Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for a potential backer

VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I've been looking at SC for ages and never got around to investing in it. However I'm now keen to get started and mess around with Arena Commander.

However, I am really puzzled as to what is the best way to get started. I am prepared to get more than just the basic entry level package, and was looking at the Constellation Andromeda package, but that seems to only come with 1 ship. I guess I can add more ships if I want them later?

A bit puzzled, like I said, so would appreciate a steer from someone who knows better.

Comments

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Do not.  A company that does not need to answer to investors, shareholders or funders is a company that has no direction whatsoever.  This is proven by Star and their release of ship after ship to profiteer off their fans.  It is proven by the fact that they expand and expand their budget and their programme without recourse.    

Do not give them more money, it will be spent on abortive work before they flip flop in another direction.  

• You should definitely not buy any ships. They are part of the game, so you should not throw money away on that nonsense. The standard preorder is a good way to support the developers without being a sucker. If the game is worth playing when it releases, you'll earn lots of credits just from playing it.

Even if it turns out to be one of the best games ever, none of the current ships will be worth their price in real money anyway.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Best bet is to buy the cheapest ship that includes beta access + an arena commander pass. Any more than that is asking for disappointment.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Best bet is to buy the cheapest ship that includes beta access + an arena commander pass. Any more than that is asking for disappointment.

Even the arena commander pass is not worth it as it is just a P2W system.  Racing is pointless unless you purchase a $100+ racing ship, and combat comes down to Hornets (another $100+ ship) owning everything.  

• TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by PioneerStew

Do not.  A company that does not need to answer to investors, shareholders or funders is a company that has no direction whatsoever.  This is proven by Star and their release of ship after ship to profiteer off their fans.  It is proven by the fact that they expand and expand their budget and their programme without recourse.    

Do not give them more money, it will be spent on abortive work before they flip flop in another direction.  

Ignore this guy, another one of those typical "lol kickstarter is fraud" we already have some great quality content available to play... granted far from finished, and the game is not going to be fully compelte until 2016 .... just to warn you. but you will have access to every playable phase between now and then for testing.

Originally posted by Axxar

You should definitely not buy any ships. They are part of the game, so you should not throw money away on that nonsense. The standard preorder is a good way to support the developers without being a sucker. If the game is worth playing when it releases, you'll earn lots of credits just from playing it.

Even if it turns out to be one of the best games ever, none of the current ships will be worth their price in real money anyway.

Kinda agree and disagree... you need 1 ship at least to try the game yourself, I would avoid the CHEAPEST pledge package (Gives you a cargo aurora ship ... useless/slow/boring) ... get the one up 300i .... jack of all, master of nothing.... and its stylish. you wont be the best racer, or the best fighter.... but all in all... its about testing the game at this stage. not winning all the battles and growing an e-penis.

Agreed, except for the cheapest ship thing... AVOID THE AURORA.

Originally posted by TheYear1500

Even the arena commander pass is not worth it as it is just a P2W system.  Racing is pointless unless you purchase a $100+ racing ship, and combat comes down to Hornets (another $100+ ship) owning everything.  

This is my point 2 quotes up. people like this just want to play and win as if its a CoD game at the moment. people who pay lots do have better ships currently.... because they gave alot of money to make the game possible... Yes its unfair now.

But they have already stated when Arena Commander is further complete, we will be able to earn "ingame credits" just for testing/playing matches and will be able to rent better ships.... its not perfect... but then its not meant to be.

If you are interested in pledging remember the following:

1) Its incredibly early alpha, while it looks beautiful, everything from graphics/gameplay is subject to change.

2) all that is available at the moment, is walking around your hanger (which... unless you pledge alot will be empty and poor looking). Racing and basic waves/team deathmatch/deathmatch modes... without much variety.

3) First-Person Shooter Module is coming in November.

Most negative nessy's like some in the post already and in this forum... fail to realise how early alpha this game is... this is a PROPER alpha, not a demo. the whole pay2win is just a pledge phase...

