Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I havn't been this un excited for a game in a long time when I feel like I should be

BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
I didn't think the graphics would bother me, I thought I was all for action combat in mmorpgs, but Wildstar basically showed me that I don't know what I want. I'm afraid that EQ Next is just a sandpark version of Wildstar. Can this game really live up ?

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think your entire question is do people think EQN will live up to the vision of it you have in your mind.  We all have a vision of how the game should be and so do the devs.  Good luck on getting those visions to match up.  If their priorities are the same as yours then things might work out. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    They made ai sound like it was going to be smarter than Einstein and that players would have the ability to change the landscape, those are bonuses,  however action combat doesn't seem to work, and I'm already tired of looking at the graphics and I've only seen a couple hours of Landmark and about a day or two's worth of ps2, it's just to washed looking for me.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    It looks awful. It's so so disappointing but man, it just looks like a lumpy cartoony flashy place where bunny hopping is the sign of true warrior.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I'm a bit of an artist and when I make something sometimes it looks nothing like what I originally intended.  I get new ideas along the way that take me in different directions.  MMO's are the same, you never really know what you're get until you get it.  Even then it's still in a process of change and growth. 

I've sorta given up on Sony.  Things they do for money have made me take a step back from them. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    The only thing EQN has to live up to is it's own hype and I have serious doubts that it will. I would hold off on even setting any expectations until you see actual gameplay close to release rather than basing it from the hot air bloviation of car salesmen hucksters like Dave Georgeson.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

The problem is we don't have a clue how eqnext is going to be like. Its all just words, fancy ideas, promises and we have seen no proof of anything real. On top of that SoE is not exactly the most trustworthy game developer, they have often said things they could not live up to.

So here we are, two years later, and the last time we saw something substantial was when we were presented with the lion king gameplay video.. Isnt that a year ago already? The latest constructed combat video at the fanfaire didnt really show anything usable.. If anything, it hinted at crappy combat, but like with everything else, its too early to say.

With their management of Landmark I am starting to have doubts SoE has seen the light, and if Smedley has alot of influence on the actual game, the boat is sure to steer directly towards the reef.

SoE need to come out of the bushes real soon and show some proof of their eqnext claims.

• BreshaBresha Member Posts: 65

I'd say an MMO these days has a higher rate of being mediocre, to outright sucking than it being able to justify ones pre release excitement/expectations.

So yes,I wouldnt get my hopes up.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I'll get excited when i see a video of group play and how classes interact with each other.  I'm tired of seeing short clips of 1 class killing a normal exp mob in a couple hits.  This goes for all MMO's.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Wildstar made you question if you like action combat ? That was not action combat it was a lame attempt to appeal to everyone like the rest of the game.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I didn't think the graphics would bother me, I thought I was all for action combat in mmorpgs, but Wildstar basically showed me that I don't know what I want. I'm afraid that EQ Next is just a sandpark version of Wildstar. Can this game really live up ?

To call Wildstar's combvat action is a travesty the good name that is action combat.  To check really good combat that utilizes the Action (reticule or not) combat model see Tera, Neverwinter or single player games like Darksiders or Dark Souls.  GW2 and Wildstar use a system that spits in the face of reason.  Although GW2's is much better it's still Tab Target on steroids....But the Wildstar use of telegraphs is insanely over the top and gaudy.

We no so little about EQN but I think, if they fulfill their promise will create an amazing MMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    I think your entire question is do people think EQN will live up to the vision of it you have in your mind.  We all have a vision of how the game should be and so do the devs.  Good luck on getting those visions to match up.  If their priorities are the same as yours then things might work out. 

This is why I say its a good idea for people to avoid the forum and media hype of MMOs they may be interested in looking into.

Notice I dont really post here much. Cant be disappointed with something I was never hyped up over to start with

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Battlerock

At least you are honest with yourself. Most people don't know what they actually want.

Noone knows how EQN will be in the end. But in all honestly graphics will be the least of all problems. Because if a game is actually good it does not matter how it looks.. exactly the same the other way around.. a game with superior graphics still sucks if the game sucks.. you will have a few Ohhhs and Ahhhs the first few day, and install it a week later.. because noone plays a game because of the graphics. Graphic only matters if you have two games exactly the same one with better graphics as the other.. and even then.

And from everything i have heard and read from EQN.. it will everything, but like Wildstar. And about Wildstar.. you can really love action combat.. but if everything you do with it is boring, how can then the action combat alone be any interesting? And action combat != action combat.. and i don't know how the combat in EQN will be or even how the combat in Landmark is, and i don't care a lot about it yet.

I will play EQN when it is finished, and then i will decide if i like it, if i will play it any decent time or not. Up to now you can only collect some impressions, which are all not worth a lot... as with every game in development.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Actually i am in the exact same boat as the OP. Well, besites the action combat point. I knew i hated action combat since i first saw it in an MMO.

EQNext tries to NOT be Everquest. It tries to be the "spirit" that was Everquest. So the "new" the "fresh" the "innovation". I understand all that and i Do like the idea to go that route.

After following Landmark and the development on EQNext up to this point i don't see any evidence of a possible success. All EQNext really does is to do everything differend then EQ did, but nothing really differend then what we already had in other MMOs. Hell, even their so hyped smart AI is just a slightly better version of GW2. After all someone has to code the AI and tell the AI how to react to stuff that happens. That is not exactly much more then coding a scriped event that repeats itself.

NPC doing stuff that the devs did not think about, or scripted in... is not going to happen. But they try to sound like it could. Meh.

Anyways, i just wanted EQ with a new engine and a few minor improvements to useability and UI. EQNext is something differend. It is a whole differend genre. Nothing but the name is the same. Hell, they even screwed with Firiona (i still don't believe they made a ranger out of the wizard lol).

Yes, they try to capture the spirit. Yes, i applaud them for trying. No, i don't think changing everything, leaving nothing and changing genre is going to work out well.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Im not hypin it, but I wouldnt mind it being decent MMO for a change.

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Wildstar combat was horrible - that isn't proper action combat that's just some joke attempt at creating an MMORPG. But I thought you knew that already ?
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by SupaAPE
    Wildstar combat was horrible - that isn't proper action combat that's just some joke attempt at creating an MMORPG. But I thought you knew that already ?

Yeah but the nascent version of combat for EQN that is present in Landmark currently is its own brand of horrible. It is a quit pill. You take a dose and your mind completely of its own volition says Fuck it, this is awful. The rest of your brain complains but in the end the part that played the combat knows it's over.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

My interest in this game died when they said "action combat" and that you'd play it with a PS controller (or did in so many words).

As usual, SOE will promise the moon and end up delivering a jar of moonbeams to the gullible.