Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Do You Remember TAERA?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Do you remember Taera, whose real life name was Laura Genender? The ferocious gamer. The community manager for MMORPG for four years. The author of articles for The Escapist and Gamersinfo.net. The associate community manager for CCP's EVE Onlne from July, 2008 until her sudden death in August, 2008.  You might remember her sense of humor. Her late-night ramblings about space pizza. The songs she made up and sang, such as Flying My Spaceship. The jokes she cracked and the lengths she went to in order to make people laugh.

Read more of Carla Genender Linn's Do You Remember TAERA?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

FTrunks21

Comments

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    <3
  • SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    That's very sad to hear.  Sorry for your loss.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I honestly don't mean anything by this other than the obvious; no intended subtext, so don't go looking for any.

I once received a warning from Laura for providing a link to a paper that I'd co-written, which she considered to be advertising. We had a chat about it and she upheld the warning, but emailed me a beta key for a game that was in development at the time.

I wonder if Laura would have given the author of this a warning for the same thing.......I believe that she would, but it would be done with a smile.

FTrunks21
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Although I only worked with her for a brief time, she was absolutely wonderful to talk to. Always smiling, very positive. I've kept a poem of hers in my desk drawer for over six years now as a reminder that a beautiful smile is sometimes a mask for a saddened heart. 

"The Light"

In the darkness
    The bleak black night
    Stands a haven
    A tiny light

A tiny light to spark a fire
    A tiny light to brighten the path
    A tiny light, the heart's desire
    In the big black sea of wrath

A piece of heaven in the hell
    Where all sane souls may freely dwell
    In the darkness
    The bleak black night
    Stands -my- haven
    -My- tiny light

- Laura Genender

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I remember her. I'm sure she gave me a few timeouts back then and I probably deserved them. 

It angers me that her death was over person, not at her. For years I thought I had read it was an allergic reaction to something. I want to disagree with you Ms. Linn, it does matter if she intended to or not. Her story could be used to help young women or men in similar situations that given time they realize they don't need that other person in their life. 

I have no doubt that today Taera would be a regular on TWITCH and introducing us to games she likes. I do plan to pick up your book Ms. Linn on ebook. Thanks for taking the time to remind us of Taera. 

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Who could forget Laura?

She was a ruthless tyrant on these forums when it came to moderating! To say she reigned with an iron fist doesn't even begin to describe her. However, she was a damn good person overall and it's a shame she left this life so early.

RIP.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Respect...I'm a single father and I do not know what I'd do if I lost my son like this and I'm not sure how you have managed for so long and wish you all the best with your journey. I lost my partner 16 years ago and have brought my son up and I'm sure had it not been for gaming I'd of gone mad. I do understand the loss you feel but what you are doing now would of made her happy.

Good Luck Carla.

Asbo

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97

Im so sorry for your loss, there could be no greater pain then losing a child, having two myself. May you find comfort that she is in a better place and that she had a great impact in so many ways and lives.

God Bless

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I remember her as well.  

She was the one who helped select my blog here on MMORPG.com to get promoted to be one of the featured blogs on this site.  It was that boost that led to me writing more about games here on the site and helped me gain traction in the online gaming community, and led to me being able to do developer interviews and write reviews.

As I transitioned from writing my blog here into focusing more on my livestreaming on Twitch TV, I had to fight to gain my partnership over there.   After being initially denied, I was able to argue my case because of the success of my blog here that eventually led to my partnership being granted.

I don't forget where it started for me and it was in large part because Laura gave me a chance and helped push me into that first step.   I'm sorry for your loss and I wish you all the best.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    I'll have to read this later.  Can't get past the first paragraph.  I don't know of her but it is really tragic.  Life is fleeting.  She sounds like a wonderful person and I wish our paths had crossed.  God Bless, and hope her Mom takes some comfort in knowing all the lives her daughter had touched; and what a difference she made.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My condolences @-`-,--------------
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Lokt, thanks for documenting her poem.  It's sweet.   She looks like a pretty girl and could have found another man easily.  Sad she got caught up on one.  Suicide is a lot more common (1 out of 115) than one would think.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I didn't know her. Although I was signed up to the website I never really used it until the last couple of years and except Suzie I couldn't even tell you who else works on this website right now.

I was reading along and for some reason I assumed it would have been a car crash. I was shocked to read the reason. As someone else mentioned she looked pretty and from what everyone seems to be saying, she was awesome in personality.

I am sorry for your loss, truly.

• LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I,too, am sorry for your loss, and though I didn't know her, I will help remember her.
  • RackirRackir Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Thank you for sharing Carla. My profound condolences for your loss.
  • Tara_WindwalkerTara_Windwalker Member UncommonPosts: 75

I know the pain of Laura's (Taera) loss is strong, but somehow you found the strength to write this article for us.   Thank you so very much.    

“If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers...”  ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery "The Little Prince"

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Aye, I've been here long enough to remember seeing her around... Didn't pay enough attention to realize what had happened to her, where she had gone off to, or even how long it has been. Either way, the opposite sex can certainly have a strong pull on our hearts and minds. Prayers.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    (RIP] enjoy the afterlife

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ChipOreoChipOreo Member UncommonPosts: 22
    This is the first time I've heard of her and I'm sorry for the loss, bur how did she pass away? She was less then a yr older than me.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    While I never had the pleasure of meeting Laura face to face - I e-worked with her here at MMORPG.com for years and she was such a pleasure to interact with.   I still think about her loss to this great community all the time, in fact just discussing this with my wife a couple weeks ago.  She was a pure soul and terrific person.  I am thankful that our paths crossed and I deeply wish she was still here with us all.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Yes, most assuredly I remember her.   She was a guiding light and pioneer for many females that were looking to get into the gaming industry.   She would have probably gone a lot further with her new job at CCP.   It is sad that her life was cut short, and yes, she has been missed.   Thanks for taking the time to remind us of her life, and accomplishments, and congratulations on the new book.    May the memory of the joy she brought to the gaming masses bring solace to your heart.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Rest In Peace.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Darwa

I honestly don't mean anything by this other than the obvious; no intended subtext, so don't go looking for any.

I once received a warning from Laura for providing a link to a paper that I'd co-written, which she considered to be advertising. We had a chat about it and she upheld the warning, but emailed me a beta key for a game that was in development at the time.

I wonder if Laura would have given the author of this a warning for the same thing.......I believe that she would, but it would be done with a smile.

Not only would she give her mother a warning, I bet she would have given herself a warning, she was hard, but she was fair!

My only incursion on this site, ( that I know of ), during my 11 years I have been here she gave me, I did deserve it though.

( Lost my temper in the Vanguard forums )

She did keep the place tidy and well behaved, as much as one person can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I do remember her, managed to convince her to overturn a couple of my moderations and unlock a few threads I felt had been closed down incorrectly.  In fact, I just checked and her messages are in my inbox still, never did clear them out.

Never knew the story behind her passing, and as a father of two older daughters I can't imagine the pain this must have caused.

Thank you for sharing a bit more about her and her life, I'll have to check out the e-books over at Amazon.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes i remember her and i even mentioned about a year ago that this site should once a year pay homage to those that once put their life,heart and soul into working here.

No question that is a very sad loss,i felt a tremble in my heart just reading this and remembering her passing.That is the sad thing about life you can't press a reset button like you do in a video game.

Her mother will never forget her and it is good to see her reach out and convey how she felt and feels now because her daughter was her life.I know we like to remember the life but it always seems hard to forget the passing,at least for me it is,really sad to see anyone lose their family members.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.