Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working on a New Build

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Normally I'd tell people that whether something is a good deal depends on what they pay for it.  But you don't seem terribly sensitive to price.

I will say that you're looking to waste a lot of money on memory unless you have some very unusual needs.  4 GB is enough for most people today, and most people should double that to 8 GB for future-proofing purposes.  On your budget, you could maybe justify 16 GB (especially if you get Haswell-E, where you want four modules and the smallest modules are 4 GB each), but 32 GB is ridiculous unless you have very unusual needs.

There's also the issue of memory speeds.  More pointedly, they don't matter unless you're trying to feed integrated graphics.  You could maybe justify 2133 MHz just because it's not much more expensive than 1600 MHz, but anything over that gets into ridiculous territory pretty quickly unless it's nearly the same price as 2133 MHz.

You don't mention an operating system.  If you go with Windows 7, you should be aware that Windows 7 Home Premium will not address more than 16 GB of system memory.  Windows 7 Professional or any 64-bit version of Windows 8 will allow 128 GB or more, so that's not a meaningful restriction.

Nor do you mention an optical drive.  They're not used so much anymore, but you do need a way to install the OS.

You probably want an aftermarket CPU cooler, but you don't mention anything there, either.

You're looking at some very nice motherboards, but I don't see the point of spending $400-$500 for a flagship motherboard.  You can probably get a motherboard that will offer everything you want for half the price.

-----

The CPU platform choice is a complicated situation.  The Core i7-4790K has excellent single-threaded performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now, it still has the fastest single-threaded performance at stock speeds on the market, as there's a good chance that with the emphasis on lower power consumption, future process nodes will push clock speeds down rather than up.

There are three basic things that Haswell-E can offer that Core i7-4790K doesn't:

1)  More than four CPU cores.

2)  Two PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots.

3)  Four memory channels, both for enormous memory bandwidth and to allow up to 64 GB of system memory rather than 32 GB.

The third doesn't matter for consumers at all, at least apart from needing to feed more than four CPU cores.  The second barely matters for SLI/CrossFire rigs, and not at all for other systems.  So really, the first (more cores) is the reason to look at Haswell-E.

How soon will there be games where a Core i7-4790K isn't fast enough, but other CPUs on the market are?  (The latter condition is necessary to exclude poorly coded games that manage to run badly on everything.)  I'd expect it to be a long, long time.  Still, if single-threaded performance isn't going up, a CPU that you buy today might well last you a decade.

It's also worth noting that not only is Haswell-E slower at single-threaded performance than a Core i7-4790K out of the box, but there's no guarantee that you can even overclock it to match the stock performance of the 4790K.  They're both Haswell cores, but if you get the 5820K, you're getting the bottom bin of the chip rather than the top bin.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

I'm working on building a new PC here are the current parts I'm looking at, tell me what you all think of them.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (CC-9011030-WW) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Cube High Airflow Cube Case

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA/WATCH DOGS LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K

GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-2980-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 G-SYNC Support Video Card x 2 SLI

Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model F3-2666C11Q-32GTXD

Storage: Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The other thing I was thinking about was getting the new ASUS mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME and get a Haswell 5k series with DDR4 RAM. I already have the two 980's and the computer case.

As for harddrive I would rather go for a 128 Gb SSD and a 1-3 TB regular drive depending on your needs. Having the OS and priority games on a SSD and everything else on a regular drive gives you great performance and a lot of space for a relatively small sum.

Besides that, what PSU do you plan to use? Putting a really good build with a crappy powersupply is not a good idea at all.

Otherwise it looks nice, but the DDR4 memories are supposed to come out this winter so you might consider getting the GFX card and harddrives right now and put in your old build and then get the rest when the new memories comes out.

You'll get PCI Express 3.0 no matter what you get, unless you decide to get a Socket AM3+ system for some inscrutable reason.  If you get a normal Haswell system (Core i7-4790K), you'll have two physical PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots, but if you plug a video card into both, you'll get x8 bandwidth.  If you get a Haswell-E system with a Core i7-5820K, you'll get the same situation.  If you get a Haswell-E system with a Core i7-5930K or -5960X, then you can get PCI Express 3.0 x16 bandwidth for both cards at once, rather than x8 bandwidth.

The question, of course, is:  does that extra bandwidth matter?  The answer to that is that while it would be easy to create a synthetic benchmark where it did, in real games available today, the difference will be small enough that it may or may not even be measurable.

If you believe that the CPU load reducing features of recent OpenGL extensions to reduce CPU load and near future versions of DirectX will take off and lead to games having massively more API calls per frame, then in such games, the extra PCI Express bandwidth might make a substantial difference.  A DirectX game that tries that would probably be unplayable on Windows 7 or 8, however.  A game that tries that regardless of API would probably be unplayable on Radeon HD 6000 or GeForce 500 series or earlier cards, too.  While I do expect it to happen eventually, it likely won't happen in the useful lifetime of your machine.

There's also the possibility of some corner cases where a game finds some interesting use for massive amounts of PCI Express bandwidth.  I find that plausible, but not especially likely.

-----

For your purposes, the only meaningful difference between DDR3 and DDR4 is that DDR4 is more expensive.  "It uses DDR4" shouldn't be taken as a selling point until DDR4 becomes cheaper--and even then, only in laptops where the power consumption difference matters or when running integrated graphics so that the memory bandwidth matters.  Ordinary Haswell requires DDR3 while Haswell-E requires DDR4, so which memory standard you need is dictated by that.

Originally posted by Loke666

I'm working on building a new PC here are the current parts I'm looking at, tell me what you all think of them.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (CC-9011030-WW) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Cube High Airflow Cube Case

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA/WATCH DOGS LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K

GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-2980-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 G-SYNC Support Video Card x 2 SLI

Memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model F3-2666C11Q-32GTXD

Storage: Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The other thing I was thinking about was getting the new ASUS mobo: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME and get a Haswell 5k series with DDR4 RAM. I already have the two 980's and the computer case.

As for harddrive I would rather go for a 128 Gb SSD and a 1-3 TB regular drive depending on your needs. Having the OS and priority games on a SSD and everything else on a regular drive gives you great performance and a lot of space for a relatively small sum.

Besides that, what PSU do you plan to use? Putting a really good build with a crappy powersupply is not a good idea at all.

Otherwise it looks nice, but the DDR4 memories are supposed to come out this winter so you might consider getting the GFX card and harddrives right now and put in your old build and then get the rest when the new memories comes out.

DDR4 is already out.  But which memory standard gets used is dictated by what the platform requires.

If someone is going to spend $1000+ on video cards, $300+ on a CPU, $300+ on a motherboard, and looking to spend $300+ on memory, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to spend $200 on an SSD.  Getting half a terabyte of SSD capacity doesn't cost anywhere near what it used to.  That's probably the capacity that I'll get myself in my next computer.

-----

Ordinarily, 650 W is plenty of power for a fairly high end gaming rig.  But an SLI rig together with a high powered CPU is pushing it, especially on an older power supply.  Most gaming systems have just a single GPU.  But while the GTX 980 is efficient, I don't entirely believe the promised 165 W TDP; AnandTech, for example, found the card using a mere 6 W less than a GTX 770 with its 230 W TDP, while Tech Report found the card using 2 W more than a GTX 770.

The old power supply would probably be fine.  But I wouldn't recommend that you risk frying $2000+ of hardware on a power supply that will "probably" be fine.  The Corsair HX850 that you're looking at will definitely be fine.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    if ya want to save some moneyz go amd ..i know intel is better in some ways but ..ya

The last thing I forgot to discuss would be the Monitor.  I was thinking of going with 2 or even 3 ASUS VG248QE to take full advantage of two 980's. If I purchased 3 I'd pivot them so that they'd be viewed like a portrait.

Be warned that TN panels don't offer very good image quality, and the vertical viewing angles are especially bad.  Normally you're always about the same vertical height as a desktop monitor, so the vertical viewing angles aren't too much of a problem.  But if you pivot them for portrait mode, what was vertical viewing angles becomes horizontal instead, and it will often look terrible.

I still think it's nuts to spend $400+ on memory.  Even if you want ridiculous overkill just because you like ridiculous overkill, just get 16 GB and call it a day:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231757

Even getting two of those would save you $100+ as compared to what you're looking at with no difference outside of synthetic benchmarks.  Being able to run it at 1.5 V would sure save on how much stress you put on the system, too.

Originally posted by Quizzical

DDR4 is already out.  But which memory standard gets used is dictated by what the platform requires.

If someone is going to spend $1000+ on video cards, $300+ on a CPU, $300+ on a motherboard, and looking to spend $300+ on memory, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to spend $200 on an SSD.  Getting half a terabyte of SSD capacity doesn't cost anywhere near what it used to.  That's probably the capacity that I'll get myself in my next computer.

-----

Ordinarily, 650 W is plenty of power for a fairly high end gaming rig.  But an SLI rig together with a high powered CPU is pushing it, especially on an older power supply.  Most gaming systems have just a single GPU.  But while the GTX 980 is efficient, I don't entirely believe the promised 165 W TDP; AnandTech, for example, found the card using a mere 6 W less than a GTX 770 with its 230 W TDP, while Tech Report found the card using 2 W more than a GTX 770.

The old power supply would probably be fine.  But I wouldn't recommend that you risk frying $2000+ of hardware on a power supply that will "probably" be fine.  The Corsair HX850 that you're looking at will definitely be fine.

They are? Crud, I been working too much lately. And worse, now I need to save money the next few months for a new build.

As for the SSD he said later that he already had a 2 TB drive he also would put in and then it is fine. I rather have a smaller and a regular HD then just 500 gig. When he already have a regular HD then it is just to go for it. 500 gig tends to fill up rather quickly (I have 13.5 TB myself and can slot in a few more for backup).

That is just what I was thinking, with that much spending is using an old unnamed CPU not so bright, unless he had a good one before.

And yes, the Corsair PSU is good stuff. And a good PSU should last for the next build as well so it is a good investment.

Originally posted by BurntCabbage
    if ya want to save some moneyz go amd ..i know intel is better in some ways but ..ya

When you've already spent $1000+ on video cards and you're looking to spend $300+ on a motherboard and $400+ on memory, spending $300 on a CPU is perfectly reasonable by comparison.  Even if he needed to cut the budget by $500, I don't think it would make sense to cut back on the CPU just yet.

Originally posted by Quizzical
    The last thing I forgot to discuss would be the Monitor.  I was thinking of going with 2 or even 3 ASUS VG248QE to take full advantage of two 980's. If I purchased 3 I'd pivot them so that they'd be viewed like a portrait.

Be warned that TN panels don't offer very good image quality, and the vertical viewing angles are especially bad.  Normally you're always about the same vertical height as a desktop monitor, so the vertical viewing angles aren't too much of a problem.  But if you pivot them for portrait mode, what was vertical viewing angles becomes horizontal instead, and it will often look terrible.

I still think it's nuts to spend $400+ on memory.  Even if you want ridiculous overkill just because you like ridiculous overkill, just get 16 GB and call it a day:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231757

Even getting two of those would save you $100+ as compared to what you're looking at with no difference outside of synthetic benchmarks.  Being able to run it at 1.5 V would sure save on how much stress you put on the system, too.

I currently use a TN panel. It's quite old, Acer p243w.  Different types all have their issues. I think I'll be fine with this.

Try looking at your current monitor from above at about a 30-40 degree angle above it.  See if you still think the image quality is fine, because in portrait mode, you're going to be looking at monitors from a significant "vertical" viewing angle a lot.

That said, if you value high refresh rates over better image quality, that's your decision.

The last thing I forgot to discuss would be the Monitor.  I was thinking of going with 2 or even 3 ASUS VG248QE to take full advantage of two 980's. If I purchased 3 I'd pivot them so that they'd be viewed like a portrait. I want a monitor with incredible response times and refresh rates.

I use a dell U2723 HM with 2560 x 1440. A great screen for a surprisingly good price. Good response time as well.

It might just be me but I love that high resolution, and I recommend it or that you at least should have a look on it. The 4K ones are still a bit to pricey to say the least.

The last thing I forgot to discuss would be the Monitor.  I was thinking of going with 2 or even 3 ASUS VG248QE to take full advantage of two 980's. If I purchased 3 I'd pivot them so that they'd be viewed like a portrait. I want a monitor with incredible response times and refresh rates.

I use a dell U2723 HM with 2560 x 1440. A great screen for a surprisingly good price. Good response time as well.

It might just be me but I love that high resolution, and I recommend it or that you at least should have a look on it. The 4K ones are still a bit to pricey to say the least.

I can't seem to find the monitor you're talking about.

"Dell 27" UltraSharp U2713HM IPS" or 

Dell U2713H Black 27" 6ms (GTG) HDMI IPS-panel Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor.

Is a few variants here: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-LED-Monitors/BrandSubCat/ID-10772-20?Order=PRICED

And for some reason do windows give it the wrong name, that is why you couldn't find it....

"Dell 27" UltraSharp U2713HM IPS" or 

Dell U2713H Black 27" 6ms (GTG) HDMI IPS-panel Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor.

Is a few variants here: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-LED-Monitors/BrandSubCat/ID-10772-20?Order=PRICED

And for some reason do windows give it the wrong name, that is why you couldn't find it....

Very interesting, honestly I've never used anything other than TN panel. It might be nice to use an IPS for a change. Especially since I no longer play competitive FPS.

It is very nice, there is no way I would go back to a regular screen again. But I recommend that whatever you choose you go to a good store and look it out with your own eyes. what really sealed the deal for me was how bright this screen can get, the colors look far better then together with the rather high resolution (which I been missing since I started with LCD screens).

A good screen that fits you is very important, you can cough up $3000 on a desktop but with a crappy screen you will miss the potential anyways.

Hopefully will the prices on 4k OLED screens drop the next few years so we can afford that as well (but then we might have occulus instead). :)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

THe only difference I can percieve between a TN and an IPS, is that the TN looks washed out when you set it side by side to the IPS. Your coming from a competitive FPS standpoint, you may be more perceptive to the difference in response time than I am though - as long as it's under around 20ms I can't tell any longer.

That being said - do realise that a lot of those specs you read on the monitors are mostly made up marketing jargon numbers - they put whatever they can get away with to try to show that it's "better" than the competition with the least amount of basis in actual fact that they can pull off.

Two companies that sell the exact same panel, just bundled up in a different bezel could have differences as high as 2-3x on the "refresh" paramenter: one may publish the full black-black, another may go gray-to-gray, and then you aren't saying which direction your going to gray in (that matters somewhat), or what shade of gray you are going to (that matters a lot). There are absolutely no standards which define how to measure pixel response time, and the manufacturer can test and print this spec however they choose to do so.