Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Meet Erin Loelius, the 2014 SOE G.I.R.L. Scholarship Winner

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment gives a great scholarship to one person per year. This year, Erin Loelius earned the scholarship and a ten week internship with SOE. We had the opportunity to interview Erin to what her thoughts are about gaming and making games.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Meet Erin Loelius, the 2014 SOE G.I.R.L. Scholarship Winner.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I skimmed through the whole thing. I really just wanted to know if Erin was a girl or a G.I.R.L. lol
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Blaedus
    I skimmed through the whole thing. I really just wanted to know if Erin was a girl or a G.I.R.L. lol

She's both. If you're familiar with the program, G.I.R.L. in this instance stands for Gamers In Real Life.

<3

• tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73

Gamers in real life. Gamers play fantasy.

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

She's both. If you're familiar with the program, G.I.R.L. in this instance stands for Gamers In Real Life.

Oh ok. No, I wasn't aware of what the term G.I.R.L. meant in this particular instance. Thank you for clearing it up for me
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Oh ok. No, I wasn't aware of what the term G.I.R.L. meant in this particular instance. Thank you for clearing it up for me

You are probably more familiar with the G.I.R.L definition in relation to MMO's where it stands for 'Guy In Real Life' and is often associated with male players with female avatars. The other is really just a 'monicker' that is associated with SOE, though its kind of funny and i do wonder how many other people thought perhaps the 'winner' might have had chest hair and possibly a mustache image

• Peer_GyntPeer_Gynt Member UncommonPosts: 79
    So one female a year? Great! That means in just 10,000 more years the industry might see some kind of gender parity. Huzzah!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Peer_Gynt
    So one female a year? Great! That means in just 10,000 more years the industry might see some kind of gender parity. Huzzah!

But, women already enjoy a huge advantage at university in the US.  No need to wait 10,000 years.  They already have a huge advantage.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

As a white male I am tired of being overlooked for everything!!

/sarcasm

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Woman face some problems, but honestly it's not as bad as it is portrayed. Try being openly gay 5 feet and looking like you're 13-17 when you're almost 22... Extremely hard to get a job for me. But congratulations to Erin for winning :)

Smile

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Ohh, I didnt know they wernt allowed to apply for a job in the games industry, I though discrimination, even gender discrimination, was illegal in the US?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Peer_GyntPeer_Gynt Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Hokie

Ohh, I didnt know they wernt allowed to apply for a job in the games industry, I though discrimination, even gender discrimination, was illegal in the US?

My point was while this is great and all for Erin Loelius, I feel this is a token gesture which is going to help SOE's public image a fuck load more than its going to help fix gender disparity. And at the same time I actually feel this is more than a bit condescending towards women.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Hokie

My point was while this is great and all for Erin Loelius, I feel this is a token gesture which is going to help SOE's public image a fuck load more than its going to help fix gender disparity. And at the same time I actually feel this is more than a bit condescending towards women.

Another way to look at it is that it is possible to create a symbol for people to look up to, and inspire them to do things that would otherwise not happen without the symbols and the belief that what they want to do is impossible.  The token gesture doesn't just affect one person per year, as a symbol it impacts many people, year after year.  The token gesture is a way to change how people think.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RosierapRosierap Member Posts: 1

G.I.R.L scholarships are open to anyone who wishes to apply. Yes this includes men. If you feel that its unfair, I suggest you apply next year. The talent level of applicants is supreme.

This program is very mutually beneficial, and allows aspiring, talented students to work in the industry and see what it's like. Maybe feel inspired and have fun. Its so easy to be cynical, its much harder to be as talented as Erin. That requires total dedication and a huge amount of hard work. 

Source: I was Erin's mentor in this program and I've done this a long-assed time

TLDR: no drama here. 

• BrasseBrasse Member UncommonPosts: 3

Brasse here from SOE, and just ta clarify a wee bit...

Tha term G.I.R.L. stands fer "Gamers in Real Life," and while we encourage gals in gaming as they are underrepresented (can't argue it, this is a simple an' well documented fact), tha scholarship is open ta ALL genders!

We have people of tha gentlemanly persuasion apply every year, together with tha lasses.

Guys, gals, in-betweens and other… I can certainly say that SOE as a whole is pretty darn gender agnostic.

Makes me a happy Dwarf!

www.thebrasse.com

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Brasse

Tha term G.I.R.L. stands fer "Gamers in Real Life," and while we encourage gals in gaming as they are underrepresented (can't argue it, this is a simple an' well documented fact), tha scholarship is open ta ALL genders!

We have people of tha gentlemanly persuasion apply every year, together with tha lasses.

Guys, gals, in-betweens and other… I can certainly say that SOE as a whole is pretty darn gender agnostic.

Makes me a happy Dwarf!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MokkoMokko Member UncommonPosts: 2

Makes me a happy Dwarf!

Good mornin' to you me lady. Good ta see you chiming in on some of the responses wit the folks here n' lettin them know it's fer all folks that can make it and find some inspiration towards a future in their likin'. Tis a great honor to be selected by you gracious folk and be spending sum time wiff yas. I can't wait to be seein what you have for us next time. Thanks you all for your hard work and makin this here program available for the like and sharing it.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Rosierap

G.I.R.L scholarships are open to anyone who wishes to apply. Yes this includes men. If you feel that its unfair, I suggest you apply next year. The talent level of applicants is supreme.

This program is very mutually beneficial, and allows aspiring, talented students to work in the industry and see what it's like. Maybe feel inspired and have fun. Its so easy to be cynical, its much harder to be as talented as Erin. That requires total dedication and a huge amount of hard work. 

Source: I was Erin's mentor in this program and I've done this a long-assed time

TLDR: no drama here. 

Rosie came and put them in their place :)

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Makes me a happy Dwarf!

And, out of 7 contests, how many men have won?

The answer.  Zero.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.