Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Killed The Secret World

Comments

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Another_Fan
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

Its the price to pay for not paying attention and reading the skills to make them meld together.  but I'm used to and like this type of gaming...Anarchy Online was my first and still favorite MMO and if you think TSW is unforgiving, you haven't seen anything.

Is that what it is ?

So your position is it isn't the game

It isn't any of the numerous problems the OP compiled from people relating their experience in this thread

It's stupid players that can't appreciate the game ?

huh?  now I'm lost...I was explaining to you my appeal for it.  I also think it's a part of the RPG genre that is not in other genres.  There are SEVERAL RPG's I can remember starting over because I screwed up my build.  Fallout 1 and 2, Torment, FFVII and FFVIII....the list goes on.  

That's why it's really funny that some talk down on this approach but want to play MMORPG's...why not just go play a MOBA or CoD? 

Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    The title of this thread got me wondering, since I beat the game so thoroughly, did I actually kill the secret world.  :)

I think you might have... :P

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The game does have it's moments, but I think we can all agree here that it didn't reach even close to the playerbase size and success that people and funcom were expecting. The biggest mistake IMO was having the questing and storyline as the foundation of the game. Not that I have anything against that, but they put too much of their focus on the story, that all other parts of the game are lacking in features. Essentially the game feels empty and abandoned after the storyline is finished. There is nothing going on, just a bunch of players sitting in agartha looking for dungeon runs. The ingame world just doesn't feel lively enough because there are almost no open world activities in the game at all, other than the christmas/anniversary zone bosses. It doesn't feel like a living world, it feels like a lobby for people who are waiting to enter some instance (dungeon, pvp, scenario etc)

This feeling of emptiness has made me quit the game multiple times. Outside of questing there is very little, if anything going on in the gameworld, it just feels like an empty shell. Finishing the story is comparable to finishing the story in GTA - you can still roam the world, but don't expect any content at all. Funcom obviously realised that so they made it possible to repeat most quests in the game, but that isn't really a long-lasting solution.

The community is also 90% made up of people who are doing the story, and a few veterans amongst all the newbs. There are 0 active youtube channels covering this game. Compare this to games like runescape, which has hundreds of active youtubers, some of who have 100k+ subscribers just from making RS vids and nothing else. Part of this reason is that there is nothing to cover in this game. Yes you can make videos of builds, but there is no risk, no secrets, no exciting pvp, no super-hard content.

Things like pvp ladders, full loot pvp zones, survival modes, world events etc etc could go a long way in making the endgame community more active. Overall the main reason why this game has mediocre success is because it fails miserably at keeping people playing after the storyline.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

3 thing killed it for me

combat , animations (looks worse than some random chinese fp2 ._.) , and not on my language, i understand english, played lots of mmorpgs on english , but TSW is special in that regard and any1 that played know why.

so i left the game after playing for a while tried to comeback but wasnt having fun

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Amazing ideas, but the game is wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too small and environmental scaling is horrid.

Joined - July 2004

• NemeisMercNemeisMerc Member Posts: 36

I hear some people talking about the combat wheel and it makes me laugh.  The difference between Hammer/Chaos and Hammer/Sword is GIGANTIC and this is from personal experience.  Anyone that hasn't gotten to at least Egypt shouldn't really comment on the wheel because they haven't been victim to their own bad decisions until then.  

I have seen you repeatedly defend the game, usually with statements that have less substance than the above, The problem is anyone who has actually played the game knows exactly how at odds with the reality of the game they are.

The game rubs your face in it's shortcomings every time you move up a zone.  LOOK ! ! ! at the transitions

1 Kingsmouth -> Savage Coast: You wind up getting owned endlessly by BUGS! not to mention the story quest makes it clear you aren't even toilet paper stuck to Gaia's shoes. Whats the overall effect ? Go back to kingsmouth rinse repeat what you have already done to come up with AP and gear to make a viable build. At least when I leveled up PvP was still viable as a bypass but with Fusang rendered into a recreation of WWI trench warfare thats closed off.

