Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: State of the Game: Rewarding Loyalty

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When players support your game in its pimply, awkward, squeeky-voice stage, you reward them appropriately when the cocoon bursts open to reveal a beautiful butterfly. But what you never, ever do is later offer those early founder's rewards in the cash shop for a few extra bucks. It's just not worth it. Betraying loyalty like that is a sure-fire way to lose the respect of those people who would probably still play your game after the tourists have come and gone.

Read more of Shawn Schuster's State of the Game: Rewarding Loyalty.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

TRION has made a few mistakes with Loyalty rewards in both Rift and AA. In Rift, it was using Loyalty mount skins. In AA it was the starter packs. Both situations fueled a lot of rage on the forums and reddit, though in AA's case it just added to all the other things players were raging about after a very rough launch.

Rift's mounts were reskinned and players received an apology. In AA, those starter packs are still in the store but the latest wave of rage has moved on to bots and chat spam... (lol)

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546

Great article.. I believe many games are having a hard time with the Patron or loyalty program, there really isn't enough to draw a person to spend the money without really knowing what they are getting into. 

Of course Archeage was the exception to the rule because everyone wanted in early and founders packs were awesome, or so we thought. But the bust came when the game opened and there are so many Patron members that were not getting to experience a lot of really enjoyable things in game because things were not controlled properly. I cant count how many time I have read " I want my $150 back". What good is having Patron status to build things and having no land to build it on?

I think the only way to build Loyalty for a game is to just keep the subscription method, if people really like the game they will pay the cost, there are numerous F2P trolls in all of the new games and its really not helping the experience.

How many WOW players come back to subscription everytime an expansion is released, that is loyalty...

Just my opinion :)

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Why is it that companies like Trion are so bad at building loyalty and even making simple business decisions.  In AA the land is all gone, how many new players will pay a sub without land?  It was a simple fix, limit the amount people could get at the start.  They didnt do this and now some people are sitting on 8 properties while others drop their sub fee becuase they cant place a simple 8x8 farm. 

With a game like AA and the amount of servers they have, it is not out of the realm of possibilities that 10,000 people might decide not to sub because they can not own land.  That amounts to almost 2 million dollars a year in lost revenue.  If I was a shareholder, I would be pretty upset.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

I remain a loyal customer when I get the product that I was promised. I feel no loyalty towards companies that think I can show my loyalty by paying extra money for stuff that should have been in the game.

The very idea of loyalty token to buy things in the loyalty store sounds ugly to me. Money and loyalty has nothing to do with one another.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    What game is that second picture from?

Smile

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I must admit, I'm astonished by some of the things game companies are doing.  Archeage charging LP's to report bots that you may not get back.  ESO stating that if you submit a ticket they have the right to not let you know the results.  Customer service?  And the recent trend of porting console games to pc that sometimes play like an afterthought.

For customer loyalty, STO gave out decent ships.  Marvel Heroes gives out tons of stuff in general.  TSW has nice gear.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ArcaneEyesArcaneEyes Member UncommonPosts: 22

DISCLAIMER: I don't know how archeage works, this is merely a comment on the authors statement that maybe it is ok to sell game-altering stuff to founders.

The whole F2P model is going haywire, little by little.

everyone started off hating B2W, but nowadays apparently it's ok to do it as long as you do it only for the founders, or as long as it's "sidegrades", like the new WH40K-mmo that's in the works?

are. you. fucking. kidding. me!?

The whole idea of F2P is that it gets a chance to prove it is fun before you buy into it, not to let you buy increments of fun-ness (B2W).

LoL does it well, with a nice balance between time it takes to earn a champion and lets you pay hard cash for skins or unlock champions for cash, while Runes are strictly earned by playing. If we look at PlanetSide2 though, the sheer amount of time it takes to grind cert points for an AA or anti-tank rocketlauncher for your heavy is just mindnumbing - personally i ended up cashing in, 'cause i wanted that power when i was with my guild, but i've done it that one time, thought on it hard, and you won't see me doing it again - i'll find something else to entertain me rather than get forced to B2W in a model like that.

Imagine then, if only founders had access to the AA rocketlauncher, and rethink the statement that game-altering perks are ok for founders.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Rewarding loyalty. My favorite system, hands down, is the SWTOR Legacy system. I love how every toon within your faction can contribute to add Legacy points, how they can be used for buffs for all toons within your faction, the large variety of Legacy benefits that you can get and so many other cool things. I like it so much that I have returned to SWTOR full time from WOW.