Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Archage review after 1 week.

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by dalewj

I gave all the warnings at the top just so if you dint like them you could stop reading and go elsewhere. Yes it is a review cause I put over 60 hours into the game. Anything I do for 60 hours is a review. Sure I didn't make it to the sandbox, cause I got bored with all the stupid shit and I got annoyed enough to leave.

the point being archage lost me right off the bat. they should learn from that.

60 hours and "off the bat" don't add up.  

It sounds more like you went in knowing you didn't intend to play the game, looking for every possible negative you could find, and then focused on them.  

You didn't put 60 hours into the game, if you had you would have been well past the themepark questing, which you could have just skipped to begin with.  

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Semiel   Originally posted by dalewj I gave all the warnings at the top just so if you dint like them you could stop reading and go elsewhere. Yes it is a review cause I put over 60 hours into the game. Anything I do for 60 hours is a review. Sure I didn't make it to the sandbox, cause I got bored with all the stupid shit and I got annoyed enough to leave.   the point being archage lost me right off the bat. they should learn from that.
      I heard movie critics now only have to watch the first 20mins to give a review. True story.

>If a movie critic stops watching the film after the first 20 minutes, then its because the film is really bad, true story!
    It would reveal more about the critic than about the movie. And he certainly would not be able to review the movie either.

>if you have to play for 60+ hours before the game even begins to start being fun, then there is something seriously wrong with it...
    Again, how op chose to spend the hours in-game says more about him than about the game. He chose to play it like a themepark for 60!!!! freaking hours, without once questioning himself whether perhaps he was doing it wrong, all this while experiencing/achieving basically nothing?

Also stop using vague words like "fun" and "boring", it just tries to hide the fact that you don't probably even know what you want.
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that as early as level 10+ you can do other stuff than quests...

But then you have the classic idiot responses: "But, but, mining, gathering, farming, crafting, building, fishing, exploring, trading are so booooring". Sigh...

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

... if you have to play for 60+ hours before the game even begins to start being fun, then there is something seriously wrong with it... 

I am just confused why it took 60 hours to reach level 30. I reached that far in headstart, and that is with all those launch problems. I hit 50 last weekend.

This is the easiest game ever to level up. I am not a hardcore player. I have played every AAA MMO release since SWG. I have only ever max leveled in SWTOR (I don't count SWG because I quite shortly after CU). All other games I usually end around 40ish if that far. Questing in most MMOs is so boring and slow that I give up, except SWTOR because the story is amazing. I don't know AAs story, and I don't care because you level so fast.

Is the OP a F2P by chance? I think the F2P get less XP so it could make a difference. Plus, less labor points so a F2P would miss out on some of the crafting levels. I have always been used to a SUB so it just makes since if a F2P offers a SUB to just pay the SUB.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I'd love to one day make a review of a game but i take so long to go "deep" on games that call my interest that is not possible to me, and when is possible its almost 6 months after launch (AA is probabily going to take 1 year or something) and by that time  noone care about "reviews" anymore.

"1st impressions"? meh, dont need to read, even me can see by myself in a few mins playing any game.

Imo using the word "review" the writer should at least go more deeper in game and not only the 1st impressions, on this case should use "My 1st impressions".

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

It's the OP's review.  If he, and those with his same opinion are not having fun, let them go.  The problem with many players trying AA is that they are trying to play the game in the manner that they have played their past MMORPGs.   AA is a different type of hybrid PvP/PvE game.  It is a great game for many that come into it with an open mind, for others with set expectations, it is not.  There are three "musts" that a player must have before even thinking of having fun with AA, and that is (1) friends (preferably a guild), (2) patron status, and (3) patience.  You may be able to get away playing without one or two of the above but you will not have much fun playing without all three.  

Like Eve, AA will establish it's set base niche and will succeed with it.  It's base will consist of social players supported by guilds, who are mostly patrons, and who have the patience and vision of playing a game long term reveling in the idea of the "journey" as opposed to "instant gratification." The beauty about AA is that if you buy into its concept there should be no rush to accomplish it's objectives thereby relieving you of that mindset allowing you to play the game and just have fun.  It is a game packed with long term goals and objectives.  Some personal, others social and guild oriented.  Solo (unsocial) players, instant gratification players (Ie., I must have the best now), impatient players (cannot stand to do a couple of days of PvE), entitled players (the F2P/P2W whiners) and close minded players (unreasonable personal expectations) will not enjoy this game.

For those who haven't played the game, my only advice is to try the game and play it with an open mind, as it was designed to be played.  Admittedly, many aspects of the game are a challenge.  Only try the game if you are an overcoming challenge type of player.  If you fall in one of the groups mentioned in the prior paragraph, don't even bother.  

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Ouch!  Wall of text hit me for 1000 damage!

Format, spacing, something...

My Eyes!!!!!

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

It's the OP's review.  

I dont agree, its the OP 1st impressions only. Review =/= 1st impressions imo.

To make a review of a game is supose to cover the most part of that game.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

What is your favourite sandbox MMO OP? Is it EVE? In EVE, after one week, a new player is just trying to figure out what is going on and what this game is about. Whitout a guild, you have no chance to do anything. Levelling to the point, where you can do anything substantial, takes months.

Yet, you write a review of Archeage after playing it for one week. You even admit that you experienced just small part of the game and you refused to join a guild. What is your point?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I gave all the warnings at the top just so if you dint like them you could stop reading and go elsewhere. Yes it is a review cause I put over 60 hours into the game. Anything I do for 60 hours is a review. Sure I didn't make it to the sandbox, cause I got bored with all the stupid shit and I got annoyed enough to leave.

