Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roundabout link redirects

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 23,119

On the hardware forum, some posters including me will sometimes post links to hardware basically saying, this is what you should buy.  For a long time now, those links have not been directly what the poster entered, but instead go to another site that subsequently forwards the user to the intended link.

Is this something that you do intentionally to get some kickbacks for having a site forward people to buy stuff elsewhere?  If so, then I have no problem with it; I get that you need revenue, and this is less obtrusive than a lot of other forms of advertising.  But if you're not making money off of the redirects, then something is amiss.

Comments

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Hi Quizzical,

Yes, there is a network that we use that somehow generates a small amount of revenue on certain links people might enter.  To be honest I am not sure how it works on their end but we allowed it because it still directs them to the intended URL in the end.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the network and I know the revenue we earn is incredibly small (like less than $100/mo).

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.