If you like what you see, read up more, watch all the official youtube videos, if you feel this is a project you want to back, then go for it.

It's true that kickstarted companies have no one to answer too... but the entire industry's eyes are on the CEO of this game.... its the flagship kickstarter title... alot of pressure..... I think the man's reputation alone will make him see it through as its his dream project, and he has a proven track record.

It'ts up to you. just avoid the friggin Aurora if you decide to... that ship... is ..... ugh.

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    This game is vaporware. Do not invest.
  • ZanerkenZanerken Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Arazale
    This game is vaporware. Do not invest.

This is not very likely vaporware happens due to lack of funding, corpation wants to swhich to a similar product (ex. microsoft swhiching to windows NT) or legal problems with copyrighted franchise. Sense none of these are a problem for this company  talk of vaporware is just people being mad because they dont rush the game which is what large companies often do and end up with alot of games that have bugs rather than waiting to fix them.

See you space cowboys

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403

OP if you buy a ship just do so because you want to help the game along, it's like those founder packs and the like, you just get them to help the game out money wise.

AC is working and they recently added racing so disregard claims of vaporware.

Also keep in mind LTI which is a lifetime insurance for ships is going to make a comeback BUT ONLY for CONCEPT ships.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14159-Future-Concept-Sale-Plans

SO you might want to wait before buying a package or ship. First sale of those is Friday sept 26 2014.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'd agree with what the guy above me said at the end of September, however there is another space game out there in Beta check out this link http://www.elitedangerous.com/about/ this guy also has credibility and whilst this game is in a playable state it's quite hard to master unless you have nimble fingers of joy pad / joy stick. 

As for SC I have invested a few quid and don't regret it but I have known Chris Roberts a long time as he lived up the road from me and his brother still does so if he turns me over I'll go see his bro and give him a ribbing ;) The guys are working very hard to produce a great game Squadron 42 part is being developed 10 minutes from me so I get to pop in regular and chat with the guys.

They have reputations on the line here and they want to be remembered for kicking ass not ripping ass!

Asbo

Originally posted by TestSubject102

Ignore this guy, another one of those typical "lol kickstarter is fraud" we already have some great quality content available to play... granted far from finished, and the game is not going to be fully compelte until 2016 .... just to warn you. but you will have access to every playable phase between now and then for testing.

You should definitely not buy any ships. They are part of the game, so you should not throw money away on that nonsense. The standard preorder is a good way to support the developers without being a sucker. If the game is worth playing when it releases, you'll earn lots of credits just from playing it.

Kinda agree and disagree... you need 1 ship at least to try the game yourself, I would avoid the CHEAPEST pledge package (Gives you a cargo aurora ship ... useless/slow/boring) ... get the one up 300i .... jack of all, master of nothing.... and its stylish. you wont be the best racer, or the best fighter.... but all in all... its about testing the game at this stage. not winning all the battles and growing an e-penis.

This is my point 2 quotes up. people like this just want to play and win as if its a CoD game at the moment. people who pay lots do have better ships currently.... because they gave alot of money to make the game possible... Yes its unfair now.

But they have already stated when Arena Commander is further complete, we will be able to earn "ingame credits" just for testing/playing matches and will be able to rent better ships.... its not perfect... but then its not meant to be.

1) Its incredibly early alpha, while it looks beautiful, everything from graphics/gameplay is subject to change.

2) all that is available at the moment, is walking around your hanger (which... unless you pledge alot will be empty and poor looking). Racing and basic waves/team deathmatch/deathmatch modes... without much variety.

Most negative nessy's like some in the post already and in this forum... fail to realise how early alpha this game is... this is a PROPER alpha, not a demo. the whole pay2win is just a pledge phase...

If you like what you see, read up more, watch all the official youtube videos, if you feel this is a project you want to back, then go for it.

It's true that kickstarted companies have no one to answer too... but the entire industry's eyes are on the CEO of this game.... its the flagship kickstarter title... alot of pressure..... I think the man's reputation alone will make him see it through as its his dream project, and he has a proven track record.