2. Savage Coast -> Blue Mountain: LOL It spawns you at a Lair entrance. I'll bet the developers had a good drunken laugh at that. For those not in the know, Lairs have nightmare + mobs that even players with maxed out wheels and the best gear likely can't deal with. It usually takes full groups. Or there is the road that puts you into the middle of an endless spawn of zombies.  

3. Solomon Island -> Egypt: Nobody wants to go to Egypt period. You wind up arms deep in mobs and unable to move without engaging in endless combat. Luckily if you have friends who will help out, you can skip Egypt and come back to it later. If you can't get a little twinking and powerleveling be prepared for pain.

4. Egypt -> Transylvania: If you made it through Egypt to Transylvania you actually get a little reward of some very nice content that you can probably handle. Right up to the point where you start getting heal on glance mobs. At which point it's back to endless repetition to get your glyph stats right.

Toss in things like the Decks Funcom provides as templates being complete rubbish and you have a recipe for a very very frustrating experience for most people.

My Cabal Mates used to joke that the bugs in the game were actually what allowed it to be enjoyable. Things like being able to run Tyler Freeborn without doing any fighting, The bugs in Nightmare Dungeons that allowed  you to do months and months of grinding in a few evenings. Then there was the original state of the wheel which had considerably more usable builds and allowed much more substition of knowledge of game mechanics for actual gear. All of that was ripped bloody and screaming from the game. The game that is left is like "It's a small world after all with zombies"

Interesting, 

If I read you right, you're saying that the games story line isn't compatible with the grind and repeat mechanics ? I can see that, after all how many times can you find out the cleaning lady is a spy, rescue Danny's model plane for him, or solve mystery X. Once you have done it, you have done it repeating to gain points, is like reading the same chapter in a book over and over again.

I'll add this to the list 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Skuall

3 thing killed it for me

combat , animations (looks worse than some random chinese fp2 ._.) , and not on my language, i understand english, played lots of mmorpgs on english , but TSW is special in that regard and any1 that played know why.

so i left the game after playing for a while tried to comeback but wasnt having fun

hehe... TSW uses proper English, no wonder it is going to irritate so many people. TSW writers are amazing and really did a great job with stories and dialogues. 

TSW actually made me look up words in dictionary and i thought my English is excellent.

Interesting, 

If I read you right, you're saying that the games story line isn't compatible with the grind and repeat mechanics ? I can see that, after all how many times can you find out the cleaning lady is a spy, rescue Danny's model plane for him, or solve mystery X. Once you have done it, you have done it repeating to gain points, is like reading the same chapter in a book over and over again.

I think he was saying that he made a really poor build and couldn't hack the content cuz it was too hard...did I miss something??

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    This thread is sounding more and more like let's nitpick the entire game in the hope's people will quit playing and it'll shut down. Simple solution if you don't like the game don't play it and ignore the post's about it.

Interesting, 

I think he was saying that he made a really poor build and couldn't hack the content cuz it was too hard...did I miss something??

Yes, quite a bit.

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228
    Only thing i do not like in TSW is the combat and that it almost always has to be in melee range....well that kinda kills the feel of rifle play as mobs are always in my face......

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48

ROFL

At some point I must have figured out the game

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7546121@N08/12647344684/

Seeing as before I stopped playing I was in the top 100 on the pvp charts, and one of the wealthiest, best equipped players in the game.

Something for you to think about, The people that dislike the game might just understand it a little better than you. I know hard for you to believe isn't it.

• 430005430005 Member Posts: 52

Please do quote me...we are on topic.  Im proving it hasnt failed.

TSW is one of the better games that has come out in the past 10 years. 

Fanboi much? Your idiotic lines made me post in this thread. Funcom can be defended, but only if you take a realistic view it is an average game with a few highlights and a few mishaps.

Again, lots of the same content doesn't mean diverse content...without a trinity there is a complete lack of strategy and furthermore, identity between 2 toons...they are all blasters trying to zerg the next zergfest.  The most dynamic part of GW2 is the platform gaming that was inserted.  There is no RPG to it.  Please don't come at it with all the "Awards" GW2 got from different MMO sites that need a fundraiser...

