Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG gamers migrating to other genres...

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Not really "migrating", as I have played all kinds of games previous to MMOs. My path just does not wander down the MMO path very much anymore.

That may change when the definition of MMO is further broadened (as seen in the trend of my websites).

Personally i play games that is fun to me, and not any specific genre. It just happens that because of whatever reasons, more games i enjoy are called MMO, and hence I "returned".

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I started playing video games long before there was anything that resembled an MMO.  I've always enjoyed a variety of game genres the same way I enjoy different types of movies/TV/books/magazines etc. So, definitely no "migrating" for me.

I will say that for me and my RL/online friends, the interest in MMOs has most certainly dwindled as the majority of us do not enjoy what most of them have become. If it wasn't for EVE, I wouldn't know anyone that even played an MMO at this time. Go back 5 or 6 years ago and that's a completely different story.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

I went back to wow after 6 years. And i still play the f2p base game of Anarchy online. Other mmo's the new ones seem to be all hype and nothing new. Also playing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2.  I think when it comes to mmo's i'm all set. I think the genre is stuck in a rut and won't get out of it for a long time. So i'm just sticking with my favorite 2 mmo's. Its tough on mmo veterans. Been playing them since 99/2000. It would take alot to make me think a new game is different. I've tried most of them and find they are are really the same with maybe a gimmick thrown in. When i talk to my guild in AO, they all feel the same as i do. And are even sorry for wasting time and money on these new mmo's. The basic of every mmo will always be the same. Go kill stuff or retrieve something over and over so you level up and do it again. I wish mmo sites like this could be more critical of the genre but understand that they can't. They have to make a living.

I like this video.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I play EVE.  I think going forward I will pretty much always play EVE, as it is one of the last bastions of old school MMORPG.

Perhaps one of the newer indy titles will break into the big time, if so I'll be checking them out.

Outside of that, when my favorite DAOC freeshard comes back online I'll return for that 2003- SI experience.

Yeah, there are other genre's of games, I don't enjoy them, they've changed too much from what I enjoyed back in the day as well. (where the hell is my graph paper?) Now they all tell stories and stuff..... though I hear WL2 might be something I'll enjoy so I'll likely give that a go.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Lets see my most memorable gaming moments this year that I remember at the top of my head: Hmm... Err... Hold on it'll come to me soon... Hmm... Hurr... Just a sec... Durr...

Well I did play CoH2 with the new armies pretty hardcore for two weeks or so, and then more casually a month or two. Other than that, there was the generic MMORPG launch of ESO where I never finished even the main story. I think I participated in some other MMO launch too but cant remember which game it was. Some open betas too but restrained my self from buying the games.

Was D3 expansion released this year or late last year? I'm not sure but it took only few days of casual play to finish the original story + new story with brand new Crusader, it was fun, but not worth the price tag.

Other than those moments, I fired up a ton of old games just to realize after a couple of hours or minutes play that yes, I was done with those games and they were not interesting again.

I've always played a bit of this and a bit of that, mostly MMORPG's, RPG's, and RTS games though. Lately I havent found much to play in any of those genres or any other. Feels like the gaming industry currently can provide me with around 2-3 months of interesting games to play a year and the rest of the time is waiting.

I love games like Mass Effect, but I only play them through once, and after a couple of years a second time, there's only so much a single player game can provide. Few weeks more if they have some addictive multiplayer grind like ME3.

I do love gaming still, there's just so few games that really make me feel excited and sucks me in. Everything is standard, and new features that I keep waiting for in games are never there.

Dragon Age 3 cannot come soon enough!

