Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Titan: Blizzard Confirms Project's Cancelation

2»

Comments

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151

wasnt there a movie coming?

think that will draw more people to Warcrack?

i bet they target even younger audiences.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by Arallu01
    This just in, MMORPG genre confirmed dead. /s

Not dead just waiting for the next great game to come along and reignite interest. This would be the second scraping of Titan mmo by Blizz and for the same reason, the game basically sucked. In terms of mmosthey can just put their efforts back into WoW, release a console version of it or something like that to reach new gamers. 

Blizzard is never going to release WoW on console, they don't -need- to reach new players as they aren't hurting for players. In fact if Blizzard did make WoW for console, it would kill the remaining subscriber base. Because when you have a game for PC and a game for Console and put both players together, it completely limits what you can do for the PC players because of the console players(See FFXIV ARR).

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

This doesn't surprise me one bit . When Blizzard announced a few months back that they had decided to discard the work done on it to that point and restart the project anew I thought at the time it was just a bit of damage limitation . The funny thing this is the game that many Blizzard fans touted over the years to be WoWs successor . 

So where does that leave Blizzard now  . I have long thought given the amount of money they make there is not enough investment in development of new ideas . They rely heavily on Starcraft , Warcraft and Diablo . Although these are successful its really WoW that is Blizzards main income and their subscriber numbers have halved in the last few years . Unless they have secretly started developing WoW 2 even if they started now it could mean it probably be about 5 years or more till we see it released . And the failure of Titan to even to make it to release shows that even Blizzard cannot be guaranteed to come up with a second mmo that can catch the public interest in the way World of Warcraft once did . 

If I were a shareholder I would be starting to get a bit nervous right now because even though Blizzard are still making huge amounts of profit I would be having significant doubts about its long term ability to maintain anything like the income it has now . 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I have never understood why they would have made Titan when they had WoW. They would cannibalizing their own player base which makes no business sense. I suppose they decided to just upgrade WoW engine and stick to this money maker. 

Even if they are losing players no other western MMO can even come close. They are releasing a new expansion and people will flock back and they get even more new players so why make another game that is like WoW. Plus Wildstar and its raid concentrated game  and action combat is not doing so well so they must have thought hmm further proof that we should just be improving WoW.

I am sure their investors are happy rolling in their money .Can the investors of other MMO companies say that too.

Chamber of Chains
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by greatskys

This doesn't surprise me one bit . When Blizzard announced a few months back that they had decided to discard the work done on it to that point and restart the project anew I thought at the time it was just a bit of damage limitation . The funny thing this is the game that many Blizzard fans touted over the years to be WoWs successor . 

So where does that leave Blizzard now  . I have long thought given the amount of money they make there is not enough investment in development of new ideas . They rely heavily on Starcraft , Warcraft and Diablo . Although these are successful its really WoW that is Blizzards main income and their subscriber numbers have halved in the last few years . Unless they have secretly started developing WoW 2 even if they started now it could mean it probably be about 5 years or more till we see it released . And the failure of Titan to even to make it to release shows that even Blizzard cannot be guaranteed to come up with a second mmo that can catch the public interest in the way World of Warcraft once did . 

If I were a shareholder I would be starting to get a bit nervous right now because even though Blizzard are still making huge amounts of profit I would be having significant doubts about its long term ability to maintain anything like the income it has now . 

What are you talking about?

Hearstone is making them tons of Money for years to come.

The recent release of Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition on consoles was also a huge Income boost.

The upcoming Heroes of the Storm is going to another Income for them.

The MMORPG market is oversaturated! More and more gamers are burned out on the genre, seeing how they jump from one new release to the next. If the game is good or not doesn´t matter.

And I think even Blizzard has now come to a realisation that World of Warcraft was a one hit wonder that won´t be repeated anymore.

And releasing WoW 2 is way too risky for them. Now they have a very loyal customer base still in WoW. People that are too Heavy invested into their characters.

Releasing a successor might do them more damage than good. As it will kill off WoW and in a New WoW2 People will most likely be bored again within 1 to 2 months and move on to the next MMO release, like they do now.

Leaving Blizzard with two dead MMO´s.

I personally think that is the main reason why the project has been canceled. They have just seen that this is not the time anymore to release yet another MMO into a dying market and that it´s better to invest in other markets instead, like they are doing with Hearstone and the upcoming Heroes of the Storm.

If Blizzard is good at something (seeing Starcraft), then it´s them turning Heroes of the Storm into a huge e-Sport franchise.

So you can bet that is where their full focus is on right now.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by JeroKane

What are you talking about?

Hearstone is making them tons of Money for years to come.

The recent release of Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition on consoles was also a huge Income boost.

The upcoming Heroes of the Storm is going to another Income for them.

The MMORPG market is oversaturated! More and more gamers are burned out on the genre, seeing how they jump from one new release to the next. If the game is good or not doesn´t matter.

And I think even Blizzard has now come to a realisation that World of Warcraft was a one hit wonder that won´t be repeated anymore.

And releasing WoW 2 is way too risky for them. Now they have a very loyal customer base still in WoW. People that are too Heavy invested into their characters.

Releasing a successor might do them more damage than good. As it will kill off WoW and in a New WoW2 People will most likely be bored again within 1 to 2 months and move on to the next MMO release, like they do now.

Leaving Blizzard with two dead MMO´s.

I personally think that is the main reason why the project has been canceled. They have just seen that this is not the time anymore to release yet another MMO into a dying market and that it´s better to invest in other markets instead, like they are doing with Hearstone and the upcoming Heroes of the Storm.

If Blizzard is good at something (seeing Starcraft), then it´s them turning Heroes of the Storm into a huge e-Sport franchise.

So you can bet that is where their full focus is on right now.

I really don't think you have a clue about what I was talking about .I sometimes think some of you people react without thinking things through or you don't actually absorb what it written down ( which wont bode well if your at school or further education for your future ) I didn't imply Blizzard couldn't turn a profit at all I just said the most likely outcome without having a new mmo would be to see a decline in those profits over the years . 

When I say a lack on investment in developing new ideas I meant significant new games not a card game and team brawler . Blizzard have enough money to have developed something like the Dragon age series but the pace their development has been very slow and they are very lazy in coming up with new concepts . They basically rely on Warcraft , Starcraft and Diablo as franchises for the most part . This is a company that has made billions . 

Do you seriously think Blizzard would be able to maintain anything like the income they have now ( or in the past ) relying on games such as Diablo , Heroes of the Storm and Hearth Stone  and the e sports you mention? Not that they are bad games but its monthly subscriptions from an mmo that generate the largest proportion of those profits and WoWs subscription numbers are falling at an alarming rate . What are they now ? nearly half what they were 3 or 4 years ago . 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I really don't think you have a clue about what I was talking about .I sometimes think some of you people react without thinking things through or you don't actually absorb what it written down ( which wont bode well if your at school or further education for your future ) I didn't imply Blizzard couldn't turn a profit at all I just said the most likely outcome without having a new mmo would be to see a decline in those profits over the years . 

When I say a lack on investment in developing new ideas I meant significant new games not a card game and team brawler . Blizzard have enough money to have developed something like the Dragon age series but the pace their development has been very slow and they are very lazy in coming up with new concepts . They basically rely on Warcraft , Starcraft and Diablo as franchises for the most part . This is a company that has made billions . 

Do you seriously think Blizzard would be able to maintain anything like the income they have now ( or in the past ) relying on games such as Diablo , Heroes of the Storm and Hearth Stone  and the e sports you mention? Not that they are bad games but its monthly subscriptions from an mmo that generate the largest proportion of those profits and WoWs subscription numbers are falling at an alarming rate . What are they now ? nearly half what they were 3 or 4 years ago . 

The Subscriptions in WoW have mostly stabilized now. Especially with the upcoming expansion, which seems to become one of the better expansions of WoW since years.

So Blizzard´s best bet is to focus and keep the current 6 million and milk it out as much as possible in coming years.

Rather than releasing a new MMO, that will kill off WoW and then potential fail the New one in the process due to oversaturated market and player burnout on the genre!