But, i must stop feeding the troll now, sorry

Dude, just stay on topic, please. You cant make TSW better then GW2. It has nothing to do with taste. GW2 is just a better game overall. Every race has a different CITY with enough story different from every race's perspective.

Some bosses have tacitcs that need to be followed or its a total wipe. You can do a worldboss each 15 minutes in GW2 and find DOUBLE the players teaming to kill something you can only find at the NY raid in TSW or 2x a year.

Please don't come at it with all the "Awards" GW2 got from different MMO sites that need a fundraiser...

But, i must stop feeding the troll now, sorry

GW2 was awareded best game of 2012 by IGN, Gamespot and TIME to name a few. What did TSW win in 2012? A reduction of Funcom staff by 50% because TSW did so great?

You are the only troll in this thread and damaging to TSW's defense in this argument. Leave it to other people who actually come up with good bullits, please.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

My definition of "killed game" is:

"No threads are made anymore claiming the game is dead."

WoW died before it launched, and had been dying every day since.

ROFL

Seeing as before I stopped playing I was in the top 100 on the pvp charts, and one of the wealthiest, best equipped players in the game.

Something for you to think about, The people that dislike the game might just understand it a little better than you. I know hard for you to believe isn't it.

awesome for you...and I didnt say that people dont like the game because of it's difficulty, I am saying your rant states that the game is too difficult and that everytime you go to a new zone your build is garbage...Im just translating what Im reading.  

So with your top 100 pvp rating and awesome gear, why are you complaining about the difficulty level of the game?

• 430005430005 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Bjelar

"No threads are made anymore claiming the game is dead."

Id have to agree TSW isnt dead. There are still enough folks in TSW to enjoy the game properly if you do some effort searching the forum for an active guild or find the proper channels. Or use Agartha for pugs. It's a shame you have to, though.

That one dude showing off his 1b pax might have known a lot about TSW as a game but even he left. I know a lot of vets who have. So at endgame, ya, it has some issues with retention.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It's a very simple answer.

It was originally made as a COOP singleplayer game, and it shows.

All the best and interesting bits are done in instances or with small groups.

All the "MMO" elements are half assed garbage.

Funcom had an abysmal reputation coming off of AoC, so not a lot tried TSW. Those that did, either burned through the small amount of interesting singleplayer content, and like a singleplayer game, quit, or they hit the boring MMO elements, and quit.

If this game was FTP from the start, or sole like GW2, it would have done way better. BUt people don't pay monthly fees for singleplayer games (SWTOR).

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

So the point of the OP is to...well, what exactly? Compile a definitive list of why TSW Is Dead And Here's The Proof And I Made It Easy For You To Reject It?

Or is it more like, RIP TSW, and here's some crowdsourced hindsight so Funcom "can learn something"?

What killed TSW? How do you even define that? I can make a list for every MMO ever released about its problems. So we are talking about financial success? Game population? Overall popularity? Many posters have stated they enjoyed the game but eventually left for reason X. And yet TSW remains in the top 20 rated games on some sites (like MMORPG.) But no one argues it's a huge financial success or has millions of players like WoW.

So TSW is dead because OP has reminded us "the numbers don't lie." Fine, it's dead, the links are posted and now the big community list of Why It's Bad is nicely integrated into the list. Who is the audience?

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48

ROFL

awesome for you...and I didnt say that people dont like the game because of it's difficulty, I am saying your rant states that the game is too difficult and that everytime you go to a new zone your build is garbage...Im just translating what Im reading.  

So with your top 100 pvp rating and awesome gear, why are you complaining about the difficulty level of the game?

You really need to stop being so defensive and actually read and think about what is being said.

Just because something is obviously poorly done such as Egypt, a feature even people in maxed out gear avoid because it's combat every step of the way. Doesn't mean it's too "Hard". Hard can be fun or it can be just plain annoying. The Machine Tyrant is fun and hard. Egypt is neither hard nor fun just annoying. Hell Fallen is both hard and annoying, nobody likes praying that bugs won't destroy your run after putting in a few hours.

