs, you don't really understand what's happening until the game's aged a bit and the player population settled in and you've reached the higher levels (hence the honeymoon period is exasperated further).  I suspect that's how MMOs milk as much money as they can out of those that fall outside their niche (if they have a niche in the first place).

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

So far A.A. is, imo, one of the better mmo games to play that isn't Wow or just plain tired of Wow.   The other is GW2, which is F2P, and is even better imo.    I am starting to play GW2 again too (havent played in awhile)    I did try and play ESO, Wildstar at launch but both games didnt do it for me.   Thought WS was going to be great, but didnt take long to realize I didnt like the combat and the very cartoony, kiddy graphics.     I think A.A. really hurt WS, cause it came out not long after WS's release.    

I like how A.A. doesnt have that tiresome, telegraph combat and more realistic graphics.   Also more sandboxy with more open worlds and zones.    Just my 2 cents.

Considering both AA and GW2 are very different games compared to WOW. I can understand how both of these game would feel fresh to someone.

It is always good to have a variety its like eating same pizza every night. No matter how much you love it, you will eventually get sick of it.

Wildstar is inferior version of WOW. So probably a bad chocie for someone who is already sick of playing WOW.

However, i don't believe AA hurt WS or any other themepark MMO for that matter. It is like saying EVE ONLINE hurts WOW.

AA is a very different type of game and attarct very different kind of players.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

after a very very long break from GW2 ( only played a couple months at launch ) me and my wife recently got back into it and I have to say I realy dont remember why I quit... probably to go play WoW Cata when it launched and then forgot about it.

People say its a casual game because there are no end game Raids and because they say the World vs world vs world is only a big zerg...

To that I answer that there are harder dongeons and you need to be decent and have a good group . End game is an Economy game and not only a race for BiS. The cradting is deep and fun.

The PvP Battlegrounds are very fun... there are few maps but the Meta is deep and fun if you actually play at a competitive level.

Can still be a lot of fun to solo Q imo.

The WvWvW can be a zerg if you want it to be a zerg.  If your thing is open world small scale or solo PvP you can do it in WvWvW but you need to pick up the right class for it.

More mobile class make it possible if you are skilled enough. You can check this guy out as an exemple on youtube. Hes french tho and its an old vid but things didnt change all that much. Of course there was a lot of class balance since then but overall the experience is possible still.

/watch?v=kDAQ2RSQmkA

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Ringside

after a very very long break from GW2 ( only played a couple months at launch ) me and my wife recently got back into it and I have to say I realy dont remember why I quit... probably to go play WoW Cata when it launched and then forgot about it.

People say its a casual game because there are no end game Raids and because they say the World vs world vs world is only a big zerg...

To that I answer that there are harder dongeons and you need to be decent and have a good group . End game is an Economy game and not only a race for BiS. The cradting is deep and fun.

The PvP Battlegrounds are very fun... there are few maps but the Meta is deep and fun if you actually play at a competitive level.

The WvWvW can be a zerg if you want it to be a zerg.  If your thing is open world small scale or solo PvP you can do it in WvWvW but you need to pick up the right class for it.

More mobile class make it possible if you are skilled enough. You can check this guy out as an exemple on youtube. Hes french tho and its an old vid but things didnt change all that much. Of course there was a lot of class balance since then but overall the experience is possible still.

/watch?v=kDAQ2RSQmkA

You mean MoP (Panda Land)... Cata ended right around the release of GW2.  MoP released Sept 2012 and GW2 released August 2012.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

I somewhat agree with the OP. Me and my boyfriend play Gw2 for the amazing lore and stories and anxiously await November 4th release, we also PvP a lot in there, skirmishing mostly together.

While in the meantime we also play ArcheAge which we are both subscribed for and find tons of fun. Those two games are our MMO fix day in and day out. Beside Gw2 we used to play SWTOR but that quickly got replaced by AA. That new expansion sounds sexy though, we might check it out as well. 

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Originally posted by Ringside

/watch?v=kDAQ2RSQmkA

You mean MoP (Panda Land)... Cata ended right around the release of GW2.  MoP released Sept 2012 and GW2 released August 2012.

I didnt play Panda so I probably left to go play Darkfall Unholy Wars at that time. Anyway sure thing is that I just left for no good reason and im happy I decided to try and return to the game. I wanted to try Archage realy bad but unfortunately there are WAYYYYYYY to many cheaters, boters, teleport hackers and exploiters and this will not stop since the game is extremely easy to hack due to poor script design.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Naw, if a person really enjoys how WOW is designed, these two titles are far too different from it to make them happy.

These are better for a person tired of the standard theme park design and are looking for something that has a somewhat different bent to them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by kosac
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

So far A.A. is, imo, one of the better mmo games to play.....

,,,,,The other is GW2, which is F2P, and is even better imo.

[mod edit]

I'm sure he meant B2P, which is not that big of a difference in the grand scheme. Most here just know that and don't really need to make fun of others for the small mistake. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.