• SzczepanXSzczepanX Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I left the mmorpg genre too, currently for arpgs, playing Marvel Heroes. Got no time for mmorpg, anything than full commitment is half assed.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I agree with an earlier reply that it is mostly the acidic communities.  If I can't seem to fall in with a moderate sized guild  that has some social good folks that like to play the game, then I move on to another guild or another game.  I think the reason I'm so fond of the time I spent playing Minecraft, which is one of my first major moves from MMORPG's when gaming on my pc, is due to the awesome server I randomly fond of about twenty active adults with careers who liked the game and were social.  I think mmorpg's need to get less-massive to find the community and fun we really want.  I also agree we shouldn't limit ourselves.  Play the demos and alphas of all genres, even if you don't think you will like it at first, you might be surprised

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Originally posted by Kyleran

Yeah, there are other genre's of games, I don't enjoy them, they've changed too much from what I enjoyed back in the day as well. (where the hell is my graph paper?) Now they all tell stories and stuff..... though I hear WL2 might be something I'll enjoy so I'll likely give that a go.

That is just easy mode tedious work (yes, i remember using graph paper to map Might & Magic, the first one).

I am glad those days are over.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Ah I remember drawing a map for an old spectrum game called Bloodwych, and dhsovering with horror that parts of the nap rotated :) good times but things have moved on not to mention that worlds are larger and more complex now.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Honestly I am thinking of going back to single or co-op rpgs until mmo developers get their shit together and stop treating online role playing games like unregulated gambling or 1 or 2 of the indie mmorpgs show promise as they near release.

If Pathfinder ends up being fun and truly brings back the feel of a D&D/old school mmo regardless if it doesn't look all shiny and new. RPG playstyle combined with old school mmo community interaction is all I require ... and what is missing with more of today's mmos.

You stay sassy!

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by Hariken

Watch this video. If you don't get it, then you have no idea what a mmorpg is. I did not play swg but other mmorpgs, but the message is exactly the same.

The last new mmorpg was made over a decade ago. Migrating to other genres.. If you played any new mmo labelled game the last ten years, you are already playing a new genre.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I switched from MMO's to MOBA's.  I'd like to come back to MMO's, but no games out in the past 5 years (or probably the next 5) that interest me.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I still play MMOs, but the last few weeks have I been playing Age of Wonders 3 with friends online, amazingly fun if you like turn based strategy like Heroes and Warlords.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Not intentionally, I generally don't play mmos w/o the RPG. Planetside 2 was an exception. At the sametime I've spent the last week playing a little indie named Robocraft;  it's scratching my instant action itch.

My want for instant action got me to thinking do I need all the stuff that comes along with traditional mmorpgs? Stuff like the questing, leveling, and crafting. At this point I don't think I do.

Let me use ESO for an example. Just give me a max level toon and  some skill points. Let me gain more skill point through battle. That's all I would need. When more mmos start to go this route I could certainly see them siphoning off mmorpg pvprs.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by ikcin
    Today MMORPGs are boring, stupid and easy RPGs with some multiplayer. And in fact RPGs are far better. For example compare TESO and Skyrim. Without any doubt Skyrim is the better game. To call games like GW2, TESO and WildStar MMORPGs is even wrong, because they are not. Any game, where the player play in competition and cooperation with NPCs, instead of other players is not MMORPG. That is why players go to games where they can play with other players, like Mobas, or if they like solo, they play RPGs. ArcheAge is the first game from years, which can be called MMORPG, but it is not good enough. But from Korea and Russia are coming better games like Black Desert Online and SkyForge. From the West are comming EverQuest Next and Star Citizens, so maybe the wave will turn back.

Just broaden the definition of MMORPG (which many sites are doing anyway), and then you may have some better games being included.

Personally, i play games that are fun to me, and whether it is classified as a MMO is irrelevant (to me).

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    a game hasn't held my interest for months let alone years since the heyday of runescape (2004ish).  I'm not even sure if it was the game or the people that I happened to be playing with. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't migrate anywhere i simply look for a quality game or a game in development that shows some quality.I have been playing  every genre since many many years ago,likely before most even had a PC.Wolfenstein was one of my first games,i played a few others before that but it goes back to around 1980,mmorpg's did not exist back then ,just muds with a few players.

The ONLY genre i don't like and i doubt it will ever be made to my satisfaction and that is MOBA's LOL's type games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Personally for me it is not really the games I find uninteresting anymore, it is the people playing them.

