Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Blizzard’s Titan is Dead

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Hopefully this means more/better development for WoW - maybe actually hitting their 1 expansion per year cycle after 10 years of trying to do so.

A better experience for the final chapter of Starcraft II.

And more/additional Diablo 3 content.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

How does it take seven years to realize its not working?  Seven years, 50, 100+ million dollars?  Colossal waste of time and money.  Maybe those resources could have been poured into making Diablo 3 what it is today from the START, or poured into WoW to revitalize it a bit more instead of constantly playing catch up to other MMOs in the industry in terms of systems and QoL features(such as freakin bag sorting...really?  10 years it took you for that?)   Blizzard is constantly behind the curve with these things.  They got lucky once with WoW early on and hit the market at the right time.  They made their name with it(along with Diablo series of course), and then got complacent.  Other MMOs started doing things differently and now Blizzard is finally catching up to them in terms of revitalizing their game.

Sad to hear this with Titan.  I do think the MMO genre is on the decline.  Wildstar IS a fantastic game.  Its just too hardcore for most.  ESO is a good story and adventure game, I just dont want to play in a bug ridden game.  GW2 is an amazing open word adventure game but arenanet is crapping on their title with living story.

Right now, Im REALLY enjoying diablo 3, I always have enjoyed the game.  Its probably my #1 game right now.  I play minecraft with my wife.  And ocassionally sub in some Warframe.  Maybe I'll sub to WoW for ONE month in a few days to see if I can get into it again.  Haven't played since 2011.  Much has changed so it'll be hard to get back into the swing of it.  However, it might be my last hoorah for an MMO.

Maybe Im getting too old for MMOs, like most people?

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Hopefully this mean more resources into starcraft2.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I am surprised that none of the posters (that I have read so far) made any comments about Blizzard's comments on making MMOs. From what I read it sounds that Blizzard is not interested in making any MMOs and furthermore, trying to get out of the image that they are an MMO company.

These comments make me wonder how many resources Blizzard is going to continue to keep on WOW. From the tone of the interview I do not see much enthusiasm on doing more with WOW. I was hoping that they would move the devs that were working on Titan to WOW but after this interview I do not see that happening. It seems that Blizzard is going to be doing what several posters on this site have suggested - just put enough in WOW to keep it going.

Almost everything that I have seen on WOD suggests that is the case. New character models? No breakthrough here - just have the models last longer.  Draenor - a repeat of CATA - take an existing world and modify it rather than do something new. Dumb down even further the talents and skills - easier to make programming changes.

For me cancelling Titan is a non-issue. Gone are the days where I would buy everything that Blizzard produced. Blizzard as the titan of pc gaming fell long ago.

• mokwhymokwhy Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Good Hope the copmany dies whit it sick off Blizzard’s games and fan boys
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by tordurbar

I am surprised that none of the posters (that I have read so far) made any comments about Blizzard's comments on making MMOs. From what I read it sounds that Blizzard is not interested in making any MMOs and furthermore, trying to get out of the image that they are an MMO company.

These comments make me wonder how many resources Blizzard is going to continue to keep on WOW. From the tone of the interview I do not see much enthusiasm on doing more with WOW. I was hoping that they would move the devs that were working on Titan to WOW but after this interview I do not see that happening. It seems that Blizzard is going to be doing what several posters on this site have suggested - just put enough in WOW to keep it going.

Almost everything that I have seen on WOD suggests that is the case. New character models? No breakthrough here - just have the models last longer.  Draenor - a repeat of CATA - take an existing world and modify it rather than do something new. Dumb down even further the talents and skills - easier to make programming changes.

For me cancelling Titan is a non-issue. Gone are the days where I would buy everything that Blizzard produced. Blizzard as the titan of pc gaming fell long ago.

Blizzard has already said they have 7 to 10 more expansions planned for WOW. What else they have to say to make you believe they will continue to support WOW?

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Disagree with you, Bill.

Unfortunately, I do see this as a mark of the end. Between ESO and WS coming up short on projections, GW2s rapid decline, EQNs internal problems, and now this cancellation, tyhe writing is on the wall.

Too expensive to make coupled with an audience that expects massive monthly updates for free is just not a good business venture.

Blizzard is opting out of the genre, my guess is SoE will be next.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Blizzard has already said they have 7 to 10 more expansions planned for WOW. What else they have to say to make you believe they will continue to support WOW?

Plans don't always work out.  That said I am sure they will be fine for the next 5 or so years, after that we'll see.   The stark reality is that they are losing subs, and likely will continue to do so(on average) for some time and probably at the rate of around 1-1.5 million a year(like they have been) .  Less income means they have to make some tough choices, less profits or less content and maintain profits.  I'm sorry if I'm a bit pessimistic about what they will choose.  It likely means a shift to more grindy Garrison like content that provides a massive time sink through repetition.  The move to faster xpack releases may help because they spend less money creating content on player sub fees and charge them more money more often for new content.  Anyway it should be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by jbombard

Plans don't always work out.  That said I am sure they will be fine for the next 5 or so years, after that we'll see.   The stark reality is that they are losing subs, and likely will continue to do so(on average) for some time and probably at the rate of around 1-1.5 million a year(like they have been) .  Less income means they have to make some tough choices, less profits or less content and maintain profits.  I'm sorry if I'm a bit pessimistic about what they will choose.  It likely means a shift to more grindy Garrison like content that provides a massive time sink through repetition.  The move to faster xpack releases may help because they spend less money creating content on player sub fees and charge them more money more often for new content.  Anyway it should be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

I think Blizzards thinking is they dont want to make a game that takes players from WoW. Titan had plans of letting you take your char in some way from WoW to Titan. Same with Ghost, it was taking from the same fan base. I think if we see Blizzard ever make a new MMO it will be smarter like SoE has done and make each MMO something to capture a different type of gamer. 

