Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny: Bungie's Rumored Rocky Final Year to Release

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to an anonymous poster, 404Architecht, on the Destiny Reddit, development of the game in its final year was difficult with major changes to the story, content dropped for release and more. The source claims to be a Bungie developer with inside information on the process.

I can confirm that there were sudden and abrupt changes in the development of Destiny less than a year ago. There was tension between higher ups the entire time we were developing the title due to a lack of cohesion about the vision for the game. One side wanted this huge space epic, like an MMO Mass Effect and the other side was not convinced that would sell and wanted to pare things back to more "easily accessible" standards. They were afraid too much story elements and cut scenes would drive players off.

Then Joe left and everything just fell apart. By the time we were 7 months out to release, word came down that we were making massive revisions to the game's story. Huge portions of dialogue were excised and I think several recordings were redone to support the new narrative. Entire areas that would have been in the final game were removed, but some of the context wasn't, which explains weird reactions from NPCs and strange, unexplained motivations. We had a guy come in to write the grimoire cards who was given access to the original script with notations on what was cut and what needed to be revised in order to make this zombie of a game seem plausible.

All of the Last City factions had their storylines and dialogue cut, the Guardian's initial introduction to the Tower and the Last City was cut, and ALL the origins were homogenized down to the one originally used for Exo characters.

Most of what was cut was planned to be re-polished into DLC, but it's all there on the disc. Not all of it is live on the servers, but it's all there on the disc. Some last minute art assets needed to be remade, which is what you'll be downloading.

It's an embarrassing disaster and not the game I thought would be published.

Check out the entire discussion thread at the Destiny Reddit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by SBFord

According to an anonymous poster, 404Architecht, on the Destiny Reddit, development of the game in its final year was difficult with major changes to the story, content dropped for release and more. The source claims to be a Bungie developer with inside information on the process.

I can confirm that there were sudden and abrupt changes in the development of Destiny less than a year ago. There was tension between higher ups the entire time we were developing the title due to a lack of cohesion about the vision for the game. One side wanted this huge space epic, like an MMO Mass Effect and the other side was not convinced that would sell and wanted to pare things back to more "easily accessible" standards. They were afraid too much story elements and cut scenes would drive players off.

Then Joe left and everything just fell apart. By the time we were 7 months out to release, word came down that we were making massive revisions to the game's story. Huge portions of dialogue were excised and I think several recordings were redone to support the new narrative. Entire areas that would have been in the final game were removed, but some of the context wasn't, which explains weird reactions from NPCs and strange, unexplained motivations. We had a guy come in to write the grimoire cards who was given access to the original script with notations on what was cut and what needed to be revised in order to make this zombie of a game seem plausible.

All of the Last City factions had their storylines and dialogue cut, the Guardian's initial introduction to the Tower and the Last City was cut, and ALL the origins were homogenized down to the one originally used for Exo characters.

Most of what was cut was planned to be re-polished into DLC, but it's all there on the disc. Not all of it is live on the servers, but it's all there on the disc. Some last minute art assets needed to be remade, which is what you'll be downloading.

Pretty much what has been suspected from the start. Considering entire cut scenes were shown in press releases and videos that did not make it into the game.

This game was chopped up and will be released in DLC.  Which in itself is not a big deal, but they could at least be honest about it.

I have the digital guardian edition which comes with the first 2 DLC. Will shelf it and revisit Destiny once those are out. Till then Shadow of Mordor and DA3 will fill my time I suppose.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Well, that explains a lot. Hopefully they add the missing pieces back in at some point.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This game has tarnished the bungie name. After the quality of Halo and the pride you could sense they had for that game, to this game, Destiny, which is not something to be proud of.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Well duh the devs promised us galaxies to explore and we never even get out of our own solar system.

It was EXTREMELY obvious they pulled resources off this project. 

Not real sure if the resources went to the halo project, or the PC port for Destiny, but they sure as hell are no longer on Destiny as promised.

Once again I come back to saying we need to make some examples of some of these companies and sue them out of existence for making claims that just flat out are not true.

After the 10th or 12th company was fined into oblivion they would start policing themselves and start being a bit more honest or work a little harder to give us the features they promise at release.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

So basically 10 million people bought a demo for 59.99 that only lets them play about 20% of the full game. And then everyone who didn't ragequit yet will end up paying 200$ for the "vanilla" version of this game in the long run. I'm glad I'm paying my money to indie devs, because the amount of dooshbaggery by these big companies recently is just shameful.

Was it really worth splitting the game up like this? You get an insane amount of negative reviews right off the bat, everyone who bought this garbage will have a bad taste in their mouth, and overall the reputation of this company has just gone down the drain. I'm hoping there aren't enough idiots with money in the world to justify this decision. There probably are.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    This game has tarnished the bungie name. After the quality of Halo and the pride you could sense they had for that game, to this game, Destiny, which is not something to be proud of.

This ^ a million times. I was so hyped also for this one but not anymore. I like the game don't get me wrong on that, but it is not what i was told and what i was watching in the vids prior to release. The feeling i had at the time is gone, when i get into the game now it is like if i get into a fps but with some story that plays here and there and that is it.

The worst part is i got the game the same week it got out even with comments about it that it was a shadow of what we where told because i could not see it be like that. I said to myself that it must have been those kind of players again that just rush to max without even reading or looking at cut screens but then once i tried it i was like is that it ?. So instead of having to Q for some battleground type match over and over like in regular fps games i now have to choose a specific point on the map and get transfered there and start waves of mobs match and that is it and on top i am blocked into a specific area of map without much of exploration possible?

I hope they fix all those issues and change it a bit more into a mmo as they told us with the future DLC otherwise this will be another fail game sooner then they think. It as so much potential that to stop it there will just tarnish there rep more then they think.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I am glad in a twisted ay that they didnt release this game in PC because right now I would have been fuming.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by SBFord

Pretty much what has been suspected from the start. Considering entire cut scenes were shown in press releases and videos that did not make it into the game.

This game was chopped up and will be released in DLC.  Which in itself is not a big deal, but they could at least be honest about it.

I have the digital guardian edition which comes with the first 2 DLC. Will shelf it and revisit Destiny once those are out. Till then Shadows of Mordor and DA3 will fill my time I suppose.

Crap I forgot about DA3. Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. Shadow of Mordor, but then WoW, then probably back to Destiny once Expack is out. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I believe da internetz!

In all seriousness though , if activision asked them to cut content to be released in the DLC's , then all we have to do is play on one character. It is a shame though as if all this is true then what the DLC's will add is mostly story content and on the same planets we have now. I would hope it will be like a revisit advanced story at higher level but no I won't get my hopes up. Still if that's what they are going to do I would have liked to have been told and maybe I would have just bought the game when the full game was released . I.E next year after DLC 2. We shall see , fun game shell though for sure. 

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406

Well at least as far as this pocket book is concerned I agree that fewer cut scenes is better.

When a company does a cut scene they should keep in mind that at that point they are competing with all TV ever done and all Film that has ever been done but the viewer is not laying down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn at the moment.

Here they are with the technology to create something away from TV and Film and what do they do?

The only time I found a cut scene to be compelling was for No One Lives Forever, but in all fairness I dont play cut scene games much.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

This anon poster just summarized what every Destiny theory crafter, yet subtle hater, has been saying for the last week which makes it both easy to believe and hard to believe at the same time.  It would explain some things but at the same time it just seems too convenient of an explanation.  "They cut finished content just to release it later and charge", my thoughts are the content was not actually finished.  Now naturally the anonymous nature of the poster raises suspicion and the fact that they're deleted from Reddit, also the overly attached disposition anon has towards the game as if it was his or her idea alone and attached to his or her reputation (hence the term "embarrassment").  I will admit I don't want to believe this is true because they already have 90 dollars of mines and I've enjoyed the game with hopes of growing with it but I just can't swallow what the poster and MMORPG itself often feeds me or I'd else be spewing toxic.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Getting sick and tired of seeing 'DLC' packs being released/announced for games that have either JUST released or have not even released yet.

DLC, is great - when it is used to compliment an already finished, well rounded game.

Purposely cutting content from a game to re-release it at a later date with an extra cost is a load of horseshit.

Gaming fucking sucks now.  No one gives a shit anymore.  First Goat Simulator, now Destiny...DAFUQ MENG?!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Originally posted by Mange1

This anon poster just summarized what every Destiny theory crafter, yet subtle hater, has been saying for the last week which makes it both easy to believe and hard to believe at the same time.  It would explain some things but at the same time it just seems too convenient of an explanation.  "They cut finished content just to release it later and charge", my thoughts are the content was not actually finished.  Now naturally the anonymous nature of the poster raises suspicion and the fact that they're deleted from Reddit, also the overly attached disposition anon has towards the game as if it was his or her idea alone and attached to his or her reputation (hence the term "embarrassment").  I will admit I don't want to believe this is true because they already have 90 dollars of mines and I've enjoyed the game with hopes of growing with it but I just can't swallow what the poster and MMORPG itself often feeds me or I'd else be spewing toxic.

wait..what...haters wanted more cut scenes?

really?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Got to cut content, sell it as DLC's so they can pay for Destiny commercials at primetime on Monday Night Football. Consumers are their own worst enemies.

The Corporate mentality sucks fucking ass

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by WillowFuxxy

really?

Content = cutscenes alone.  Really?  Maybe you should read posts that you respond to.

really?

Content = cutscenes alone.  Really?  Maybe you should read posts that you respond to.

only the most craftiest of Trolls would put IN something in a complaint that they actually like. Thus when reading an article such as that if you see even ONE element that is opposite of what a hater would say then it brings up questions. 

they cut cut scenes. implying of course that a hater would want more cut scenes...

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

Getting sick and tired of seeing 'DLC' packs being released/announced for games that have either JUST released or have not even released yet.

DLC, is great - when it is used to compliment an already finished, well rounded game.

Purposely cutting content from a game to re-release it at a later date with an extra cost is a load of horseshit.

AMEN

Originally posted by Grakulen

AMEN

Sure, true. How do you do an MMO on a console, then? Console players aren't going to pay a monthly subscription, so DLC SEEMS like the best way to push out episodic content. 

Let's be honest now, and I'm being serious, if I'm selling you the Destiny that you thought Destiny was intended to be and I told you that I could give you this for only $150, would you buy it? If you say yes then you're a damn liar. 

This is the problem that these "massive" games will end up having on console. There's really no good way to deliver content to the users without pissing them off. You can't charge a sub, but then you can't gate content behind DLC either. At least PC players have come to terms with subscription models and will pay for games they like through a sub. Shoot, a WoW expansion pack might provide the same amount of content (or gameplay) as Destiny, up until the max level grind, and we'll gladly pay $60 for it plus another 14 months worth of subscriptions, so like approaching $300, and we never call WoW a rip-off. We do want more content, more quickly, but you don't hear the same hate. And all the WoW content ISN'T available at release. You get a taste and then they trickle content to you over the next year, just feeding your addiction. 

So, honestly, if Destiny is as deep in story as they're saying that it is, I don't think gating content behind DLC is any different from a sub, it's they audience that I think hurts them. I really hate to say it, but I almost think that they would have done better (and probably have gotten better reviews) if they left the content alone and released it exclusively to PC to start. *Ick* Gawd! I felt so dirty saying that. I just don't know that you can do what they did (gating content behind DLC) and hope to have the game be a critical success. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

AMEN

Sure, true. How do you do an MMO on a console, then? Console players aren't going to pay a monthly subscription, so DLC SEEMS like the best way to push out episodic content. 

why would console players not be open to monthly fee?

people seem to think console players and PC gamers literally have different DNA. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

AMEN

people seem to think console players and PC gamers literally have different DNA. 

I've always wondered about this claim as well. Console players will pay monthly just to pvp with a shooter, why would they not pay a sub to an MMORPG that satisfied?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

From what I've seen it seems pretty accurate. It also meshes with a review someone posted almost a year ago about the demo version of Destiny they got to play (which sounded completely different and along the lines of the Reddit post).

Sad. The game could have really made it's mark. I think, even worse, are some of the scores that "major" game sites gave it after only a few hours of playing, further perpetuating to new prospective players that they're getting an amazing game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by DMKano

Sad but true.

Destiny is just one example of this - many MMOs go through this sadly - Tabula Rasa comes to mind.

Well in that case it was just Richard Garriott himself that decided to ditch the entire game and start from scratch just two years before release. :-/

AMEN

Touche! I think that the MMOs released on console, in the past, haven't done as well. However, I think that FFARR did ok (didn't it?). So maybe that could have been the right way to go with Destiny. I would still question whether or not customers would let them off the hook for the way they left the story, but if it was a subscription, maybe they could have just left all the content they had available to them and then just cut the story up into logical releases. Honestly, if I'm looking at it from the perspective of an episodic adventure, I don't think it was a horrible place to end it. However, for someone expecting a nicely-wrapped conclusion to the story, it can understand how they would have been disappointed. I guess we'll just have to see how the expacks go. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Let's be honest now, and I'm being serious, if I'm selling you the Destiny that you thought Destiny was intended to be and I told you that I could give you this for only $150, would you buy it? If you say yes then you're a damn liar. 

This is the problem that these "massive" games will end up having on console. There's really no good way to deliver content to the users without pissing them off. You can't charge a sub, but then you can't gate content behind DLC either. At least PC players have come to terms with subscription models and will pay for games they like through a sub. Shoot, a WoW expansion pack might provide the same amount of content (or gameplay) as Destiny, up until the max level grind, and we'll gladly pay $60 for it plus another 14 months worth of subscriptions, so like approaching $300, and we never call WoW a rip-off. We do want more content, more quickly, but you don't hear the same hate. And all the WoW content ISN'T available at release. You get a taste and then they trickle content to you over the next year, just feeding your addiction. 

So, honestly, if Destiny is as deep in story as they're saying that it is, I don't think gating content behind DLC is any different from a sub, it's they audience that I think hurts them. I really hate to say it, but I almost think that they would have done better (and probably have gotten better reviews) if they left the content alone and released it exclusively to PC to start. *Ick* Gawd! I felt so dirty saying that. I just don't know that you can do what they did (gating content behind DLC) and hope to have the game be a critical success. 

A lot of people seem to forget this.

Destiny runs on pretty much the same infrastructure as an MMO plus some (due to hosting millions of players and not just couple hundred thousand), dealing with 4 different seperated platforms that are still all connected to one database portal (bungie.net).

It has a similar size development team that need to be paid salaries.

With MMO's on PC, we either pay a subscription fee every single month or have content artificially gated behind an overpriced cash shop! Or worse, these days they do both!

So how is Bungie going to make money from Destiny without a monthly subscription fee and without a cash shop?  While having to pay monthly upkeeps for the immense infrastructure and bandwith consumption and salaries for the development team?

I am not saying the story is fantastic, as it could definitely have been better and I do hope they managed to fix this in coming months. As the game itself is incredibly polished and fun to play! It runs smooth as hell and haven't encountered a single bug or issue with the game yet.

And that is the advantage Bungie has at the moment. They can fully focus now on improving the game based on genuine feedback and adding content!

Unlike most MMO releases that have to spend the first months fixing all the bugs and issues with the game.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

AMEN

Touche! I think that the MMOs released on console, in the past, haven't done as well. However, I think that FFARR did ok (didn't it?). So maybe that could have been the right way to go with Destiny. I would still question whether or not customers would let them off the hook for the way they left the story, but if it was a subscription, maybe they could have just left all the content they had available to them and then just cut the story up into logical releases. Honestly, if I'm looking at it from the perspective of an episodic adventure, I don't think it was a horrible place to end it. However, for someone expecting a nicely-wrapped conclusion to the story, it can understand how they would have been disappointed. I guess we'll just have to see how the expacks go. 

According to SOE, DCUO has more console players than PC players. Not sure about subs though.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here