I think I would rather play games by myself now than deal with antisocials and people with short attention spans.

I think this is what is killing MMO's faster than you can say permadeath.

Us

Well going back to the ONLY true mmorpg ..FFXI,the whole game was based on social and grouping,so you knew almost every single player there wanted to be social.

Now every single game is made to solo with only bits of end game raiding to follow,that is not a true mmorpg.The fact that the ONLY part of the modern games `Raiding``that is popular ,proves players do want to group and take down tough foes.So i have no idea why devs are making such poor quality `wannabe mmorpg`s`.

Well i think i do actually know,they feel to make such a quality game needs a sub fee and then your potential market is much smaller so it is a high risk that nobody right now is willing to take.So if nobody is willing to risk a triple A TRUE mmorpg,your not going to get any games to play with longevity in mind.Instead we have seen the same trend over and over,players running the course of the leveling then move on to another game,that is really superficial reasons to play a video game,just for the levels.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well going back to the ONLY true mmorpg ..FFXI,the whole game was based on social and grouping,so you knew almost every single player there wanted to be social.

nah .. i don't play games because they are "true" mmorpgs. I play games which are fun to me, and most "true" mmorpgs are not that fun to me anyway.

• ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Unfortunately I've began looking elsewhere too. I've been playing MMOs since UO and recently after trying ESO and Archeage I've decided to take a break from MMOs until EQN. I can only hope it will rejuvenate me.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Frankly, playing most modern MMOs feels like a completely different genre from what I'm used to. WildStar, modern WoW, Rift, FFXIV:RAR... in none of them does the world actually feel open, even if mechanically it is. I can't quite put my finger on why, but maybe it's the big focus on minigames and linear questing.
    Originally posted by Kuviski
    Frankly, playing most modern MMOs feels like a completely different genre from what I'm used to. WildStar, modern WoW, Rift, FFXIV:RAR... in none of them does the world actually feel open, even if mechanically it is. I can't quite put my finger on why, but maybe it's the big focus on minigames and linear questing.

Yes, the genre has migrated from more a world sim to more game-like.

• See what real RPG games really are, play a MUD:

http://wiki.lostsouls.org/Main_Page

Me, I am playing various other real RPGs like Divinity OS and Wasteland2.

The fact is MMORPGs are bad RPGs who have nothing except power left to them and power gaming gets old.  Even the orignal MMORPGs were poor RPGs compared to the MUDs they decended from, and the trend has only become more pronounced over the years even worse they are completely formulaic, even the skill based ones all do skills the same.

That MUD I linked I used to play in the mid to late 90s. They have radically changed the game since then, although I still recognize a number of things.  They aren't afraid to try stuff because they got no reason to be afraid. 

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308

I left all mmorpg for Destiny which is not considered a mmorpg in here but i care less what genre Destiny is as it is providing me with a lot of fun and keep wanting to play more and more.

Been playing since day 1 for 8-12 hours a day and have not played any mmorpg lately with such addiction.

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by gestalt11

See what real RPG games really are, play a MUD:

http://wiki.lostsouls.org/Main_Page

Me, I am playing various other real RPGs like Divinity OS and Wasteland2.

The fact is MMORPGs are bad RPGs who have nothing except power left to them and power gaming gets old.  Even the orignal MMORPGs were poor RPGs compared to the MUDs they decended from, and the trend has only become more pronounced over the years even worse they are completely formulaic, even the skill based ones all do skills the same.

That MUD I linked I used to play in the mid to late 90s. They have radically changed the game since then, although I still recognize a number of things.  They aren't afraid to try stuff because they got no reason to be afraid. 

This in a nutshell...but I still think that some MMO's did capture the spirit of the RPG even if just a little bit.  I WISH that every developer would look to have MMORPG's resemble good RPG's, but instead they are calling a non-RPG an MMORPG.  Makes no sense.  

Wasteland 2 is quickly becoming one of my alltime favorites next to Fallout 1, 2 and Torment