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Since blizzard seems to be diversifying their games.  They have a fantasy MMO, Moba, RTS, and hack and slash games, time for a FPS of some sort....   ...maybe... ?

Destiny esq StarCraft game anyone??  MMOFPS?  All speculation but I can dream, can't I!

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Maybe some type of space game in the future?

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by jbombard

2008 called and it wants it doom and gloom back.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Oh noes!! Blizzard have canceled non-existing project/game. Such shame, awww!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Arawulf
    Too bad we probably won't get to ever see details about what they actually were working on for those 7 years.

I think within a high degree of likelihood it's easy to determine what the game was going to be. 

I have said on several occasions in the past that I felt Titan was one of the following:

• A facebook style casual MMO or
    • An Eve style World of StarCraft.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

WoW's dedicated dev team is larger now than it has ever been in WoW's existance. The main reason on why WoD was delayed according to Blizzard, is because it took longer than expected to get their 100+ new team members up to speed. And they DID move the resources that were working on Titan to WoW, at least most of them (some went to Diablo).

They never said that they want to get out of the MMO business, or that they want to lose their image of an MMO company.....they were never known as an "MMO company" like Trion and SOE are, they said they want to ensure it stays that way.

Your post sounds like a very desperate WoW doom and gloom/stay away from WoD rant.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Too bad we probably won't get to ever see details about what they actually were working on for those 7 years.

I think within a high degree of likelihood it's easy to determine what the game was going to be. 

I have said on several occasions in the past that I felt Titan was one of the following:

If it was one of those two....

I'd have to go with choice #1. And if that is what they were working on, I believe cancelling it was a very smart move.

I don't believe Blizzard would make anything "Eve style" and I'm not dishing Eve in any way.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that right around Titan dies blizzard gives the first decent looking WoW expansion in half a decade. They should've focused on WoW the whole time given how bad almost every other game has been since.

That said it's good they're finally coming around. The future is looking bright for blizzard since they currently own the best MMO, the best online card game and the best overland strategy game. Even Diablo 3 is amazing compared to PoE and Torchlight 2. I don't see Heroes of the storm ever taking out League of legends but the MOBA market is huge and the game could easily sink DoTA 2 if done right.

• V_i_OV_i_O Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Titan well ..... DEAD had some high hopes to be the one to strike the mmorpg genre once and for all .....R.I.P TITAN ....let us see our last hope EQN if that falls too, then my final shot lies still in wildstar as my last well done theme park mmorpg for a very long time...VERY.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by azzamasin

If it was one of those two....

I'd have to go with choice #1. And if that is what they were working on, I believe cancelling it was a very smart move.

I don't believe Blizzard would make anything "Eve style" and I'm not dishing Eve in any way.

I doubt they had a 100+ member team working on a 'Facebook style MMO"...

All leaked info pointed to essentially a "Wildstar clone";  a future/modern day setting WoW, with action combat. I am not sure why people want to desperatly imply that they were working on a sandbox MMO, or that it was something stupid like a browser based game.

• V_i_OV_i_O Member UncommonPosts: 55
    You know what people really need now ? Is a really big BIG holiday of new upcoming MMORPGS so they stand out and start trying all mmorpgs that got published, and feel its existence, the market is just TOO SATURATED.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by sn072856
    So, Titan is dead...long live the next great hyped project....no breaking news here....

Haha, well said!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by doodphace

I doubt they had a 100+ member team working on a 'Facebook style MMO"...

All leaked info pointed to essentially a "Wildstar clone";  a future/modern day setting WoW, with action combat. I am not sure why people want to desperatly imply that they were working on a sandbox MMO, or that it was something stupid like a browser based game.

Would've been better then Wildstar at least. Blizzard would never be dumb enough to create that terrible light show combat system that Wildstar has. Sure WoW dabbled in it but Wildstar went full retard.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Think they probably made the correct decision, Titan would be critizised, compared and ripped apart from all corners, plus to many MMO's on the market, and while they still have WoW dominating the market why would they want to damage the income they are clawing in on that franchise?

No details had been released with Titan but already had all the fanbois hyping the game, which would probably cause more damage than good.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It may not be a total waste.  I'm sure they R&Dd some technologies that they can use for a new project.

I self identify as a monkey.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Loke666

I guess they think that MOs like D3 earns more money for what they cost but I think they made a mistake here just like CCP did when they canceled WoDO.

Wow wont bring in those huge monthly fees forever and not having a game even close to replace it while they still spent 5 years and used a lot of their best people (Kaplan comes to mind) for creating nothing does seems like a weird tactic to me.

A MO is cheaper to develop than a MMO but I am willing to bet my hat (and I love that hat) on that D3 won't be a big game 10 years after release but rather something a few people still play, like the first 2 games were after that time.

A good MMO outlasts any other type of game and while they do cost more to develop they also earn in that money pretty fast during it's long lifetime.

Of course in Titans case the game just could be bad and that be the reason of them canceling it (even talented people can make crap now and then) or Blizzard might have put in as much work on Wow 2 already and choose to put their money on it instead but from what we know the whole thing sounds rather stupid.

WOW is a great game that was developed at the right time.  Its not a repeatable scenario.  Titan would probably just join the modern day 3 monthers MMO graveyard.  It would sell millions but not gain a continued following like WOW.  I feel  they will have far more success fostering WOW and continuing the money train rather than trying to create a new one.