This would leave Blizzard in a terrible financial position. A risk they rightfully not willing to take right now.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

I think Titan was dead years ago but they used it as fodder to keep the fanbase subscribing... a hope that something better was coming around the corner.  Well, if it took them 7 years to make nothing, it will take them another 7 years to make whatever it is they promise to make next.  That means... WoW is going to have even more expansions... I can see it now... level 600 toons that hit for 10,000,000,000 with 10 specs, and play every role, can have every profession... all sitting in their garrisons waiting for queues to pop.

It finally is a lobby game!

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by Pepeq

I think Titan was dead years ago but they used it as fodder to keep the fanbase subscribing... a hope that something better was coming around the corner.  Well, if it took them 7 years to make nothing, it will take them another 7 years to make whatever it is they promise to make next.  That means... WoW is going to have even more expansions... I can see it now... level 600 toons that hit for 10,000,000,000 with 10 specs, and play every role, can have every profession... all sitting in their garrisons waiting for queues to pop.

It finally is a lobby game!

Based on your couple sentencing you know nothing about where WoW is heading. You really shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

This proves exactly why I don't follow hype or games coming down the pipe.  Hype never pays off in general, and in this example, well, that's obvious... I have nothing to be let down about. :)

Founders packs, pre-orders, paying for an unfinished product... that's all the same thing to me.  I refuse to get involved in any of it.

When your game ships, I'll read some reviews, play a demo if one exists, and I'll judge for myself if I want to pay for it.

Anything else is just a waste of time and money, for anyone.

For the love of Dog, please stop paying companies to TEST their software.  I have friends who make 70-100k a year doing this, and now companies want you to PAY THEM for this honor?  Don't be a tool.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Well Blizzard need to do something as WoW will not last forever, in fact 10 yrs is a long time for a game to be running (not many make it to that point). If blizzard are still going to rely on WoW then they will be foolish.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I want to point out how dumb Blizzard is.

If you were going to invest ANY money into a game,would you not first judge it by public opinion rather than inside your own business?

This approach is "oh it will fail no matter what,let's scrap it".I say wtf,why would you not utilize some very early Alpha build to get some actual player feedback,then if all the players say it does not look promising then either scrap it or take on some ideas from the community.

Their approach to me is so amateur it is not funny,makes me wonder how the heck they could be a successful business run like this.I somehow get the feeling this also has to do with licensing the game engine they were going to use.Perhaps they are so cheap and it was only a one time use,so they decided to keep the license for another game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

No. just for the WoW playerbase who was waiting for Titan ¨the next-Gen WoW¨ for like 6 years, but now they will only get, guess what? more WoW xpacs. 

But not all the people who love MMOs care about WoW. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Khm, in which dimension you live? In our dimension MMO genre is live more then ever, more then ever gamers playing, more then ever MMO titles running, more then ever good titles running (Wow, Swtor, Rift, Gw2, ... just to mention few). I'm more happy then ever, actually, my complain  nowadays is there are so many MMO titles I would love to play, but do not have enough time.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Even though I am not a Blizzard fan I hate to hear long time projects scraped by anyone.  But it is a sign of times, I guess with consoles, and crappy free to play games, which are not really free if you want to have a gaming experience, content locusts jumping from game to game, no company can seem to please anyone these days, keep content flowing and omg if you have a sub it seems.

I think the days of mmo/rpg's might be getting numbered to be replaced by something that is a shadow of their former selves, sad really, I have enjoyed mmorpg's since the 90's

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

Im not surprised the Blizzard killed the project. After all the time invested and the rumor mills grinding out theories its about time.

WoW is a beast, it set standards and whether you believe they took ideas from other games and genres or not you have to admit its still going strong. I dont think Blizzard needs a second MMORPG. Hell I dont think it would have been successful.

Truth be told Blizzard hasnt really been the front leader for Game development in a long time. They havent created any new engines and really do you think they have the mindset of developing a new game when they have WoW on the brain? For any who have worked on large projects this would be a daunting task.

So yeah good job Blizz focus on what you have. Besides when Citadel of Sorcery finally goes into alpha things in the MMORPG field will get turned on its head. I am so looking forward to that day.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery