Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow lag makes this game unplayable

mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
I downloaded this game yesterday, I started a character in the East coast server and the lag is horrible, enough said that I could barely take 2 steps, dead, dead, dead, not fun to play a game with such a lag, the game looks great but when you cannot play an awesome game due to lag, enough said, deleted from PC.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Comments

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Ok then.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Dial up isn't ideal for gaming anymore. I would consider an upgrade.

• PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

Sounds like you pretty much had my first time experience, though I played much earlier when the game was beta/fresh. You probably spawned in the middle of some base being hit by a zerg train and losing. At that point, usually there's a lot of shots being exchanged and generally a lot of dying going on for the losing side.

I'd say give it another shot, find quiet places to spawn in. And learn to keep your head down. One thing I learned in this game is you will die fast, very fast indeed, unless you learn to treat the battlefield more like a real one. Stick with people, learn situational awareness and teamplay, and use cover. Else you'll get blasted within seconds. Once you get a hang of it though, you'll blast enemies in seconds as well, though. And that's kind of making for a fun and intense moment to moment gameplay.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i played this game since beta, and i witnessed alot, but surely no lag.

maybe concider getting a line upgrade if you wanna keep playing FPS games.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Maybe it just seem like lag because you joined Vanu Svereignty or new conglomerate and are being owned by the awesomely skilled TR?
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    I downloaded this game yesterday, I started a character in the East coast server and the lag is horrible, enough said that I could barely take 2 steps, dead, dead, dead, not fun to play a game with such a lag, the game looks great but when you cannot play an awesome game due to lag, enough said, deleted from PC.

Maybe its time to retire that Intel Q6600 you're using  :)

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I dont have this problem.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I too have been playing this game for years and never experience lag issues.

Not much in the way of issues of any kind actually.  This is my first person shooter go-to game.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    You must have a horribad PC or connection cuz i have never had your problem. I dont think the Commodore 64 is ideal to play Planetside 2 on.... jus sayin!
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by mayito7777

I'm going to break it to you: you will die a lot at the beginning, lag or no lag. Everyone gets plenty of new holes when they start this game.

So this "2 steps thing, dead, dead, dead" it means you need to improve your game. The game has a very steep learning curve. There are plenty of good tutorials out there.

It's also fairly demanding graphically, so you might want to put those graphics option at a minimum to see if your "lag" is really that. Then check your internet connection.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Ya, if you get in a situation where you're severely outnumbered, you will die a lot if you don't just hang back and try to pick off easy targets.  Usually I just go to the next more fortified based (with more faction members defending) and hope for a better fight.

I also had a lot of lag when I first started PS2 before I got a newer series processor.  I had a Q series and though it played most everything else fine, PS2 needed way more juice.  With an i7 I've run the game with 60fps+ for last year.

That said, recently I went back and found some new random lag spike bug that made the game almost unplayable.  It happens regardless if people are around or not.  Happens several times a minute and almost always gets me killed if in a firefight.  I uninstalled because there was no solution for it on the boards, even though many other players are experiencing it too.  I even thought it was a ram issue so I upgraded from 8gb to 16gb, but no improvement.

• tenekoshkatenekoshka Member Posts: 2

Regarding network lag issues - I discovered that sometimes lag depends on selected DNS in your network setup, I started using some utility to find the fastest DNS servers and it improved much

Still there are some cases of extreme lag (sec +), restarting the client can help sometimes.

As for HW specs, the client is very CPU hungry, disabling / setting shadows to low can help much with fps.

With all that, it's still the most fun game out there!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

You're a little bit quick to judge aren't you? I can still play the game fine even in the biggest battles (like the 1K+ world record attempt), when I have 300 ms or so.

In fact, I dare say that I have never encountered any lag so bad that the game stuttered for me in 200 hours of playing it. So you should definitely review your own provider, or system.

That said, this game depends a lot upon a fast connection and having good ms. It still plays fine for me with 300ms, but when that happens enemies with better connections to the servers always get the jump on me. When I'm playing with 30ms it's the other way around.

Planetside 2 is very unforgiving for newbies, the TTK is often ridiculously low. Which is likely the aspect of the game that I enjoy the least.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95

Most likely, its you computer is substandard, o0r your internet connection. I had to stop playing PS2 on my Dlink wireless gigait router wirelessly. I ran a Ethernet cable and my "bad connections" went away.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• Drew213Drew213 Member UncommonPosts: 60

People that die from lag are the same people who blow themselves up at the gas pump with flammable objects. Its a occurrence that happens to all. The only difference is we learn to fix or stream line the options of what we have to fit the needs of the now. Hands down BEST FPS out. Makes BF and COD look like McDonalds Playland age limit 10. So please list out rig and dx Diag or something because I fix issues and would love to help.

• tenekoshkatenekoshka Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Drew213

People that die from lag are the same people who blow themselves up at the gas pump with flammable objects. Its a occurrence that happens to all. The only difference is we learn to fix or stream line the options of what we have to fit the needs of the now. Hands down BEST FPS out. Makes BF and COD look like McDonalds Playland age limit 10. So please list out rig and dx Diag or something because I fix issues and would love to help.

+100 !

Now with SOE acquisition by some unknown investment firm, it's important to support this game IMHO.

I'd hate to see its decline, since it is probably the only game out there that makes me want to spend hours on without ever getting bored.

This is a unique, social, skill-based game. Yes, you die. But eventually you learn to pick your fights, how to position yourself, how to move and aim - and you start getting some harvest.