It'ts up to you. just avoid the friggin Aurora if you decide to... that ship... is ..... ugh.

Serious.  You think that having concerns about KS is wrong?  You think the fact they take 5% of funded games but absolve themselves of any legal recourse whilst doing the most minimal due diligence is ok?  

Really mate, you need to go learn your shit before telling others to ignore sound advice.  

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

spend money on Arena Comnder Starter pack, 45$ ,as good preorder with risk,and wait for what ever  they make at end.There ll' be cash shop and it is most important part of game,you ll not missed anything.

SC should to be awesome ,fun ,space sim , but as project SC is first cash grab ,than game project.They got money for 10+ SC's games.

If you have  and can offer to spend on  single game 1000+$ , it is your money and your bad if make mistake.

Just don't listen haters or fan boys ,do what you think is best for you

Serious.  You think that having concerns about KS is wrong?  You think the fact they take 5% of funded games but absolve themselves of any legal recourse whilst doing the most minimal due diligence is ok?  

Really mate, you need to go learn your shit before telling others to ignore sound advice.  

I am well aware of the issues you tool. and I have seen many kick starters fail. but the problems of those ones are clearly not applying to THIS SPECIFIC GAME. You clearly know nothing about it, and decided to shout "LOL ALL KICKSTARERS FAIL" ... enough with this pathetic crusade, anyone with half a brain knows the inherent risk of kickstarters, that does not mean all kickstarters are bad.

Why dont you go throw down $60 on s*it like Destiny like all of you do without complaint.....

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

spend money on Arena Comnder Starter pack, 45$ ,as good preorder with risk,and wait for what ever  they make at end.There ll' be cash shop and it is most important part of game,you ll not missed anything.

SC should to be awesome ,fun ,space sim , but as project SC is first cash grab ,than game project.They got money for 10+ SC's games.

If you have  and can offer to spend on  single game 1000+$ , it is your money and your bad if make mistake.

really mate? "10 star citizen games" just because their initial requirement was $2 million? ( and that was to get $25 million angel investment after" ... it took the $27 million stretch goal to get to the point where "The game did not need any angel/publisher investment and is now fully self funded" ... so how do you work that out? Also, the project has grown in scope thanks to the funding as well. so again, hardly true.

Also, to the TC (or anyone else interested) This is only pay2win in terms of alpha/beta testing, on release the "cash shop" will no longer have ships/currency/weapons to purchase, just merchendise ect.) The people who buy ships now DO get to keep them for the real game.... however as they've already stated these ships won't take months of grinding to get.... the advantage is pretty minimal at best.

I may sound like a fanboy. but in truth I'm not, I'm a low-end backer that keeps up to date with every piece of information about the game.... as best I can. unlike most of the numpty's in this post that give off half-truths or terrible information.

Probably the same people that pay MMO early access ect withotu a second thought but then complain about kickstarters!

I am well aware of the issues you tool. and I have seen many kick starters fail. but the problems of those ones are clearly not applying to THIS SPECIFIC GAME. You clearly know nothing about it, and decided to shout "LOL ALL KICKSTARERS FAIL" ... enough with this pathetic crusade, anyone with half a brain knows the inherent risk of kickstarters, that does not mean all kickstarters are bad.

Why dont you go throw down $60 on s*it like Destiny like all of you do without complaint.....

haha, I just got called a tool.  Do I get points for that?  

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I've been looking at SC for ages and never got around to investing in it. However I'm now keen to get started and mess around with Arena Commander.

However, I am really puzzled as to what is the best way to get started. I am prepared to get more than just the basic entry level package, and was looking at the Constellation Andromeda package, but that seems to only come with 1 ship. I guess I can add more ships if I want them later?

A bit puzzled, like I said, so would appreciate a steer from someone who knows better.

This game is going nowhere, all they do is put out ships for people to keep paying money, miss deadlines...it's poop.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

really mate? "10 star citizen games" just because their initial requirement was $2 million? ( and that was to get $25 million angel investment after" ... it took the $27 million stretch goal to get to the point where "The game did not need any angel/publisher investment and is now fully self funded" ... so how do you work that out? Also, the project has grown in scope thanks to the funding as well. so again, hardly true.

