Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mythology Betrayed

ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111

It appears that SOE is taking great liberty with their Everquest Mythology in Everquest Next.  The latest controversy relates to Tunare dying to some random chaos mobs in the Kithicor Forest.  Her blood then spawns various undead that corrupt the forest. 

We have known since 1999 that Tunare is the Goddess of All (Good).  She is the mother of Firiona Vie, the high elf character that has adorned their box art for over 15 years.  Tunare embodies the arts of Growth, Healing, Life, & Nature.  Tunare is iconic to the entire Everquest Franchise.  For her to be written out and in such a weak manner does not bode well for anything Everquest Next.

You can join the discussion on the official Everquest Next forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/everquestnext/index.php?threads/tunare-is-dead.465/

Comments

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I've never been into Everquest or its lore, but even I know how stupid this is. One of the most powerful goddesses of that world dies to what essentially amounts to trash mobs... yeah, gotta call BS on that one.

If it had been an epic battle between her and another god or being of similar power, I doubt many people would be upset. Instead they use the equivalent of Zeus walking through the woods and being slain by a particularly vicious pack of squirrels.

I'd be pretty pissed about that too.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Bah we killed Tunare years ago and all I got was a lousy tee shirt....
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I've never played EQ but I feel your pain on this.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72
    EQ Next is more like an alternate universe to the original EQ. So I guess the Lore will play out differently. I'm not really concerned that much. If they are able to tell a compelling 'new' story with good combat and quest systems, game play and a great community then it might become my new main mmo.

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Ok let me break this down for you people who seem unable to to understand it.

In order to create conflict you need to have investment. If people are not invested then why should they take part in said conflict (outside of the usual kill>XP>loot>repeat) and how do you get people invested. Well you take something that is wellknown and make it part of the conflict.

Like say a powerful goddess who through mystical means are slain and her enraged spirit now corrupts the very thing she once protected. It will be up to her champions (you.. in case you missed it) to set things right and try to either easy her suffering or maybe even set her free and cure the land. That is a compelling story... That will get people engaged. It has weight and a stake (as much as anything in a MMO has) because if left unchecked it might spread.

Now could they have picked some other character.. sure.. But the corruption of innocence and good is one of the strongest motifs in storytelling. As for how and what killed her and in what way... Call it a hunch but it would seem to me that there is more behind that then we see right now. ;)

Is it basic and predictable storytelling... yes... But it works very well and have done so for many a hundred years.

As an added bonus nothing rattles the cage of the community as a major step forward in lore. It is a metric ton of free marketing.

This have been a good conversation

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by junglebeast
    EQ Next is more like an alternate universe to the original EQ. So I guess the Lore will play out differently. I'm not really concerned that much. If they are able to tell a compelling 'new' story with good combat and quest systems, game play and a great community then it might become my new main mmo.

What he said. EQN is has the same names, but the lore and "world" is completely different. They said it early on and have been saying it ever since. It's not a betrayal - it's a completely different take on it.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by junglebeast

It is an alternate universe. So was EQII and all the other "spinoff" of EQ. I really don't get people getting up in arm over change in the lore when EQNext is not a remake of EQ.

It's a game set in the same mega-universe.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I am not a lore hound, but I understand why people have gotten their feathers ruffled over this.  Someone in the thread drew an analogy from a long-standing iconic TV series and franchise (Star Trek) to make it a bit clearer.  To paraphrase, she said that the Star Trek storyline, universe, and characters span multi generations.  Each subset of the ST story (the original series, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and all the movies) maintain continuity of characters, racial histories and conflict, etc., even though each takes place in a different time and place.

So, imagine getting an empty shoebox and filling it with little cards that represent Kirk, and Captain Janeway, Romulans, the Enterprise, all the rest of the characters, locations, worlds, histories, and even galaxies, then shaking it all up and dumping it all over a boardroom table.  Picture how all those cards would land.  Some would be on top of one another, some would be flipped over, others would be close..but the order would be random. 

Then the storyline director started pairing up cards based on proximity, whim, and personal inspiration.  Ferengi's (pacifists and vegetarians) now ruled the Alpha Quadrant, Captain Kirk was a eunuch that was leading the Klingon Empire (now the center of crafting and trade),  Earth didn't exist anymore (it was a card that was flipped over), etc., etc.,.  Now, imagine someone saying, "This is going to represent the new Star Trek series!". 

The Star Trek community would flip their shit. 

That is what SOE is proposing with EQN, and why a portion of the community is really not very happy at all.  Tunare is just one layer on this cake that Dave has been baking, and some fans are just fed up with the general direction the game is going.  For many, it simply isn't EQ anymore, and should have its name changed like Landmark did.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Landmark had it's name changed, partially at least, because they plan to use it as a test bed for systems in future MMOs, not just EQN.

Regarding the lore and Tunare there is a lot of speculation going in which people are getting themselves riled up. First, we don't know the strength or number that took her down. Second, we have no idea how much thought is going into the new ordering of lore to say it's being done haphazardly. Did anyone that watched the new "content" video notice a hint at seeing figures again... That may mean something related.

I understand why people would be upset about this, concerning EQN it doesn't take much, but to say things don't bode well for it because of a lore change is a bit out there. We don't know what they have planned in the long run.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I love the change =-) I can see lots of options for story from a move like this and the bigger the emotional the reaction there is to the move, the more that story can effect us. So this is a great launching point.
  • ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

I've never been into Everquest or its lore, but even I know how stupid this is. One of the most powerful goddesses of that world dies to what essentially amounts to trash mobs... yeah, gotta call BS on that one.

If it had been an epic battle between her and another god or being of similar power, I doubt many people would be upset. Instead they use the equivalent of Zeus walking through the woods and being slain by a particularly vicious pack of squirrels.

I'd be pretty pissed about that too.

Thank you for getting it!  The story they are coming up with to explain Tunare's death contradicts over 15 years of Everquest Lore.  Every living creature would have come to Tunare's defense, her powers of life and healing are immense.  Then to compound their error they tell us that her blood spawns undead and corrupts the entire Kithicor Forest.  Tunare's blood would never corrupt anything, she is the Goddess of All (Good).  If anything the Kithicor Forest would have become a sanctuary, a paradise; nothing bad would ever occur there.  Not ever.

Feel free to use the link below to share your thoughts on the official Everquest Next forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/everquestnext/index.php?threads/tunare-is-dead.465/ 

This discussion has been closed.