Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the population now that Archeage has launched?

Comments

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by DMKano

Impossible to tell due to Megaserver.

A Megaserver with 20,000 players online feels the same as a Megaserver with 500,000 players online.

The only way to tell would be to look at ZoS internal player graphs and metrics pages.

Yeah good luck on that.

Pretty much this

+2

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Sassy_Gay_Unicorn
    ESO seems to be getting more and more populated. Purely ancedotal based on my observation of common meeting areas like banks.

Entirely possible - if the population falls fewer "instances" could be created increasing and population density could rise. It all comes down to how the megaserver tech is set up - there are different ways it can be implemented.

Steam - broadly - shows the type of drop that is to be expected in any mmo - hard to tell as even a few hundred extra sales post-launch will skew the graph since the numbers are so small. That - I think - is probably the biggest disappointment for Zenimax; a 3k peak suggests sales can't have been that high.

And as Phry says the campaigns are another window on the world - and based on the numbers Zenimax indicated pre-launch there are not that many people playing them.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by kitarad

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/306130#All

Even if Zenimax and the megaserver do not give us an idea this might.

Yikes!  I knew it was dropping off on Steam but I had no idea to what degree.  I bet those guys at ZOS are giving each other high fives for choosing to go with the mega-server route.  Perception is key so the true fans currently playing perceive the world/game as full.  If ZOS had static servers in place of the mega-server and players started to see how empty the game was getting then they might be inclined to jump ship as well.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Originally posted by unclemo
    Hello all. I am having a blast right now playing Archeage and I noticed that the server I am on has a ton of guilds that have come over from ESao recently. Even though ESO wasn't for me, I still hope it does well. Also did they give any love to nightblades yet?

LOL, well I should think even WoW and Pandaland  is getting sort of new legs since the worst launch seen in many years. Trion has missmanaged this launch and it isn't getting much better. It would be quite possible to see all current mmo's seeing folks returning. AA is very nearly failing.

Watch and see what happens in the next two months with expansions in Rift, EQ 2, WoW. Does not bode well for Trion's Archeage. XL Games didn't do Trion any favors either in this entire mess.

I have been kicked from game four times today and am in my second queue...

Years from now we'll all look back with laughter at this moment in history!

/laughs very very loudly...

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Yikes!  I knew it was dropping off on Steam but I had no idea to what degree.  I bet those guys at ZOS are giving each other high fives for choosing to go with the mega-server route.  Perception is key so the true fans currently playing perceive the world/game as full.  If ZOS had static servers in place of the mega-server and players started to see how empty the game was getting then they might be inclined to jump ship as well.

That chart indicates that its stabilizing at around 1/3 of its launch population, which isn't as bad as you want it to be.

I would also imagine tracking steam users will inflate the population drop as people using steam are more likely to go play other games. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by syriinx

That chart indicates that its stabilizing at around 1/3 of its launch population, which isn't as bad as you want it to be.

I would also imagine tracking steam users will inflate the population drop as people using steam are more likely to go play other games. 

Additionally though it is to be expected that these games lose population when the next thing comes around the corner, there are people who didn't buy it on steam.

I know I didn't.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I don't think that chart indicates the pop is stabilizing yet.  It just shows that from July to August it lost 37% of it's players.  It lost another 37% from August to September putting them at 780 average players.  If they lose another 37% from September to October then it will be at 491 average players which will be below a 33% retention rate.  Then what about from October to November?  What if they lose another 30-something percent?

This isn't me predicting doom and gloom for ESO or wishing it ill will.  This is just using basic math and looking at published statistics.  Any objective person will see the same numbers.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by DMKano

Impossible to tell due to Megaserver.

A Megaserver with 20,000 players online feels the same as a Megaserver with 500,000 players online.

The only way to tell would be to look at ZoS internal player graphs and metrics pages.

Yeah good luck on that.

Yeah, and both would mean... plenty of people to play with.

That's the point.  Regardless of the folks trying to make the game look bad, there are more than enough people to play with.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by bcbully

I've noticed no drop at all, nor heard any talk about it in chat. I thought there would be more buzz in Cyrodiil chat being that AA is a pvp game, but there wasn't. 

From perspective (pvp'r) AA has some interesting systems that I'm sure I would enjoy. The problem I have is that AA's combat and look is much older than ESO's. It's too much for me to give up. 

