Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Design Producer Stephen Frost Announces Departure

13»

Comments

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    while it has potential. Me and my wife bought it and played until lvl 30. But found it quickly dropped off with population making dungeons hard to get into. While the game is fun in some regard, we both found it hard after a while to keep "focused" on the game. Just didn't engage us. The combat system was hectic and "frantic" often felt high strung movement to it where you were constantly having to move, like a kid hopped up on sugar, but not in any necessary or tactical manner that was beneficial for you as a player. Like they did it just to feel and play different but felt a bit forced and unnecessary. Also, the performance issues with thayd and the game when traveling in certain areas. But again, I think it has potential, carbine just has to tool the game a bit more and come up with some refinements that everyone can be engaged in.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Gave up on this game in the beta.... Combat is a nauseating mess of telegraph spamming and you're constantly staring at the floor 80% of the time spent playing while you meander around cramped zones that make you feel claustrophobic. All this adds up to lack luster PvE that gives you a headache and PvP that is the biggest joke in the recent mmo memory. Before launch, as usual in the mmo industry, the devs and staff were all transparent and excited to interact and the hype was huge. No everyone's quit the game, content being cancelled, and apparently now the staff is fleeing as well. Somehow it's almost even worse than the GW2 post-launch in terms of public image.
  • FusjonFusjon Member Posts: 3
    One thing I didn't like was that they replaced "the healer UI mini game" with "the healer UI mini game and the simultaneous avoid the shapes mini game" 
  • zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69
    The problem with this game?  Not enough casual content.  When they designed this game, they stuck with their guns of making 'vanilla wow in all of its head against the wall content' but the MMO player base has changed drastically over the past 10+ years.  Now, players want to enjoy games, not see rage quit on a massive scale like WS offers anytime you enter a dungeon with randoms.  Keep sticking with your guns WS and see where that gets ya.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Almost forgot bout wildstar, thought it would be gone by now

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

It is a shame, the game definitely had potential, just they made too many wrong decisions. I hope WS can recover under a new DP.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I keep seeing people say, "This game had potential, but..." What potential? This game had zero potential. Explain to me where you guys saw 'potential' in this game.

You guys are seriously delusional. The best thing this game ever did was hopefully slap some sense into game developers to stop regurgitating generic back into our faces. We don't need more 'wow' clones.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by omidus
    Originally posted by goozmania

It failed because of the combat system. It is really that simple. Action combat does not work in MMO's where equipment and community are important.

You're right, 20+ macros for different target frames and 30+ buttons on all your action bars is exactly how you should play a game. 

Action combat is what MMO needs to become more exciting; but no one can do it right so far. That is the difference. 

No one doing it right yet versus action combat done right. Sorry you had to aim to get your buttons to be effective versus spamming a button.

Equipment / community works the same regardless of how the combat system works; you need to stop making stuff up just because it sounds "smart": which it really didn't.

I don't agree.  There is an audience for action combat, but there is also an audience for slower paced, avatar based combat as well.  Lets face it, when you put emphasis on twitch skills, you HAVE to remove influences like gear and stats to compensate.  Which is another thing us old time RPGers really like.  The problem lately is that every MMORPG coming out lately has embraced twitch combat and there aren't enough gamers who like that sort of thing to occupy them all and keep them healthy.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Action combat can really screw over the balance of an MMO because those that are good at action-combat can inherently farm things that those that aren't good at it can't, which is a balancing nightmare for a developer when trying to manage other aspects of an MMO like the economic aspect and the "need to socialize" aspect.  Balancing an MMO economy and finding that sweet spot for solo-ers and community is hard enough without having to worry about some people being able to pwnzerize your high end content (and, if applicable, PvP) and all the loot it offers even without good gear because they're awesome at action combat while others don't have a prayer no matter how good their gear is because they aren't.

Futhermore, a large factor to a theme park's success is keeping that carrot on a stick dangling.  And again, it's a nightmare to find that sweet spot when those that are good at action combat will swipe that carrot potentially too early and thus quit because there's no more carrot to keep them going, while those that are bad at it will find the carrot waaaay too out of reach and quit because they realize they'll never get it. (or sometimes, you just get one or the other.  Wildstar seems to mostly be the latter)

Originally posted by Coated

I keep seeing people say, "This game had potential, but..." What potential? This game had zero potential. Explain to me where you guys saw 'potential' in this game.

You guys are seriously delusional. The best thing this game ever did was hopefully slap some sense into game developers to stop regurgitating generic back into our faces. We don't need more 'wow' clones.

1. It had members from the original Blizzard Entertainment which made WoW pretty successful

2. SciFi setting mmorpg (even though we don't really have one unless you like SWtOR)

3. Housing system which I believe is pretty good since you can craft as well on your land and expand.

4. Pretty big Open World that felt continuous.

5. Nostalgia of a WoW vanilla feel.

Anyways here is pretty much a review on what one reviewer posted.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/7/5879017/wildstar-review-pc

It all looked great on paper, but that's about it.

I tinkered in WS with a guild, but the game never grasped me, to many things going on and being being forced onto you is what I experienced.

Maybe to you personally the game didn't have potential, but to a certain base of players, it did.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

lack of interesting class to play , all sounded like fun but in the end "meh".

telegraphs everywhere.....im not enjoying the zones and the graphics if my camera is pointing the ground 90% of the time....sometimes u dont even see how the mobs look...

FPS drops ....pvp unplayable for me, play on low or dont bother queuing. /sigh

combat was limited and boring, same happened to me in ESO, i dont want 40skills like eq2 but come on....felt so crippled byt only few skills.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

The game is circling the drain, and the man most to credit (blame?) for the design gets another job immediately...

...and people wonder what is wrong with the repetitive, derivative mmo industry.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by omidus
    Originally posted by goozmania

It failed because of the combat system. It is really that simple. Action combat does not work in MMO's where equipment and community are important.

You're right, 20+ macros for different target frames and 30+ buttons on all your action bars is exactly how you should play a game. 

Action combat is what MMO needs to become more exciting; but no one can do it right so far. That is the difference. 

No one doing it right yet versus action combat done right. Sorry you had to aim to get your buttons to be effective versus spamming a button.

Equipment / community works the same regardless of how the combat system works; you need to stop making stuff up just because it sounds "smart": which it really didn't.

DCUO did action combat pretty much spot on.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Shodanas

NCSoft has the funds. 

But not the good enough reasons to take such a big risk. For NC this is just one game. For SE when FFXIV failed they were in big crap. After XIII and XIV the FF name took a huge hit and SE was in trouble. They had no choice but to bring back FF to its past glory and save the company.

NCsoft? Meh who cares. Just slap a cash shop at it and see if they can milk some more. 

Originally posted by Edli
    Originally posted by Shodanas

NCSoft has the funds. 

But not the good enough reasons to take such a big risk. For NC this is just one game. For SE when FFXIV failed they were in big crap. After XIII and XIV the FF name took a huge hit and SE was in trouble. They had no choice but to bring back FF to its past glory and save the company.

NCsoft? Meh who cares. Just slap a cash shop at it and see if they can milk some more. 

This should work, however if I was them, I would offer both F2P and P2P subscription.