Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isnt there a mmorpg like this?

Ill start off by saying this. I just finished watching sword art online. Yes i know that the whoal VR gameplay isnt comming any time soon. But i was more focused on the fact that it didnt have magic involved....and mainly death ment something....now of course the die in the game u die for real is bull crap but i was thinking Alfheim online style....where death has harsh penalties like a long death timer (1-4hrs depending on type of death)

I personally thing this would add more depth to death and make group system and trust more important....

Comment?

Comments

• PlasmaChromaPlasmaChroma Member Posts: 1

Final Fantasy XI (at least when I played it) had experience loss on death, you could actually even de-level your character if things were going really bad for a bit.

Really all it did is make the experience more frustrating (more stress in parties) and made groups harder to find.  At one point people were even running static groups (just play with same set of 5 players) since the value was only good if you could perform well.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I would suspect a lot of players would simply turn to other games instead of waiting for their death timers. For many people this would essentially mean that they are allowed only one death per day and I have mixed feelings about this. In one hand it could create some unforeseen metagame, but on the other, it could be really shitty to die within the first 15 minutes of your days gaming session.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Make it like Demon/Dark Souls where you can run back to your corpse or whatever and retrieve lost experience unless of course you die again before you reach your corpse than you will just lose that experience.  Of course mobs would have to be more difficult as well just like in Dark Souls.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Scypheroth
    Ill start off by saying this. I just finished watching sword art online. Yes i know that the whoal VR gameplay isnt comming any time soon. But i was more focused on the fact that it didnt have magic involved....and mainly death ment something....now of course the die in the game u die for real is bull crap but i was thinking Alfheim online style....where death has harsh penalties like a long death timer (1-4hrs depending on type of death)

I personally thing this would add more depth to death and make group system and trust more important....

Comment?

There are many games that make death meaningful, and even have open PVP. The problem with basically all of these games is that they are niche and low pop (except EVE) because the vast majority of 'gamers' only want to be rewarded and hand held.

You shouldn't expect real life to work like your Japanese cartoons, especially the bad ones like SAO.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

Comment?

As others have stated, several games have harsh mechanics associated with death, but a mechanic that prevents players from playing is just bad business, and that's why you don't have that.

That may sound a bit obvious but people make games to have people play them and people play games to play them games. If you force people to go play something else for the next few hours, say another game that lets them play their character, they may not come back.

Mechanisms that make sense to implement, I think, include time sinks (xp loss, respawn further away from the action, combat debuff, corpse run, etc.), item sinks (item drop or destruction, etc.) and money sinks (item damage, revive/cloning fees, etc.) when a character dies. This way, they experience a sting in the form of a set back but they can still play the game, although they will have to adjust their gameplay (to that run, get more money through missions, craft more of stuff x, etc.).

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

now of course the die in the game u die for real is bull crap but i was thinking Alfheim online style....where death has harsh penalties like a long death timer (1-4hrs depending on type of death)

Blatantly wait 4 hours after dying? This is the most stupid idea Ive heard. Im all for more hardcore death penalties, but it should be corellated to gameplay, not "sit and wait".

As for Sword Art Online, its just copy pasted fantasy MMO which has the only selling point - VR. Future MMOs will be much better then SAO

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41
    I thought the cool selling points of SAO were the in depth trade skills, merchanting, and housing. And the fact that it had a definitive ending right from the start.

The whole set end point would really make it pointless though.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Comment?

IMHO, it is probably what most PvP centric games are lacking, and EvE shows us that harsh death penalties can work.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Theres a nifty game I play (Imperian) where if you die, you have 2 options. A: You can instantly return to life, at the cost of some experience, or B: You can run around the Underworld, collecting tokens for passage across the river of souls, and come back to life at no cost.