Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Destiny: 5 Reasons Not to Play Destiny

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week I wrote a list with 5 reasons to play Destiny. I stand by that list and if any of those reasons really leap out to you, then you should definitely give the game a shot. However, no game is perfect and Destiny is definitely not for everyone.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 Reasons Not to Play Destiny.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I can agree with these, but I quit because of totally different reasons.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    #6 - If you expected Halo only better, this is not the game for you, especially when it comes to multiplayer pvp. Coincidentally next month folks like me who expected Halo only better can get an enhanced version of Halo 1 through 4 exclusively on xbox1 come this November and have access to over 100 multiplayer maps on the fabulous Xbox live servers.
  • svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I don't disagree with these, but honestly the biggest thing to me was this:

Playstation Plus required for strikes, raids, and PVP.

I'm not in any was opposed to sub fees, but the whole reason I purchased PS4 over Xbox One was because historically I have not needed a PS+ account to enjoy online content. Maybe that has changed with PS4, I'm honestly not too in the loop (I got mine on the cheap so wasn't overly concerned with researching) and I don't usually do multiplayer on console anyway.

The whole PS+ thing really rubbed me the wrong way. It could be because in every other zone I could see other players and group up with friends for almost anything, but as soon as I wanted to do content DESIGNED for groups I hit a pay wall. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. I probably could have swallowed it better if they just put the whole game behind that pay wall, but its almost like I got teased.

I guess thats one of the biggest reasons I prefer PC gaming. I happily subbed to ArcheAge and am conidering a sub to TOR pending the expac announcement, so I'm not against subs, but the way Destiny was locked behind PS+ was just shady. Granted I think thats from Sony's end, but still.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I'm not in any was opposed to sub fees, but the whole reason I purchased PS4 over Xbox One was because historically I have not needed a PS+ account to enjoy online content. Maybe that has changed with PS4, I'm honestly not too in the loop (I got mine on the cheap so wasn't overly concerned with researching) and I don't usually do multiplayer on console anyway.

The whole PS+ thing really rubbed me the wrong way. It could be because in every other zone I could see other players and group up with friends for almost anything, but as soon as I wanted to do content DESIGNED for groups I hit a pay wall. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. I probably could have swallowed it better if they just put the whole game behind that pay wall, but its almost like I got teased.

I guess thats one of the biggest reasons I prefer PC gaming. I happily subbed to ArcheAge and am conidering a sub to TOR pending the expac announcement, so I'm not against subs, but the way Destiny was locked behind PS+ was just shady. Granted I think thats from Sony's end, but still.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    PS+ sub was marketed as necessary to bring the servers up to par, so far it has not delivered and despite what the media says about Microsoft, their service is blow away compared to any other gaming service, their servers are more stable, the games are more responsive and there is far less connectivity issues commonly found in pc gaming and on psn. I played Destiny on my ps4, the first two boss battles were very anti climatic for me because the psn servers couldn't take it. This hasn't been an isolated incident either, I played ps3 every weekend for the past 2 years and played xblive prior to that, ps marketed the sub fee as needed to improve service and so far it's failed. I can see it in cod, bf4, and I saw it in destiny (pve). I completely understand your frustration behind the pay wall even though it's small and I have other reasons.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by svandy

I think it's probably a little of Column A and a little of Column B. Since Sony wants to, essentially treat Destiny like a first party title, they are going to try to do their damnedest to make sure every person playing has PS+. However, it is fair to note that Sony did say games would require PS+ to play online, so it really shouldn't be a surprise. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Meh.  I don't play console games... but just listening to my co-worker blab about it all day is enough for me.  He calls it a single-player game, but you get to play with other people.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Shooters and mmos are the 2 types of games where a pc is about 1 zillion times better than a console (moba are an honorable mention) -the list has it dead on!

Snap targting makes baby jesus cry.

And yeah the story is almost comically bad.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Odd title really since the game has no sub. The actual question is: should you buy it or not; not should you play it or not once you have bought the game. However:

5. The first reason is very odd - especially given that its a megaserver.

• Based on 5 day sales, assuming an equal split across the 4 consoles, that's c.1.5M per console.
    • So better quit TESO, WS, SWTOR ..... in fact
    • If WoW loses another 800k this quarter - and Activision said last quarter's pre-xpac lost was expected - then WoW could be down to c. 6M. Split across 3 continents - an equal split would be 2M , factor in that this is split across multiple servers - whoah: better quit WoW.
    Of all the reasons not to play Destiny I think this is not one of them.

4. Loot drops: tricky this but it could be a reason.

3. Repetitive content. Yep. Two points though. One is it fun whilst you are playing it - and at least initially most folks agree it is. Eventually it becomes mah - but that is true in all games. So - see 1. Second - as noted in the article - can Bungie carry on releasing fun content. Well they can't do any worse than Blizzard this last year. Key difference though: it doesn't have a sub.

2. Story - awful - but is it? We will get to find out. Is it presented badly enough though to stop you buying it.

1. No PC release. Not really a reason not to play. Those who don't have access to a console can't buy it. Those who have access to consoles and PCs have a choice. 

As I said at the start you don't "quit" a b2p game: you buy it or you don't. And when they release DLC same choice.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Odd title really since the game has no sub. The actual question is: should you buy it or not; not should you play it or not once you have bought the game. However:

5. The first reason is very odd - especially given that its a megaserver.

• Based on 5 day sales, assuming an equal split across the 4 consoles, that's c.1.5M per console.
    • So better quit TESO, WS, SWTOR ..... in fact
    • If WoW loses another 800k this quarter - and Activision said last quarter's pre-xpac lost was expected - then WoW could be down to c. 6M. Split across 3 continents - an equal split would be 2M , factor in that this is split across multiple servers - whoah: better quit WoW.
    Of all the reasons not to play Destiny I think this is not one of them.

4. Loot drops: tricky this but it could be a reason.

3. Repetitive content. Yep. Two points though. One is it fun whilst you are playing it - and at least initially most folks agree it is. Eventually it becomes mah - but that is true in all games. So - see 1. Second - as noted in the article - can Bungie carry on releasing fun content. Well they can't do any worse than Blizzard this last year. Key difference though: it doesn't have a sub.

2. Story - awful - but is it? We will get to find out. Is it presented badly enough though to stop you buying it.

1. No PC release. Not really a reason not to play. Those who don't have access to a console can't buy it. Those who have access to consoles and PCs have a choice. 

As I said at the start you don't "quit" a b2p game: you buy it or you don't. And when they release DLC same choice.

Wow, your numbers are way off. Products bought and shipped to stores does not equal players.

Smile

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

5) Agree, I think there needs to be an ingame clan system that you can type to or voice chat to communicate with.

4) It's pretty sad that a cave that you sit and shoot at is more rewarding than strikes.

3) What more do you expect to do with guns, and isn't almost every game repetitive?

2) First chapter of the story was pretty bland, hope that they do better with it in the next content updates.

1) Buy a console if you really want to play it.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Sony has actually said developers can choose to opt out of requiring PS+ to play online. Obviously I imagine this comes with a lack of certain server support from Sony.

DCUO, FFXIV, and Warframe, for instance, do not require PS+.

Netflix also never required PS+...

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

"The problem is that, millions of gamers around the world use a PC as their primary platform for gaming. In fact, its where shooters and MMOs thrive the most"

That was true up until 2007. Is it amature hour at MMORPG.com? Pretty much every single multiplatform shooter released in the last 5-6 years, sold VASTLY more copies on consoles than on PC. This isnt an opinion at this point...its absolutly provable and documented fact lol.

Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Wow, your numbers are way off. Products bought and shipped to stores does not equal players.

Wow. You missed Activision's follow on announcement that 5 day through sales were $325M - which observers have put at over 5M sales to players at the 5 day mark.

Originally posted by doodphace

"The problem is that, millions of gamers around the world use a PC as their primary platform for gaming. In fact, its where shooters and MMOs thrive the most"

That was true up until 2007. Is it amature hour at MMORPG.com? Pretty much every single multiplatform shooter released in the last 5-6 years, sold VASTLY more copies on consoles than on PC. This isnt an opinion at this point...its absolutly provable and documented fact lol.

For example UbiSoft's initial sales of Watch Dogs: 9-11% on PC, 89-91% on console.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see Destiny come to PC but - it is a fact - that PC sales are in the minority when it comes to big title games

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

gervaise1, that is a terrible comparison.  Watch Dogs is single player, Destiny is not.  Look up the numbers on DCUO, FFXIV or FFXI.  I think you'll see what I mean.  If it still proves right, I concede.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    I don't see how this will translate well to PC when aim assist is built so heavily into the game. Many upgrades on weapons upgrades the aim assist. You can't turn it off. It makes PvP even less about skill. I don't see how they make it workable on PC without major changes or just shrug and release it with aim assist there, too.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Great you throw some facts out there while ignoring far more important ones.  Like PC people tend to stick with titles far longer than the console crowd.  They would have sold far more DLC on the PC because of that.   If they could spend time to code it for the PS3, which is a pain in the butt to code for, why not do a PC version that would take far less time?

Ever seen a game on a 4k monitor?  They are going to make consoles obsolete overnight, once the price on them comes down. Won't be this xmas, but watch out for next year.  A console, especially the new ones, are just a bad investment because they are already superceded by new technology.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Reason 1+

Why help consolize MMOs? We've already seen what happened to computer games after the console became dominant... and it didn't work out very well for them. Why think consoles taking over MMOs will be any different?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• ROFLsaurusROFLsaurus Member UncommonPosts: 19

These where VERY hallow reasons, not to play a game. It's fun and overall the controls and general flow of the game are great.

imageI am the ROFLsaurus I go RAWR!!!image

Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

gervaise1, that is a terrible comparison.  Watch Dogs is single player, Destiny is not.  Look up the numbers on DCUO, FFXIV or FFXI.  I think you'll see what I mean.  If it still proves right, I concede.