Free For All PvP with little consequence and an outdated combat system is why ESO fans will not flock to it.  Although I like both games and am continuing to play both at a very casual approach.

AA isn't FFA PvP, especially considering the amount of areas that are safe zones. It is very far from FFA PvP.

Still you are right, ESO is not the for same crowds at all with AA generally speaking.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

The last credible number that we had for ESO was ~750,000 subscribers in June.  A Steam chart with a maximum of 3K users ever isn't capturing more than a small fraction - and the Steam numbers are also sensitive to play time and not subs.

Archeage is a walking train wreck, which is too bad; I don't wish AA to do badly.  But it quite clearly is not impacting ESO - there may be some PvP fans who come back here while they struggle with deep design flaws (related to land, labor points, and other things which give long term consequences for initial launch problems.)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    ESO's launch was amazing compared to AAA. Sure there were bugs but there are bugs in Aa too. I once fell through the world and the only way to get out of there was to drown.
    ESO didn't have any queues. I could log in and play straight away. So in my book ESO launch was waaaaaaaay better.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Most of my friends are still online and playing, so I don't think it's the same market.  ESO is more for those who want conquest style fighting. AA is more for ganking and more of a virtual world experience.  I still like crafting in ESO more, it's just better laid out imho.  ESO does a better job at making the playing field more even than AA.  I know on my server in AA there's were a group of like 30 people that were conquering all the zones at war because they spent a bunch of money to quickly get to 50 and get the best gear you can craft.  ESO does not suffer from this problem at all.  That's the difference between F2P and P2P.  P2P is a much more fair field of play.
  • ValatheusValatheus Member UncommonPosts: 30

I don't think that chart indicates the pop is stabilizing yet.  It just shows that from July to August it lost 37% of it's players.  It lost another 37% from August to September putting them at 780 average players.  If they lose another 37% from September to October then it will be at 491 average players which will be below a 33% retention rate.  Then what about from October to November?  What if they lose another 30-something percent?

This isn't me predicting doom and gloom for ESO or wishing it ill will.  This is just using basic math and looking at published statistics.  Any objective person will see the same numbers.

I wouldn't make any overarching statements about ESO's numbers using steam. The steam numbers can be misleading.

Remember that when the game first released, it was not on steam. It was not added on steam until the QuakeCon panel, which was several months after release - and players who already had a copy are unable to get a steam key unless they buy the game again (sorry ESO, I don't love you enough to buy another full retail copy just to add my steam stats).

Also, it's selling for full price on steam (60 bucks!), while you can find the game on sale in a multitude of other locations - almost all in fact, and for under half the price. So a lot of what those numbers represent, is few new players on steam - they can find the game cheaper through another venue.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

Unaffected due to the insanely long queues, in fact i think it may have become more populated as millions watched this hyped sandbox turn into a line at premier of a movie IE: Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, or perhaps even Hunger Games just saying.

These are sad days my friends and I can hope as i type this mostly drunk and tired after hiking 10 miles that Trion pulls their heads from their behinds and takes care of business like old p2p Rift did.

Thanks,

Datastar

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

my main question is has TESO done anything aobut the bots in the game....i won;t be coming back if they are still an issue

ive long said the main way to solv eit is each res per hlaf day once.....then you need ot run around all over to get stuff...allowing everyone a chance to get resources.

im just not wanting to come back and do what i did in rage was go out farm 6 botters at once.

( funny: a gm asked me if i was a bot ....i said nope im here to out due the bots onmy horse....he said need more like me)

well what they do nerfed my wayof leaving and gettng on horse to combat the bots....

i left....since the triple nerf i got in gu2 i just dont have much heart or hope any of these games will live up to any hype anymore.

• ValatheusValatheus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by chronoss2015

my main question is has TESO done anything aobut the bots in the game....i won;t be coming back if they are still an issue

Bots are gone. Eradicated, in fact.

Originally posted by Valatheus

I wouldn't make any overarching statements about ESO's numbers using steam. The steam numbers can be misleading.

I trust Steam's numbers over Superdata's

Remember that when the game first released, it was not on steam. It was not added on steam until the QuakeCon panel, which was several months after release - and players who already had a copy are unable to get a steam key unless they buy the game again (sorry ESO, I don't love you enough to buy another full retail copy just to add my steam stats).

Also, it's selling for full price on steam (60 bucks!), while you can find the game on sale in a multitude of other locations - almost all in fact, and for under half the price. So a lot of what those numbers represent, is few new players on steam - they can find the game cheaper through another venue.

ESO was on sale for 50% off when it first launched on Steam

I know some people like to think of people who use Steam are a different type of gamer, however I know that a lot of posters on MMORPG.com in general also use Steam.  It's just another means to purchase and play video games.  So yes, I'm aware that there are more than 700 average peak  ESO players per day which is the current statistic on Steam.  However, what I'm talking about is the correlation between the drop off of players who play the game through Steam and those who don't.  If the number of those who bought the game on Steam and  playing are dropping at the rate of 36-38% every 30 days, then it's probably pretty similar for those who bought it through other means.   Obviously the megaserver seems to mask that issue decently. 

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

AA is a much more in depth (professions, land, farms, housing, open water, etc) game than ESO, some people like that some don't.  The quest system in AA is there to introduce you to the mechanics of the game not to be the game, so in regards to storyline ESO's is much deeper. 

Both games are quality.  The way I see it, people more into questing, storyline, ESO lore, solo play will prefer ESO, while people that are more into guild community, open world PvP, faster paced combat, housing, RPing, and open sea combat will prefer AA.

P.S. - AA has more of a UA type feel in that consequences are very real.  For example when questing, if you die you lose XP.  If you are running a trade run and you get ganked, the gankers can take your trade packs.  You have a boat, pirates attack it and destroy it, it's very expensive to repair.  I personally like that, I am sure some people would hate it. 

Its a Asian mmorpg, any aAsian game has more depth and content then ESO or any other westen mmorpg game. 

Also fare more grind and questing the ESO, but the difference is that its worth it, comperet to ESO grinding and questing.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Hello all. I am having a blast right now playing Archeage and I noticed that the server I am on has a ton of guilds that have come over from ESao recently. Even though ESO wasn't for me, I still hope it does well. Also did they give any love to nightblades yet?

And why should AA have any effect on ESO?

New games (Hyped games) almost always have an effect.  People often play games, then wait for the next one to jump to.  It's a pretty common occurrence. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by alyndale

LOL, well I should think even WoW and Pandaland  is getting sort of new legs since the worst launch seen in many years. Trion has missmanaged this launch and it isn't getting much better. It would be quite possible to see all current mmo's seeing folks returning. AA is very nearly failing.

Watch and see what happens in the next two months with expansions in Rift, EQ 2, WoW. Does not bode well for Trion's Archeage. XL Games didn't do Trion any favors either in this entire mess.

Alyn

Were you here for the ESO launch? Now that is the worst launch I have ever seen. I think having too many players would be up there as a great thing...

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by TankYou88

Alyn

Were you here for the ESO launch? Now that is the worst launch I have ever seen. I think having too many players would be up there as a great thing...

I played ESO during launch.  I don't agree with you at all.  How was ESO the worst launch you have ever seen?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by grimal

Alyn

I played ESO during launch.  I don't agree with you at all.  How was ESO the worst launch you have ever seen?

Ya, I agree with you. ESO was far from perfect, but it was about the same as other recent releases. Actually the only decent one I recall in a long time of course was Rift. /irony

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Valatheus
    Originally posted by chronoss2015

Bots are gone. Eradicated, in fact.

really then ill prolly comeback queueage is too much and its to hard ot get anywhere.....with that labour system and i swear two reboots ago they either nerfed an ability a mine or made stuff real tough ...stuff i walked over is killing me and each death costs me 35 minutes worth of labour ....i don't think thats a cool feature.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by grimal

Alyn

He's one of the people who trolled the boards at launch, not one of the people who played the release game. 

Steam stats can be solid for games released exclusively, or primarily, on Steam.  They're not going to be as helpful for games primarily released elsewhere months earlier.  So, based on what I see in Steam stats, it looks as if their Steam retention is close to the MMO norm (e.g. the "clock" on Steam should start when the game was available there, not when the game was released.)

• AstrylAstryl Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I quit after the last patch.  Nothing to do with the patch really, i just have a boat a house and the game is boring.  I can only do so many trade missions and the in game missions are pointless after a certain point.  The pvp is lackluster and there is not much motivation for it.  You get some loyalty points but blah...i want to kill a guy and take all his stuff so he cries and rage quits...but that may just be me.