Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unrealistic Gameplay?

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

To start, I am a SC backer and really looking forward to the game.

However.. watching some recent game-play footage I have been scratching my head. So obviously it is an advanced time in the future with these fighting spacecraft and fleets etc. Yet you are using a joystick to "lead" projectiles/blaster whatever you want to call them with manual aim like it's World War I bi-planes? 

Surely such advanced technology would be so far beyond that it just seems silly. I think future space combat would be more of a tactician role, IE: EvE online where one guy runs large automated ships and selects targets etc. Doesn't actually point a ship in a direction with a joystick to aim and lead dumb projectiles. 

So that takes us to "game-play". Would people want to see a more realistic advanced combat system or the less realistic "spin my joystick around and manually target" approach?

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

IMO EvE combat is not fun. It's very dull. I'm hoping for X-Wing vs Tie Fighter style combat. I probably won't know if it's realistic or not in my life time.

Also, if technology is as amazing as you predict we won't be putting humans in the attack ships. Why waste human life when you could probably fight battles from earth using a joystick?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Hmm....

When it comes to interstellar combat, I really don't think our species knows what the fuck realistic combat is yet. Lol

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ICEBLUEICEBLUE Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I am a backer as well, and would like to see some advanced method of targeting, it makes sense for advanced spacecraft, computers etc to be able to lock onto a target, we can do it with todays fighters.
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by immodium

Also, if technology is as amazing as you predict we won't be putting humans in the attack ships. Why waste human life when you could probably fight battles from earth using a joystick?

Amazing as I predict? They are already planning on the F35 to be the last manned fighter, and everything else passed that super high tech drones with auto targeting.

How is pointing a ship at an opponent manually with a joystick and leading your target with fixed guns ala WWI Bi-Planes even a consideration?

Ok, Don't get me wrong, it will be mega fun. But so completely unrealistic it's almost laughable..

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133

What's the point of having a pilot then?

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Originally posted by immodium

Amazing as I predict? They are already planning on the F35 to be the last manned fighter, and everything else passed that super high tech drones with auto targeting.

How is pointing a ship at an opponent manually with a joystick and leading your target with fixed guns ala WWI Bi-Planes even a consideration?

Ok, Don't get me wrong, it will be mega fun. But so completely unrealistic it's almost laughable..

ummm you don know even drone, and fighter jets have fixed guns right, its only missles that can lock on, trying to place a turret on a high velocity aircraft like we do on helicopters wouldnt work it would bend or get ripped off, or at the very least mess with the aerodynamics, also yes its space but not all the weapon are fixed, several have turrets even amoung the fighters.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    It's a game. Sure, it might not be how things will realistically turn out, but this is the best way to do it and make it fun. The way it was done in EVE was not fun at all if you ask me... 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Everything about space games is unrealistic. Why just stop at aiming if you're going to go down that road. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

With all do respect OP

Lets talk about realistic and what the reality will most likely be.

This is the 21st century. We don't even have re-entry vehicles yet and were taking control out of human hands and giving it to AI never mind what the tech will be like when we can travel between star systems.  Realistically combat will have zero human interaction.

Remember when the Europeans came to North America and wiped out 70% of the native population with small pox? The reality is we will never be able to have skin to skin contact with an alien race from another planet. It would be the death of us and them.

Even today with modern aircraft you will most likely never see your adversary with your naked eye, you will already have shot him down from 20 miles away.

Star Citizen is about entertainment. Dog fighting up close and personal is what entertains most. Realistically you wouldn't  do a damn thing because the AI already thought of a billion possibilities and pressed the trigger in a nanosecond.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

too much thinking, just embrace the rule of cool.

Star Wars did it too. 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Chris Roberts has always done the same thing in every project he was ever associated with, from the Wing Commander series, to Freelancer and now Star Citizen.

He makes flight sims in space. No Newtonien Physics like we saw in Frontier and probably again in the lates itteration of Elite, but as the OP describes, joystick controlled flight like a normal sim. He just removes gravity and up and down from the equation.

Personally I love his games, I've played all of them and always enjoyed them. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I would love to see a system with a fire control engagement. 

Basically a system when you have to do " FAST " math and enter in vectors into a targeting computer.

Would be great to take gaming back to geek and dragging the math back into it.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

To start, I am a SC backer and really looking forward to the game.

However.. watching some recent game-play footage I have been scratching my head. So obviously it is an advanced time in the future with these fighting spacecraft and fleets etc. Yet you are using a joystick to "lead" projectiles/blaster whatever you want to call them with manual aim like it's World War I bi-planes? 

