Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2nd Kickstarter Failed?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
From what I can tell, the second Kickstarter campaign failed and they are looking to alternate funding sources.  Any idea what those sources might be?  I'm really interested in this game and it might be the first indie project I give money to, if it has a chance of making it.

Comments

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

Its an awesome Fun game to play!

I hope they find a new way to reach finances. Maybe thru donations? I feel the kickstarter failed due to lack of exposure. It simply wasnt advertised enough for people to know it exists. What a Gem of a game in this very early stage of playability. It would be very sad to see it go away after seeing so many craptastic games get to market. I even voted for it on Greenlight via steam! 

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THAT OLD SCHOOL " Good Feeling" when you play a game, Play Project Gorgon at projectgorgon.com

Great content! Good Community! - Remember when you lost track of time playing an MMO? Because you are so into it time slips away? This game will do that! I LOVE playing it!

• NuhaineNuhaine Member UncommonPosts: 58

While I haven't looked into it, I believe they haven't decided on a course of action to pursue. I personally believe that a third kickstarter campaign is necessary. One that is just starting as the game is being marketed heavily. There are talks to get large guilds interested to build our community. Currently, there are 50-100 players at any given time, and only a few are willing to spend money.

They have a few options that could be a success, though. They could accept donations, or create a payment model akin to founders packs, or try a third kickstarter. However, I believe that the developer really cares for the direction the video game market is going, and he doesn't want to encourage things like micro-transactions and making players pay for extra content within the game. This game has potential to hit it big, but there is a philosophy involved that makes things a little more difficult.

He does have a point with his opinions, and I agree with him on most of them. He's a pretty smart guy who has done what many would consider impossible. Project Gorgon is rapidly picking up speed, it just needs to let down its sails and ride the breeze to launch.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

They should just charge a (small) sub for the game they have and promise to update it. I would pay and I'm sure quite a few others would as well. Unlike Pantheon which tried that PG actually has a working game.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Sadly while PG was probably the most fun indie MMO I've played recently the community are burnt out on being burnt by these kind of Kickstarters after so many of them turned out to be cash grabs and failures.

"Someone else" can support these games and I'll pay once a product has been delivered and proven to be of quality.

Originally posted by fearu

Sadly while PG was probably the most fun indie MMO I've played recently the community are burnt out on being burnt by these kind of Kickstarters after so many of them turned out to be cash grabs and failures.

Many of the games that turn out to be cash grabs do not have a working alpha that you can log in to and play for free. It's just one guy developing the game, so imagine what he could do with the right resources?

I think that there are few excuses beyond not having the money to help get this project off the ground. It screams that it will go somewhere given support.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Originally posted by DMKano

I thought they said if the 2nd KS failed they would NOT look for further funding.

The KS was run poorly - had very few updates.

This is the issue of having such a small team - it's just far too overwhelming running a KS and working on lots of game updates at the same time.

They're not done with the game and are looking for other ways to fund it. :)

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

A game which updates weekly and promises to go on forever is not simply 'finished' and regardless of what you may think, Project Gorgon will continue.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

There were what not even 300 total backers on KS.

Even if they charged $5 - 300 people wouldn't even cover the cost of hosting the alpha server each month.

They have kept the server up for a year or two on their own.  Why would their ability to do that suddenly change?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by iridescence

There were what not even 300 total backers on KS.

Even if they charged $5 - 300 people wouldn't even cover the cost of hosting the alpha server each month.

They have kept the server up for a year or two on their own.  Why would their ability to do that suddenly change?

Money?

I love the game also and plan on playing until they shut down. Unfortunately, the money is not there and passion can only do so much.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    can't they go the capitalist way about it and take a bank loan?

You dont get bank loans for making games..

Unless a proper publisher picked them up or they find someone willing to invest in the coumpany then they will have to rely on donations.

Originally posted by blueturtle13
    Originally posted by Nuhaine
    A game which updates weekly and promises to go on forever is not simply 'finished' and regardless of what you may think, Project Gorgon will continue.

