Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tunare Is Dead

Comments

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by evilized
    Originally posted by Datawarlock

oh look, it's this stupid argument again.

incoming 30 pages of how EQN isn't innovative and is terrible because "cartoony" from camp #1; counter pointed by camp #2 explaining, in great detail, exactly what is innovative and good about what SOE is doing just to be ignored by camp #1.

back and forth, around we go, this is the mmorpg.com forum merry-go-round of tears.

lookin good guys, we're right on track. keep it up and we'll be at 20 pages of argumentative stupidity by 9am eastern!

Workin' as fast as I can boss XD

all of this has already been argued to death in this thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/419758/page/1

you'll notice a lot of the same faces in there too. there's no point in arguing here... you're just wasting your time. if that's your goal then have fun but if you're actually wanting to try to convince people that the night really isn't so dark and not really all that terrifying, you'll just drive yourself crazy; best to move on from this place... at least that's the advice Dante got when he made it to this particular circle of hell.

C'mon evil... this guy's more fun than GW2 lol!

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

oh look, it's this stupid argument again.

incoming 30 pages of how EQN isn't innovative and is terrible because "cartoony" from camp #1; counter pointed by camp #2 explaining, in great detail, exactly what is innovative and good about what SOE is doing just to be ignored by camp #1.

back and forth, around we go, this is the mmorpg.com forum merry-go-round of tears.

lookin good guys, we're right on track. keep it up and we'll be at 20 pages of argumentative stupidity by 9am eastern!

Workin' as fast as I can boss XD

all of this has already been argued to death in this thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/419758/page/1

you'll notice a lot of the same faces in there too. there's no point in arguing here... you're just wasting your time. if that's your goal then have fun but if you're actually wanting to try to convince people that the night really isn't so dark and not really all that terrifying, you'll just drive yourself crazy; best to move on from this place... at least that's the advice Dante got when he made it to this particular circle of hell.

C'mon evil... this guy's more fun than GW2 lol!

Have at it. I look forward to reading this thread when I get to work in 8 hours. I'm expecting great things...

• InfantryonlineInfantryonline Member Posts: 113
    Technology is in our favor. We can do more stuff than we could years ago. Were going against the grain. Were going against conventional MMO success. Godspeed and i hope this doesn't get normalized.

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Chrysaor

There appears to be nothing about Everquest Next that would ever give one the experience of playing Everquest.  And for that I am truly saddened.

You didn't know the experience of EQ until you actually played it, and probably didn't appreciate it like you do now until some time after that. However had you for a year, year and a half told yourself how awful EQ was going to be when it came out, how would you have enjoyed it then? Hype runs both ways and can taint the actual experience if one is not careful.

As far as Tunare, her sacrifice held back enough evil that taking that nature essence away caused a Rallying Call. I went to the thread and was not surprised that people were shocked, but that people don't realize who is working on this lore. These are people who have played EQ from the very beginning and created the lore to begin with. Bill Trost ring a bell?

I'm not saying people should just accept it just because of that, post either way on the official forums. Some of the comments made me laugh when it was questioned if the lore creators knew what they were working with or even played EQ. Yes, yes they did... from the beginning.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Aelious

There appears to be nothing about Everquest Next that would ever give one the experience of playing Everquest.  And for that I am truly saddened.

You didn't know the experience of EQ until you actually played it, and probably didn't appreciate it like you do now until some time after that. However had you for a year, year and a half told yourself how awful EQ was going to be when it came out, how would you have enjoyed it then? Hype runs both ways and can taint the actual experience if one is not careful.

As far as Tunare, her sacrifice held back enough evil that taking that nature essence away caused a Rallying Call. I went to the thread and was not surprised that people were shocked, but that people don't realize who is working on this lore. These are people who have played EQ from the very beginning and created the lore to begin with. Bill Trost ring a bell?

I'm not saying people should just accept it just because of that, post either way on the official forums. Some of the comments made me laugh when it was questioned if the lore creators knew what they were working with or even played EQ. Yes, yes they did... from the beginning.

That's all fine and good, but when you take something that people liked for the way it was and you fuck it up just because your name is on the original credits it doesn't equal a win. The Star Wars prequels and re-makes come to mind. In the original movies Darth Vader was a head villain, like a Nazi officer in old movies, but the prequels turned him into Space Jesus (Plinkett) and then he sucked.

EQNext looks like the half-baked dream that your old EQ character might have had about his life if everything went weird and silly. The lore is hard to project onto the crudely drawn world and Disney Princess characters of EQNext. In light of that I have changed my mind. I hope they murder the Lore and charm of the EQ setting, the pain will be less drawn out that way.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Didn't people kill all the gods all the time in EQ1? Pretty sure gods getting killed by scrubs is nothing new.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Much ado about not much.  (Kept short to make 20 pages more difficult)

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Archlyte

That's all fine and good, but when you take something that people liked for the way it was and you fuck it up just because your name is on the original credits it doesn't equal a win. The Star Wars prequels and re-makes come to mind. In the original movies Darth Vader was a head villain, like a Nazi officer in old movies, but the prequels turned him into Space Jesus (Plinkett) and then he sucked.

EQNext looks like the half-baked dream that your old EQ character might have had about his life if everything went weird and silly. The lore is hard to project onto the crudely drawn world and Disney Princess characters of EQNext. In light of that I have changed my mind. I hope they murder the Lore and charm of the EQ setting, the pain will be less drawn out that way.

If you had ever really paid attention to the original Star Wars films you would know Darth Vader was always a puppet. He redeemed himself at the end though, which is very un-Nazi like. Clearly the prequels expanded upon what was already stated in the originals.

https://www.everquestnext.com/round-table/blogs/religion-in-eqnext

"Without giving spoilers, it’s a safe bet to assume that gods and other powerful beings will turn up in some of our rallying calls and epic world storylines."

Gods can't be killed. Gods and their forces will turn up in the rallying calls.

"EQNext is a reimagining of the franchise, so just because you recognize the names doesn’t mean you know the whole story"

They are going more in depth with the characters. I heard Fippy is a thief and you can possibly delve into his "life" due to storybricks and technology.

Hes going to have a higher set of wants. He's going to have a higher set of needs and his storybrick is going to include a higher set of story arcs sort of like Eddard Stark in that storybricks presentation.

...That's essentially what being smug is. Acting like you're so blatantly right that even the thought of someone disagreeing with you is appallingly stupid and comical. you have a good chance of bullying them into believing you.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

If you had ever really paid attention to the original Star Wars films you would know Darth Vader was always a puppet. He redeemed himself at the end though, which is very un-Nazi like. Clearly the prequels expanded upon what was already stated in the originals.

No, if you paid attention to pulp novels and crap you would have known that. The immaculate conception of Anakin and all that other crap were invented later. Lucas wrote the script hastily based on old notes. If we had been aware of all that crap Vader's arc would have been less effective given only the three original movies. You can see that I clearly wasn't paying attention to any of that stuff though. Sure, whatever.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Originally posted by Chrysaor There appears to be nothing about Everquest Next that would ever give one the experience of playing Everquest.  And for that I am truly saddened.
      You didn't know the experience of EQ until you actually played it, and probably didn't appreciate it like you do now until some time after that. However had you for a year, year and a half told yourself how awful EQ was going to be when it came out, how would you have enjoyed it then? Hype runs both ways and can taint the actual experience if one is not careful.   As far as Tunare, her sacrifice held back enough evil that taking that nature essence away caused a Rallying Call. I went to the thread and was not surprised that people were shocked, but that people don't realize who is working on this lore. These are people who have played EQ from the very beginning and created the lore to begin with. Bill Trost ring a bell?   I'm not saying people should just accept it just because of that, post either way on the official forums. Some of the comments made me laugh when it was questioned if the lore creators knew what they were working with or even played EQ. Yes, yes they did... from the beginning.
    That's all fine and good, but when you take something that people liked for the way it was and you fuck it up just because your name is on the original credits it doesn't equal a win. The Star Wars prequels and re-makes come to mind. In the original movies Darth Vader was a head villain, like a Nazi officer in old movies, but the prequels turned him into Space Jesus (Plinkett) and then he sucked. EQNext looks like the half-baked dream that your old EQ character might have had about his life if everything went weird and silly. The lore is hard to project onto the crudely drawn world and Disney Princess characters of EQNext. In light of that I have changed my mind. I hope they murder the Lore and charm of the EQ setting, the pain will be less drawn out that way.

Who gets to decide if it's messed up? Between this forum and the official thread there are 10-30 people who can't agree. This is lore designed for consumption by hundreds of thousands to millions of players. I know we're all special snowflakes with an opinion that is superior to all others but I typically put my faith into those with the most to lose. In this case it's the developers writing the lore. The fact that they've either been playing or initially created the lore for EQ gives them even more merit IMO.

I'll assume you meant "half-baked" as unfinished or not thought out very well. You'll be happy to know there is quite a bit to soak up:

https://www.everquestnext.com/media?category=ebook

SoE Live 2013 Lore, Part 1

SoE Live 2013 Lore, Part 2

They claimed to have structured 10,000 years of lore leading up to the start of EQN, we'll see.

All of the npcs from the lowly farmer or the rich merchant to well known characters like Fippy Darkpaw will be constantly moving interacting with the world waiting (or not waiting) for the right adventurers to progress a story or progress themselves. During the Zam interview the guy mentioned npcs would act on thier own setting and venture off into the next town to possibly assassinate a figure (and would give you a quest to come along) because they compete for resources like "security" "might" and also "justice" to improve their own stature in the world. So like Dave mentioned it would be a giant sumo match between various entities.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

If you listen to some people here who think they have a say on writing the lore it is funny.

And those claiming the guys writing the lore are not knowledgeable enough when they wrote it in the first place!!!!

Seriously, If you had your way George RR Martin wouldn't kill anyone in GOT and the books and show would be a boring pile of crap. I am glad people with some imagination are in control.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Infantryonline
    All of the npcs from the lowly farmer or the rich merchant to well known characters like Fippy Darkpaw will be constantly moving interacting with the world waiting (or not waiting) for the right adventurers to progress a story or progress themselves. During the Zam interview the guy mentioned npcs would act on thier own setting and venture off into the next town to possibly assassinate a figure (and would give you a quest to come along) because they compete for resources like "security" "might" and also "justice" to improve their own stature in the world. So like Dave mentioned it would be a giant sumo match between various entities.

Which is all scripted code..  Is it more complex then what we've been seeing in games?  YES..  But it is still scripted code of 1001110101.. Take your Flippy Darkpaw example.. Lets be honest here.. If the AI is so awesome that "action" matters, once Flippy dies.. He is DEAD..  D    E    A    D..  as a doornail..  lol  But we all know that Flippy will respawn for the 2,034,567,943th time over and over..  I guess my actions don't matter, because I killed Flippy from spreading his evil..   For now, until he respawns again next hour..

Sure NPC's and mobs will have more freedom to roam around, they did back in EQ1 too.. Only as much freedom as the code gave them tho..  As others have pointed out already, we have seen nothing of working gameplay..  Remember that Wendy's commercial..  "Where's the beef?".  

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by itchmon

For those who believed Sony could not stray further off course, they recently made it known that Tunare is dead.  Apparently dying to a roving band of chaos magic monsters in the Kithicor Forest.  Her blood then helped corrupt the forest from which undead spawned.

This of course is entirely an outrage and runs counter to everything we know about Tunare.  Dying to some random mobs and then having her blood corrupt the forest is just so lame.  Add this to what appears to be a game designed for young children playing on their PS4 consoles and you have an incoming disaster of an MMO.

If you feel like making your thoughts known, the link below will take you to the discussion on their official forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/everquestnext/index.php?threads/tunare-is-dead.465/

in eq1 i killed her with my guild a bunch of times, along with the other inhabitants of PoG

This.

My first thought when I read the thread title was, "what? Again?"

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Vesavius

For those who believed Sony could not stray further off course, they recently made it known that Tunare is dead.  Apparently dying to a roving band of chaos magic monsters in the Kithicor Forest.  Her blood then helped corrupt the forest from which undead spawned.

This of course is entirely an outrage and runs counter to everything we know about Tunare.  Dying to some random mobs and then having her blood corrupt the forest is just so lame.  Add this to what appears to be a game designed for young children playing on their PS4 consoles and you have an incoming disaster of an MMO.

If you feel like making your thoughts known, the link below will take you to the discussion on their official forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/everquestnext/index.php?threads/tunare-is-dead.465/

in eq1 i killed her with my guild a bunch of times, along with the other inhabitants of PoG

This.

even druids and rangers of tunare killed her.

heya, druid_00, we're gonna kill your god at 7pm, you gonna be online?

"heck ya"

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Infantryonline

Which is all scripted code..  Is it more complex then what we've been seeing in games?  YES..  But it is still scripted code of 1001110101.. Take your Flippy Darkpaw example.. Lets be honest here.. If the AI is so awesome that "action" matters, once Flippy dies.. He is DEAD..  D    E    A    D..  as a doornail..  lol  But we all know that Flippy will respawn for the 2,034,567,943th time over and over..  I guess my actions don't matter, because I killed Flippy from spreading his evil..   For now, until he respawns again next hour..

Sure NPC's and mobs will have more freedom to roam around, they did back in EQ1 too.. Only as much freedom as the code gave them tho..  As others have pointed out already, we have seen nothing of working gameplay..  Remember that Wendy's commercial..  "Where's the beef?".  

Your logic is really pathetic.

If we take things down to your level then we can argue that Humans are scripted with lots of A, G, C, T mixed up together. We are intelligent, emotional, fragile walking bags of complex molecular components that is all scripted right?

You are just stuck in a mindset that can't handle or accept the possible and simply think if you cannot fathom it then it must be impossible.

Go read a book or watch a video of the latest AI out there and then come back here and state these things again.

