Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best Occam's razor explanation for Titan

1. August 2nd, 2013, EQ Next revealed.

2. Blizzard's team all watched it together in a conference room. Titan died instantly before the show was over and someone was fired.

3. The next day, August 3rd 2013, the new secret project began: Clone EQ Next, but make it even better, a la Wow>EQ2.

4. Obviously, Blizzard must save face and cannot reveal that they're copycats, so they decided to pretend that Titan was still going on for another year and then pretended to end it at that time to throw everyone off.

In my opinion, it's the best explanation. Titan is still being developed and it will either be World of Warcraft Next, or Worlds of Starcraft Next.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Im hoping its more of a World of Starcraft Next, doesnt have to be starcraft just sci-fi
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Pretty sure Blizzard laughed with the rest of the world when EQnext was shown.
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by ClippersNBA

4. Obviously, Blizzard must save face and cannot reveal that they're copycats, so they decided to pretend that Titan was still going on for another year and then pretended to end it at that time to throw everyone off.

One problem with this one. There's a recent article somewhere (might have been the one where they announced titan was being canceled) where they (Blizzard) flat out said Blizzard's success is taking what other people started and making it better.

As far as the rest of it goes... All I'd say is that whether or not you like EQN, SOE is raising the bar for MMOs with several of the EQN features (dynamic world, story bricks, no quest hubs, "real" change, etc). If they can even halfway pull off what they're talking about then I can't see another truly successful MMO without all of the promised EQN features. It's entirely possible that Blizzard realized the same thing and that killed their "passion" for Titan.

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152

Here's another thing to think about:  Activision acquired independence from vivendi.  Prior to this, wow was (as stated by the devs) going to end at level 100.  Now, the devs say they have 10 years of expansions planned for world of warcraft.

I do sympathize with the notion that eqn caused titan to go through a revamp.  The timing was just so close.  eqn got announced, almost immediately afterwards, titan was announced to be undergoing a revamp and a reinvisioning.  This is after a dev said there was a playable internal version of titan.  

I doubt it lead directly to titans downfall, but I do think blizzard realized that games like hearthstone - taking almost no development resources - can be enormously lucrative.  why spend hundreds of millions on a game that is too likely to be a dud given the state of mmos these days when you can spend almost nothing and make a ton of money.

As for the guy who said the world laughed when eqn was announced.... you're probably more interested in graphics than core gameplay mechanics.  While eqn graphically is unimpressive, the concepts behind it are quite interesting. Though they may fail horridly at making them reality, but when the game was announced with its feature set no dev would look at the feature listing and laugh.  The ideas are a step towards something different in mmos.  Again, they might not implement them right, but there's no way to know that yet - and especially no way to know at announcement.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    My personal theory is that it was very, very similar to Destiny, and they pulled the plug after Destiny's less than stellar reception.

<3

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

OP, if I could put a "dislike" on this thread, I would. And somebody should Gibbs-slap you.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ClippersNBAClippersNBA Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by DMKano
    "wasn't focused - was going into too many directions at once - it got scrapped."

I don't believe that for a second, not with this billion dollar company; all that experience; all those resources; all that time. That pathetic explanation is not the simplest because I can hardly make myself believe it. I think the simplest explanation is what is constantly demonstrated by Blizzard and that is to copy, copy, copy. But hey, I don't mind their methods if they deliver a good product, and they usually do.

Originally posted by Utinni
    Pretty sure Blizzard laughed with the rest of the world when EQnext was shown.

If they laughed, it was from glee over SOE laying out the blueprints for their next blockbuster.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

If that's what you believe is the simplest explanation you need more experience.

The simplest explanation is they didn't they would be able to make a profit and/or recoup their investment with what they had. So they cut their losses.

It happens in business frequently.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

2. Blizzard's team all watched it together in a conference room. Titan died instantly before the show was over and someone was fired.

3. The next day, August 3rd 2013, the new secret project began: Clone EQ Next, but make it even better, a la Wow>EQ2.

In my opinion, it's the best explanation. Titan is still being developed and it will either be World of Warcraft Next, or Worlds of Starcraft Next.

While I don't think this is EXACTLY what happened, it's probably close.

Anyone that has payed any attention knows that Blizzard doesn't know how to design MMOs on their own. They haven't released an original game with an original feature in almost a decade.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

No sorry there is only one reason:

1. Blizzard announces a project called Titan, then Microsoft released a game call "Titanfall" to put a hex on them. And they did fall.

Hex Worked.

Story end image

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    I would guess Titan was another personal-storyline, linear, quest hub type of game, and the enthusiasm of EQ Next's open world approach made them rethink things a bit.

I don't think EQN had anything to do with it but, I agree the project was probably more themepark focused and they knew it wasn't going to be another wow.

When you're sitting on top you can always pass off the critics as " the end is near " types. People mostly just laugh at the Blizzard can't make games people....how can you not when they all do so well. But if they actually launch a bomb the shine would come off in a hurry and they wouldn't be so " prefect" anymore.

If it really was going to be a "wow clone" they made a smart move scrapping it.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

OP it looks like you don't know what Occam's razor is. It's a principle that when there are alternative explanations, you should choose the one that requires least assumptions.

In this case a person using Occam's razor might end up with explanation like "Titan was cancelled because it was not fun".

Inventing complex explanations like the one you invented in your OP when a simple explanation is available is the opposite of using Occam's razor.

Originally posted by Vrika

OP it looks like you don't know what Occam's razor is. It's a principle that when there are alternative explanations, you should choose the one that requires least assumptions.

In this case a person using Occam's razor might end up with explanation like "Titan was cancelled because it was not fun".

Inventing complex explanations like the one you invented in your OP when a simple explanation is available is the opposite of using Occam's razor.

This thread isn't really about Occam's razor, so I think you've missed the point entirely.

Secondly, the simplest explanation supported by common sense and reason, also demonstration, has nothing to do with how many words I have chosen to describe it with. I could have said "Titan was not canceled, just revised", which is a shorter sentence than your explanation, so I guess that means that I won.

See? Now we're talking about Occam's razor instead of the topic. Don't do that again.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

The simplest explanation is that it did not meet the quality the company strives for, as they announced.  It simply wasn't good enough to continue with or compete in the developing mmo market.  That would be the Occam's Razor explanation.  

That aside, I expect to see a Star Craft mmo.  It would ape the success of WOW.   

This discussion has been closed.