DC Universe Online:

PS3 - 480k

PC - 250k

PS4 = Launched as F2P, therefore no sales data

Final Fantasy XI: Online

PS2 = 810k

X360 = 320k

PC = No data no data to compare to

Final Fantasy XIV AAR:

PC = 1.15 mil

PS3/4 = 1.04 Mil

So...that's just comparing straight up MMORPGs that were exclusive to the Playstation brand (FFXI was exclusive most of its life).

Look at multiplayer/RPG shooters for your proper comparison, not straight up MMORPGs exclusive to 1 console brand. Borderlands, Destiny, the entire CoD franchise, the last couple BF entries...All of them, every franchise, outsold PC by insane amounts. Battlefield 3 sold 14.12 million on consoles...PC?...2.6 million. Borderlands 2 sold 4.83 million on consols...PC?...730k. Defiance, the most comparable title mentioned so far, sold 780k on consoles, 150k on PC.......The last CoD entry sold 22 MILLION on consoles...PC?...590k....

Its almost laughable to even imply that PC is a large player, let alone important one, in the shooter world anymore.

• AtrayoAtrayo Member UncommonPosts: 64

Hi There,

In many ways what Bungie offered is what they strictly specialized in the hardware architecture of the consoles. Since Destiny isn't even an MMO it's some off shoot (pun intended) that borrows from elements of MMO's. It's one heck of a high priced experiment in styled presentation.

For many of the same reasons David wrote above is why I never got into CCP's Eve Online version of Dust 514 just for the Sony consoles. Now it seems CCP is doing something new with their Valkyrie project based in the same Eve Online universe. Let's hope the adaption for the Occulus Rift VR helm as an accessory for this game built for all platforms goes well.

----------------------
    The Older Gamers

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I played the beta and so glad I did not buy it.

I refrain from being to harsh so I will not get banned again.

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

DC Universe Online:

PS3 - 480k

PC - 250k

PS2 = 810k

X360 = 320k

Final Fantasy XIV AAR:

PC = 1.15 mil

PS3/4 = 1.04 Mil

So...that's just comparing straight up MMORPGs that were exclusive to the Playstation brand (FFXI was exclusive most of its life).

Look at multiplayer/RPG shooters for your proper comparison, not straight up MMORPGs exclusive to 1 console brand. Borderlands, Destiny, the entire CoD franchise, the last couple BF entries...All of them, every franchise, outsold PC by insane amounts. Battlefield 3 sold 14.12 million on consoles...PC?...2.6 million. Borderlands 2 sold 4.83 million on consols...PC?...730k. Defiance, the most comparable title mentioned so far, sold 780k on consoles, 150k on PC.......The last CoD entry sold 22 MILLION on consoles...PC?...590k....

Its almost laughable to even imply that PC is a large player, let alone important one, in the shooter world anymore.

DC Universe, you got me, but others you don't.  Another thing to consider is availability as well...PC has many more MMO's to choose from than any console that could inflate numbers too (but that's only a theory).

As for Battlefield and Borderlands...etc, those are games that placate to the console crowd MUCH better than the PC crowd.  The PC crowd has become almost exclusively MMO/RPG type players....and counter strike...lol.  There is no interest in Co-op games or MOBA type war games...we have lots of those and they are all FTP...we also have Planetside 2 for Battlefield enthusiasts...thus there would be no logical reason to spend 60 bucks on a game when something similar can be had for free.

Lastly, there must be a reason that developers choose to start their MMO's off on PC rather than Console...businesses dont do something to lose money, they do it to gain money.

DC Universe Online:

PS3 - 480k

PC - 250k

PS2 = 810k

X360 = 320k

Final Fantasy XIV AAR:

PC = 1.15 mil

PS3/4 = 1.04 Mil

DC Universe, you got me, but others you don't.  Another thing to consider is availability as well...PC has many more MMO's to choose from than any console that could inflate numbers too (but that's only a theory).

As for Battlefield and Borderlands...etc, those are games that placate to the console crowd MUCH better than the PC crowd.  The PC crowd has become almost exclusively MMO/RPG type players....and counter strike...lol.  There is no interest in Co-op games or MOBA type war games...we have lots of those and they are all FTP...we also have Planetside 2 for Battlefield enthusiasts...thus there would be no logical reason to spend 60 bucks on a game when something similar can be had for free.

Lastly, there must be a reason that developers choose to start their MMO's off on PC rather than Console...businesses dont do something to lose money, they do it to gain money.

Destiny is a shooter first and foremost. Destiny is not an MMORPG....Destiny has more in common with Halo, Borderlands, Call of Duty than it does FFXIV........the audiance for Destiny is the audiance who playes Halo and CoD etc, not DCUO or FFXIV.

With those facts spelled out, its absolutly 100% laughable to imply that Destiny would have sold well on PC in comparison to consoles. The evidance/reality is firmly in my corner on this one friend.

To somehow imply that Destiny is like WoW,  FFXIV, DCUO instead of Call of Duty/Borderlands/battlefield shows just how desperate your argument is.

Back to the article at hand. Im am sure you would agree that the following quote is absoluly laugh out loud insane, considering the numbers I posted earlier about multiplat shooters of the last 5 years?

"In fact, its where shooters (and MMOs) thrive the most""