Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why can't MMO's have graphics and gameplay like Shadows of Mordor

Can't believe they didn't even put in a co op mode....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by 64O0
    Can't believe they didn't even put in a co op mode....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'd buy it if they released co-op mode as DLC :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

Have the game love. The game and Co-OP would be amazing. 

As for a MMo that looks like Shadows of Mordor. for the most part I think its because MMo makers are going for the easy and cheaper development.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Have you seen the hardware requirements for texture quality settings? 6GB VRam for Ultra, 3GB for High. Medium is 2GB :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by 64O0

Not sure if serious,,,,,,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Ah yes, the obligatory "why can't MMOs have graphics and gameplay like XX" thread!

Always nice to see which new games are chosen for the coveted honor.

The answer?

Reasons. Good ones.

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

...for texture in ultra definition is suggested a video cards with 6 giga or more of vram...

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

The answer's fairly simple. In a single player game you can go all out on graphics. Reason being you only have to render that one character in the environment.

In order to render the number of players needed to actually be classed as an MMO you need to make a compromise somewhere. That means your graphics engine has to be able to cope with a large number of players all running around, spamming abilities, particle effects going off etc. End result is lower graphical fidelity of the players and environment OR rediculous minimum specs.

Seeing as MMO's are designed to have lots of players, it makes no sense to set your minimum hardware spec rediculously high, so you end up losing some eye candy to accomodate the numbers of players on screen.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The answer's fairly simple. In a single player game you can go all out on graphics. Reason being you only have to render that one character in the environment.

In order to render the number of players needed to actually be classed as an MMO you need to make a compromise somewhere. That means your graphics engine has to be able to cope with a large number of players all running around, spamming abilities, particle effects going off etc. End result is lower graphical fidelity of the players and environment OR rediculous minimum specs.

Seeing as MMO's are designed to have lots of players, it makes no sense to set your minimum hardware spec rediculously high, so you end up losing some eye candy to accomodate the numbers of players on screen.

Planetside 2 has really good graphics but did it and its coming out on a console too and its a sandbox on top of that

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Planetside 2 has really good graphics but did it and its coming out on a console too and its a sandbox on top of that

hardware / bandwidth limitations really... having thousands of people in world with such high resolution textures / models is not good for anyone. your best bet would be to go and do some research into the topic to see why MMOs are designed the way they are and can only handle so much.

Originally posted by mbrodie

hardware / bandwidth limitations really... having thousands of people in world with such high resolution textures / models is not good for anyone. your best bet would be to go and do some research into the topic to see why MMOs are designed the way they are and can only handle so much.

Planetside 2 refutes all those excuses from all that research

This is what I say to all that research https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULvukw1VFI

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

That is clearly not true in this instance. Presumably Shadows of Mordor was used for the comparison here because there are often many many Orcs on screen at once, and they are all graphically different (with procedurally generated appearances). It is clearly not only rendering that one character.

I think it is a little more subtle. The issue with a game like Shadows of Mordor being online is more due to network lag, rather than rendering. If all the orcs were controlled by players, their every move would have to be send back and forth to servers. And since timing is crucial in the game one would find that your well timed attacks and counters often failed due to lag. For the computer controlled orcs this isn't an issue since their actions are being processed locally, and even if it were an issue I am sure the programmers give the benefit of the doubt to Talion. After all, the orcs can't complain.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

They can.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

MMOs generally want to keep you playing for long periods of time to milk your wallet, but they also offer much entertainment value for your dollar if you enjoy them.. moreso than buying a single player game every week/month. They also have various  physical limitations with the more players that are supported on-screen and in-server at a time.

And we shall see how much entertainment Shadows of Mordor provides you after 60-70 hours of gameplay. Linear Single player games, are a burst of "Oooooo, Ahhhh!" and then you never play them again or at least wait many years before giving it another go.

MMOs are generally "Okay kind of cool... pretty bored now... wait I am actually learning how to play better... ok this is starting to get interesting... this is fantastic!.... i could play this for years....maybe not years but at least a few months... well that was fun but moving on....worst game I ever played" lol, that last one was a joke.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by mbrodie

Planetside 2 refutes all those excuses from all that research

This is what I say to all that research https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULvukw1VFI

And yet it looks nothing like the quality of Shadows Of Mordor. Not even close. That was what OP complaining about. He wants MMOS to have graphic quality same as SOM.