Well considering there aren't many games out there with this feature list (mostly after the tutorial) this will be your loss.  If you can't tough it out to the more rare features, you are just hurting yourself.  The tutorial stinks but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.  There is no light at the end of the tunnel in ESO and WS, pointless solo questing is what they are about.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Wow... I love the defending arguements...

You aren't having fun? You are playing it wrong!!! lmao weak

If parts of a game are not fun, they are failing at implementing that part of the game. You want people to not play it like a themepark? the game shouldn't open with you standing in front of a quest giver then. Bad game development is the problem here, not the players.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by JDis25

I only played the beginning theme park part and didn’t even finish it. So this review will not cover the other parts of pvp and raiding and such.

This review is basically pointless then...

Everyone on this site knows the game starts off slow, basically treats the player like they have never stepped foot in an MMO before.

Also there isn't "Raiding" like you think.

You basically did not even play Archeage, and that's fine, we all know the early game is just a tutorial and not that exciting. But it is necessary because you will never feel overwhelmed. Everything is introduced at the right time and makes you feel confident upon hitting 30 and venturing into the PvP zones.

This shouldn't be called a review, mostly a first impression, and that is it.

I truly believe you are the minority. I truly believe most people do not like Archeage, and you have to accept that. I understand you feel a sense of loyalty for the game, but the people have spoken. No matter how many hundreds of posts you try to debunk with emotion rather than logic, you cannot argue that the game has not been well received overall.

I can appreciate that youre the underdog and it only makes you fight harder, but you simply cannot change peoples opinion with force of will, you arent a jedi.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Well considering there aren't many games out there with this feature list (mostly after the tutorial) this will be your loss.  If you can't tough it out to the more rare features, you are just hurting yourself.  The tutorial stinks but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.  There is no light at the end of the tunnel in ESO and WS, pointless solo questing is what they are about.

The "light" at the end of Archeage's tunnel could also be getting ganked over and over by stronger guilds/players if you aren't at/in the top, yourself.  That's what ended up happening in other regional versions of the game, at least.

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

[quote]Originally posted by Delusive
    [b]

Is the OP a F2P by chance? I think the F2P get less XP so it could make a difference. Plus, less labor points so a F2P would miss out on some of the crafting levels. I have always been used to a SUB so it just makes since if a F2P offers a SUB to just pay the SUB.

Yes I was in the F2P channel. If its advertised that way then it should hold up that way. I have no problem paying for something once I like it..

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

Originally posted by Tyggs
    Wow... I love the defending arguements...You aren't having fun? You are playing it wrong!!! lmao weakIf parts of a game are not fun, they are failing at implementing that part of the game. You want people to not play it like a themepark? the game shouldn't open with you standing in front of a quest giver then. Bad game development is the problem here, not the players.

Exactly. This is not my first game, I have played stuff since you needed to connect it to the screws on your tv. A review is a review if you have completed using a product. I buy a crap car that I have to sell in 3 months I review it now, not for what it could have been in 3 years. Game wasn't for me for reasons. Sure it for others and it will be a niche product. I just wish I had found and read this review before I tried it, but nothing was written to my gaming age.. just fanboys/girls...

and apologies for the spacing issues. for some reason I am have spacing issues this month.

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

Originally posted by Callidor
    No matter how many hundreds of posts you try to debunk with emotion rather than logic, you cannot argue that the game has not been well received overall.

Any time you as a gamer stick your neck out into the community to make a point, you have to expect people will try to rip it off because they have their own opinion. Sad thing is many have yet to learn how to have an opinion and not think that just because its their opinion everyone must be wrong. But then again isn't the internet a beautiful thing!

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    It might be me, but i still fail to find out what it is that I should be able to do at level 30 that I cant do at level 10?
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Mitara
    It might be me, but i still fail to find out what it is that I should be able to do at level 30 that I cant do at level 10?

Personally i found the game after lvl 30 still not satisfying so to each their own.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Tyggs

Wow... I love the defending arguements...

You aren't having fun? You are playing it wrong!!! lmao weak

If parts of a game are not fun, they are failing at implementing that part of the game. You want people to not play it like a themepark? the game shouldn't open with you standing in front of a quest giver then. Bad game development is the problem here, not the players.

I agree with this statement.  It's not just Archeage that has had this problem.  My guess is the theme park tutorial was implemented at the end very quickly without a lot of thought put into it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Mavolence

Personally i found the game after lvl 30 still not satisfying so to each their own.

Apparently once you get to level 50 it really opens out as a game image

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

We were on the open seas, traversing the world, having fun and getting stuff done by L15.

but, you don't want to hear that, right?

Lol, yes of course! Alas, at lvl 50 i still found it unsatisfying I must be an idiot!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Lol, yes of course! Alas, at lvl 50 i still found it unsatisfying I must be an idiot!

Self edited because it was just too easy.

Originally posted by Vesavius

We were on the open seas, traversing the world, having fun and getting stuff done by L15.

I think you're missing the point that I found to me personally that the "sandbox" features no matter what level you start to do them was still unsatisfying. I had a clipper and such as well before lvl 30 doesn't change anything the game pre 30 post 30 or at lvl 50 or at lvl 1 or to quote people "opened up" is still unsatisfying to me personally.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Thanks for the review. Easy to read on your site, and was quite informative. Bravo.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Something tells me that if the OP was to hit 50 then he'd still be running around looking for the "!" and the "?".

You can take the gamer out of WoW but you can't take the WoW out of the gamer.

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15