Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you level just by doing pvp?

frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41

hi guys i don't like questing so i wanted to know if i could just pvp to the level cap.

also if you just pvp do you need to buy the new areas to get to the level cap?

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by frosty73

hi guys i don't like questing so i wanted to know if i could just pvp to the level cap.

also if you just pvp do you need to buy the new areas to get to the level cap?

I'm not saying this in a pissy way at all, I mean this with the best of intentions, TSW is one of the few MMORPG's that has a great reason to enjoy doing missions, the story writing is complex, to just do PVP while worthwhile will not do the game justice.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Theoretically yes. It would just take you a long time. And you would be gimped in all PvP types except Fusang and even then you are at a disadvantage. TSW shines because of its storyline/quests. If that doesn't interest you I'm not sure you will enjoy the game.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

If you (a) don't like doing quests and (b) are mainly interested in PvP then I would be very reluctant to recommend TSW to you at all.

In regard to your other question, "level cap" is a somewhat nebulous concept in this game but you can max all main weapon and talisman skill tracks and obtain all main weapon skills without buying any of the "Issues" or other paid DLC.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Here's a discussion on XP gains in PvP on the forums, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by doing nothing but PvP in TSW.  It's got the best storyline around.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63591

• NemeisMercNemeisMerc Member Posts: 36

Level Cap is a misleading concept.

Almost all your power in this game comes from gear. 10.5.5 is the current gear cap.  That reads as 10.5 level base gear with 10.5 glyphs on the gear with purple signets and appropriate augments is the current gear cap and frankly you can't get to that PvPing. The absoulute max you can get PvP is 10.4.4 no signets or augments.

It should also be noted that PvP and PvE aren't interchangeable in terms of upgrades. As far as I can see this is done deliberately as an extra timesync/barrier and to force PvP players to repeat the gearing up process. (You can't just go PvE and get your 10.5 upgrades). 

• frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    thx a lot for the replies guys, i have just bought the game and i am downloading it now :)
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by RabidMouth
    Theoretically yes. It would just take you a long time. And you would be gimped in all PvP types except Fusang and even then you are at a disadvantage. TSW shines because of its storyline/quests. If that doesn't interest you I'm not sure you will enjoy the game.

^If you are a sucker for punishment, then you will enjoy leveling through PvP in TSW.

Unlike other MMO's which have brackets that they put you in, TSW only has one "bracket". So you'll be up against people who are fully epic'ed out and will use you as a punching bag while you tickle them every now and then. Provided they even notice your existence amongst all the AoE's that they are spamming which will give you an instant ticket to the respawn. :P

If you can stick with it, it's one of the best ways to get gear. Although when it comes to character progress I'd say questing is faster. As others have mentioned, the Secret World is all about its amazing storyline.

If you seek to skip that part I'm honestly not sure whether the game will be a good investment for you.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/