Originally posted by JDis25
    MMOs are generally "Okay kind of cool... pretty bored now... wait I am actually learning how to play better... ok this is starting to get interesting... this is fantastic!.... i could play this for years....maybe not years but at least a few months... well that was fun but moving on....worst game I ever played" lol, that last one was a joke.

Skyrim is a single player game and there are many people who have played that longer than most of the mmos thats been coming out.  Like over thousands of hours of gameplay.  If you comes to this website, you see people complaining and quit an mmo within a week or two but usually less than a month.  And Skyrim has simpler style of gameplay too yet its addicting.

And again if planetside 2 can have up to 2000 player massive battles in a sandbox with those graphics than there is no excuse for other developers cant do it.  Plus that game is also coming out on a console.

And there are clearly lots of PC gamers asking for high end graphics otherwise Chris Roberts wouldnt be banking right now with star citizen.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

And yet it looks nothing like the quality of Shadows Of Mordor. Not even close. That was what OP complaining about. He wants MMOS to have graphic quality same as SOM.

Its close enough yet all other developers dont even get close to this with their games

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

I really hope you were joking... 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Its close enough yet all other developers dont even get close to this with their games

Umm nope not close enough to what OP was asking. Yes it looks good for a MMO which lets you do large scale PVP but still eons away from graphic quality of single player games.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Bannuk

I really hope you were joking... 

Someone is either confused about their definitions or they've been on the whacky baccy. A sandbox, seriously? It's a big frakkin PvP map, that doesn't make a sandbox. There's only one thing to do in PS2, shoot people. That doesn't make a sandbox. You need a lot more options to your gameplay in order to be a sandbox, and when I say options I'm not talking about which weapons you're going to equip.

As far as the topic goes, I've played PS2 and when you get enough players on screen you start to get screen lag, because the Forglight engine is too ambitious for a MMO. Eye candy or numbers, you can't have both and PS2 proves it. Unles you happen to be running a very high spec PC. This is something SOE have done before, with SWG and EQ2, they future proof their graphics engines by making the highest settings so high you have to run a monster PC to use them. As people upgrade their hardware they become more accessible. When you consider that MMO's are supposed to be played long term it kind of makes sense.

And I wouldn't go boasting about consoles just yet, not until we see the graphics and FPS they can achieve on that platform, and how many players they have connected in game together.

• gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66
    There is an overwhelming amount of technological stupidity all over me now from reading this thread.  Some of you should be ashamed of your sheer lack of tech common sense.  I must clean myself of this filth.
  • Tenebrys22Tenebrys22 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Because the gameplay is terrible
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Much like it's predecessor, there's a lot that Planetside's engine offloads on to the user. It's not all done by the engine (This is why a good CPU is needed). Let's also not forget that PS2 takes a lot to run at ultra settings AND it can look pretty horrible at low settings. There is still a lot of things missing that other games have, but aren't necessarily needed in an FPS.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    AMD ATI Toyshop

This demo was uploaded in 2007.  It was running on an ATI x1800 graphics card with 256MB of memory.  There is stuff in this video that you'd be hard pressed to find even in a single player game today.  It's because they were able to control every aspect of the rendering and display, and they were able to optimize everything that happened.  Changing one thing, like allowing the camera to be controlled by the person running the demo would have increased the complexity and probably would have made the demo non-functional.  Going from a demo with no surprises to a single player game increases complexity, so the graphics suffer.  Going from a single player game to a massively multiplayer game increases the complexity, so the graphics suffer.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by JDis25

Skyrim is a single player game and there are many people who have played that longer than most of the mmos thats been coming out.  Like over thousands of hours of gameplay.  If you comes to this website, you see people complaining and quit an mmo within a week or two but usually less than a month.  And Skyrim has simpler style of gameplay too yet its addicting.

And again if planetside 2 can have up to 2000 player massive battles in a sandbox with those graphics than there is no excuse for other developers cant do it.  Plus that game is also coming out on a console.

And there are clearly lots of PC gamers asking for high end graphics otherwise Chris Roberts wouldnt be banking right now with star citizen.

Skyrim is extremely open world and detailed and my favorite single player experience of all time. I was refering to most Linear single player games, which shadows or morodor is or at least in part is a Linear game. It has some open-world aspects though. GTA5 is another exception.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile