Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learning english by joining a guild and using VOIP

AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Firstly, I have a C1 level in english, and I would want to speak fluently by practising it (I didn't have the opportunity since I got my certificate two years ago, except watching english media and speaking to myself) The idea would be to join an english/international guild in a game to speak with them on VOIP programs, like Team Speak or Raidcall. The problem is that I always have avoided doing so because sometimes, my english  is very bad (it must be stress or something) whilst in other times I can speak quite decently. I had some experiences in EVE Online when our corporation had to join a fleet with foreign corporations or our alliance. Sometimes it is really difficult to follow the conversation, not to mention the names of the null sec systems make the things even more complicate, and you have to react fast. Sometimes it was a nightmare.

Back into the topic, I don't know if I'll be able to cope with it. I mean, the first months when you are practising another language you sound like an adult speaking like a child. And it is very frustrating. Furthermore, in VOIP programs it is quite common to have the problem of having everybody wanting to speak at the same time (even in clans of my native language)

Have anybody here ever tried this?

PS I am wondering about joining one of the new Archeage's servers to not to wait a queue (although in my current server the queue is 25% of what it used to be), but in general, I don't want to be compromised with a guild that takes things seriously (like planning raids or wars), and sometimes I prefer to chill doing other things or playing World of Tanks. Archeage would be a secondary game for me.

Comments

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89

I think being a guild with english speakers will definitely help you.

I am a native English speaker (Murica!) but I almost exclusively play with BRs. My experience has been great. I knew essentially no Portuguese going in but have learned some Portuguese here and there just by playing with them and being taught words/phrases. What actually may be more related to you is that many of the BRs talk to me in English. They essentially have conversations with me in English to practice, ask me pronunciation, etc. If you join a guild where English is the main spoken language you'll have an opportunity to listen to native English speakers, practice your own English and ask questions when you have them.

Just reread your post and noticed the "I don't speak English on TS because my English is very bad". Everyone says that and they are just about always wrong. If people are having a difficult time understanding you, it's infinitely more likely poor mic quality/background noise than how you speak English.

Go for it, OP.

ps- I remember watching something on TV about this woman who learned English by watching American television shows when she moved from Slovenia to America for her daughter's health needs.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Thanks for your encouragement and your experience. Portuguese could be very difficult, like any other roman language, for english speakers.

I'll try, but I hope not to learn incorrect expressions like we do in spanish (very often because we are too lazy to finish the next words)

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by AtrusV

Thanks for your encouragement and your experience. Portuguese could be very difficult, like any other roman language, for english speakers.

I'll try, but I hope not to learn incorrect expressions like we do in spanish (very often because we are too lazy to finish the next words)

I took classes in German(3) and Spanish(1) in highschool and Italian(2) in college. Eventhough I remember next to nothing, I do have some experiencing languages, and it helps with pronunciation.

You will learn incorrect expressions in sense that a lot of spoken English is not proper English. Conversational English(American) is not too close to common written English. Laziness is a major factor in for English speakers too. The most basic example is contractions which are heavily used in spoken English and rarely used in properly written English.