Obviously bad features are still obviously bad features.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by 430005

I have seen you repeatedly defend the game, usually with statements that have less substance than the above,

Just keep to facts and dont pay attention to troll fanboi posts. Some bits and pieces in this thread  are worth a good discussion. You're talking to a guy who called TSW best game/MMO ever and GW2 trash :)

I just logged in again in GW2 and its a breeze of fresh air compared to TSW. Oh, OP, this is another one for your list. The Events/World bosses are NOT enjoyable and only meant as a tool to get you doing lairs.

<snip>

Because there's absolutely nothing trollish about coming over from the GW2 forums to the TSW forums, creating a thread called "What Killed The Secret World," filling it with a specious list of Things You Don't Like, and then proceeding to list why GW2 is so much better.  ;)

Originally posted by Ortwig

I have seen you repeatedly defend the game, usually with statements that have less substance than the above,

Just keep to facts and dont pay attention to troll fanboi posts. Some bits and pieces in this thread  are worth a good discussion. You're talking to a guy who called TSW best game/MMO ever and GW2 trash :)

I just logged in again in GW2 and its a breeze of fresh air compared to TSW. Oh, OP, this is another one for your list. The Events/World bosses are NOT enjoyable and only meant as a tool to get you doing lairs.

Because there's absolutely nothing trollish about coming over from the GW2 forums to the TSW forums, creating a thread called "What Killed The Secret World," filling it with a specious list of Things You Don't Like, and then proceeding to list why GW2 is so much better.  ;)

Pardon me ? 

I am not now nor have I ever been a GW2 player. 

Also the "List of specious things" only the first 6 were mine, the rest were culled from comments of people in this thread.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by NemeisMerc

Pardon me ? 

I am not now nor have I ever been a GW2 player. 

Also the "List of specious things" only the first 6 were mine, the rest were culled from comments of people in this thread.

I note that you aren't making a list of the positive comments about the game in this same thread.  But, no, you aren't doing a pros and cons here are you?  What are you doing here, actually?

You really need to stop being so defensive and actually read and think about what is being said.

Just because something is obviously poorly done such as Egypt, a feature even people in maxed out gear avoid because it's combat every step of the way. Doesn't mean it's too "Hard". Hard can be fun or it can be just plain annoying. The Machine Tyrant is fun and hard. Egypt is neither hard nor fun just annoying. Hell Fallen is both hard and annoying, nobody likes praying that bugs won't destroy your run after putting in a few hours.

Obviously bad features are still obviously bad features.

Im not being defensive...Im telling you in the plainest English I can find in my vocabulary that Egypt really wasn't that hard or annoying.  Are there mobs spawning and running toward the city over and over again..yes, is it by design, yes.  Does it make sense, yes.  Is it annoying to some people, maybe, wasn't to me.

Also, to minimilize Egypt to one small section of it is kinda disingenuous.  Egypt is actually my favorite area and an extremely enjoyable experience, especially the 2nd area, but you then continued to go after Trans for having mobs that react differently to abilities that use to help people kill mobs...now it doesnt...but you can click on the mob to find out what their powers are, so it's not rocket science. 

What's so funny is that people complain all the time that AI in games is terrible and needs to be better...In an RPG, mobs are made harder by having resilience to certain skills, better defense, incredibly strong magic spells...that's what's done in The Secret World and it's done better than most games....yet nothing but complaints that mobs are "annoying" because they cause a challenge for the player.

Am I a fanboy for Funcom...yup and proud of it...do you have to take anything I say seriously...nope, but this is my explanation and I dont water it down and I am more than happy to go into as much detail as you'd like.

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    I've recently resubbed because the Missions and Story alone are better than ANY game out there right now. I finally found the right build and having no problem at all through Kingsmouth and Savage Coast. Rank 4 Dragon. I'm having a blast and am also guild leader of Obsidian Coven on Leviathan (Dragon Faction). Feel free to send Phayyd a message for a guild invite =) Every Dragon is welcome =)

I note that you aren't making a list of the positive comments about the game in this same thread.  But, no, you aren't doing a pros and cons here are you?  What are you doing here, actually?

I am making a list of the problems that destroyed The Secret World. 

This is spelled out exactly in the title and the first post.

This discussion has been closed.