Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survey...

sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I don't know how this game is going to turn out but I did just see a survey from them that included the following line asking about what their possible players wanted which made me think... well this isn't good...

Please choose the options that best represent why you have left previous MMOs:
Not Enough Pay to Win Options

Comments

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Nevermind that there were 20 other options including the opposite of that one.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by saker

I don't know how this game is going to turn out but I did just see a survey from them that included the following line asking about what their possible players wanted which made me think... well this isn't good...

While this option ruins the game for many/most of us, there are many people who wants this in a game and they will pay to achieve an advantage over others.

• StormtrooperDHStormtrooperDH Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Got a link to that survey ? 
  • joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

I like the survey approach. Tells you they are actually ainterested in knowing what their fanbase/followers or afficionados of the genre are thinking.

Does it mean they'll take whatever is the highest % in each category and implement that as is? Heck no. Any sensible game designer knows they need to know their players/fans, but that they should avoid listening to every whim and desire of their vocal player base.

First off, they're that : the type of people who want to answer a survey, get online, participate, etc.  engage in these activites because they may have personality traits different from those who don't  or different amount of leisure time or interests; so they do not necessarily represent your whole player base.

Second, people do not always know what they really want and many have a tendency not to best the best judge of their own character. I think the clever game designer will take what they know and understand of their players to impact how they design certain areas, not to actual face values. Those good are making that translation are the successful ones; I think its the same in many different areas, and especially when it comes to entertainment.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    It's finished so there wasn't much point necroing the thread.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by ReaperUk
    It's finished so there wasn't much point necroing the thread.

Mate, this site uses the Yank's time format (MM-DD-YYYY), making this thread less than one month old, so hardly a necro ;)

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Just as a note, the survey is closed at this time, but we are going through the data. We will be releasing some information once we've finished our analysis.
    That's great news, thanks Kayletta :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

While this option ruins the game for many/most of us, there are many people who wants this in a game and they will pay to achieve an advantage over others.

not many. The minority called whales.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

not many. The minority called whales.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

In the open world pvp system with open world crafting, sieging and taking other peoples cities... with p2w, it could ruin the game.

It would be a game for elitists ruining the game for casuals, or those that want to enjoy end game without feeling the need to fork out more than $15 a month, or joining a huge guild, or spending endless hours grinding.

However, I like a lot about what repopulation is doing, and i hope they dont turn it into a 'you must grind xx hours to prepare for next step to end game'.

since then it would mean the game would either only be for those have a lot of time on their hand to play end game, or with p2w for wealthy elitist gamers.

It would be nice if there was a balance to being able to reach end game and immediately participate and feel that one person can have an impact.

Sure open world resource gathering etc should require groups or players that hire npcs. Since alternatively hiring npcs might offer protection but there might not be any resources. Its things like this kind of balance to allow players to hold their ground better to even the playing field more for different play styles. However it allows groups (compared to solo players) to save money to invest in other things such as expansion and defenses of their cities.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    The whales will hire homeless to vote on "not enough pay to win" on internet cafe's around the world and turn the game into another ArcheAge :(
  • BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972
    Nice.  Will be interesting to see the outcome.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    The whales will hire homeless to vote on "not enough pay to win" on internet cafe's around the world and turn the game into another ArcheAge :(

While the OP tried to say that the survey was asking what options players want in an MMO, that isn't what those P2W questions were asking at all. What was actually asked was:

What were the reasons you left your last MMO (list any)

22% said Too Many P2W options.

0% said Too Few P2W options (7 total votes)

What was the biggest reason you left your last MMO (list one):

2% said Too Many P2W options

0% said Too Few P2W options (0 total votes)

Those choices were among a long and comprehensive list of other topics.