Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge vs Guild Wars 2

BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

This is weird, but with the recent releases, I have seemingly always gravitated back to Guild Wars 2.

I am pleasantly suprised at my satisfaction with ArcheAge,  but as I wait for Trion to get the ques and game stability under control, again I have found myself gravitating towards Guild Wars 2.

This happened with the launch of ESO (obvious reasons)  and Wildstar, the two other recent releases.

Anyone else killing time in Guild Wars 2 as they wait for ESO and Wildstar to go f2p and ArcheAge to get the game stability down and server que cleaned up? 

Comments

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I can't.

Played it the 2 years leading into AA but my bitter hatred towards ArenaNet prevents me from enjoying the game.

Recognize that it's a good game but it's run by a company that does not care about it's player base and very often spits in their face.

I think part of the reason I'm so patient with AA and Trion is because of how bad ArenaNet was/is.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    I can't.

Played it the 2 years leading into AA but my bitter hatred towards ArenaNet prevents me from enjoying the game.

Recognize that it's a good game but it's run by a company that does not care about it's player base and very often spits in their face.

I think part of the reason I'm so patient with AA and Trion is because of how bad ArenaNet was/is.

I also am in a spot where I feel ArenaNet has completely destroyed any confidence I had in them.  I do not know how the same team that previously seemed to be so full of good ideas and decisions ended up making GW2 seem so awful.

Maybe I just have rose tinted goggles for GW1, but it doesn't excuse that GW2 had nearly everything it needed to be amazing but somehow ANet dragged their own game down.  I would sooner walk barefoot on legos than trust ArenaNet again.

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    You only have to pay for gw2 once.  It's always my, "go to game".
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    im taking another break from GW2 until Anet resume the Living Story soon. Since launch i keep going back to GW2 no matter what other mmo i play. That is my home. Im also enjoying AA when i can log in, but the level of generic content outside of ships and trading routes (I havent reached that point in the game yet) just bore me to tears. So i probably will enjoy AA more when i finally get my own boat to wander as a pirate. One or two pieces of fun content is not enough for me to call a game home, so im sure i will still go back home to GW2 again.

• DiggotsILaggotsDiggotsILaggots Member Posts: 24
    I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online. Archeage is an okay game, but it's not an AAA title and it feels like a very unfinished game.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542

I played both and liked both. I still like gw2 better. Archeage presents its self as so freaking generic just like all other MMOs. But it has variety and freedom. The game trys to be "the game you only play all day" type of game with all of its features trying to cater to everyone. But will usually require you to invest a heavy amount of time to get to the "fun" stuff.

Gw2, on the other hand is much faster. You don't have to grind better armor and weapons for weeks to months at a time. Unless you want to. Its hella more skill based then gear based. There's no node greifing since everything is shared.

And then there's the Trinity system. Idk about you, but healer, tank, and DPs is boring and static. Ive fallen asleep playing games like that. Gw2 is wild and chaotic. Lot more fun and interesting. Archeage is still good if you've got the time. Since I don't always have the time, I avoid it till the weekend. All I want is quick PvP and dungeons.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by APThug

I played both and liked both. I still like gw2 better. Archeage presents its self as so freaking generic just like all other MMOs. But it has variety and freedom. The game trys to be "the game you only play all day" type of game with all of its features trying to cater to everyone. But will usually require you to invest a heavy amount of time to get to the "fun" stuff.

Gw2, on the other hand is much faster. You don't have to grind better armor and weapons for weeks to months at a time. Unless you want to. Its hella more skill based then gear based. There's no node greifing since everything is shared.

And then there's the Trinity system. Idk about you, but healer, tank, and DPs is boring and static. Ive fallen asleep playing games like that. Gw2 is wild and chaotic. Lot more fun and interesting. Archeage is still good if you've got the time. Since I don't always have the time, I avoid it till the weekend. All I want is quick PvP and dungeons.

All of what you said sums it for me too.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    No. Playing ESO at the moment.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

7k Hours logged in GW1 here. Back when you did not leave your game online when you went AFK.(Sometimes but not as often as today). 

GW2 was a pleasure and honestly the best leveling and fun I have had while leveling. It might of been the GW1 franchise blinding my eyes while leveling. But GW2 has turned into Gem Stores 2. When you let a economic change core systems and help design core game play you get a game like GW2. Constantly begs you to take a visit to their legal RMT ingame shop and put every cool skin added behind RNG RMT! 

I guess it would be ignorant to ask for a GW1 payment model, but in GW2 they have simply gone for the route to milk their players as much as possible while sacrificing a good game that could been great. 

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by DMKano

Apples and Oranges.

I prefer Oranges.

Regardless of whether or not they are similar games: they will be compared to one another.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Saur0n

And that is not enough to get me to play that game.  I don't play games for cost, I play for content, mechanics, and fun.  For me GW2 has none of that.  Enjoy it if you can.  But if you can't, without trying to luring unsuspecting gamers to their doom?  Then GW2 has become the EvE Online of its time, a cesspool filled with sirens. 

If you enjoy either of these games, then enjoy them.  Please leave everyone else alone.  If we are not playing your game, we probably wont enjoy it and you shouldn't want the community in your game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

...and you don't even have to pay in AA if you don't want to.

Your point?

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197

+1

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

+1ing again, I'm all trinitied out :p

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Battlerock
    This is weird, but with the recent releases, I have seemingly always gravitated back to Guild Wars 2. I am pleasantly suprised at my satisfaction with ArcheAge,  but as I wait for Trion to get the ques and game stability under control, again I have found myself gravitating towards Guild Wars 2. This happened with the launch of ESO (obvious reasons)  and Wildstar, the two other recent releases.  Anyone else killing time in Guild Wars 2 as they wait for ESO and Wildstar to go f2p and ArcheAge to get the game stability down and server que cleaned up? 

Im not some bunny hopping from mmo to mmo because i think the grass is green there.

Thats problem these days you guys are bored with mmo´s after week and hop on to next hype.

And then come to forums complaining why mmo´s going down hill lol.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I'll return there when they put out Elona and Cantha, otherwise until then screw those guys

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Konfess

Originally posted by Saur0n You only have to pay for gw2 once.  It's always my, "go to game".
    And that is not enough to get me to play that game.  I don't play games for cost, I play for content, mechanics, and fun.  For me GW2 has none of that.  Enjoy it if you can.  But if you can't, without trying to luring unsuspecting gamers to their doom?  Then GW2 has become the EvE Online of its time, a cesspool filled with sirens. 

If you enjoy either of these games, then enjoy them.  Please leave everyone else alone.  If we are not playing your game, we probably wont enjoy it and you shouldn't want the community in your game.

Why you lie?

You have never played Guild Wars 2 that's obvious, but coming to forums and spread lies about is sad:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Your point?

...and you don't have to pay in AA if you don't want to experience the full game.

I fixed it for you.

• HaffleheimHaffleheim Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I can't.

I'm new to GW2 and ArenaNet, so just curious, what really transpired or what have they done/not done that have irked the GW2 player base? 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Your point?

...and you don't have to pay in AA if you don't want to experience the full game.

I fixed it for you.

Please kindly shows us which part is inaccessible in AA without money.

PS: Here is a tip for you. Don't say housing, as patron status can be purchase with in APEX, which in turn can be paid for with in game gold.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Nothing much haffleheim appart from not releasing an expansion yet :) modern Internet culture where the self entitled are outraged at anything that doesn't fit in exactly with how they think a game should develop - they are basically glass half empty people.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Haffleheim
    I can't.

I'm new to GW2 and ArenaNet, so just curious, what really transpired or what have they done/not done that have irked the GW2 player base? 

Tbh Anet hasn't done much to deserve hatred. The only really dishonest things they've done are to not really expand much on the personal instance, and the implementation of ascended gear (which is a slightly higher tier of gear, power-wise). However almost noone cares bout the personal instance anyway, and the ascended gear is completely unnecessary for anyone who isn't into grinding fractal dungeons.

Really, most of the 'hate', comes from Anet trying to do things (experimenting), and being fairly transparent about it. Naturally people form their own expectations & opinions as to how those features will be implemented, and when their own personal expectations aren't met, they get upset.

Perhaps Anet's biggest problem is also one of the game's strengths. They like to experiment a lot. Which is a double-edged sword. On the one hand they are constantly going into the game and changing stuff. But on the other they might sometimes change aspects you wish they hadn't. I.E. The New Player Experience (NPE) that was recently added.

On the whole, GW2 is still one of the best MMOs on the market. And it's certainly the best value for your money. Most people into the game really just want a true expansion. Which Anet has been apprehensive towards, but every time the topic gets brought up they seem more open to doing one. Eventually I think they are going to have to release an expansion. Too many people want one.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Haffleheim
    I can't.

A good chunk of GW2 naysayers essentially come from "it's not GW1.5 and that automatically makes it bad" mindset.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.