Surely such advanced technology would be so far beyond that it just seems silly. I think future space combat would be more of a tactician role, IE: EvE online where one guy runs large automated ships and selects targets etc. Doesn't actually point a ship in a direction with a joystick to aim and lead dumb projectiles. 

So that takes us to "game-play". Would people want to see a more realistic advanced combat system or the less realistic "spin my joystick around and manually target" approach?

I would of thought the best place to be having this debate would be on SC forums, however the only reason I can see you asking these questions on here could be either that you might be banned or are scared of what the response might be. Everyone who backed this project have questions about the credibility however only time will tell. I'd be happy to debate this on their forums send me a tell and I'll provide you with my handle there and we can debate this there op.

Asbo

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Chris Roberts has always done the same thing in every project he was ever associated with, from the Wing Commander series, to Freelancer and now Star Citizen.

He makes flight sims in space. No Newtonien Physics

Personally I love his games, I've played all of them and always enjoyed them. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

not correct, SC has absolutely accurate newtonian phsyics and the thrusters are all simulating real physics, so this is the biggest difference to his older titles!

ship maneuverability will vary very much from ship to ship according to weight, how much cargo loaded, which upgrades, which tuning kits.

Maybe not clear to everyone as upgrade system is not fully implemented but you will be able to customize your ship flight experience to extreme levels

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    People are going to be sitting in front of a screen, probably with a sack of Cheetos and a large can of some chemical filled energy drink using a fake name and restarting when they die, and you're calling into question THEIR reality?  Focus people.
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    lol, so basically you want an aimbot, maybe you should have backed a different game.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Saw this video on mmo-champion, looks like all the 'accurate' physics doesn't really count for much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1IEQYHHVw
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Saw this video on mmo-champion, looks like all the 'accurate' physics doesn't really count for much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1IEQYHHVw

Exactly the point I was trying to get across. He may have told us there's physics in this game but they haven't been applied to realistic levels at all. If they were any change in direction would be followed by several minutes of continuing in that direction as you decelerated and applied thrust to your new direction.

You wouldn't get these sudden changes like in the dogfights we're seeing. But that's what CR has always done. I really didn't like the experience when Braben put full physics in Frontier, it just doesn't make for a fun game. I'm quite happy with the way it is.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    . If they were any change in direction would be followed by several minutes of continuing in that direction as you decelerated and applied thrust to your new direction.

just turn off the IFCS and you get exactly the desired behaviour (e.g. rotating on your axis shooting to the direction you came from while you go backwards)

it is just a matter of IFCS on/off, go try it out

don't forget they are still tweaking constantly the flight behaviour too, and don't forget YOU the player will be tweaking your ships flight behaviour a lot with different loadouts and upgrades. Damn even your cargo weight influences the flight behaviour! 

It can't possibly get any better or more realistic

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by DocBrody

IFCS is unrealistic in itself.

Originally posted by Gdemami

IFCS is unrealistic in itself.

so you mean systems that fighter jets have today are unrealistic 900 years in the future?

u mad bro? You can't fly a modern fighter jet without flight assist making 100s of adjustments per second, translating the pilot inputs to the maneuvering systems .

Even a modern car basically works that way.

feel free to turn off IFCS and master flying without it! It's hard as hell

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by DocBrodyso you mean systems that fighter jets have today are unrealistic 900 years in the future?

Fighter jets and space ships aren't the same thing, you know...

There is no reason why a space ship should fly like a plane. Such type of movement makes no sense in space.

There is no "realism" when you make a space ship not fly like a space ship.

so you mean systems that fighter jets have today are unrealistic 900 years in the future?

Fighter jets and space ships aren't the same thing, you know...

There is no reason why a space ship should fly like a plane. Such type of movement makes no sense in space.

There is no "realism" when you make a space ship not fly like a space ship.

then you should get some kind of NASA simulator where space ships look like this and you need 3 weeks realtime for a boring trip to the moon

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

I understand what the OP it is saying but you need to remember this is a game, I see so many people in the SC forum yelling, screaming and shouting while arguing about physics on how their ships should behave, I dont even bother getting involved.

The reason of the joystick is easy to understand, makes the game fun to play, gets your adrenaline pumping, otherwise what is the fun of press button 1 for targeting, press button 2 to blow up?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I've backed SC early on, but as soon as we got to play around with it I was happy that I didn't invest too much of my money, as the ship-controls of this game are simply horrible.

I was hoping for something more simple like Freelancer in that regard.