Actually you are wrong. Sorry. It is unfortunate but this is a business and these games are very expensive

Keep note of the 'As Envisioned Here' part of the statement. The game will not achieve the vision Eric is seeking if funding is not acquired. If funding is never acquired, then the game will likely become more of a pet project and not see mass success.

There is more information than what is just on the Kickstarter page:

http://stratics.com/community/threads/if-kickstarter-fails-then-what.321782/

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

If they already have a (more or less) fun product to play, they could get it into the Steam early access program, charge a reasonable sum and try to grow from there.

Pretty sure they're trying that as it's on Steam Greenlight.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by fearu

"Someone else" can support these games and I'll pay once a product has been delivered and proven to be of quality.

That's pretty much what's turning into. There's so many Kickstarters popping up all over the place that many of them are beginning to find it hard to get funded. And to make matters worse, there's a few unscrupulous ones that have begun to sour people on the whole Kickstarter thing.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Its a fun old school type game. And thats its problem. Sure everybody here thinks its a great game. But two kickstarter failures says it doesn't appeal to most people. Any game where the starter area is a cave that you don't know when to leave and a game with no hand holding isn't really going to do well in todays market. It was a nice try though. Makes me wonder how many people are really playing it or just posting they are.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Its a fun old school type game. And thats its problem. Sure everybody here thinks its a great game. But two kickstarter failures says it doesn't appeal to most people. Any game where the starter area is a cave that you don't know when to leave and a game with no hand holding isn't really going to do well in todays market. It was a nice try though. Makes me wonder how many people are really playing it or just posting they are.

you are totaly wrong, the game failed the kickstarter only because people dont know yet about this game, you can find a high demand for a quality ''old school game'' like project gordon, most people who started with ultima online, everquest or most of the old one dislike most of the new mmorpg we got each year, but they are still here, looking for the game who will bring these people back the fealing of playing a real mmorpg.

and project gordon do just that, bring back the fealing of playing a game such as ultima online or everquest, that a realy realy well done game with about 5x more features that many current mmorpg we got, the potential here.

the only error they do are not publishing enough about the game and people just dont know about the game, when they know?

they play it and love it, that realy hard find someone who dislike this game

(  people who have go out of the cave, im guessing you did not because you were not hand holded lol )

and if you want know, im actively playing it and find new features all the time

this game can work if they do more pub and hype, they got a solid mmorpg

what they could do with 100k ? and more people ? kinda scary :)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I confess I couldn't decide which funding level to pick. I got up to $250 thinking wow that's cheap for all the stuff that you get...but then I realized WTF would I want to pledge $250. Talked myself out of it. Wishing them luck, though!

There were what not even 300 total backers on KS.Even if they charged $5 - 300 people wouldn't even cover the cost of hosting the alpha server each month.

I too noticed the average donation was north of $100. Things that make you go hmmm.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

I guess if you are open to the 'believe what you want to believe' concept, I'll leave you to it. The game isn't dead yet, just have to keep on showing people the game is great! Log in and see for yourself.

As to the Kickstarter campagin, I believe the average donations were higher due to both skillful KS reward placement and a niche audience. The core of the matter remains that much of the publicity only happened after the KS campaign launched. You have to get people riled up about the game and never admit your faults before you launch the KS campaign, pretending that your problems don't exist. But Eric didn't, and the savage humanity in everyone is hurting him for it.

Once you have the campaign running, you have to babysit it, update it weekly and sometimes daily. Get more publicity. The more activity, and the longer someone stays at a website, the more 'umph' search providers give you.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Nuhaine

As to the Kickstarter campagin, I believe the average donations were higher due to both skillful KS reward placement and a niche audience. The core of the matter remains that much of the publicity only happened after the KS campaign launched. You have to get people riled up about the game and never admit your faults before you launch the KS campaign, pretending that your problems don't exist. But Eric didn't, and the savage humanity in everyone is hurting him for it.

