Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want to get into alpha/beta, or wait ?

SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

I'm sold on this game pretty much already. The last video with the A.I in depth, well that was just a sweet confirmation of what I thought they were doing. It looks great.

Are you going to try and get into alpha/beta, or are you going to wait ?

Personally I feel that beta's are great to an extent , but you are going to repeat content regardless when the game goes gold.

The only video game (more like virtual world) I care about right now is EQN, I could care less about anything else. What I play these days are simple time fillers. I'll try and play h1z1, maybe the odd game here or there but the only game I see myself getting lost in and immersed is EQN.

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

Alpha for sure. I'll buy whatever the most expensive "founder's pack" is too. 

EQN is my last stab at staying with the MMO genre so I may as well go out in style...

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I will try to get in Alpha or Beta but I am not going to pay for anything in order to get in.  If that is how they do it then they won't get my money. 

I am not going to pay them to help debug their game.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Having paid to get into the beta (or was it alpha?) for Landmark, I won't be dropping any money on this until I've had the opportunity to play it for free.
  • movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I loved EQ1 and have never found a game close to it. They just need to redo that game and everyone will be happy. So many different classes that had to have the other classes grouped in order to beat the dungeons or whatever made us have to group up and socialize. Games these days are to solable. Sony just redo the old EQ with ESO graphics and stop making all these crap games. Stick with what worked!!! And yes, im not playing this !@#$%^&*()
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Darwa
    Having paid to get into the beta (or was it alpha?) for Landmark, I won't be dropping any money on this until I've had the opportunity to play it for free.

^^ Ditto.  I played Landmark Alpha..briefly..and got a refund.  I'll just wait until it's actually released.  I have All Access, so EQN is covered under the umbrella of that.  Who knows, maybe All Access will allow me to play a smidge earlier.  Either way, I'm done with companies milking their customers at the earliest opportunity of playability.  Such a piss-poor trend, but $$ talks and everyone is doing it now.  I guess I'm just not that desperate to play a bug-ridden, 1/2 done mess.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    People paying more than a full AAA game costs to get into early stage games is detrimental to the genre, in my opinion. It is why Incomplete or broken MMOs are releasing every month, and will continue to do so, until gamers decide that they will stop buying incomplete products for more than a complete product goes for.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    They should sell alpha for $150, that seems like the sweet spot.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I bought the landmark pack, I'll jump at the EQNext pack when it's offered. If it's 150 bucks though, I may wait. Can't see paying that much for a video game.
  • xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Sure am with limitations.  I played many betas before hard core and once the game came out I less interest.  I am truly excited, but keep that when it is actually available to play.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Maybe? I did buy the alpha pack for Landmark, partly to get in to play but also to support the idea of a medium for player generated content. I've already gotten my moneies worth out of it so I imagine EQN would be no different.

But...

Unless SoE is hosting alpha and beta on another mock world I may wait. I don't want to ruin the story since it will progress day by day from day one. I don't want to know what will happen for the next couple months after launch.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't do alphas or betas anymore, there's really no point for me. If it's a box game I probably wont buy it day one anyway and will only play if some of my friends are going to. 

If it's f2p I'll try it after launch and decide then if I want to sub or spend money and keep playing. A beta really just eats away at the time I'll spend in a game nowadays.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I really want to play the beta, but I also really want to play a game that works.....

I am excited and lazy at the same time......

Would I pay to play in the beta? I don't know. I would like to sit here and be all... No way!!  but......

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Time was when getting into what they call alpha these days required a dedication to actually test the thing and a reputation from other such testings or a significant amount of luck.  Getting in at least a year before release is when you actually can make some difference.  Paying for previews is a whole different kettle of fish.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Waiting.  I prefer to have my first impression to be that of the finished product.
  • BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62
    Wait, and I will wait until way after release hiccups for me to verify this is a game I want to play. I remember when alphas and betas were about having been willing to actually test and report things in an effort to fix the bugs. It was not about how many $'s you can give in order to just have the glory of saying "I was there first" and not help with any testing and thus allow a product that is inferior be released because it hasn't had the actual testers in there. I wish marketing would get out of what is being done and allow the programmers to make a game that is worth while.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'll jump in with the alpha

but my expectations are LOW  (primarily due to action combat)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Waiting to see how it all turns out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I will be waiting until 1-2 months after official release. This has served me well on not having buyer's remorse or supporting a product I dislike. I lose nothing by waiting, yet I gain quite a bit.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Based on experience with Landmark Alpha I might get into EQN alpha if I have the extra time. Probably I will wait for beta when its closer to a fun game than a lot of WIP stuff. When it's at official launch its going to be great...but that will be 1-2years away most like.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

If there is an open or free beta, I'll probably try it out, but no way I'm paying for alpha/beta access. I'll admit it, I totally use beta access as a free trial (but I do at least submit feedback into the great black hole that it always seems to go to).

I tried out EQL on one of the alpha key handouts here - wasn't terribly impressed with it, but that kind of game isn't really my cup of tea anyway (and it ran like crap on my machine). But EQN will be an entirely different animal, I'd be willing to give it a shot if a free shot came my way.

I'm keeping my eye on it (as a one-time avid and still casual EQ1 player), but I've not jumped on the hype train. Smedley has a bad habit of overhype and underdeliver.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I would love to get into the alpha... but I would not pay for it (never have). I don't mind paying for collector editions, but those seem to have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I personally enjoy alpha/betas. It's fun to see games take shape, and to see things that developers experiment with along the way that wind up getting canned. I rarely put in huge hours during them though.