Remember, we are all computer generated characters in the holographic universe, so your ability not to understand things isn't your fault, you just have a noob gamer working your controls.

logic is pathetic, or is that more a case of, if you can't counter an argument then you insult someone instead, hardly furthers your own argument does it, how about instead of just trying to be insulting, you actually answer the argument.

Personally i don't have much faith in SOE's ability to deliver the features they are promising, if they prove me wrong then all to the good, but until then, i will remain sceptical,  and it would not surprise me at all if they do fail to deliver on all this so called 'emergent' gameplay, all i see is just more scripting incoming, but lets see if they manage to even handle that better than its done in other games already image

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Phry

logic is pathetic, or is that more a case of, if you can't counter an argument then you insult someone instead, hardly furthers your own argument does it, how about instead of just trying to be insulting, you actually answer the argument.

Personally i don't have much faith in SOE's ability to deliver the features they are promising, if they prove me wrong then all to the good, but until then, i will remain sceptical,  and it would not surprise me at all if they do fail to deliver on all this so called 'emergent' gameplay, all i see is just more scripting incoming, but lets see if they manage to even handle that better than its done in other games already image

I didn't insult the person but the logic being used. If you want you can break down anything into the argument "oh but it is all just a series of 0's and 1's". Hell that argument can be used logically to explain how we work which was my point. It is a pathetic argument to use.

As for answering the argument, been done many times in many threads at many times but always ignored. Not my fault.

Best answers you can get are the lore panels, recent AI conference discussions, Storybricks discussions etc.

[mod edit]

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Vesavius

This.

even druids and rangers of tunare killed her.

heya, druid_00, we're gonna kill your god at 7pm, you gonna be online?

"heck ya"

That was my final straw with EQ1..  When players became so powerful they can go "GOD" farming..  The game was no longer once I wanted to play..  PoP expansion was the beginning of the end for most..

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I guess I'm wondering how many times SOE has to tell you this is a different universe and lore from the previous two games? Sure, there are names and places being reused, but think of this as the Amazing Spiderman to Toby Maguire's whiny, terribad Spidey movies. They've said this I don't know how many times now. So I guess what I would like to know is how many times is it going to take for them or someone else to say it before these threads about EQ1/2 lore being raped stops popping up? I will gladly copy and paste it 3 or 4 hundred times in this thread if it will make these posts stop.
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Didn't people kill all the gods all the time in EQ1? Pretty sure gods getting killed by scrubs is nothing new.

Players killed gods avatars - never gods themselves.

Untrue. To begin with, this was true. Then Planes of Power came out. And we were slaughtering gods.

• RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29

Random mobs were likely better equipped than some guilds that fought in PoG.

Tunare was a chumpette, we killed her a lot back in EQ1.

I could see her blood being used to corrupt the forest of evil even further, such is the fate when one's bodily fluids ends up in the hands of evil.

It's no different then sacrificing a unicorn so your hangman's tree looks twisted and dark.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Phry

I didn't insult the person but the logic being used. If you want you can break down anything into the argument "oh but it is all just a series of 0's and 1's". Hell that argument can be used logically to explain how we work which was my point. It is a pathetic argument to use.

As for answering the argument, been done many times in many threads at many times but always ignored. Not my fault.

Best answers you can get are the lore panels, recent AI conference discussions, Storybricks discussions etc.

The information is out there, but some people are just so lazy they will deny everything or simplify the argument down to ones and zeroes rather then actually take the time and effort to become educated.

Actually, you were quite insulting.  Even if you didn't like him criticizing your favorite game, he was still correct.  There isn't anything magical about the AI.  The characters aren't "alive".  Storybricks simply allows for an easier and more in-depth action-->reaction set of variables.  It's still heavily scripted.  No need to get bent out of shape.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I'm going to play this game with the understanding that it isn't the Everquest that I know.  It is new and different.  The Devs have said consistently that this is a different Everquest with different Lore.  Is it Everquest?  Yes.  Is it in Norrath?  Yes.  Will you see some other elements that you've seen in the other Everquest games?  Yes.

That is where the similarities stop.  The Story is different.  Period.  End of Story.  That means certain things will not please people, like Tunare.  Who cares if she died.  They'll probably have a nice story arc to learn it in game.  You can always RP your character as worshipping a dead god.

Now, imagine if they corrupted her, killed Innoruk, and made her the new god of Hate :P.  Now THAT would be cool :p

(runs for cover)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

With the crap MMO's that have come out for the last 5-10 years, why in the world would anyone care if some random NPC from a previous game isn't in?

I just want an MMO that is engaging, and deep, with lots for me to do. I am sick of the themepark, everyone does the same thing, same quests,  same equipment, same look, same storylines... 

I hope EQN delivers, but I get the impression that it might not. There just aren't any games that are scratching my MMO itch anymore. 

This discussion has been closed.