Once you have the campaign running, you have to babysit it, update it weekly and sometimes daily. Get more publicity. The more activity, and the longer someone stays at a website, the more 'umph' search providers give you.

Imho the average amount was high because people who look for a game like PG are those who started MMOs when those were new. By now they have a regular income and can afford to "waste" some money. If the KS were succesful I had funded it with $500 which is more than I paid for any game before including sub games.

The problem is or maybe was, depending on your point of view, that they have a small team and as mentioned in the other post they are coders and not PR people. Had they done some PR before the KS maybe they had gotten the money. Even if I wanted to I can't really blame Eric or anyone else on the team for the fail because they aren't used to work in that area.

I hope they continue the game and set up a donation, maybe a voluntary founder pack or something similar. But they should keep the alpha free to try because that is one positive thing about PG. In nearly every other new game you have to pay before you play but here you can play before you pay. They don't hide behind a paywall  and throw around visions of this or that might be the game. Play the game, see it grow, if you like it throw some money their way and if not then give some feedback how to improve it.

@the 300 people, $5 each isnt enough to pay for the server, they dont have a farm yet so it might pay for the server but there won't be much left over for the dev team.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Atis-nobAtis-nob Member UncommonPosts: 98

IMO, kickstarter failed only over terrible PR.

MMORPG.COM article appeared only 10 days before KS campaign's end. I was following Gorgon for 1,5-2 years and still didnt know about KS, since they just put few word about it in their blog, which got lost among big articles about small stuff.  When I showed KS page to some sandbox lovers, they were not very impressed. Screenshots of characters in their undies lol'ing around, bunch of mechanics which hardly fit each other, many key questions were in "will decide later" state, best features were not highlighted and got lost in piles of generic things. Game was not even listed on this site.

How could they hope for successful crowd-funding after hiding from crowd for 4 years?

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Atis-nob
    ...MMORPG.COM article appeared only 10 days before KS campaign's end...

True, I was like wow this KS is about to end and isn't even close to being funded. As much as I'd like to support it, I'd rather not have to worry about getting my money back when the KS surely failed. Some of the environment are amazing but one character model which I hate stands out in my mind; It's some guy on horseback with a tiny head and enormous armor. Looks like a 98 pound guy wearing 600 pound armor.

so, once KS fails, are they barred from attempting another?

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I think the best approach for P:G in its current state is to abandon the idea of making an MMORPG.  Instead, take the existing game content, truncate the 'server-side' functions to run as a local process, and market the product as a stand-alone, single player game.  All of the dungeons I have visited are designed as a solo experience, there's no grasp of even the most rudimentary group functionality.  Sell what they have now, and as that generates some revenue, work on a more robust multiplayer environment.  The game needs serious work on the UI, especially the player-to-player elements.  Right now, I feel that implemented functions, such as the relatively crude UI and skill balance issues, are only discouraging potential players.

Game companies need to realize that there is an inherent problem with alpha and beta releases -- a majority of the gaming public views the product as a 'game', not a development, proof-of-concept in progress.  I've already seen several discussions about 'Will there be a character wipe?' in P: G.  It's an alpha level test, there almost should be character wipes, if for no other reason than to fix and repair and test the changes made.

What is important at the stage P: G is currently at is feedback.  But feedback generates work for an already understaffed, probably overworked and (possibly) overwhelmed development team.  That's what an alpha test is about - determining what changes need to be made, and what doesn't.  The community there needs to focus on giving feedback to the developers, not worrying about keeping this particular character or progressing from now on.

I'm amazed and envious of how far the development team has progressed with the game.  But right now, money is the issue, and completing the current game as an MMORPG isn't going to bring in revenue at the moment.  Developing new content isn't the best use of the development effort, in my opinion.  Salvage what they can from their previous efforts as a CRPG, hope it can push some cash their way, and restart with an new multiplayer effort.

This one isn't going much further.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.