Also, to the TC (or anyone else interested) This is only pay2win in terms of alpha/beta testing, on release the "cash shop" will no longer have ships/currency/weapons to purchase, just merchendise ect.) The people who buy ships now DO get to keep them for the real game.... however as they've already stated these ships won't take months of grinding to get.... the advantage is pretty minimal at best.

I may sound like a fanboy. but in truth I'm not, I'm a low-end backer that keeps up to date with every piece of information about the game.... as best I can. unlike most of the numpty's in this post that give off half-truths or terrible information.

Probably the same people that pay MMO early access ect withotu a second thought but then complain about kickstarters!

• While I think it's dumb to buy ships, if this game turns out to be vaporvare, I wouldn't think it to be due to malicious intent on the part of the developers. I believe Chris is quite serious about making this game, and clearly there is development going on.

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166

If you have the spare cash, try and decide on what you would like to do in-game, then purchase a ship with that in mind. I wouldn't hop right in a Conniie unless you plan on using it for a specific purpose. I bought the Connie because the Retaliator was not available but plan on trading it in when a larger warship does become available. I bought a 325a for a combat craft with a bed and the Hornet for a strictly combat ship. If money is an issue or you don't want to throw a lot at it do what someone has stated buy the $45 starter pack. 

I am having a blast so far with Arena Commander, but as other have said it is in early alpha, but fun nonetheless. Don't let all the negativity and naysayers steer you from this title. Chris Roberts has produced nothing but quality games and good movies, those talents combined will make for an entertaining game. The game will succeed, the timeline may not be on point but I strongly believe we will have a really great space game in the end.

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Buy the most expensive ship you can afford with LTI in the next concept sale. I guess you should prepare at least 200-300 for a decent ship.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

do yourself a favor and register on the Star Citizen site to ask genuine people your questions. about SC.

The lurkers here only run their agenda to badmouth crowdfunding or plug other cheap clone titles when someone makes a post about SC.

Organized troll mafia, 'nuff said.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yes you can buy as many ships as you want. all ships will also be obtainable in game (when ever it actually launches) without having to pay real $$, or at least that's what C. Roberts said. hopefully this remains true. 

Currently you can start with the smallest package and then add ships to your hearts content, or you can buy multiple ships packages. there are people that have been buying every new ship that comes out, and have entire fleets sitting in their hangar. of course it will cost you more if you buy individual ships as opposed to buying the packages. 

i myself only bought the Avenger pack because for the regular price of an average game, i got 6 months of insurance and a 1 man ship i thought would be plenty of fun to start with (love the look of the Avenger, and especially the huge cockpit view). if the game is good i will have lots of fun working towards bigger and better ships. if the game sucks i haven't spent a ridiculous amount of money on pretty ships in a fancy hangar.

in the end it's completely up to you how much money you are willing to sink in this game which may or may not be good. do keep in mind that the Persistent Universe probably won't launch for at least a year or more, and currently, all you get is a "prototype demo" that probably won't even let you play the ship you bought.  

• I would suggest instead buying 5 good actual games with that money instead of buying a single item in an Alpha version of one game.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    Originally posted by SirBalin

This game is going nowhere, all they do is put out ships for people to keep paying money, miss deadlines...it's poop.

Strange because from the short time I have been following this game they actually have advanced and added things from tweaks to mechanics in AC and now more recently racing.......

Guess it is not like programming a card game on your tsr80.

I do admit all the ships being added is somewhat annoying but hey it gets them money and means we should have a nice selection of ships we will be able to work at getting in game once it is live.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

You are wrong, the cash shop will in fact sell currency, and weapons/gear.  The only question is if it will have ships, CIG have said that the only reason they don't have it planed is because the backers have told them not too.  So CIG selling ships past launch could happen.

No the game will always be P2W, its just about how much and how bad.