Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your dream sandbox based on a popular IP

grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

(There was a thread similar to this before but I believe it asked for the MMO Reboot of a popular IP which is a bit different).

What would be your dream sandbox MMORPG?

I think for me it would be based off of the PNP The Morrow Project http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrow_Project.  I remember the best roleplaying experiences with this game along with a constant fear for survival.

A runner up would be a true GTA Sandbox MMO where you could do everything within one of their chosen cities.

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

If I only get one I would choose Traveller. The game would have to be able to have procedurally generated worlds and populations, but with the economic features as well as space combat and all that.  Would be awesome. Especially if you could do speculative trading like in the PnP rules.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

My dream sandbox would be mechanics copied from EVE Online (with exception of combat), plus either:

• Witcher IP (where nobody can be witcher)
    • or World of Darkness (it would be fun if players couldnt be vampires)
    Both could be pvp focused, hardcore sandbox games, with territory control (it would fit WoD so fcking well), player driven economy and stuff.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Though it not ready popular ip and not ready sandbox but i like to have Overlord - Online (O-O). lol.

Start with some goblin , raise your army build your castle , raid village and city ... kidnap women and have wifes ... 

Enslave some village , throw them in mine or on field .

Oh , and raid other overlord's castle

Treasure ....treasure ... women .... and kicking some goblin jester.

Collect all the treasure , be Overlord of the Overlords

Tired of be hero , be Overlord .

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    A game like Diablo 3. Wait .. that is not a sandbox .. oh i forget i don't even like sandbox.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Game of thrones
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Game of thrones

Yes, yes, and more yes.  

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

Mass Effect all the way.  Would be awesome to be able to work for a corporation on a distant planet doing dangerous research or become a space pirate.  I don't have a lot of confidence in EA running it though.  

Mount & Blade sandbox mmo would be a ton of fun. Build up your own village with npc followers & real players or build your own castle and become lord. 

I agree with you on a true GTA Sandbox. Had so much fun playing with friends in the console online version which was pretty restricted. Imagine playing with even more freedom to shape the landscape.

• creadoskcreadosk Member UncommonPosts: 12
    GI Joe with pvp crafting  base assaults and it must be skill points based so you can mix and match ninja tree's vs demolition ranger etc trees.  Almost like SWG was.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Archlyte

If I only get one I would choose Traveller. The game would have to be able to have procedurally generated worlds and populations, but with the economic features as well as space combat and all that.  Would be awesome. Especially if you could do speculative trading like in the PnP rules.

Can you die during character gen in teh MMO as well?

I throw my 2 cents in for Mad Max/ Road Warrior IP

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    A true Shadowrun sandbox.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Archlyte

Traveller?  Is that a book or movie or?

Originally posted by zzax

My dream sandbox would be mechanics copied from EVE Online (with exception of combat), plus:

• Witcher IP (where nobody can be witcher)
    • World of Darkness (it would be fun if players couldnt be vampires)
    Both could be pvp focused, hardcore sandbox games, with territory control (it would fit WoD so fcking well), player driven economy and stuff.

So would you say the IP would be WoD set in a Witcher theme?  Totally with you for the WoD.  Huge fan of the RPG.

Originally posted by iixviiiix

Though it not ready popular ip and not ready sandbox but i like to have Overlord - Online (O-O). lol.

Start with some goblin , raise your army build your castle , raid village and city ... kidnap women and have wifes ... 

Enslave some village , throw them in mine or on field .

Oh , and raid other overlord's castle

Treasure ....treasure ... women .... and kicking some goblin jester.

Collect all the treasure , be Overlord of the Overlords

Tired of be hero , be Overlord .

Is OverLord a game or ?

Originally posted by Varex12
    Game of thrones

Yes, yes, and more yes.  

One more yes.  But sometimes when I play ESO I pretend it's in the GoT world.

Originally posted by Gundric

Mass Effect all the way.  Would be awesome to be able to work for a corporation on a distant planet doing dangerous research or become a space pirate.  I don't have a lot of confidence in EA running it though.  

Mount & Blade sandbox mmo would be a ton of fun. Build up your own village with npc followers & real players or build your own castle and become lord. 

I agree with you on a true GTA Sandbox. Had so much fun playing with friends in the console online version which was pretty restricted. Imagine playing with even more freedom to shape the landscape.

I think Rockstar would be sitting on a massive hit if they did it and did it right.

But from what I've been told from a past insider is Rockstar has a stronge distaste for the PC.

Edit: Sorry for the numerous quotes. Does anyone know how to multiquote?

Edit 2:  Nevermind just figured it out.  Sorry!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    A huge sandbox game that does the LotR IP justice. And by huge i mean huge...as in huuuuuge!

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by apocoluster

I throw my 2 cents in for Mad Max/ Road Warrior IP

That would be so awesome, I would also like a Mass Effect sandbox to play in.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

Wheel of Time. Like Game of Thrones, the world is well established and documented.

Each race/faction has their own starting zones/small towns. Magic, warriors, farmers, merchants, dungeon delves, horrible places like the Wastes, The Ways. Fantastical creatures. You name it they pretty much have it.

Throw in an NPC "Dragon" that causes events around the world and bam, awesome game. Players can follow the dragon, or another faction. Make it a multi faction game, not just two, not even just 3, make those factions semi fluid. Unless you're a White cloak, or an Aes Sedia, Male Asha'man, Follower of a Dragon or False Dragon. Give the world plenty of PVE zones to appease the PVE crowd, give famous battle sites in the books a PVP focus.

Let er rip.

• Tenebrys22Tenebrys22 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Wheel of Time or Middle Earth sandbox would be nice.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Game of thrones

Yes, yes, and more yes.  

You want to play in one of the story heaviest settings minus the story? Because that's what you generally get with "true" sandboxes" where everything is "player driven".

There's not a single known IP that I'd want as a sandbox, since the reason those IPs are loved are because of their great stories. Something which would get stripped away with a sandbox and just be left as a hollow shell. (Unless we're talking "Sankpark" - which would have more merits)

Give me an original IP any day when it comes to sandboxes. If you want to feel like you're shaping the world up around you, you may as well do it with something that's closer to an actual blank slate.

Something like the Repopulation, where the world pretty much went to hell and its up to you to rebuild it would be a good setting for sandboxes. Or like ArcheAge, where you've just landed on a new world after the old one went boom.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    While I agree that I'd rather have a new IP than an existing one, I think The Matrix could lend itself really well to a sandbox-style world.

<3

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by grimal

So would you say the IP would be WoD set in a Witcher theme?

EVE mechanics + Witcher IP or EVE mechanics + WoD IP

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Warhammer 40K.

But I don't just want soldiers, I want the full monty:-

• Galactic Fleets
    • Titans
    • Full Armies with vehicles, heavy artillery
    • Special infantry from the IP
    • Tons of varied worlds and systems for a Crusade to take place etc
    • All Factions
    • Loads of different objectives and internecine battles.
  • Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Definitely Game of Thrones.

Other picks:

The Witcher

Lord of The Rings

Not really an IP but I think an NHL MMO sandbox would be awesome. I have no idea how it would work, though.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by grimal
    Game of thrones

Yes, yes, and more yes.  

One more yes.  But sometimes when I play ESO I pretend it's in the GoT world.

Lmao I do the same thing. Especially in PvP.